Can we get a general radio thread

Can we get a general radio thread

Other urls found in this thread:

ettus.com/
funktechnik-bielefeld.de/diamond-d-3000n-discone-stationsantenne-fuer-25-3000-mhz-edelstahlausfuehrung
wimo.com/empfangs-antennen_d.html#8061
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The fuck is the point of that thing?

i just use my phone like a normal person would do
only a school shooter or nazi drumpf supporter still uses that kind of radio

sup

"Ok Google, put on the radio."

Can it really do this? I may buy the botnet if it can play radio

It doesnt pick up radio waves unfortunately. But it does work with the various radio apps like iHeart or TuneIn.

I got a mini for christmas, its pretty comfy. A shame each smart speaker brand are inoperable with each other.

As a true NatSoc i of course have not only one radio i can listen to, but a total of five ones that i can communicate with.
Three of them are in the pic related.
Sieg and MAGA idiot.

>Sieg
>MAGA
pick one loser

>pic one lose
I did my choice kek

How fat are you?

Radio threads are in /k/

Not fat at all. I am a former professional cyclist (GS2 level) and do still train every day on an average of 150 km a day.
I guess i'm in better condition than you are.

I bought one of these and it's fucking awesome at $20. You can watch planes fly overhead using the ADS-B signals they broadcast, intercept your own cell phone texts and calls, and, if you have the right antenna, you can calculate your position with GPS. Maybe I'm just a normie discovering SDR for the first time, but honestly this shit is really fucking cool.

Im the guy with the three radios in pic.
You should definitely look into "ettus research"
ettus.com/

they have both housed and cards only solutions to highly advanced SDR that can not only receive but also send with some milliwatts.
I have myself built up a mobile phone compatible 3G network with such an ettus card, that people are able to enter and use with a normal smartphone if i give them a grant and dedicate them a number in my network.
during an SHTF, you will still be able to communicate here in the region as if you had your normal coverage.
The system is solar powered.

does anyone have a GMRS/FRS

maybe

which kind exactly
a two-way?

I bought a USB SDR similar to this, but the antenna is so utterly shit that it's basically defunct. Any lads know a good replacement antenna for one of these? It uses an MCX connector.

You have to buy a discone wide band antenna.
I don't know your situation and if you are able to mount the antenna on the rooftop or at least at the balcony or so, but an SDR has a super wide range of coverage and a discone antenna does just that, wide range covering of all frequencies.

I live in a pretty hilly/crowded area with poor signal reception, and I've heard that discones don't perform particularly well on any specific frequency range. Should I be looking for a less general-purpose antenna in an attempt to make up for the poor circumstances, or will the difference end up being be negligible? I am able to mount the antenna to my roof, it’s sturdy enough to stick a pretty decent length of pole in the air. I was interested in trying out plane tracking, and maybe attempting to pick up ATC communications.
Sorry for asking lots of questions if it’s a bother. These threads don’t come along very often.

I just got mine in today
Complete noob with sdr
I've listened online before and have been a scanner guy forever
But sdr is a game changer I believe

it sucks. heavily compressed lossy shit tier music and lots of ads and some faggot talking about boring shit.

radios are technology not weapons

Well, if you are particulary interested in only certain bands and ranges, you should go for more narrow banded but specialized antennas for these frequencies. Due to their better reception gains, you will have on average a slightly stronger signal reception.

A discone antenna is always a compromise of being able to do everything but more or less on a decent level.
If you live in a hilly area as i also do, i suggest you are living in a valley like scenario, that won't give you the ability to receive landbased transmissions from farer locations.
That means an antenna, that does get the maximum possible gains is not needed because the mountains/hills will fuck up/block the signals from reaching you anyways.
Up in the air though, you will be able to hear everything that comes into your reach depending on the angle and/or if the hills/mountains are not blocking it. For that a discone works well because it is unidirectional.

My surrounding mountains are between 350 and 1050 meters high and i would never be able to hear a station on ham radio for example that is 50 kilometers far away because the mountains will not make it possible.
On the 2 meter and 70 centimeter band (144 and 440 Mhz, i have a local range of pretty much the size of our valley. So i can cover the city i live in and that's it. If i want to talk to people outside the valley, i have to use one of the repeaters that are located on top of some mountains here.

So with a discone, you will be able to cover the whole range of your SDR and due to you living in a valley surrounded by hills, you will not lose much of a range in terms of distance and signal strength.
On flat land areas i would recommend you a more specialized antenna.
But all i said is relative. You might live in a semi open valley with lower hills, than a specialized normal whip antenna is the way to go.

Indeed they are. But if you want traction on a radio thread you post it in /k/. That's where all the radio fags hang out.

>"The most important weapon on the battlefield is the radio." -some dude

OP posted a web radio hardware client. I guess that's not what preppers and /k/ anons would use.
It's me who turned it a communications radio thread because i was pissed about the faggy smartphone soy.

Thanks a lot for the help. From what you've described I think I'll get a discone as a starting point, maybe I'll expand later with something more specific. I'll do some research and see what's available in the area when it comes to purchasing, a lot of radio stores seem to be US based with exorbitant shipping rates (S.W England here). On the off chance, do you (or anyone else) have any brand names that you'd like to recommend? I’ve asked a lot already though, so it's no biggie.

>bluetooth

>radio
do you really enjoy listen to music you don't really like? in low quality?
i just download the entire discography of artists i like and put my music library on shuffle. i have like 50.000 songs, so there's always something new to listen to. i can pause, rewind and skip tracks and the vast majority is music i actually want to hear, not some random 90s pop songs and what's currently popular with 15 year olds (aka the charts). it's like my own personal radio.

why would you turn on the radio for anything other than live traffic news while driving? radio sucks

funktechnik-bielefeld.de/diamond-d-3000n-discone-stationsantenne-fuer-25-3000-mhz-edelstahlausfuehrung

This one has a range of 25 mhz to 3000 mhz
So it covers most of the WiFi channles as well
In case you ever decide to buy a ham radio transceiver, it is able to transmit signals on the 6 and 2 meter band and on 70 and 23 cm band

125 euros. Brand is Diamond, wich is a good brand and it is made in stainless steel. Will not rust away.
For scanning stuff, this is a good one but at max 2.0 dB gain. normally 0 dB gain.

And the 15 minute commercial breaks every 20 minutes.

I just found the antenna a lot cheaper at WiMo
wimo.com/empfangs-antennen_d.html#8061
scroll down a little.

no but old people are addicted to it just like they are to tv too.

Muh illegal FM station

Thanks. I was looking at the smaller variant of that model before posting, coincidentally. I've found a UK seller for it. It's a bit more expensive, but I remember the horrendous process I had to undergo shipping a wrist watch overseas once. I can't imagine how bad it'd be with an item the weight and size of a steel antenna. I’ll plan out how to mount it first, but it looks like a good choice to buy. Some guy on youtube has a video assembling it, and it looks like a quality job.

Thanks again for all the help. I've moved further in the last few hours than I have in the last couple months.

no problem. i like to help people when i can.That's what the internet is intendet for i think. Getting knowledge share experience and give/get advises.

It plays music.

linux software used?

it's for kids

I have one these in my room in case of emergencies. Otherwise it's just tuned to NPR which I leave on whenever I'm not sleeping because I heard it deters burglars when the house is empty.

It's surprisingly loud and clear for its size and has battery backup.

Eh, BT streaming?

With the Amazon dot i say Alexa play Z100 FM and it plays

I have an old Panasonic RE-7300. It has solid sound, and I put a Raspberry Pi in it that is connected to the aux-in that lets me use it as a squeezebox (my home server is running Logitech Media Server).

Not a NatSoc, but I also have radios capable of transmitting (in addition to a small 5 watt FM transmitter that can reach a little over a mile if I ever decide I want a visit from the FCC, though I don't use it).

Just found this scanner in the closet, never got around to using it. I'm scanning with a BTECH UV-5X3 right now

Anyone know what the fuck I'm supposed to do with that long floppy antenna on my AM/FM clock radio?
If I straighten it out the reception turns to garbage and I receive multiple stations on the same frequency.
Right now I have it wound loosely into a 3-4" loop and twister tied. That seems to pick up most stations consistently.
I thought loop antennas were for AM radio? Why does it work for FM, or is this some different principle?

Loop antennas work for either, they're more common on AM because AM is generally a lower frequency so the loop helps accommodate the much longer antenna