Be a developer

>be a developer
>make a small mistake in the code causing a minor bug in our app
>get screamed at by my project manager and help desk staff

>sysadmin fucks up and causes the whole office's internet to fail for an entire day
>he ends up fixing it himself
>everyone around the office praises him for "saving the Internet". CIO shakes his hand and pats his back

Why is this fucking allowed?

Everyone around the office fucking loves the sysadmin and I've even seen people leaving chocolates and presents in his private office (yes, the motherfucker gets a fucking private office) while my developer colleagues and I are forced into open seating like pic related with help desk sitting in front of us and project managers behind to keep an eye on us, also we're viewed as "those weird programmers"

Become a sysadmin then

>pm screaming at devs for a minor bug
>help desk being able to talk directly to devs, at all, for literally any fucking reason
0/10 not believable

Sounds like the Sysadmin has proper social skills and is friendly and well liked by non-technical staff. Unfortunately you probably don't have the opportunity to be a small hero to eveyone on a daily basis and thus don't have the same rapport as he does. Try socializing with those others, bring in donuts and such. Maybe get buddy buddy with the sysadmin so as to improve your image by association.

The person that should be getting yelled at is the person that didn't follow the change/release process. If the dev pushed to production without proper testing, he deserves it. If the sysadmin pushed an emergency change that was approved by the CIO, and fixed it, he deserves getting a highfive from the CIO for saving his bacon.

Stuff like you mention only occurs in companies that don't have good service delivery processes and shitheads all over the place.

DevOps.

How do you know the sysadmin fucked it?

>DevOps
You're not a developer. You manage build servers and write a script here or there.

Well.... you haven't been in the industry long.

Each DevOps role I've had/heard of is different. I don't think anyone knows what a DevOps should be.

At my current employer I'm a DevOps. I write JavaScript, Java, and Dockerfiles. I'm a dev, my employer is just dense.

>app
kys

>I write JavaScript, Java, and Dockerfiles
>I'm a dev
No, you're DevOps. Meaning you manage build servers and write a script here or there. Literally what I said is the description you gave me. You're not a developer.

>should

>minor bug in our app
>app
app

I'm a "devops engineer" and I'm writing everything from small scripts, services with APIs, and full blown GUI web applications. Am I not a developer? Shieeet.

a p p

Who the fuck gives auth to devs to push straight to production? Only the team lead should be able to do that. This is the entire purpose of unit testing, QA and review. If your shit breaks all the time your product is going to eventually fail completely when you can't handle the mountain of bug requests coming in.

>in b4, we're all full stack developers and are expected to test everything we write
in other words there's no testing done and the product is a bug ridden mess that wouldn't survive scaling or anything other than a small user base that probably calls in frequently to report bugs that hinder them doing the most basic things.

i love these places. probably takes 2 years to push out one new page or feature and get it working. meanwhile entire games are made in one year by a team that's probably smaller and with less resources.

user-facing problem

>sysadmin fucks up and causes the whole office's internet to fail for an entire day
internal problem

sounds to me like the company has its priorities straight

Kek, so glad that I changed career paths in University to become a Cisco Professional.

>work as junior developer in a medium sized company
>they promised to train me but never did
>salary is shit
>get yelled by boss all the time (even if I do a good job) because I can't read his mind
>always threatens to lower my salary
>mfw I am literal code monkey
>after 2 years of abuse and depression I decided to quit

>3 months later

>become IT guy at small company
>salary is decent
>almost nothing to do all day but always told I am needed and answer all sorts of retarded tech questions from coworkers
>the few times I have work it is actually fun
>either fuck up or break stuff on purpose and then fix it myself every once in a while
>the secretaries and the boss see me as a dependable genius
>tech illiterate boss gave me a raise and monthly bonus for good performance
>all I actually do is browse Sup Forums and do daily updates in our shitty wordpress website

Feels good man, fucking being a cuckdev

fuck I wish my boss was tech illiterate. He actually knows a lot, and its frustrating. Got a shit yearly raise, 1%, he stated in a prior meeting to me my technical skills are good, but my communication really needs work.

I found out coworkers int he past have gotten 2%, 3% raises.

I don't know about you but after this I think I am actually giving up on being a developer unless I get a very good salary or something

Rather thinking about being an IT guy or maybe Sys admin in the future full time and then working as a freelance developer or just start my own business but fuck working for cocky tech literate bosses and working twice as hard for shit pay

At least he tells you where you need to fix. It's a lot better than the generic "You could improve next year" spiel I get, not answering what I need to improve on.

>he stated in a prior meeting to me my technical skills are good, but my communication really needs work
lul thats the same critique i had during my perfomance reviews. i asked questions when i'm stuck and i do my fucking job that should be enough. Its not that i have a big problem talking to people I just don't want to, i don't see the point. We have nothing in common and I do nothing of interest outside of work.
what the fuck do they want from me?

lmao devlet

be a person and be active in the community
people are social and if you aren't social it makes everyone else feel weird
if you don't want a job where you're around other people, work online.

>thinking about being a sys admin

user, if you're just thinking about it now it's going to be a long time before you actually get into that position

Thers literally nothing wrong with the word app

because sysadmin interacts with all levels of people at the company, and is seen as a problem solver, no one ever considers that a problem might be the sysadmins fault

FUCK THAT
No one gives a fuck your shitty dumbass kids and what you did over the weekend.
I think I'll start a company and only hire spaghetti lords and people like me, so we don't have to keep a facade of friendliness all the time.

and then it fails because nobody knows how to make connections lmao

Clearly you've never been a sysadmin.

Regardless of a sysadmin "autism" levels he has to interact with people of all levels within the company, last week I met a 400 pound stereotypical sysadmin that was friendly with everyone and went outside to take smoke breaks with the rest of the staff

smoke breaks are the secret to interacting and building connections.
If your boss says he's going to take a smoke break, follow him, light his cigarette, offer him yours when he's out of cigarettes.

All the best connections I've ever made in this industry where during smoke breaks

Devs may not be allowed to take smoke breaks though, lmao

>be a person and be active in the community
what the fuck does this mean? i am a person i help my coworkers if they want help and if i want help i ask for it. I engage in small talk with every interaction that i have with them. otherwise i'm at my desk.what should i be doing? explain ascenario or a conversation and how it would occur.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Why are you laughing?

What I said is unironically the truth

>should
this is why you are made fun of

I should be working not socializing

>Devs may not be allowed to take smoke breaks though, lmao
At my company, it's pretty much encouraged

I'd take up smoking again if it wasn't so fucking cold out right now

You are screamed at because you are spineless cunt. I'm pretty much sure you have a look of "scream at me, beat me, I'll swallow everything!"
You disgust me, manlet.

t.senior programmer

Sorry, there is. After Apple popularized iShit, everything became an "app". Applications, APIs, frontends, it's all "app" now.

t. people who aren't appreciated at work

>Sorry, there is. After Apple popularized iShit, everything became an "app". Apps, apps, apps, it's all "app" now.

Fuck off with your false implications normative. The success of a company is based on skill and luck. Not social butterflies and good feelings.

wheres ur 250k starting

>should
what did he mean by this?

Clearly never took a smoke break.

Fuck you, go back to your sysadmin non-job while I do all the work the company needs to survive

and i'll get more money and less stress
thanks bro

Show me one big company led by dev autists, there aren't any
I remember that Indian retard why tried to run a Software dev company without project managers and other "useless" positions
It closed within a year

How does it feel to know you work a LITERAL no-job that will be automated withing 10 years?
For your own good I hope you're retired by then because devs will become Gods and you will be out of a job

>Show me one big company led by dev autists, there aren't any
Google

Explain how system administration will be automated

you imply that your job wont be phased out too by learning algorithms that learn how to optimize code [and managing systems]

face the inevitability and work ur loser job while i work my godship onto these puny corporate cultists :~)

You don't have to base your connections around artificial crap like "zomg muh kidz danse classiz" but rather technical oriented stuff like "hey did you hear about what that poettering fag did? Yeah, another vulnerability..."

you sound autistic

it was a legitimate question.

>hire spaghetti lords and people like me
Yeah, so can you guess what kind of people would be working at such a company?

the football game shouldn't be so hard to follow every once and a while
not everyone conforms to your fantasy of everyone in tech involving their entire lives around it

note: non-autismites don't want to have casual work ABOUT the job they work
sorry dudes

not only are you autistic but you are also retarded nice nice la

a cubicle isn't a private office

user, I'm sorry

Alright, here's your (You), normieboy.

ty :~)

it's his own private office with a key and air conditioning

i dont expect everyone who works in tech to be interested in it outside of work. and football is fucking stupid. i'm not gonna waste my weekend or week depending on when it comes on to watch more ads instead of the fucking game. inb4 there are other sports. yeah and theyre all trash. i thought there would be a simple solution to this but i guess not. i don't work because i want to I work because I have to and i'll be damned if these normalfags are going to eat up my time outside of work so i can talk about some bullshit activity that i hate just to appease them. fuck that and fuck anyone who think that this type of behavior is reasonable.

so 80% of the world (not based off statistics just a guess)?

yes fuck them. i've accepted that i will be a slave for the time that i am at work but they have no power over me outside of work. also fuck those gay ass events that companies do yo try and brainwash you. making you think that you are a part of a "family" tm and not some soulless corporation.

lol

Everyone likes the sys admin because he always gets their computer back to working and probably is a nice guy.

Sysadmins also deal with a lot of obtuse shit

most of it could be automated like by running the scripts that the admins use automatically like they probably already do probably not completely automated tho but much less people would be needed.

>should
man i was in full support of you. I have a few DevOps friends and theyre decent programmers but... this shit you did right here. Please. god fucking dammit kill yourself

It might be your personality. Don't be an autistic fuck bag that nobody likes.

Also, you probably didn't get screamed at. That is the type of thing autistic faggots with thin skins say when someone rightfully reprimands them. Stop being a thin skinned faggot and toughen the fuck up and own up to your mistakes.

>guy with single, specialized skill who cleans up after himself gets his own office
>worker bee programmer who bitches about his job on a Bhutanese manhua forum has to work with everyone else
Sounds about right

Can I join?

Where do you learn all that? Sauce

Should I start smoking then? What about my health?

You could vape, it's 100% safe.

>go to smoke break
>pull out my vape
>everybody laughs
>become the office's mascot

that's the whole point of IaC and platform as a service

I'm currently reading Dale Carnegie's How to win friends and influence people.

The sysadmin probably has excellent social skills and is seen as a hero by the tech illiterate intellectual peasants. He's milking it just like anyone else would. Take a page from his book.

Here is the deal.

>I have our entire System under a killswitch.

>The moment you faggots dare double-cross me is the moment i crash this company with no survivors.

>I just want to work, really i am being honest. so leave me the fuck alone whilst i automate our budgeting and everything will work properly,otherwise hope to god that you can return to copy-pasting shit on excel for hours the moment I encrypt the server to oblivion

>thanks.

>tfw I got fired once because they tell me I "lack communications"
>the company has now go bankrupt

lmao

>Why is the sysadmin appreciated more than me?!
Because the sysadmin is the only reason anything works.

enjoy prison

>enjoy prison

I have 8 blocks of thermite with magnesium igniters ready to pop under my desk.

7 of them are for my HDD´s and the last one is for my brain.

You aint taking me alive kiddo, neither my chink cartoons

you aren't a sysadmin, lol

Devs make better sysadmins than sysadmins
A dev can make a sysadmin job better
A sysadmin can't do a dev job at all

My life as a dev
>had to come up with solutions
>had to implement solutions
>solutions might not be perfect
My life as a system engineer
>break shit and write up the bugs, no creativity necessary
>write up tests, again no creativity necessary
>no new output, so never produce bugs

Find yourself a shitty industry that requires manual testing and you can get paid to be a test monkey.

>muh creativity
You talk as if that's a plus

It's not, which is why I transitioned into working as a system engineer. Similar pay with less work.

Then what's a SysAdmin?

>Why is this fucking allowed?

Because you allowed it.

You should have set a clear boundary whereby screaming at you is not an acceptable behaviour.

but you are a betacuck or enjoy your cucklife

Yeah, people never cross boundaries.

Developers tend to be losers, and they easily take the blame. Sysadmins are more social and can interact with people, thus management is always in their favor.

9.9/10 op forgot to make pic in op wojak

Because you are subhuman filth, MAGGOT.

>Devs make better sysadmins than sysadmins
Then why aren't they sysadmins?

heh