alpine

Why can't it be used as a desktop?
It has obs-studio as a package in its repos
HOW IS IT A "ROUTER OS"????
pkgs.alpinelinux.org/packages?name=obs-studio&branch=&repo=&arch=&maintainer=

Other urls found in this thread:

alpinelinux.org/about/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

How little life do you have that you spend two weeks shilling this crap? Just use it or don't. No one cares.

cunt. This is important

How?

Cause i can stop using systemdicks

Have you thought about just installing it and trying it out you fucking retard? Instead of making all these posts you could have an alpine system by now.

No. I want you faggots to try it so you can stop calling it a "router os".

I did try it. Can work as a desktop, but shouldn't, since there are better options.

>I did try it. Can work as a desktop, but shouldn't, since there are better options.

Like void? fuck off
Alpine is 2x better
- Alpine doesn't depend glibc
- Has a hardened kernel
- Doesn't have systemd
- Solid package management (Doesn't install bloat)

Oh and is very very minimal
>a minimal installation to disk requires around 130 MB of storage.

alpinelinux.org/about/

>what is void musl

>sounds gay

>Why can't it be used as a desktop?
It can
>It has obs-studio as a package in its repos
Cool, you can build OBS for anything, big whoop
>HOW IS IT A "ROUTER OS"????
Because its initial conception was for small scale systems like containers and high availability devices.

This. fuck off with your projecting.

Used Alpine for a week or so on my laptop. Was extremely fast and lightweight. Unfortunately some of the software I need/want either only has glibc binaries in the wild and is a huge issue to compile (electron for Riot Desktop + Patchwork, VirtualBox), or is propietary and glibc-only (Spotify). I got around the spotify issue by compiling librespot, which worked awesome but was non-ideal. The grsec patches are awesome for security, but cause other issues for a desktop. Firefox audio doesn't work, SDL apps like dungeon crawl just flat out lock up my computer. Everyone's usage is different. Mine just didn't line up with Alpine. Sucks because I *really* liked it.

Stop shilling this cuckold crap.

No

Same exact deal with me. Everything about Alpine was super fast, and the apk package manager is really efficient and intuitive, but I had glibc programs so I had to ditch it. If I just installed the glibc libraries into /usr/include, would that do the trick?

Why do you give a fuck about glibc???

You forgot the most important part, its logo and name are way cuter :3 xoxo

Yeah i know user. Void is for fat virgins

Shitty logo compared to Void Linux.
No real advantage over Void Linux.
It's just an alternative OS for the "minimalism" trend pushed by autistic people. Nothing really wrong with this OS but stop shilling it please.

like linux is the server os
ew GNU

Stop shilling that shit

> Alpine doesn't depend glibc
But programs do, unless you want to port them all to musl.

> Doesn't have systemd
Another flaw. All the whining in Sup Forums about muh UNEX conventions, but not one has come up with inits that are remotely as good for the average desktop / server case. YMMV if you do embedded.

> Solid package management
The package manager seems generally a lot less retarded than apt / dpkg, yes. That is definitely a good thing.

When Sup Forums says something is a whatever-OS, stop reading. Leave the thread. The retards have arrived.

>it's not a desktop OS because it doesn't have this program we think most people need
>but i don't need i---
>FUCKING AUTIST YOU ARE NOT THE DEMOGRAPHIC WE ARE TALKING ABOUT HERE
>THE YEAR OF THE LINUX DESKTOP IS OUR GOAL!
Sometimes you feel like you're talking to a marketing department instead of a real human being

because having the smallest shred of GNU on your system means Sup Forums will argue with you for ten hours straight about how it's actually the GNU operating system and how you should be giving praise to stallman and his quest to seize the means of production from evil M$ and B$D capitalists

Alpine is for LARPers that actually never use Linux.

the hardening is ugly for desktop
>can't execute program from /tmp
this breaks some software, it's usually bad practice but still
>hardened chroot doesn't see some devices from dev
might be a deal when you want to make a chroot with dynamically linked glibc because the software isn't compatible with musl. (it's usually bad practice to rely on specific libc so much but still)
and it doesn't some configured for desktop - need to install community repos and allow cpu freq scaling manually
I would put it on RPi-top and such, but not main desktop.

>Why can't it be used as a desktop?
If it works for you, go ahead and use it.

>Has OBS
Just like many other Linux distros.
>Mah systemd x'((
Many other distros use different init system
>Hardened kernel
Yeah, these "hardened kernel"s are not stable at all. If you really are paranoid go use Tails or OpenBSD.

GlibC is x15 faster than whatever the fuck your router OS ships with.