/wt/ Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for newbies:
youtube.com/watch?v=C9ylkhcs7rw

>Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

>Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/carrotIndustries/pluto
hackaday.com/2016/05/30/gutting-and-rebuilding-a-classic-watch/
blog.endclothing.com/hender-scheme-x-g-shock-dw-5600hs-4jf-coming-soon/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

What are we wearing today?

The Seiko.

Fun fact:
This watch has a regulator inside it, at first I didn't recognize it to be one, but it damn well is.
Never heard of regulation in digital quartz watches.

A regulator? What do you mean? Not like a balance right?

In quartz probably a trimmer (variable capacitor)

rang the seiko boutique to get a baby snowflake but even they cannot get it
so.... just got a SARB035 on ebay
now the wait begins

The light brown thing with a gold screw on it.
The watch was running maybe a second a day fast so I adjusted it some days ago, now it's maybe half a second late.

Sorry for your loss. SARBs are so boring and you will not want it in a few weeks.

I want to order a nice and manly watch. Not looking to spend over 200€. Recommendations? It'd be my first watch since I was a little kid

Oh I'm an idiot, regulator right. I was thinking of something else. That is pretty cool user.

Casio f-91w
Or 28 Casio f-91ws if you want to spend the full 200.

SRP777,SKX007, Orient Ray's, 2.5 Vostok Amphibian's or one of the SE versions on Meranom's website.

SRP777's are available at that price, though you might have to search.

Casio F91-W with Pluto Mod.

What is a pluto mod?

New? Check Seiko 5 range, Casio Edifice, Citizen Eco-Drive and Orient full range.

Asuming you dont want a digital watch.

github.com/carrotIndustries/pluto
hackaday.com/2016/05/30/gutting-and-rebuilding-a-classic-watch/
Pretty interesting stuff, the guy did what I had thought and deemed infeasible.

There's a similar project called GoodWatch for Casio calculator watches if you are extra sperg. Based on the same chip as Pluto.

Any Seiko SARB017 owners here? Is it your favorite watch? Do you have better recommendations?

Never seen one irl, but the hype with it is asthonising.

That looks terrible and nerdy. I want a man's watch, not a neckbeard's.

These are pretty nice

Good enough for Osama and Obama, good enough for you, you damn incel.

>He owns a Seiko 5 when Vosoks exist
why??

Most people do not know how to get the most value for their money.
Many companies exist solely based on this fact, for example: Daniel Wellington, Michael Kors, etc (all fashion "brand" companies).

Finally, the luxury G-Shock DW 56000 you've been waiting for:

blog.endclothing.com/hender-scheme-x-g-shock-dw-5600hs-4jf-coming-soon/

sure it's a bit of a gimmick watch, but i really like this withings activite, more every day of an everyday device, than my lezyne GPS watch.

also what's Sup Forums's opinion of MVMT watches, as they look great and aren't too expensive.

>MVMT

MVMT watches are really good actually, they offer the luxury we would normally have to spend several hundreds on for just a under 200.

1973 automatic Omega Genève. Gotta keep it classy.

wondered that, any idea of any other brands which offer the same minimal design.

I have one, it's very nice if you like the aesthetic. It can get magnetized, even though it's supposed to be resistant.

The usual

Since when is it supposed to be anti-magnetic?

The Sarb017 never had any magnetic resistance. Most other Sarb watches have though

pls no bulli

No SARB watch advertises it's magnetic resistance.

>zero taste in strap variety

>No leather
>No variety

Leather straps are always shit unless they cost £100s

sort the strap on the Alpinist

Waiting for strapcode to restock the oyster

I had a couple of these bezels for the Vostok, and though they are well made the finishing is very different than the finishing on the case of the Vostok.

Also you should try some other straps, specifically leather, unless you're allergic to it.

Maybe if you go to chink vendors
>implying only three options exist

I got you

They do, read the case back of the Sarb033

All sarbs have the antimagnetic mark on the caseback.

Any popular brands are always shit. Hirsch is one example.

Nice. Actually considering getting a Dolce next.

Trimmer capacitors are fairly common in vintage quartz watches, user. My grandfathers digital Roamer from the late 70's has one inside.

This . I would rather put it on a chain and into my pocket than using it on that strap.

I see, this is my first vintage quartz thought, I was not expecting to see it that's all.

>popular
So don't buy popular brands then? How dense are you? Get handmade straps off Etsy.

I'm guessing it has the magnet with one bar symbol like my SARB does? That doesn't mean shit, I wouldn't trust it with a fridge magnet.

>>>/no/

>>>/yes/

>>>/WUS/

>>>STOP

Where can i get one?

Except for the Sarb017

eBay

Right now im wearing my brand new Nomos Club.

Is that the one you JUST ordered off eBay? How is it? I want a Nomos pretty bad and I think my next one will be a Nomos or Tudor

Uh, no? Look at the caseback.

Yeah it's that one. It seems pretty nice so far, I've only just got home from work though so I've only had it on a couple of hours.
The lugs look fine in person. I hope this strap loses its shine soon, so far it feels a lot like the standard Komandirskie strap.

There's no anti magnetic symbol on there like the Sarb033 has. Might say something in the manual though

U liek?

Crap

Shit, looking closer at some pictures you are correct. It should be more so than the other SARBs with a solid caseback though.

It’s a SKX007J on a miltat bracelet with a ratcheting seiko prospex diver clasp

What do you think?

Nice, is that a Strapcode bracelet?

Thanks
Yes, miltat is strapcode, solid end links and nice and heavy

Nice isn't it? I've got one on my SKX.

I think it’s pretty well-made , If there were nicer bracelet for it I would buy one but I don’t know any nicer bracelet at any price for this watch

Stop posting your SKXs, you'll trigger the Slavshit male.

I really want a submariner but I don’t have $10,000 to piss away, for the price I don’t think you can be the SKX if you just want a simple diver

Amphibia

Yeah, it's a pretty nice watch despite the fact that everyone here has turned against it lately.

That’s true those are just fine

Well the SKX does cost a little more I do think it’s that much better I have about $300 in mine with the Bracelet in clasp upgrades and if you were going to spend $300 I don’t really think you can get anything better the Russian Watch is cheaper but I don’t think it’s as nice

I've heard that you need lock-tite on the screws, is that true?

I prefer the turtle for the extra cash.

Ah, yes. The small penis thread.

I will say that the lume on mine is basically useless if I wear it all day it is Unreadable after an hour of darkness and unreadable all night I heard people talk on here about the lume lasting for seven or eight hours but I have not found that to be the case with any watch

That being said I just took this photo in the bathroom

No

The turtle is good if you can get a sample with excellent chapter ring aligment.

I like the turtle too And I will probably get one someday but right now I prefer the SKX

It might just be that we have different editions, but mine does have lume that lasts that long. Maybe you got a fake.

Your lume last for eight hours after just normal daily wear say mostly inside under fluorescent lights ?

I’m sure I don’t have a fake I bought it brand new and it’s extremely well-made and nice I just cannot imagine a fake being this nice

Is it SKX club hour? Here's mine then.

I've had no problems with mine.

But I have slavshit too.

I got my SKX before the Turtle was released.

that bottom right watch would look so much better on a different strap
i really love the green dial too

>tfw want a plain watch to go with everyday outfits and my suits
>tfw want something like but still too much of a noob to actually find a decent one like that for 150-200€

hmm, maybe just different expectations then. It definitely won't be that bright all the time, but waking up in the morning you can easily tell the time. Night vision is still strong and in pitch black darkness its pretty bright.

I had to search for a pic but I found one, I have it on a leather nato at the moment.