The best CPU AMD has ever made

The best CPU AMD has ever made

Other urls found in this thread:

spec.org/cpu2000/results/res2002q1/cpu2000-20020114-01202.html
spec.org/cpu2000/results/res2002q1/cpu2000-20020114-01177.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Wrong

Absolutely, still blasting this bad boy at 4 GHz

That was my first proccesor, worked well until gaymen. Then hopped on the intel train.

1090T fag here, can t believe they managed to make bulldozer wich performed worst than this.

I have one 955 rev c3 in my machine and have no need to replace it. Still good to go. My hd6870 had to go to the oven though.

1055t here, see no reason to replace it in the near future.

Good Job Mr AMD You Made a Good CPU

this faggot is correct

The Athlon thunderbird socket A variant destroyed Intel to its core

not really an FX-8370 can clock to 5Ghz with ease and stomp

>best cpu ever
>slower than ryzen in everything

Phenom II x4 955 running in my main rig. No need to replace it, recently applied new thermal paste to keep her going for long time to come.

newfag to pcs here how is a threadripper for intesive gaming?

threadripper is as good or better than ryzen for gaming. just a higher tdp.

Still using mine, what a wonderfull trip we've been on, but i'm looking into buying a new system.
Goodbye my old love.

Clock speed alone don't mean shit. True story: Swapped out a Phenom II 3.20Ghz for FX 8300. The FX 8300 has 8 cores each @3.30 Ghz so on paper you'd think the FX would dominate. Wrong, even though I kept all hardware the same in classic UT/Q3a tests the gameplay was worse with FX. Jerky/stuttering play. Applying all cpu patchs/game tweaks didn't fix the problem. Swapping back in the Phenom yielded butter smooth game play. But not to worry. The FX is now the brain of my Server. A task it excels at.

Wrong again!

That thing loved being raped by Pentiums

>The FX is now the brain of my Server. A task it excels at.
true and no PSP backdoor, specifically bought some new spares on the cheap just for the unveiling of the Intel ME vulnerability.

modern hardware is overpriced garbage
i long for the previous era

Back in the day, the Socket 939 ruled for gameing/general use tasks.

>That thing loved being raped by Pentiums
kek, Pentium 4 at 2ghz could not beat a 1Ghz Thunderbird, try harder Intel soy boy

It's hilarious how people are shilling ryzen so hard and yet every single benchmark out there shows that kaby lake still beats it in gaming and coffee lake which destroys kaby lake is only priced like $10 more than equivalent memezen processors.

AMD finally caught up to 2 years ago.

>still beats it in gaming
opinion discarded

At some point you hit a wall. If the games you play now are getting 70- 100 FPS at high res/w all setting jacked to the max and your other daily tasks are running smooth/fast then what would scrapping your existing setup gain you? Nothing. So what if upgrading your cpu gains you 15 min on Video Encoding. Hell to really get results with large video task just re purpose an old tower for just doing video work. Run it headless. Just RDP into it, tell it to crunch video or video batch job, then logoff and do other shit on your main rig.

Northwoods could beat Athlons easily. Having a lower clock didn't mattered since AMDs couldn't go past 2ghz anyway. Also, P4s used to overclock much better, if you didn't cared about putting your house on fire

I agree dude, still enjoy my pc, but gotta admit i wanna take the leap to a 3x 1440p setup, and my setup won't do that.
But definitely keeping it for memories when i'm old.

Replaced my 965 with a 1700. It was a good run.

Tried throwing in a Bulldozer/whatever once but my motherboard, despite having the same socket and a later revision that added AM3+ support in BIOS, didn't work.

>falling for the upgrade path bullshit

>I own THING
>I'm ME
>Thus, THING must be best THING ever
Self-serving bias, ughh.

You do know CPU scores still exists from that time right? Everything AMD had at the time was better performing and cheaper than Intel.

thats not the X4 965 Black

The X2 555 was better. It was a 955 sold at half price.

>Also, P4s used to overclock much better,
Well until you'd contacted SNDS.

Went from p4 2ghz to a 64 3000+ back in 2006. Fps increased from 30 to 90+ In counterstrike source. Shit was cash

Opteron-185 Dual Core 2.6 Ghz; highest clocked cpu made for Socket 939. Tied with the FX 55 clock speed wise, but is dual core compared with single core FX 55. Still got my Opty 185 system in storage, fully intact. Also got an Opty 170 w/4GB ram and Mirco atx board combo in box that used to be the core of my old server back in the day.

Agree, even my old Athlon 64 3000+ with winchester core performed better than Intels Pentiums that were much more expensive.
I could even cool that thing totally passive. I used a scythe ninja rev B vor that. and it also worked during gaming and video rendering without ever overheating.
This prop may not have been the most powerful, but the fact that it was possible to cool it completely passive and was relatively energy efficient made it a great processor.

Besides RAM, prices are pretty low considering what you get. You can get a six core, twelve-threaded Ryzen for a little over 200USD and a motherboard for like 100USD.

that 3000+ must have been dirt cheap in 2006.
I bought mine as seen in pic of my previous comment in 2003 if i recall this correctly.

Thats Not an Opteron 165

Athlon 64 != Athlon XP

That isn't the X6

And then came C2D and the i series to rein supreme until Ryzen

i still use this processor, its awesome!

nice

2008 - pc built had Athlon X2 6000 3.0 Ghz cpu, lucky board was an AM2+. so two years later was able to drop in a Phenom II x4 955 with no problems. Few years later upgraded the motherboard to shatter the old DDR2 4GB ram limit and to gain SATA III/USB 3 support, kept the Phemon II x 4 cpu and maxed out the board with 32GB DDR3 ram. Still got the old X2 6000,AM2+ board/w 4GB ram still in box.

spec.org/cpu2000/results/res2002q1/cpu2000-20020114-01202.html
spec.org/cpu2000/results/res2002q1/cpu2000-20020114-01177.html
AMD and Intel's flagship desktop chips as of January 7, 2002. Doesn't look like a blowout to me.

Don't bitch about the Intel system being a workstation either because the Athlon MP 2000+ scores are even worse.

I still use an AMD Phenom II X4 ~2.8 GHz

>AMD Phenom II X4 ~2.8 GHz
AMD Phenom II 925 X4 ~2.8 GHz **

Was using it until early this year when my shitty Elitegroup mobo died. It's just sad to think it's sitting in my basement alone after all those years of hard work

You mean 1100T Black Edition??

It didn't really come out until much late (December 2010), plus most a lot of programs didn't really benefit from having a hexacore in 2010.

The FX60 was 939 Dual-Core at 2.6Ghz, it practically matched the Opteron 185

Any pre-Ryzen AMD CPU is trash.

t. 1400 owner who never touched AyyMD until Ryzen

eh, in no particular order:
>athlon 64 3200+
>intel e6600
>intel q6600
>amd r5 1600
>intel 2500k
>intel 8700k

See this and stop being underage.

>living in the past
Grow up, faggot.

Who is living on the past? I just refuted your wrong post with a fact. Faggot.

Fuck the 2500k, the whole sandy bridge line was the bees knees from the 2500k, to the 3960X every one was a winner :^) I know this to be a fact because I'm still using a 3930k.

Those CPU are trash for today's standards, so, in fact, any pre-Ryzen AMD CPU is trash.

>using retarded logic
Please kill yourself asap idiot. Also, Ryzen is garbage. Only the Threadripper is useful if you actually are going to use all those fucking cores.
I bet you bought the Ryzen to play games like the fucking retard you are.

Yes goy only Intel can provide the performance I need to play games with my 1080ti and 720p monitor.

Used to have atholon 64 3000+. Bought it 2005 i think this little beast got me all the juice I wanted till 2011

even after i got my ryzen,I still got my X3 455 in case i'm having a tinfoil moment or something nasty gets leaked, though i doubt it's as bad as ME

Thats not the Ryzen 1600.

The Opteron 156 3ghz was the fastest clocked cpu released for socket 939. Tho only a single core, but with full 1mb cache.

And I actually have a Opteron 190 2.8ghz dualcore. It was only availeble for buisness customers on special order, its hella rare.

There were a couple models clocked at 3.1ghz also floating around as engineering samples, but not released. And they were only 512kb cache singlecores too.

My all-time fav amd cpu will always be my Opteron 175.
Stock at 2.2ghz, but overclocked it to 3.2ghz on water on my DFI Lanparty NF4-d with 4gb ocz ram @ 268mhz 3-3-3-8.
Had it as my main system up until late 2009, pic related.

Socket 939 was the most fun platform I have ever had.

I'll see if I have a pic of my 190 aswell.

>Bought a S939 processor
>They replaced it within the same fucking year
Same moment I resolved to never buy AMD ever again. At least Intel sockets have performance longevity, even if I have to swap sockets every gen.

>Opteron

Man, i had a very similar setup. thanks for sharing

its almost like the timeframe and pricepoint important to an argument

Underage detected, bulldozer and Piledriver was their only bad CPUs

I have a 1055T, runs like a charm.
Only the GPU is shit these days a AMD 5770, but i don't know if any newer card will run with my old mainboard.

How's the power consumption of those?
Currently using a Asrock Q1900 with an embedded j1900. Would like to upgrade. Shouldn't use too much power and should be a bit faster, if possible.

What a well-thought reply

The phenom is just amazing, still runs most the shit my friend thorws at it, and runs good too.

AMD did a great job with phenom, LONG LIVE YOU DIRTY DAWG!