Mfw I set up a shitposting NAS to synchronize reaction faces across ALL of my devices

>mfw I set up a shitposting NAS to synchronize reaction faces across ALL of my devices

This is literally the only reason I'm planning to set up one.

Nice thumbnail

Just use Google Photos

Botnet

Brainlet question, what's an NAS? I've been needing something to synchronize my reaction images for a while now.

If it's just memes you're uploading, who cares? It's not your own photos.

haha here is a reaction i just made for you to add to your collection

i hope you like it

i'm gonna make a site for keion screenshots
coming q1 2018

Burn FreeNAS onto a USB, and then find an old PC you don't care about and install it on there, go through the install and it should give you a webserver address (192.168.2.# or something similar) to configure it, if it doesn't try to fiddle around with interfaces and updates

But then can you use the reaction images outside of your home on your phone?

i use syncthing for that
i have no need for a NAS, because i just have a raid setup in my main desktop itself

I don't quite know, I usually only shitpost from home or use my 32gb mini backup of it

Raid isnt backup. If something fucks up your partition table youre going to get fucked.

where did i say anything about backups?

Raid isnt backup. If something fucks up your partition table or filesystem on a partition then youre going to get fucked.
edit: mistyped and said partition instead of filesystem.
filesystem is the map to where the files actually are. loosing file names sucks.

this is an automated psa that has been on loop since 1985

Isn't that what redundancy is for?

Network attached storage, think of cloud storage that doesn't extend beyond your home network. It's a great DIY project or a neat home electronic appliance you can buy.

i haven't cringed this hard in a long time

but how do you get access to your memes if you're not on the same network and overseas

10/10, would shitpost with

Lol saving this reaction pic

Throw an SSH server on it and you can use SSHFS to access your shitposting files remotely.

And? Your images will be use to feed the Google's artificial intelligence.

>not wanting to teach an AI how to shitpost and go against the wishes of its creators
Just look at what Sup Forums did to Tay in less than 24 hours

You have to port forward if you want to do this

This is one of the reasons I set up my owncloud server

For historical reasons the folder is called /b

lol thats what I did with mine. random pleb shit winds up in a folder called b. anything that is funny or informative that would be deemed racist at any neighborhood liberal arts school goes in a folder called pol. everything else is properly named though

You feed it more by completing a captcha everytime u post

Make sure to shill it here so I don't miss out

I have a Sup Forums pass.
Why Sup Forums doesn't use a captcha alternative...

Fucking this.

neat idea, fren.

>be reinstalling laptop
>making backup of your /home
>delete mp3 folder to make backup faster
>but owncloud was still running, mp3/ deleted from server
whoops
>mac laptop also deleted mp3/ per owncloud
>open time machine
>restore with a couple of clicks
>owncloud resyncs them back to other computers

based macOS

because moot works at google and hiro is too dumb to replace it

This
Currently using syncthing and it's messy as all fuck since I don't have any devices which are reliably online all the time, so there's always a ton of unsynced changes

What's the best way to set up a backup then? Say I have a 4TB drive with a bunch of shit on it. I don't want arbitrary rollback or whatever, I just want insurance in case it randomly shits the bed one day, so that I can just restore to like 1 day before and carry on (replacing the dead drive obviously). Presumably I shouldn't need more than a second 4TB drive, right? What software should I set up then, if raid isn't the way to go?

>freenas
bloat
bloat

hard core backup enthusists have somethihng called the 3 2 1 rule. I dont remember what exactly it stood fore becasue its way to much money for me. but I thing it was something like 3 local backups, 2 offsite, and 1 cloud. too much money for big datas.

I stopped using raid 1 for reasons. how I do it now is I keep an offline backup for every drive and sync it so often. Say I want to add 4tb of data capacity, I will buy 2x4 tb drives and manually mirror them. For things in long term storage I compress them with 7z max compression (mx=9). The backup drives are kept offline usually.
I consider this a bare minimum.

why not add a larger hdd for syncing up your other memes/media

also, how much m8?

I'm using one of the raspberry pis I have sitting around, it's USB 2 bandwidth is too slow for anything more useful than memes.

Ah nice. So say if I have my one 4tb data drive, then every week or so I plug in a second 4tb drive and manually mirror the current data.
Is that stupid or is that good for my purposes?

>be me years ago
>get my first laptop
>HDD is bigger than anything I'd used before
>decide I'm never gonna use that much space (which did hold true for a long while)
>heard that backups are good
>partition the drive in two and name the second half "Backups"
Young me wasn't very smart

here's one for you OP

This is mine: (Server + NASES+ Network gear connected to UPS)
Server: Raid 1 and Raid 5 Data Volumes
NAS540 (Raid 5) - Full Backup of server Raid 1 & 5 Volumes + File/Folder backup of Videos on D:\ Drive
NSA320S (Raid 0) 2nd copy archive of video/music collection
3TB External - Server System Image/Backup of Client backups. 2nd archive copy of X Rated & E-book Collection.
NAS units + External drive are kept shutdown when not used. I use Macrium Reflect to manage server backup tasks

In addition all clients get backed up daily automatically by the server. Long as they are powered on. Sleep mode makes no difference, the server wakes them up, does backup, then puts them back to sleep.

>archive
>raid 0
For what purpose

I use a syncthing folder for that purpose

can we maek this into a thing pls

It's a 2nd backup copy that has only gotten written to once and stays offline so if the 1st backup takes a shit (Raid 5 array totally gone) or the server's primary copy is destroyed my music/movie collection is still intact. It took years to build/rip it and I don't want to redo it all. Same applies to my E-Book and X-Rated content.

Snapshots nigga.
sudo zfs rollback

We also have advanced filesystems that don't unlock if you leave the encryption box empty.

I just keep all my memes and reaction pictures on my server. Connect whatever device I'm currently using to the server and post from there.

Good luck organizing your shit on that botnet, also enjoy the partyvan

I'll be waiting for that url.

nice trips and nice idea tbqh

Old pcs are likely too power unneficient to stay connected 24/7. I wonder if some chink android TV box would be a viable alternative as long as one doesn't need more than USB 3.0 speeds.