Is this an maymay?

Other urls found in this thread:

link.springer.com/article/10.3758/BF03195452
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

No. It's just deprecated.

Doesn't it refresh faster than a USB port? I don't think its actually noticeable though

I mean, I haven't actually seen anyone use one of those ports since like 2008. If it's a meme it's a dead one.

The worst part about this thing is how wiggly it is when plugged in

Laptops still use the interface.

It doesn't refresh, it sends a system interrupt whenever you press a key.

No. 125Hz, vs 1000Hz of USB.
It's also a common misconception that it's needed for nKRO. USB does that fine also.

It's 2017 and people still shill a interrupt based interface port like the PS2. Funny.

it still has advantages over the other standard but when people have already accepted inferior LCD technology, why not embrace other inferior interfaces as well

The maximum it can send interrupts is 125 times a second.

>advantages
>interrupting a whole octa core CPU with thousands of millions of transistors for registering a single key press
lol, it is the inferior interface

I wasn't shilling it just asking for clarification.

I know you weren't, but I knew people like will post soon that will shill it.
...and as you see, I was right.

>accepted inferior LCD technology
Hence we have better display technologies now

>inb4 muh dead end CRT

It is a playstation 2 port

For USB the keyboard waits for the system to ask it what keys are pressed.

For PS/2, the keyboard tells the system a key is pressed as soon as you press it.

Most people don't feel the difference between a high refresh/polling keyboard and PS/2 though.

External interrupts other than system timer should not be used in something as fast as a modern CPU, leave them to microcontrollers. With every keypress or mouse movement you are fucking up the instruction pipeline.

there will be people in this thread who have never used a ps2 connector ;__;

>most people
We are talking nanoseconds here, even competitive gaymers gave up the PS2 meme years ago as it's useless now

this

legacy support was a mistake

USB is like three times slower according to this. Note that this test was done with late 90's hardware, I don't know how much of a difference that makes.

link.springer.com/article/10.3758/BF03195452

You have to waste a USB 3.0 port on a keyboard to get NKRO

>I don't know how much of a difference that makes.
A lot. USB was traditionally 125hz and nowadays they have 1000hz keyboards that are even overclockable to 2000hz.

USB mice are better in every way.
PS/2 keyboards supposedly support N-key rollover while USB keyboards don't, but my keyboard lets me press every key simultaneously via USB.

No

>polling for an input a thousand (1000) times per second with the octa core just to register a single key press which might or might not happen

Lol

Can't you brick the motherboard if you pull it out at the wrong time?

>"maymay"
kill yourself

>No. 125Hz, vs 1000Hz of USB.
But with the difference that PS2 sends interrupts while USB listens for inputs.
Doesn't really matter for non-autists, though.

Difference being, the octa core has just about a few hundred million instructions per second that can gobble up those 1000 easily. Interrupting the entire CPU for a single cycle costs you way more cycles if you're clicking your mouse more than a couple times a minute.

If all you do is look at your computer screen without actually using the mouse, sure, PS2 is better.

is this lore?