Firefox fork thread

Seeing as quantum is a hot piece of shit lets have a thread about good firefox forks.
I'll start with Basilisk. Basically FF56 but with updates.

/thread

Former pale moon devs eh? Might be good, what happened over at pale moon to make them leave?

No one cares linuxfaggot

I like palemoon.

This says it's created by the Pale Moon team, so what's the difference between this and Pale Moon?

>what happened over at pale moon to make them leave
They realized that they could no longer maintain a browser based on Firefox 27 so they made another slightly newer fork.
Guess what's going to happen a year or two from now.

what's the most updated Sup Forums approved browser list

pale moon is based on the old stye of FF(4-28) while Basilisk is based on the pre-quantom FF(29-56).

1.GNU IceCat

so what's better

>firefox gets the best update in years
>someone makes a fork without that update
Is this a joke?

>quantum
>good
I shiggy diggy
It's a preference really. Which style do you prefer?

GNU IceCat or WaterFox are the only options.

>quantum
>best update in years
mfw

I like the new firefox.

Unless you are using some autism addon there is literally no downside to 57.

They just wanted to make a pre firefoxpocalypse fork for the sake of it with some changes but palemoon project won't disappear or anything and it seems it's still their main project.
Basilisk will be a rolling release with automatic updates most likely some test bed for the UXP project.

>quantum
>no downside
mfw

Name one.

>autism addon
I resent your implication, I use Noscript and Rikaichan.

dropping support for many addons, shitty aesthetics, """"news""" articles, about:home is messed up, poor performance, etc etc

What's wrong with the new noscript and replacements like yomichan?

I aleady mentioned addons, aesthetics are something you can change however you like, news articles are just a checkbox, you don't need to use the about:home page if you don't like it, performance only improved.

itt faggots that fork old ff builds, add nothing to them, then shill it on /g

> Basically FF56 but with updates
No, FF56 has e10s on by default and has Stylo available to be toggled on.

>quantum is shit
Citation needed

After seeing the recent redesign UI Quantum has gotten which looks so boring and flat, I now feel much more satisfied with using Waterfox.

I can't believe Quantum looks like a Chrome clone.

should I use pale moon or waterfox?

>quantum is a hot piece of shit
Retard spotted

Quantum is gud.

t. Mitchell Baker

waterfox

I literally can't tell the difference.

Pale Moon, in my humble opinion. I find it's slightly faster than Waterfox.

Mozilla tried to conserve some of your vertical space by adding a draggable piece of nothing to the left of the browser window instead of adding a 10px top margin. I'd say this is an improvement over the fx54 iteration of the UI.

why does the logo look like a fucking sock puppet?

Fuck, now i can't unsee it

using it right now, this is probably the best browser ive ever used

Glad that I'm not the only one who thought this.

It'll still be better than firefox?

t. Firefox dev who wants to install "telemetry" and meme addons for TV shows

Literally a shit ton of websites don't even fucking load anymore. Basic sites like news, banking, shopping, etc.

retard

>A ton of sites, but none in specific!
Wow. Everything works fine fagget.

how can one faggot shill so hard? how much are they paying you?

How about you actually name a site, retard.

Sup Forums. images open in a new tab instead of simply enlarging.

It has always done that, Sup Forums-x adds that feature, the expanding image.

Do you have this unselected?

>Unless you are using some autism addon there is literally no downside to 57.

I don't care if you thinks it's autism, but Tree-style Tabs is by far the most useful single UI feature available in any browser, and the WebExtension version blows.

Because for a technology board, Sup Forums is ridiculously afraid of change.
I really don't understand why Arch is a meme here, if half the time they seem like Debian Stable is too new for them.

Hide the tab bar and it's exactly the same shit.

Except that's false faggot

Sup Forums likes customization, which Quantum kneecaps in the name of performance and a semi-sane security model.

People who wanted these things and not deep tweaking already moved to Chrome years ago, so Mozilla is abandoning the only thing it has of value in order to be a massively distant 2nd best walled garden.

The WebExtension version of TST had a rocky start, but now it's way better than the old one - tree is less prone to breaking, and the add-on works faster.
Sure, it can't hide the normal tab bar and the sidebar header on it's own anymore, but that's literally two lines in userChrome.css.

yes. I've deleted 4chin cookies and everything

Dunno. Just werks for me.

It's not massively distant - after the Quantum update it competes well with Chrome on everything that Chrome used to beat FF at, while remaining FLOSS.

Downloaded it just yesterday, will probably use it as a backup browser. I was hoping it would have the customizability that pale moon had.

I guess I'll have to try it again then. Last time I looked at it a month or two ago, it was pretty broken and seemed to be missing a bunch of the configuration options.

Using 57.0.2, this image expanded inline. I configured nothing in Sup Forums settings this was default.

The only change I've made is to disable backspace navigating be back a page.

There are a couple websites I have trouble with (netflix, my bank logon page) and for those I use chrome, but it's rare.

Happy with FF57

why have any issues at all? FF57 was a regression, not progression.

I had previously stopped using firefox entirely because chrome was noticeably faster. I suspect many many others did the same. That's an issue.

Lynx, guis are for faggots

It killed some add ons that I found really useful and were the main reason I used firefox. Some had slightly shittier replacements but a few had no replacements at all. Add ons for everything were the one thing Firefox had going for it over Chromium and they killed that.

Netflix works fine, you need to go to the options tabs and enable the "let DRM shit work in my browser" checkbox.

>Unless you are using some autism addon there is literally no downside to 57.

ok, after seeing:
you guys have me curious.

any decent substitutes for any of the following?
- DownThemAll
- Context Menu Image Saver (Ctrl+RMB -> save image w/o dialog box)
- FireTitle
- Menu Wizard

> former
It's the same devs. Pale Moon hasn't gone anywhere.

/thread

> t. Mozilla cum-eater

Flashgot too, there is no good replacement for it yet.

Honestly, just try for yourself.

nobody actually cares about FLOSS principles, they care about the extensibility that is usually inherent in FLOSS software but that Mozilla is abandoning

not a firefox fork but just switched to qutebrowser. pretty neat if you prefer vim keybindings and not using retarded mousepad.

Who?

> DownThemAll
DTA dev is working on a lite version for WebExtensions, but there can never be a full replacement because of how handicapped the APIs are (of there are any for a given function). I've heard other extensions mentioned for mass downloads but they were shit.

because they're busy removing all of the bullshit. The only the to "add" is the removal of the things that ruin FF.

Can't use NoScript

I had trouble getting Sup Forums x to work, anything on your end?

>vimfx
>play with mpv
Not going to live without those so using firefox esr.

chrome>firefox

If you're using Greasemonkey, that could be the culprit.
For me, it was broken so I had to use Tampermonkey instead.

I can't get captcha to work on any Mozilla related browser. It's literally blank/invisible and I have to go to shitty Chrome to post anything. Even with no addons installed.

What is this, the hipster hour? Use a normal browser you hug-deprived pieces of shit. They're for browsing the web not looking kewlz.

>hug-deprived
please stop bullying me

all i see is a hand holding a bit of string

What's wrong with quantum? It's fast AF. Stop being so autistic.

Why not take the firefox quantum codebase and fork it to massage-in the addons SDK APIs to work?

I'm sure they didn't really gut the old APIs, but replaced the things they connected TO without bothering to remake the interfaces.

Given interest, I'm sure the addons APIs can be made to work in Firefox Quantum codebase, it's just the mozilla isn't interested anymore (because they think they know what is best for you)

According to Moonchild, they started gutting the code base a while ago. They forked 58's code before they removed everything related to XUL and XPCOM so they could base future work on it. Alex (Waterfox dev) has done the same thing.

They're our only hope now.

Been using pale moon for a while, just tried waterfox and it's pretty fucking good. Might switch just to get away from furfag devs, but I'm lazy.

Redpill me on waterfox vs. basilisk

Basilisk is a proof-of-concept while Waterfox is a stable project. Basilisk will be the basis for future projects. Unless you're the kind of person that likes to live on the edge and run nightlies Waterfox is a better option.

Or you could try Pale Moon.

Basilisk is major suckage. Running beta, they weren't kidding. 101% unusable.

> 58
Meant 56

waterfox is firefox with some tweaks, basilisk is like a testbed for future additions to palemoon

palememe is ugly a f

XUL and XPCOM subsystems aren't needed for the old APIs to work with the new subsystems, they just need to plug everything in the right place.

Shims and stripped-down versions of the XUL and XPCOM systems can serve for the interfaces that they can't figure out where to plug, yet.

It's entirely doable, even Mozilla could do it, but they went for the hugbox approach with webextensions because it's their honestly delusional belief that everything is more secure this way (even if it's still just as exploitable, if not moreso now)

>poor performance
at least it isn't a lagfest now like pre-57
>about:home
lol don't tell me you used to use the default about:home, that's always been shit.
>add-ons
name a good add-on you can't get for ff57

Not related but what extension can I use to replace uMatrix in Firefox ESR, now that uMatrix is WebExt-only?

If only they didn’t fuckup extensions. The only point of Firefox was having awesome extensions.

Most image downloaders are severely limited. Almost useless.