What went so right? Will we ever get another operating system that actually works, doesn't outright spy on you (ok...

What went so right? Will we ever get another operating system that actually works, doesn't outright spy on you (ok, just a little) and is compatible with 99% of hardware and software?
What the hell will I do in 2020? Will I have to buy the newest Microsoft Cloud Client Pro that runs the latest version of Windows 12 Cloud Professional, and whenever I'll want to install something, I'll have to download it from the Store(TM) as an App(TM)? The future really is doomed, as abandonware will be the only tool to actually get work done.
inb4
>linux
Yes, I use it, for browsing the web, watching videos, running media servers and cross-compiling code. For anything else,it's pretty much useless, at least for me.
Do you think Win7 will still be usable after its EOL?

Windows 10 LTSB
Better than Windows 7 but a little bit more spyware than Windows 7
Will you give up your privacy for convenience?
No you fucking won't, you're browsing Sup Forums after all

We must believe in linux mint.

Linux and to an increasing extent AOSP got it covered.

If you are sucking on Autodesk's or Adobe's dick or something comparable, that is more your + these companies problem. Not Linux.

>better than Windows 7
>Open game
>Brightness issues at non native resolutions
>Mouse accel fucked

Sure.

Works on my machine

Just because it's a problem for you doesn't mean it's a problem for anyone else, maybe instead of buying shit chink laptops you should buy a HP desktop/laptop

Good looking UI that isn't a flat design meant to speed up rendering on phones and tablets.

Can play DVDs without buying a license.

Not forcing ads to you or selling as much of your data as Windows 10.

Move up to Windows 8.1? It's shittier, but has a slightly longer support period and is more similar to 7 than 10.

Would you ditch a perfectly useable car for a new one just because the latter is ""newer""?

Win7 is fairly fleshed out in terms of security and whatnot and will be perfectly secure after 2020 aswell. EOL is basically just end of official M$ product support, and no one but illiterate pajeets uses that anyways, there will be plenty of inofficial win7 help boards around still.

Even fucking XP received the wannacry security fix earlier this year from M$ despite long being past EOL, with Win7 it will be no different due to its huge market share.

Just keep your MSE/third party security solutions up to date and you will be fine

>What went so right?
it came out just before "muh cloud!" and Social Media integrations became mainstream biz things, when proper home PCs were still not rivaled by portable gadgets and Vista had been BTFO by the criticism.

W7 Ultimate x64 will literally be my last MS product I will use.

>Do you think Win7 will still be usable after its EOL?
Yes. Don't bite the "think of the security risks!!!" bait, again. I know people who still use WinXP, and I keep noticing public devices (ATMs, gas pumps, taxi devices...) that still use it too.

lack of productivity software and mediocre hardware support are legit things to bitch at. GNU/Linux is a very good OS if you use it for stuff like what OP mentioned. Now try editing video, images, recording/mastering/composing audio, simulating and analyzing logic circuits, writing flash memory, or just fucking setting minor printing options to properly print a multipage PDF. You can all do these things, but it's a nightmare, and takes at least twice as long time than doing it in Windows, especially if you're doing it for the first time. Likely there will never be a time when I won't have to dual boot because one OS can't do what the other one can.

Microsoft is a terrible company that needs to die. I hope they continue to make their products less user friendly and make more idiotic UI changes to further run people off their platform. I hope they wreck windows so bad that businesses port all their apps to linux or even OSX.

And to think user, I was about to go back into the wilderness and install windows 10 earlier even though I've used it and know how horrible it is (was going to try LTSB though)

Is text rendering different, I have three monitors with 3 diff resolutions. any improvements? It having native multi monitor task bars is a drawing point for me.

We tried to warn you but you wouldn't listen

>have 2 pcs at work
>shitty old E5500 that sucks running windows 7
>newer Haswell running windows 10
>shitbox gets emails a good 5 seconds before the new one every single time
how did they fuck it up?

I abandoned W10 when, even after a fresh install, shutting down takes about 30 seconds as opposed to W7 that is almost instant.
Also W7 is much more snappy when navigating, so w10 can suck a dick

I wish it wasn't so tiring getting Win 7 to run on newer hardware. MS is purposely locking down their own old shit so you HAVE to upgrade.

Is there a way to upgrade to W10 LTSB from some W7 version?

Pajeet programming

Free upgrade I mean

No.

You cannot obtain LTSB legally unless you are a company (1-man companies are fine). There is no way to upgrade to it as it is a derivative of ENTERPRISE - e.g. you pay 80$ per year per user.

LTSB = barebone of ENTERPRISE
ENTERPRISE = subscription payment to MS

How exactly do you do that? I bought a disc copy of win 7 pro in the market (£50), a rare unexpected item, why would someone spoil their prized possession like that? what do I gain?
I used 8 for ages then 8.1, it was many times better, I used 10 it kept trying to revert my file associations and nagging me like a bitch.

(((((PIRACY)))))

Just switched back to Windows 7 this morning, I hadn't realized just how much worse 10 was. There's so much more customization and it feels so much faster.

>what is a kms activator

>implying i care about not doing legal things

The wine project will be done for the most part when win7's EOL hits.

Screencap this.

>MSE
How annoying is MSE regarding cracks and that sort of thing? It really pissed me off when Avira would automatically detect cracks and delete them.
I don't know if I want to use any AV software, I really despise them, probably common sense will be more than enough for a long time after supports ends.

I'll stick with Windows 7 Ultimate x64 cause it just works. Even after the 2020 cutoff it'll still work fine just keep your antivirus software up to date. Whenever the last MS security rollup comes out, just download it for offline safe keeping as well as other security rollups in case you need to do a clean install or want to make a slipstream install iso image. If you use MSE it'll get updates for eternity (or however long Win Ten is around) thanks to the fact MSE is baked in Win Ten and the core of it is same as standalone download versions

i liked XP more. heck, i liked 98 even more. but yes, W7 was the last good windows

well honestly switching windows 7 to windows 10 was one of the worst things i ever did in my life. god this shit is so bad, i am fucking frustrated whenever i need to use computer. its a fucking game launcher, nothing more.

i hate microsoft so much, im buying a macbook to get the work done as this piece of shit windows 10 is unusable in real work.

Windows 98 GUI was godlike tier
WinMe/2000 was the last great GUI
From there the classic themes are decent, but never quite the same, using the old Plus on 7 helps though.

Fully Win7 X64 Ultimate here.
Would never install Win10 as i classify it as a botnet virus.
I also asked myself what to do if it becomes more and more outdated with the years that go.
I had WinXP professional before and that was truly a masterpiece of operating system. No online registration or activation, no cloud shit that harasses you randomly and asks you to register and give up your privacy.

The tendency of online web installers, online registration and shit just pisses me off.
I want to buy a program, get a key for it and be able to reinstall it as many times i need without online shit.
But these times are sadly gone.

yeah.. nowadays you need to register fucking accounts everywhere, with passwords and shit.. all your steps are traced and saved in clouds etc.. thats sick

there's a way to force old GUI on W7 but i never bothered to do it besides installing programs like classic shell and similar
besides it will still not affect the way various software manages their intergrated GUi parts as they'll still see W7

If the shit continues to get worse, i will fucking go offline again, as i was in the eighties. I don't fucking need that shit internet anymore if it gets reduced to a spy network to steal my private data.
I don't know how old you are, but wasn't the old Amiga and Commodore C64 times great back then?
Meetups with people to share programs and games and shit. Loved it.

Yeah. Thank god all my programs are all "legacy" ones that don't require that shit in order to use them. The garbage that is MS office anymore is just fucking sad. Half the program is online based yet the other half takes up well over 1GB. Yet I can get the same functionality (close to it) or better from MS works 4.5a a program that doesn't use online services and is totally unified with templates that is only 100 meg full install. Just saying. I use office 2007 professional. Yes it's old, but it works and I got my copy for free back in the day (got it from work, some IT dumb ass left the install files + key on a public network share)

im 24, born in 1993. also from 3rd world country. there was only 2 kids in my district owning a playstation, and it was in 2000's. yes i do love these times, getting pirated games from local bazaar, with bizarre russian lector lol. im from poland. i wish internet and computers were just like in pre 2010.

meh...i wish i could still use XP. but unfortunately hardware/software incompatibility forced me to upgrade to 7

muh czarnuch

the last time MS did really major, focused GUI testing was Windows 95, and even then big chunks were just lifted from Apple's System 7 (but I will say that 95's interface is a lot nicer to use)
there's a great writeup where they documented this shit and I can't remember where it is

NT4 didn't get the quite as much user interface testing 95 did and was just "get the new UI working on the NT kernel and slap together some things for the NT-specific bits"
98 was "lol make everything like webpages" but didn't fuck things up too much
2000 tried to make NT4's UI more like 98's.
XP tried to soften up 2000's UI for the home market (didn't need much, and I liked the Luna theme at the time, still kinda do).
Vista just gave everything a glassy sheen, and didn't fuck things up too much worse.
7 insisted on pushing the fucking awful ribbon (no really, it's a UI nightmare, on all levels) but was basically otherwise unchanged from Vista
and then they entirely stopped giving the slightest shit with 8 onwards with its awful basically non-native fullscreen shit
10 is a joke and shoved those into "windows" like if anyone fucking wanted them and all the actually useful settings are in the dialogs that haven't been touched since Win7.

i pamiętam, jak w 1 technikum lurkowalismy z kumplem /s/, nie wiedzac nawet że można wejsc w thread :D i cciagle ogladalismy op + 2 ostatnie obrazki ;D a jak sie balismy, po wejsciu na Sup Forums, masakra :D kiedys bylo lepiej.. własnie zdalem sobie sprawe ile lat siedze na tym pieprzonym 4chanie..

Metro is eye cancer.

I seriously hope the kid that convinced microshaft to use it kills himself for the abomination he brought into this world.

Windows 7 will probably be my last windows. I'm flirting with mint for now, so when the time comes we'll go to town.

Windows 8.1 master race reporting in.

a mi najbardziej szkoda internetu przed 2000. słowo "anarchia" byloby niedopowiedzeniem
chociaż czasy Sega mega drive i gry jak Sonic 3 również ciepło wspominam

I also have saved all my programs as legacy versions. I never bought online forced subscribtions or shit.
As office program i still have MS-Office 97 and a 2002 Version. The 2002 version with a lot of plug ins and stuff. Picture viewer is ACDsee 3.1 from ... god knows how old. It's lightweigt, snappy fast and does all the work perfectly it has to do. Like sorting pictures renaming them in batches and shit.
Use Winamp as a media player (free version), have all my music stored locally as well as all my TV series and movies i am watching with VLC but consider changing or trying out mpv at least.
Have still Photoshop 7.1 in use with a shit ton of plugins. Never felt having any issues with older versions. The quiet opposite, i mostly think that an upgrade nowadays is a downgrade in terms of usability and data security.

>Download 10 LTSB
>NVidia drivers doesn't recognize it as a version of Windows 10 and refuse to install
Might as well install the shitty botnet version since all windows is good for is games

If you find that please share the source, might be interested.

Hmmm.... poland 3rd world country?
Sure, you are not having the same living standards ans we Germans, but i would in no way say that Poland is a 3rd world country.
There is much worse to find, believe me.

niestety, jak mówiłem miałem ps1 i to dopiero w 2000 roku, i to było cos.. wszyscy mieli wtedy klony pegazusow z bazarów.. malo kto mial tutaj komputer jakikolwiek, a mieszkam w katowicach.. ludzie byli szczesliwsi, sam chcialbym urodzic sie z 10 lat wczesniej, jednak i tak ciesze sie z tego co mialem

na komunie dostalem od rodzicow laptopa - toshiba satellite 1800, z grafiką trident cyberblade a1, to pamietam do dzisiaj :D nawet nie obslugiwal rozciagania obrazu na ekranie, i gry w vga byly w okienku malym na srodku ekranu.. to byly czasy.. jak sie gralo z bratem w metal sluga 320x240 w taki sposob...

a wiesz coc jest jeszccze cciekawsze (kuzwa, pierdzieli mi sie przelacznik od C).. ze ten laptop mial podczerwien wbudowaną, i mialem zawsze komorke pelna wszystkiego :D dobre czasy, dali za tego lapa 8000zł wtedy - atechniczni rodzice

actually nowadays we have much higher living standards than you, we can for example freely walk on the streets, or go safely to the town market. you still earn more, and that seems to be the only benefit for you. no offence though.

Botnets don't affect you IRL so why not use them?

Well, that's just am meme. I haven't seen a nigger or shitskin in weeks. and i live in south western Germany near the french and swiss border.
I agree on big cities are a mess.
And i also know the shit will explode here at some later point. But that's Sup Forums stuff.

denying it is a meme.

well i can only say, that i as polack, feel really sorry for all these innocent german people who are daily victims of robberies, beatings, rpes etc.. no matter if in big city, or small. it shouldnt happen at all.. and you still literally pay them to do that, to destroy you. they're your emperors.

it's all about editing shell files and changing some registry values. i was surprised to find out that you actually can customize Windows pretty much just like any Linux, it's just way harder and time-consuming to do that
anyway i bumped into this shit like...7 years ago? so i don't remember where i saw it

>Implying

my też mamy kebabów w wawie od chuja. tylko u nas boją się fiknąć a tam mają dzielnice. jakby ich rozproszyli to też by nie fikali

I fully agree with you and i am also pissed to the max. But it is in no way that horrible than people pretend it to be on Sup Forums and i mean i have lived in Berlin for most of my life. I could always go wherever i wanted and was not attacked daily or had to fight with them.
But i admit i had some incidents over the years where i had to kick asses and once had to stab a nigger.

>boją

srają, a nie boją. kogo? polaczkow? jak my jestesmy mentalnie wciaz za murzynami. na bluzach polska walczaca patrioci a swojego bez zastanowienia skroi. po prostu jeszcze ich za mało zeby na jakas duza skale cos odwalali. z reszta zobacz ile lat uzeramy sie z cyganami, i są u nas panami.

pewnie ze sie boja. gdyby u nas kebab zaczepial dzieczyny to by dostal ostry wpierdol. moze w wawie by mu jeszcze jakos uszlo ale w mniejszych miastach po nim
a cyganie to inna sprawa. ale oni nie odpierdalaja tak bardzo jak uchodzcy u niemca

nie? hahah, człowieku czym ty sie ludzisz. od kogo by dostal wpierdol? od pedalka w kujonkach, czy od zapijaczonego patusa? czlowieku polak polakowi wilkiem.. z reszta masz racje. raz na sto ktos by zainterweniowal i telewizja by huczala caly miesiac a patrioci wypisywali po necie.. u nas pod silesia city center wieczorem nie tak dawno jakis brazowy zaczepial ludzi ktorzy wchodzili, i myslisz ze ktokolwiek zareagowal? hahah obudz sie. polak nie zareaguje chocby cie tlukli a ty bys wolal o pomoc.

>boja sie

powiedz mi, czego? cyganie zyja na socjalu, nie pracuja, kradna, biją, a jezdza bmkami i mercecdesami, z maczetami w bagaznikach. i oni sie boją?

myslisz, ze niemccy tez tak sie nie łudzili? łudzili a jak wyszło to kazdy widzi, w anglii w londynie zainterweniował raz na tyle ataków kibic i już ludzie pojebani okrzykneli kibiców zbawcami... w przypadkacch gdy ludzie nie chca dopuszczac do siebie prawdy, to wyjątek stanowi regułę.. ale troche sceptycyzmu, jestem wychowany w prawdziwym wręcz getcie, więc pato-srodowisko czyli "chopakow z ulicy" znam z 1 reki.

Funny thing is if you fight a muzzie that pisses you off, they instantly lose their balls.
They are only mouthy in groups.
And they are not used to get shit back if they behave like monkeys. But if you as i said confront them, they pee their pants.

I saw some "tutorial" by a russian guy that made Windows 8.1 look like pic, but even my autism wasn't enough to achieve it, I tried on a VM and could not make it look even close. The best part is that apparently it even had DWM enabled so there isn't screen tearing, thing I could not achieve on Windows 7 using the classic theme so I can't even watch a video on YT without switching to Aero.

>od kogo by dostal wpierdol? od pedalka w kujonkach, czy od zapijaczonego patusa?
nie boj zaby. znam ja takich co by dali po mordzie za glupsze rzeczy (po pijaku nawet bez powodu)
swoje odsiedzieli juz ale nie zawahaja sie byc rycerzami gdyby zobaczyli taka scene
jasne, im tez mozna wpierdolic. ale masz gwarancje ze zbiora ekipe i tez ci predzej czy pozniej wpierdola a takie pojedyncze kebaby sie zastanowia 2 razy czy im sie to oplaci

I installed this today for a new build after dealing with W10 on my laptop. FUCK WINDOWS 10

If you read these backwards they almost form an engish sentence.
Its probably a cesar cypher, or some bullshit limp-script.

That doesn't make sense; WINE will have to keep supporting new features like DX12.

well, using resource hacker, i made some simple adjustments to my W7 like changing colour
as i said: it's really hard and time-consuming to change everything. tho i'm pretty sure that you can salvage most of it from older systems

Would be great is I just could copy the Windows Explorer files from 98 or 2000 and use that instead, but doesn't work.
It worked from 95 to 98.

Tak tak, wierz sobie w to dalej.

wybierz sie kiedys na wjazd na chate to sam zobaczysz jak wyprowadzaja gosciowi dziecko z domu zeby nie widzial jak masakruja jego starego

Can someone explain what the difference between Vista and 7 really was? Vista seems very under rated.

Try POSReady 7, it end support ~1 year 10 months after Ultimate.

That only applies to W7/8.1 from Starter, Home/Core (includes region/language locked), Pro and Ultimate to Windows 10 Home/Pro. Every other edition is exempted from the free upgrade. Windows Thin PC? No. Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 Workgroup? No.

If you want a digital license of LTSB for cheap, it can still be done. Basically you need to buy a MAK online and convert it to Digital License by installing the default OEM_NONSLP key for the various editions after activation with the MAK. Of course, this method is still not legit on paper.

Now you must purchase subscriptions? How about MAKs then? Isn't subscriptions only for the Kill MySelf models? The only thing I know is that to use LTSB you must purchase the more expensive E5 subscription instead of the E3 one. I am pretty sure however there are still bulk purchases (minimum 5 AFAIK) available for non-subscription Licenses.

hey hey hey nicht so rassistisch hier ne

since we're on the topic on win7, does anyone have a list of the spyware/shitty updates since i need to do a fresh install?

Likewise, I recently switched to Xubuntu, also worth the try. It's so much faster than Windows 10 and it's not a botnet. Feels good man.

You automatically avoid all of them if you install WES7. Of course, you still have to install the security only updates manually otherwise the quality one will be installed.

>being this new
Go back to plebbit, retard.

OCN has a thread dedicated to this

Indisputably the best desktop OS ever made!

OCN?

>windows 2000+
>works
wew