So tell me what was the reasoning behind to remove headphone jack...

So tell me what was the reasoning behind to remove headphone jack? Is there going to be microusb headphones/iem's or what?

Wireless. Mobile devices of the future will not have connections just for headphones. It would be a waste of space. You really think in 20 years you'll still be plugging things into a 3.5mm jack on a phone? Think again.

I think the official excuse was thickness of the phone? tbf, if they put two usb-c connectors on a phone, I'd be okay with the TRS jack going away

Do you really think people want to charge 50 different devices in 20 years?

Several reasons.
1. They want make thinner and thinner phones.
2. You can't environmentally seal a headphone jack.
3. Closing the 'analog hole'; with only 'authorized' digital-only devices they can enforce DRM 100% of the time (well, at least for non-technical people, the rest of us can hack things and still create our own 'analog hole' to copy things).

There needs to be real major advancements in battery technology this to really happen. I don't want to charge some IEM's every 2 hours.

"Because Apple did it". Sensible manufacturers didn't remove jack.

They said the same thing about USB connectors.
This. If they're going to be stupid and just start taking features away in the name of "progress", at least give me a trade off. Bluetooth headphones are shit. I don't want yet another device that requires charging before I head out the door. Just give me a secondary USB C port. If everyone started doing this, we'd start seeing a lot more USB C devices.

Do you really think charging devices is going to be the same as it is today in 50 (FIFTY) years? Think, fucking think for 3 seconds before you post.

Apple definitely thinks that, and everyone else will just copy whatever they're doing.

WTF
Even the Xiaomi Mi A1 has the 3.5mm jack and its little bit thinner than the iPhone X.

Induction charging is a meme

Don't USB C headphones already exist?

Do you really think it isn't? How many billions have gone down the "make batteries not shit" hole over the last ten years? How many new battery technologies have come out in return?

>2. You can't environmentally seal a headphone jack.

Bull-fucking-shit you can't. I've owned every Galaxy S Active phone from the original S4 Active (which came out well over 4 years ago) through the S7 Active and they all had water-resistant ratings WITH HEADPHONE JACKS, and so does the S8 Active but I have no use for that model since it does away with the vastly superior physical buttons that really prove themselves useful on a rugged-class device.

There are a vast number of other water-resistant smartphones with headphone jacks as well so, son, try harder next time you fucking stupid person.

>fucking stupid people will be the death of us all

eat shit and die faggot kid

Every decision in the mobile device market revolves around planned obsolescence, pushing proprietary hardware, and corner cutting.

The latter two play into the headphone jack, ie. Pushing proprietary wireless headphones/eDACs, and saving costs by using boards without onboard AMPs which are much cheaper to make when you don't have to clean every source of power on the board for a proper noiseless audio signal.

The meme about it being to "save space" and "waterproof" are bullshit negotiations they tell consumers.

>1. They want make thinner and thinner phones.
At the time of release there was a phone a full 2mm thinner than the iPhone 7 that had a headphone jack. It might be required for the sake of the thinness meme at some point, but it wasn't necessary at that juncture.

To sell more dongles.
>Just give me a secondary USB C port.
How many weeks do you think your cable is going to last before it dies because of the torsion?
Kinda, they have to include DAC of their own so you're paying more for worse quality.
>They want make thinner and thinner phones.
Then why is iPhone7 thicker than 6?
>You can't environmentally seal a headphone jack.
Simply false. Even speakers can be sealed.
>DRM
I think that's the reason. They already did that with display cables, it's time for audio now.

>everybody has 3.5mm headphones
>sales decrease
>hmmm what can we do to sell shit again
>call apple

I think it looked like this

If the Galaxy S5 can have a removable battery+SD card slot+headphone jack+water resistance in 2014, other phone makers have no excuse in 2018

to make people switch to the new standard. apple did this many times in the past.

Apple wants to make a portless iPhone, that lightning port is next up for the chopping block.

To force wireless headphones on the consumer, just more evidence most of these companies don't give two shits about quality of anything.
>just listen to compressed music lol

No, it went like this

>those headphone manufacturers are making a killing selling headphones that work with our product, if only we could get a piece of that pie
>we don't actually wanna make good headphones though
>I know
>remove the port they all use and leave only a proprietary standard we can charge them to implement if they want to sell to Apple users
>bonus: we get to palm off the cost of the DAC onto them because that's now the peripheral's job

I don't understand this DRM thing. I can watch pirated movies with my HDMI cables without a problem.

I'd really like to see how are they going to put that in a headphone. Excluding cans of course.

Everything Apple does is a CIA mind control experiment to see what people will put up with.

Are your really that stupid or just pretending?

They have DRM stripped from them. If you simply ripped a movie from a disk you wouldn't be able to watch it.

I bought two pairs of IEMs recently. Identical aside from one being wired and one being Bluetooth. 4.0, APT-X or whatever the latest shit is. £50 all in, I'm no audiophile but I can clearly hear the difference. I've listened to some very expensive Bluetooth headphones as well and I could still hear the distortion. When is it going to not be shit?

>2.

I have an S7, which has a USB and 3.5mm jack on the bottom. Both are permanently exposed, both are waterproof, both have been dunked in fresh and salt water a shit ton and both still work.

With the current speed of development, yes.
Granted, someone might come along and offer a battery source that lasts for 30 years, but with our current understanding of thermo dynamics, that is not possible, especially not safely enough that I would want to use it on a headset.
Now if it was really inconvenient to plug in a headset I could understand that someone wanted it gone.
I don't really care what kind of plug is used, jack was the only plug that had potential to last though. The main selling point of usb-c is that you could use it for a lot of things (if anyone dares to develop for it) and it is reversible.
But jack was rotation invariant, so reversible is a huge step back.
As for not plugging the headphone in at all, I personally don't like that, I find it inconvenient and cumbersome. Phones are already terrible for everything we use them for today as no competent programmer wants to waste time on mobile, but wireless is a terrible meme people like in theory but it isn't that great when it is used.
Bluetooth terrible, but it is the best we got for this sort of thing and I know it will keep changing, making people buy more and more headsets for no reason.
We should really aim to make good design decisions instead.

because of the cable?

Because of the hardware on the end of the cable.

who charges their phone and listens at the same time? nobody. usb does the same thing.

People with small batteries aka iphone owners.

I also cannot wait for nuclear powered earbuds.

>2017
>microusb

Please leave.

>It would be a waste of space.
(You)

>anecdotal statement
>"e-everyone does it"
(You)

COURAGE

3.5mm jack was open source
That was a no no for Apple

And like clockwork, everyone copied them

>Closing the Analog hole
Like that is going to stop anyone, as if anyone actually records from there headphone port. we already have a billion ways to pirate music digitally so why would anyone even think about getting a analog recording for something they want, unless there trying to stop people recording to cassette or something

>Beats was a dying company
>Apple bought Beats
>Beats still weren’t selling
>Beats made wireless headphones
>Apple removed the headphone jack on its iPhones to boost sales of said Beats wireless headphones
>Apple makes money

I highly doubt beats would bring in more profit than apple's own airpods

You first faggot old gen x cock sucker you fucking dinosaurs are butt fucking this planet just die so we an innovate already

This. I was forced to move from a Galaxy S5 to an S6 Edge, and somehow battery life has regressed.

Removing the headphone jack in favour of USB-C makes sense because USB-C can carry an analog signal. You lose out on the freely rotatable connector and charging while listening but since Android phones have big batteries it's fine. Apple's completely fucked up though because any lightning headphones or lightning to 3.5mm dongle requries it's own DAC, and iphones have absolutely anemic batteries that can barely power the phone(see:throttlegate) so when you have to plug it in midday you can't listed to music.

>"didn't remove jack"

I see what you did there

>>everybody has 3.5mm headphones
Enjoy your fragile cables and connectors, jacklets!

This, the truth is when Apple commits to something the rest will follow.

good shit user

The Nexus 6P does not have this problem

Can't have high-quality analog audio output, you might illegally record the music and pirate it you little fucknugget. Switching to a digital output is the first step on the road to AIDS DRM.

>So tell me what was the reasoning behind to remove headphone jack? Is there going to be microusb headphones/iem's or what?

Stupidity.....

>we want only one port on our devices
>so that port wears out faster

DRM
Easy can grab (adapters)
Makes Apple sell more headphones (they were probably planning that since they bought Beats)

>So tell me what was the reasoning behind to remove headphone jack?

Time Cook felt "intimidated" by the massive size of the 1/8 inch male plug...

Reduction of mechanical connections/features to reduce points of physical failure. Removing them also reduces weak points in the frame since they don't have to drill a hole through it. Also reduces costs as you have less parts and don't need to machine extra openings.
However as this pushes consolidation of physical connections to the remaining ones, if that connection breaks, you're kind of fucked.

simple, so we can buy their overpriced garbage easy-to-lose adapters and shitty bluetooth headphones, also designed to be easy to lose.

Its easier for the government to control wireless frequency instead of a hardwire.
I bet in a few years when bluetooth headphones come standard with smartphones, the government will soon start broadcasting ads into your ears at random intervals.

Think of it like the Kingsman movie but with wireless routers.

I absolutely love the fact that some people actually fell for excuses like
>"to save space"
>"because muh thinness"
or
>"to make the phone more sealed"

These excuses are an absolute joke.
The newer iPhone X is the thickest in a while and you don't see any apple designer losing their shit, do you?
And for the love of kek do tell me again what's the IP rating of iPhone X, 8, and 7? It's IP67. There are phones with a headphone jack that scored a glorious IP68. Even the normalfag Galaxy S8 has an IP68 rating.

Your move, cucked faggots.

It's going to be a lot simpler when everything has wireless charging.

>going to bed
>set down phone, watch, and headphones on charging pad
>100% by morning

>I just don't see how they're going to put this in a headphone

>I offer no proof for how things will be but I imply they will be completely different than they are now

That's a lot of words to say nothing, user.

this. thsi. tihs. tshitsih th

Jews

They wanted the phones even thinner for some stupid reason.

and the sad thing is, most consumers won't only believe those lube-for-the-anal-fuck reasons, oh no no.. They will fucking defend them too
>fucking stupid people will be the death of us all

Unless you make the tops of desks and nightstands charging pads, (Which will probably never happen as wood isn't conductive) this will just be more annoying than plugging each device in

>wood is the only material nightstands are made of
>it's impossible to lay veneer over a wireless charging antenna

>Implying anyone with taste would ditch wood shit for a shitty plastic topped nightstand

>ignoring the veneer

Wait, I'm a brainlet when it comes to this shit but, can you charge it from a couple inches away?

If you cranked more power through the antenna, sure. But veneer's pretty thin, it shouldn't be an issue if you just had a small depression for the antenna and ran a thinner sheet across everything

oh you

forced obsolescence.

They are making you buy new gadgets you don't need.

>proof

What the fuck are you expecting from me, a treasure trove of information pertaining to how companies are going to do things with the shit that's discovered along FIFTY YEARS from now? I can't see into the future Are you that fucking dumb? You think audio in 50 years or wireless transmission or batteries are going to be just the same as they are today. Right. Ok. You're telling me that audio is going to be the same in the year 2067? You're fucking dumb.

Why can't anyone here think outside the box, we're talking 50 years here, FIVE ZERO, and some of you are sat there thinking in terms of today's tech and its inconveniences then attaching that to what you think the future will be. There will be paradigm shifts in that time. Nigger we don't even know what the fuck the computing standard will be in 50 years, we could have fucking sci-fi shit and you're not able to imagine any significant changes in audio in that time.

Fuck off, retard.