Starting a Sup Forums forum

I'm thinking of starting a forum or imageboard that is Sup Forums related but much more open. I have web hosting that I purchased for a seperate project but never used. How should I go about making it normie-free? I'm thinking like those forums back in the day with small communities.

Other urls found in this thread:

microco.sm/
n-gate.com/about/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

What do you mean by "much more open"?

you should probably delete it

open in the sense that it rules would be more relaxed than here, so people would discuss things they wouldn't necessarily be discussing here

give 3 examples

also block specific user agents, it'll stop most normies

cp
furry
scat

>rules would be more relaxed than here

If it's just gonna be more Sup Forums shit them I'm not interested

One of the few rules would be not to deviate from tech so no it's not gonna be /poltards/

Yay we're reinventing the wheel it's not like thousands of other people are doing the exact same thing.

do i have to register

Has anyone informed you yet that you can be "politically incorrect" without necessarily being "Sup Forums"

No registration, no images, phoneposters permabanned automatically.

Just make it so it only allows a very old version of Firefox to post so only those that spoof it can post

How do you monetize imageboard exactly?
For example let's look on Sup Forums. It has ads but I and probably majority of other users use some sort of Adblock so it never reach us.
What are some other legitimate ways to gain profit without any shady business models like selling info about your users to some companies.

Genuinely interested in this suject

I'm personally not going to monetize it. I might ask for donations like the Sup Forums pass but idc about money. I'm doing this purely for fun unlike someone

>how do i make it normie free
don’t post about it on Sup Forums

I'm sure there are more than we think that click ads and buy passes. Makes me think of being in Sup Forums related discords. Who would actually pay for meme emojis? More than you think.

Yeah, but I am interested in it.
I just want to know about it because I was thinking about making one too and haveing some profit from it could be nice.
At least enough to cover money I would need to host it.

Honestly profit for niche forums like these is small because most users are tech-savy enough to use adblock. So I'd say just asking for donations is the best course unless you go the hiro way

how will your site be different? and dont say it'll be normie free because you just can't do that, remember 4cha was once normie free

The only money to be made from forums is from adverts and referral links. But then to make enough from them to cover costs you need a very large active user base, which means you will have high server costs. So you'd be lucky for it to not run at a deficit.

Look at using Microcosm for the software, it's much more modern and useable than the old PHP ones. microco.sm/

You don't need to hide the forum to make it an exclusive place, just don't have active sign ups, do user referrals or sign ups at certain times like torrenting forums do.

The less you have publicly viewable the less you have to worry about encountering any legal issues like defamation.

So like private trackers? And have very specific time windows for people to sign up?

If the forum isn't all that specialized and there are alternatives donating doesn't seem like a viable thing. It won't hurt, but probably shouldn't be treated at the main solution.

>I'm thinking of starting a forum

It's almost 2018. Forums are dead. Nobody uses them, nobody cares, you can't make money from a forum, you can't even pay people to post on your forum anymore because all the companies in that space died like 3 years ago. The format is dead.

Go back to shitbook.

Sounds to me like Sup Forums will end up beeing the most free and open board when compared to what's described in this thread. Small torrent sites tend to have powertripping moderators. Some are damn cool, but there is always those moderators that will butt into any conversation, even in threads they do not understand to steer the conversation in a direction they approve of. With signups, you cannot say what you want due to certain ban-happy moderators.

Requiring signups is a hassle and is not needed to keep the community small. Lots of small imageboards and textboards with a nice active userbase. Keep it small, and take donations to maintain your 5 dollar VPS.

I've recently started using forums again. Imageboards are great for getting quick information and soothe the ADD but I've come to crave for forum like sites again. I like having time to make an elaborate reply and others doing the same. You can come back to revisit some topics and information that you might find useful. There's also better moderation. I used to make friends that way back in the 90s and early 00s.

The imageboard model of not keeping history makes costs low.
If you don't even host any content besides text, a forum/message board is very cheap.

This op. Would be soo comfy..Make it dark themed

>How should I go about making it normie-free?
Trying to block them or making it harder to use will only result in no users (which, lets be honest, will probably happen anyway, but that's beside the point). Just make sure that once in a while the user sees some gore/loli/whatever else repels normies.

There was this polish imageboard that put a script that would spam and obfuscate the page with videos/loud music to keep the normies away. Anons would just block the script and keep on shitposting. Then somebody made a blog that was literally titled "how to enter (imageboard name)" with detailed, easy to follow and idiot proof instructions. The blog was the first thing displayed in google search when you googled the imageboard's name.

Basically, you can't stop the normies. If the normies want to use your site they will use it and there's nothing you can do about it. Just look at the imageboard you're currently on.

That's why you have to make them not want to use your site. Sure, stuff like gore isn't foolproof, but it'll take care care of large chunk of the problem, and if you're afraid people will block it, you can always do what advertisers did with native ads.

I think I'll make a general post for Sup Forums in which the people of Sup Forums get to decide what we put on the forum

Oh so you mean it will be a forum about technologies to share cp?
Nothing personnel kid.

That's why you make it difficult or inconvenient to use, normalfags won't use it if they can't treat it as their new social media website

Make a Sup Forums quiz for registration.
The user have to know some basic things to register.

This. Make it some quiz of Computing knowledge so you know the people who post know their shit. It would also serve the dual purpose of a captcha spam-filer.

I have a feeling the quiz is just going to be about opinion you expect someone to share with you, or "facts" you expect people to "know". A safezone without discussion, a safezone for you to affirm your own opinions without being challenged.

I don't know how Sup Forums does it, but my guess would be to start marketing campaigns utilizing thread posting/responding while ridiculing, and banning those that are counter productive to the campaign.

It reminds me of this n-gate.com/about/