Build Thread

OK.... so, my car got hit in the parking lot last week and I have about 900 bucks coming to me. The damage is easily fixable myself.... so now I have SOME cash to build an economical gaming rig. I have not attempted this in a good decade, and know only what recent research has uncovered. Could use some advice/suggestions on cheaper/better options. Current concept and parameters to follow....

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/XhWcQV
pcpartpicker.com/list/xQQzm8
pcpartpicker.com/user/ozzymandias420/saved/gcW6XL
buyitdirect.ie/p/asrock-intel-b250m-ddr4-lga-1151-micro-atx-motherboard-b250m-hdv?refsource=BIDIEadwords&gclid=Cj0KCQiAyZLSBRDpARIsAH66VQKH1EYXrJ7pqSyyz6kQpYNsyJsIrMLMib_ypUuAartlbW9zZHFZb2UaArGZEALw_wcB
pcpartpicker.com/user/ozzymandias420/saved/NNXZ8d
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

So.... i am looking for something I can build in the $600-$800 range that I can upgrade in the future when needed. None of that store-bought integrated BS......

been watching some youtube videos and reading some recent articles on stuff.... so have a VAGUE idea what I want to do, but seeing as I am nowhere near up to date on stuff, I easily forsee an oversight....lol

Not looking to play anything very complex as of yet.... just want something that gets a decent fps on league of legends or overwatch....ect.

Tower - Be Quiet pure base

STFU and go make one you fucking retard

cooling - be quiet dark rock

Holy fuck stop this

thinking i5 ... cuz cant afford a 7....

be quiet 600w PS

Shit

already have a pny 480gb SSD

ok.... if shit.... what would you suggest as a $200-$250 processor? Ryzen?

Terrible
>Pny
Lmao

Motherboard.... IDK?

been seeing alot of people sayiing asus?

Which one of these 2 1070tis I should get? my focus here is best cooling, specially VRM so it lasts a while.
>Asus model ROG-STRIX-GTX1070TI-A8G-GAMING
>EVGA model 08G-P4-5671-KR

Can't find a hardware jesus review of either of them sadly and I'm pretty sure the 1080 review he did uses another revision of the cooler.

16 gb Ram..... but depending on article... some say ddr3, some say ddr4?

does it really matter unless playing very complex games at 4k?

also regarding ram.... significant difference between corsair , and say, ripsawz?

DDR3 vs DDR4 depends on what your motherboard supports. That's pretty much the only difference. Won't see much real-world performance increases just because you're using DDR4 RAM. Shop for a mobo and get whatever RAM is needed.

i5 8400
Gtx 1060 6gb
At least 8gb of ram, speeds don't matter, ddr3 or 4 depends on the motherboard and processor
Any mobo will do since it's a budget build, just get one with decent reviews

The parts I didn't mention you chose OK. The only thing you'll upgrade in the foreseeable future is the graphics card. If you don't plan on overclocking you don't need an aftermarket cooler, stock is fine.

Go to the /pcbg/ theard and assemble your part list in Pc part picker

Not true

2666/3200mhz ddr4 hits peak efficiency in the bulk of applications. this gives 5-10% higher lows in most games.

if you are optimizing, every little helps

>1070ti
>for Overwatch and League
y tho

Back to r/pcmasterrace faggot

Hmm, guess I've just learned something then. Thanks senpai

>this thread

The last two games I played were sleeping dogs and nioh.
Sorry fampai I just want something better than my 960 and I was going to gift to a family member, may as well waste my hard earned shekels and buy a better one for me.

Now choose one and tell me why I'm a retard who should buy that one instead of the other.
From the little info of that specific revision of the evga model, it doesn't have a backplate but it has some weird "mid" plate where it touches the VRMs which is good but the stryx does have pads who touch directly to the VRMs and a backplate.

I wish steve had a look on both models but he skipped the 1070tis completely.

I don't even know what that is. That's what I would do if I were him, if you know so much about the subject why didn't you contribute to the thread yourself?

get a refurb office pc and a 1050ti
1060 if you want to push it

does motherboard matter so far as inputs and outputs and sh*t?

like... if I wanna hook my 4k tv up... and my stereo?

is that all through the 1060 now?

last time i built a pc... sound cards mattered XD

sidenote... that dude asking about the 1070ti wasn't me.... and those game were intended as an indicator of the types of games I play. Nothing super demanding so far as I know?

Nice blogpost

>get a refurb office pc
I'm not buying a new pc I'm just upgrading my gpu..
My shitbox first gen i7 is still werking.

I'm more worried about making this new gpu last 5 to 10 years that's why I wanted the one with the best vrm cooling.

Thanks bby gilded you and upvoted :^)

You've been memed my friend
I picked up 4 1050 TIs from different brands and all of them advertise a 40 year office life and a 10 year full load life

heard good things about red dragon for a cheap keyboard and mouse?

Faggot brain

>I have about 900 bucks coming to me. The damage is easily fixable myself
you do understand that's called insurance scam, right? I hope they see this shit and fucking sue your ass

>posting each part one by one instead of a comprehensive list
>Sup Forums pls be my personal tech support
>i can't do research on my own
God I hope sage still works.

WTF I love office 1050 tis now.

i am planning a paint job and a few other things for the spring already..... no sense in getting it fixed now? Sure will take the cash for what it WOULD cost to fix it though....

>been on Sup Forums for a year now
>see people say sage on shit threads
>start doing it
>no idea what it means

it does nothing.

i listed each seperate so people could reply to each item .....

was fairly clear about the part where i have no clue about this new shit.... so figured would pay to ask?

yeah but what does it mean?
is it a call to mods?

Do you use a lot of: PCI slots, USB and SATA? If the answer is no then you can get the cheapest asus motherboard and you're good, otherwise you should look for one that suits your needs.
Yes, your TV goes on the GPU, the audio goes on the motherboard, you won't have a problem hooking it up to your stereo, speakers and headphones at the same time if you want.
For the games you want to play even a 1050ti would be fine, but you probably will play more demanding games as time goes by, and you're better off with a decent card from the beginning

Leave

There's a stupid questions thread, AND a PC Building General on the catalog.

The second one has a FAQ in the OP.

It does nothing.

i5 8400 $210
gtx 1060 6bg $280
case $90
fan $35
SSD - already own
Ram chips - $150
power supply $65
motherboard $100-$120
key and mouse $50

comes out to about 1000.... and thats no software....

anywhere i can cut back and still be fairly functional, or wait for another 2-300 extra bucks?

First make sure the motherboard is the same socket as the processor. You don't need a cooler if you won't overclock. You don't need to pay for software. You can get the 1050ti instead, but you'll probably feel the need to upgrade sooner. If you can't afford it yet, don't go any lower on the specs, it's not worth it, wait until you have more money.

Shitty gaming build for my teenage nephew, budget is $400.

pcpartpicker.com/list/XhWcQV

Not sure what he wants to play except probably terraria and minecraft, and skyrim/fallout.

so I don't need to drop 100 bucks or more for windows 10? cool....

was uncertain if you could still get away with bootlegs of it....

R8s? Criticism wanted! pcpartpicker.com/list/xQQzm8

(case is expensive but I like the design and have the cash)

Certainly not. Use a software called AutoKMS after installing it using any ISO you find.

RAM is too expensive, get a generic stick.

i5 coffee lake has better performance and is cheaper. The white theme will look nice once it's built

This.. and What about a case?

Anything not on that list is going to be secondhand from my old shit, case, psu, m/kb, hdd.

Still 8gb ram, or less or more?

Which Coffee Lake? like 8600k?

bretty new to intel desu, used to be an AMD fag

been tinkering on that build website... but when compatibility mode is on, it does not give me any options for a motherboard

something conflicting ?

Any, starting from 8400. It's better than the i7 7700k.

Just check the CPU socket and check the mobo specs to see what socket it is.

got it.... picking the ram first goofed it up...lol

>buying 7th gen when 8th gen bumped up core count
this is bait

you'll need a z370 motherboard there are no other boards that work with 8th gen intel right now

pcpartpicker.com/user/ozzymandias420/saved/gcW6XL

^^ that's what I came up with without going overly cheap.....

decent?

mobo has 4 slots.... do I want 4 X 4gb or 2x 8gb?

4 4's cheaper than 2 8's? ect....

not seeing many cheaper options :/

All looks good, if you can afford it just buy it already. Number of sticks doesn't make a difference, just go with whatever is cheaper

>LGA1151
You realize most new mobos are going to be socket 2066 or the AMD equivalent right? Your i5 won't support ddr4 either afaik. Your i5 won't work with new mobos either. Nothing about this system you're outlining will be future receptive at all.

>PNY SSD
Yeah this is bait.

sorry your i5 will support 1st gen ddr4 but that mobo won't

ok... any comparable suggestions?

not bait... just the only one best buy had on the day I went for one , year or two ago....

can not stress this enough.... nothing in this bread is bait.....

I am seriously out of the loop and have been reading everything I can find this week before making an attempt.....

not looking to drop 1k on a paperweight.....

user go to logicalincrements.com.

Go to
And
In simple words, for a gaming computer get a I5-8600K, A 212 EVO, a nice Z370 motherboard, a 240GB+ 850 EVO, WD Blue HDDs, EVGA or Seasonic PSU.

buyitdirect.ie/p/asrock-intel-b250m-ddr4-lga-1151-micro-atx-motherboard-b250m-hdv?refsource=BIDIEadwords&gclid=Cj0KCQiAyZLSBRDpARIsAH66VQKH1EYXrJ7pqSyyz6kQpYNsyJsIrMLMib_ypUuAartlbW9zZHFZb2UaArGZEALw_wcB

this is the correct socket and supports ddr4, probably low freq tho

>1151v1 socket
user Skylake and Kabylake are already outdated.

well that's the cpu he wants so

would love an i7.... but from what i have read a better i5 is still decent enough... and less than half the cost. One dude said it was like a 10% performance difference.

i agree with you that it is problematic for future upgrades, which WAS mentioned..... but not sure I can afford an i7 atm....

is ryzen a cheaper alternative? better? worse?

on the upgrade angle... amd is claiming they are gonna keep the current socket till 2020 ?

everything i just finished reading says the ryzen platform may last a little longer.... but the i5 outperforms the ryzen 5.... would need to spend alot to do better it would seem?

that being said... i found a few cheaper options and took some of the above advice.... and made a revamped list.....

pcpartpicker.com/user/ozzymandias420/saved/NNXZ8d

thoughts? tweaks? issues?

Are these two configs reasonable. Most sites recommend a beefier CPU in the 1070Ti build, but the 8400 seems like it won't be much of a bottleneck for gayming - and it's cheap as fuck.

Stock cooler unless you're overclocking.
Intel is dead in everything but the highest end i7s.
Literally any B350 board. Some of them had a shit ton of bugs so look into that. Ironically, AsRock is fine.
The cheaper one.
DDR4 from literally any name brand.

Also buy an adaptive sync (G-sync/FreeSync)monitor. Its worth it.

Wait for walmart discount
Go to walmart
See their cheap $300-$400 PCs
Grab one with a GTX1060, like those HP Pavilion VR
Sell the 1060 and buy a 1070
Done.
You can get Micro-ATX boards and standard PSUs for it.

>Intel is dead in everything but the highest end i7s.
Because more people do high end rendering or run multiple VMs than game.

Realistically, how much am I going to save by holding out for a B/H motherboards instead of buying a low-end Z370?

300s are gonna get much cheaper in about 3 months.

You are literally better off getting the latest i3 and a Z370 mobo than to get an older i5.

Hey boys looking at making a new silent rig.
Gonna be running a 5-1600 so no over clocking, what do you recommend for the most silent cooling because I absolutely nothing?
Multiple quite fans? Water cooling? installing a radiator? Thanks in advance

>Water cooling? installing a radiator?
No need if you get a card with a decent cooler and don't overclock shit.
Just get some decent fans, a decent PSU and and a cheap suppression kit for your case. That of course assumes that by "silent" you mean "almost inaudible unless you're in a totally silent room and concentrating."

water cooling is louder than air cooling. not only do you have fans but also a liquid pump, both produce noise. go with the largest fans you can instead

Cheers lads, you guys recommend any fans in particular?

I have an RX580 and I want to buy a display. Is FreeSync just a meme? Should I even bother with looking out specifically for a FreeSync display?

>The cheaper one.
thanks fampai, evga it is then.

Not a meme, it's half the reason why people buy AMD cards. Get one with at least 75Hz (I've seen 60Hz freesync monitors - avoid,) 145Hz is nice if you play MP titles, 240Hz is overkill.

What a waste of quads. Fuck off you retarded nigger, there's a general dedicated to this you dunce.

But am I not locking myself into AMD GPUs? Because that kind of looks like a bad idea right now (Polaris is at the end of its lifespan, Vega is shit)

That card will still be serviceable for 1080p gaming for the next 3 years. By then AMD will probably have something else in the mid-range that's decent. But of course that's not guaranteed, pretty much anything you buy nowadays carries the risk of turning out to be a mediocre decision in a couple years. If a 580 with 8GB and a freesync monitor cost less (or about the same) as a 1060 with 6GB and a G-sync monitor where you are - I'd go for it.

Thanks for the help man.

Anyone?

Who cares kys

Bullshit, that i5 is stronger than last gen i7s, it would even handle a 1080 without a struggle

The 7500 is shit, get a Ryzen 1600.