/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Old Thread: If you're looking for purchase advice, state your budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Recommended IBM models:
X60, X61, T60, T61, 860, Transnote, PC110

Recommended modern models:
X220 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
T420 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, Ivy Bridge installable w/ Coreboot
W520 - 15", 1080p, Desktop Replacement, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
T440p, T540p, W540 - last ThinkPads to have replaceable CPUs, IPS displays available, chiclet
P series - reminiscent to old build quality, top-of-the-line specs, better than most current mobile workstations, but very expensive

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

Used laptop guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com

ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
lenovoservicetraining.com/

EPP discount for new ThinkPads:
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW (embed) (embed) (embed)

BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/LENOVO-T430s-2353ABU-Intel-Core-i5-2-60GHz-2GB-Ram-Laptop-NVIDIA-Graphics/232570264207?hash=item3626449a8f:g:KkkAAOSwHNxaFFDo#viTabs_0
ebay.com/itm/172878006762
ebay.com/itm/Dell-Precision-M70-PP15L-Laptop-2Ghz-1-5GB-RAM-WIFI-WINDOWS-XP-WUXGA-1920-x-1200-/112718065035
intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005524/graphics-drivers.html
mail.coreboot.org/pipermail/coreboot/2017-June/084549.html
ticket.coreboot.org/issues/121
dankpads.com/2017/08/21/ivy13-14/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>tfw father's work has over 200 T420s and X220s in storage that theyre just getting rid of
>tfw I can have all of them
>for free

Threadly reminder to ignore frogposters like , and annoying freetards.

So are you going to share them with /tpg/ or just post about it every few threads?

X220's speaker volume seems pretty low. Is this how they all are?

howdy
here.
ended up ordering an i5 x220 for about $100 usd
just got shipping confirmation this morning. feels good man

I posted this in the last thread, any help appreciated:

Would a Lenovo T430 w/ i7 3520 (3rd gen) + 180gb SSD be a good idea for $230?

I'm new to Thinkpads and this seems like a good deal to the untrained eye. Any insight?

Setting up my new to me X220 and I noticed that after having a few terminal windows open and then closing them I can still see a residual image? Is this expected with IPS screens or is mine defected/damaged?

Yup, that's normal I'm afraid.. Not sure if it's an issue with all the available panels for the X220 though

So, wait, a T420 can run Skyrim fine? Without eGPU?

>he bought a thinkpad for gaming

Too much of a newfag to know if you're baiting, but kill yourself

I never said I bought it for gaymen, reading comprehension, asswipe

GIVE ME ONE, user! PLEASEEEEE!

Hey guys
I've got a standard laptop HDD.
Do I need a special caddy? I was going to be buying this ebay auction, putting more RAM and a HDD in it.
ebay.com/itm/LENOVO-T430s-2353ABU-Intel-Core-i5-2-60GHz-2GB-Ram-Laptop-NVIDIA-Graphics/232570264207?hash=item3626449a8f:g:KkkAAOSwHNxaFFDo#viTabs_0

I don't play very much and I'm considering to buy a thinkpad for coding. A X220/T420 is able to rund DotA, isn't it?

Oh, I know I'd need to get a power supply, too.
Is that a bad laptop to get? I'm a broke college kid who's current PC's dying.

T430 or T420? which one does Sup Forums preffers???

Threadly reminder

How do i unlock L420 bios?

THINKPLEBS ON SUICIDE WATCH

Fuck it, just got this.
ebay.com/itm/172878006762
Tell me how badly I fucked up, Sup Forums
Here.

it's ok, just try to put some more RAM.

delet this.

I've got 8gb i'll stick into it when I get it.

>I bought a T420, it's too slow, and I regret my purchase.png

> thinkplebs

> fits red trackpoint cap to two-button shitstick

lol ok

>shitstick
thinkfag who never used superior Synaptic TouchStyk detected.

EVERY FUCKING TIME YOU NIGGER

I'm curious, where did you bought it?
Also, IPS screen?

the only negative inertia you've ever known is your career

The T and X series do not have a GPU, if you want one, you need a W series.

But I'm doing what I love and I'm being paid very well. Can you elaborate what did you mean by this?

What anime is this?

we've already established you're incapable of correctly deciding what to love

>we've already
Who do you mean by "we"? You and your imaginary anime waifu?
Please enable your tripcode so we can talk seriously.

they do have a gpu but it is not a gaming gpu it is a tiny shitty quadro 4200

Do docking stations (ex. thinkpad) add ports, or reroute ports? If there are 4 USB ports on the laptop and another 2 on the dock, is that 6 usable USB ports at once, or just 4? t. brainlet

Yes.

ThinkPad docks add ports in most cases. Can't speak for other brands.

Yes, this is exactly how it works.

>Shopping for used business laptops from people who don't report full specs
>Have to look up full specs from manufacturer
>1366x768 option on 15+ inch model
>tfw can't be sure you're getting a highres display
Thanks.

I know right, it's the fucking worst.

>can you access the BIOS without a password?
>what is the screen resolution?
>what is the GPU inside?
>what's the resolution?
>what's the screen? IPS?
>is the battery and cord included?

How hard can it fucking be to write a proper description?

Some people fuck up on the simple parts, too. Ordered a T450 on ebay and got a T450s.

that looks neat but I have a desktop for that sort of thing.
ebay seller
person's got a t430 for $130 and just realized my description didn't specify if it was ips for the x220 or not. im not heart broken if it isn't though.

It should be possible for all these eBay morons to get together and pay someone to make a fast-booting Linux OS that reports all this shit and pipes it out to a preformatted eBay description. They clearly already use some form of automation.

That wouldn't help with the BIOS but it would give almost everything else.

>ordered a T420 refurb for $150
>got a fucking T430
what the fug

you could get some money back because of that user.

This shit happens on new laptops too
>boss orders new HP 17" laptops from Jeff Bezos
>1600 x 900
FUUUUUUUUUUUU

True, but I mean since I got it I might as well do the keyboard mod. This is fucking retarded though.

Got a T440 here with an SSD install, they're Still decently easy to work on but I don't really fancy the whole bottom coming off as one unit. I almost broke a clip! Still a nice machine though.

It looks clean tho
I've bought "refurbs" that were much nastier

Nevermind, it has to go back. I got jewed hard. Fucking Amazon.

reconnect the lcd cable... you cuck.

I look at these and wonder if I should just skip the T420's listed locally
I can't stand 1300x768 or whatever they are

>at least you can return it
better that my dealings with ebay, user

There's also scratches in the fucking screen nigger.

Somehow you don't mind the cumstained keyboard. Literally (You).

>1200p
>Windows XP era
ebay.com/itm/Dell-Precision-M70-PP15L-Laptop-2Ghz-1-5GB-RAM-WIFI-WINDOWS-XP-WUXGA-1920-x-1200-/112718065035

What models should I be looking at that were manufactured between 2001 - 2005, fully supports windows 2000/XP and has 3D accelerated graphics? Really no other criteria or price constraints.

>no sound

jesus christo, has Amazon purchased Craigslist?

>$30 shipped
OK
>$129
no way

>it's also 1366x768
Christ this is a joke.

Don't feel too bad user. We ordered an office chair from Amazon(tm) that never arrived and the seller just made excuses. One nasty phone call to actual Amazon support fixed it.

>Microsoft authorized
Yeah it all makes sense now. At least I'm getting a full refund though this is a shame, I was planning on bringing this on my move instead of my x220 but oh well.

What is a reasonable amount of money to spend on an X61/X61s in relatively good condition?

T430 is better in every way after the keyboard swap. (If that matters to you.)

they should just boot into a live iso and post the screenfetch/neofetch

Alienware?

T530

man FUCK lenovo for making all their docking solution lists so complex, I'm gonna edit a chart together one of these days

>thinkpad clit on an elitebook

>man FUCK lenovo for making all their docking solution lists so complex, I'm gonna edit a chart together one of these days
Please do.

I'm debating whether to buy a W510 (128gb SSD, 4gb RAM, i7) from my dad's employer for $290, or to buy a T420 off of Ebay or something instead. Which one do you guys recommend? Is $290 a good deal for a used W510 in good condition?

The stylus for my x61t broke inside the little compartment it is stored in. Half of it is stuck in there any ideas how I can get it out?

Best method of purchasing a new stylus? I never use it but it feels weird not having one...

Negative. Buy off Ebay or haggle with your dad's boss.

>Is $290 a good deal for a used W510 in good condition?
No, it's terrible. Just get a cheap T420 instead

Half that is a good deal.

Haha ;)

What display does it have? They were shipped with 1366x768 often. Still sounds high especially if the battery is old. You can get really nice 2 year old dells for that price.

The company hasn't provided any specs besides the SSD capacity, RAM, and processor.
Based on the other anons' advice I'll probably just buy a T420 instead.
Is the W510 substantially better than the T420 in any way?

It could possibly have a 1080p screen vs the T420's 900p max resolution (without mods)

That's wrong ish
HD 3000 won't but the nvs card might

I work with a decent amount of machines, I got my hands on a ThinkPad Twist but the only problem is it has a Supervisor Password so I can't bypass the uefi bullcrap to use it. Does anyone have experience cracking these? It's a shame to have to trash the machine.

Threadly reminder that frogshitters have no idea what they're talking about
>daily reminder that the HD 3000 is a shit gpu for anything gpu related
intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005524/graphics-drivers.html
>daily reminder that you need to flash coreboot to use ivy bridge cpus on 20 series thinkpads, which require hardware flashers
so its no easier than removing the whitelist on a 30 series thinkpad
>daily reminder that coreboot is still not very stable with ivy bridge on 20 series thinkpad
mail.coreboot.org/pipermail/coreboot/2017-June/084549.html
ticket.coreboot.org/issues/121

its easier to just install the keyboard on a 30 series thinkpad guys

How hard is it to swap out the base of an X230? Found one for a decent price but under the hinge is completely fucked

Nice low profile card

Hey that's be-
Oh okay it has to leave right fucking now

This T440 is a refurb from Newegg, they put stickers over the keys (pic related) and the trackpad clicks like mush, Yuck.

Swapping the base is fairly easy, I've done it before. However most of the time loose hinges only need to be tightened to fix, there's no need to swap the base.

You'll have to remove everything but it's not that hard
If you don't go full sperg and yank everything out without checking if you're fucking shit up you'll be fine
If you can read the service manual it'll take about 20 minutes

taller aspect ratio

thanks desu, fits pretty nicely~~

Pic related

There were modded dolby drivers (for Windows 7) that worked for W520's... dunno if there was one for X220.

My T430s has shit speakers under linux, feels bad.

Hi, this is Saucey, your local tripfag who will be your guide to buying ThinkPads on eBay; local sales do work too.
I can attest to be one of the better nice posters here, you'll see a few posts telling me to 'kys', 'dont post here', 'fuck off' or 'filtered', that is the sign of approval on Sup Forums.

A few months back I did a price comparison on 13" and 14" laptops you'd find on eBay.
>dankpads.com/2017/08/21/ivy13-14/

A low price for a decent T430 is about $150, and they would go up to $250 for a good price. But people would pay up to $350 for fully loaded, mint condition, or units with warranties.

The i7-3520m processor typically sells for $45 and $55 alone.

Searching sold listings on ebay for "i7-3520m SSD" and while checking "used" on the left panel for options, my search results yields about 151 laptops. I scrolled right to the middle of the page and the price is about $240.

So given if it has a good battery and comes with an AC adapter, I would say that is about fair price for your unit. However, you could probably get a unit for $180, even lower than that like $130 if you are lucky. Also consider getting a Dell E6430 or HP 8470p if you don't want mSATA support, these are the T430's competitors.

get the fuck outta my thread, you disgusting subhuman trap.
I hope in 2018 Trump will gather shits like you in FEMA camps.

The hinge is bent but I'm hoping that's just loose, main issue is a chunk missing from the chassis under the hinge hence the replacement

Ty man, I'll give it a flick through

T430 guy here.

I pulled the trigger on a grade b Newegg refurb for 240 with the i7 and 180gb SSD. Money isn't really an issue, just replacing my Asus x44h that I have had since college.

>shit speakers under linux,
try pulseeffects

Hey saucy
I picked up a X31 recently
When I try to boot all I get is the power led
No screen not even the backlight
Is the mobo kill?