Well Sup Forums? Which one is it?

Well Sup Forums? Which one is it?

Other urls found in this thread:

warp.povusers.org/grrr/HateC.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Now C, and rust in probably 20 years from now.

>another flamewar thread

C, since I don't like wearing a chastity cage when I program

C for minimal shit
Rust for minimal shit and secure code

t. faggot that doesn't know how to program

Rust is quite literally just C with none of the glass ceilings and none of the ubiquitously unwanted potential side effects.
Also syntax that isn't doodycaca.

I don't know what someone could argue is better about C. Yeah it held up pretty goddamn well but it's still 50 years old and made when computers were made of wood.

Dude are you fucking dumb or what? Go invent a spoon that can do 200 things and call spoons outdated.

Rust is actually difficult as you have to fight the borrow checker. Is the trouble worth it?

I guess if you are a company and have employed a decent number of professional programmers, it is. Aside from that, C gives you freedom and productivity

A spoon having 12 things tacked onto it makes the original purpose worse because things are real and have implications on other things.

Code isn't like that. You just write it if you want it and don't if you don't.

Rust is not AS minimal, but definitely very close.
And yes, its makes (forces) you to be careful with your pointers/references

>Rust
>Good syntax
Jesus christ no

>C
>productive
>freedom

You don't know anything.

C is the equivalent of building a house entirely with an angle grinder. It's monotonous and you need to do dumb arbitrary things, but it's entirely predictable and if you mess something up it's entirely your fault.

People use it because it's tried and true and ubiquitously predictable. Because there's nothing tacked onto it to be unpredictable and confusing.

You're "free" to do anything you want with it like you're free to build anything. You can make a table or the Taj Mahal with an angle grinder, you see

I've been programming primarily in rust for around two years now. Rust isn't "better" than C but for a lot of things it can be a lot more productive since you don't have to manage memory to quite the same degree. C is better for some things, though, particularly low-level embedded stuff where there is a lot of "unsafe" code.

>try to solve a problem in C
A: walk on broken glass and come out with working algorithm
B: run on broken glass and cut yourself with memory corruption

>try to solve a problem in Rust
A: write something fast but have to be overly specific and barely compiles
B: write something slow but safe and gets the job done

Go is not meant to be a systems language though, Rust on the other hand is.
t. Go shill

Idiots act like speed is actually an issue when making things that aren't for the end user

The new Xbox has 6 trillion cycles a second.

Unless you're a biologist and you're extrapolating genome folding over a course of 400 years or something the worst you can hope for is a script taking 2 minutes vs 30 seconds. And if you are then you leave it on overnight and come back to work the next day.

I spent longer typing this post than the discrepancy in a poorly optimized script.

C. the only good IDE for rust is intellij and even that has problems (no debugger)

rust is a meme

C for the rest of time since it's what everyone knows. It could be 100x more complicated but that's what we would have.

A letter from the alphabet versus something that happens to metal over time?

Is Rust also popular in embedded systems?

Rust is very similar to Java
The only real improvement is no nulls
The borrow checker is okay I guess
But Rust is just as prone to memory leaks as Java

Java has much better tooling
Java is GPL
Java doesn't have transexuals forcing their CoC on you

So use Java, or C, unless you like transexual CoCs

DUDE this fucking which one would you choose c rust or go threads make no fucking sense we have standard c++ since 1998.

>you have to fight the borrow checker
Non-lexical lifetimes were merged into the nightly a few days ago.
That should remove most of the cases where the borrow checker rejects obviously valid programs.
Either way fighting the borrow checker is a lot easier than diagnosing memory leaks in production.

>C
warp.povusers.org/grrr/HateC.html