Mics and Interfaces

What's a good mic and interface for recording music at home?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rn2LrVPJHTs
youtube.com/watch?v=lhg3usxgG7U
youtube.com/watch?v=mMvVATiyqTc
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

What are you recording?
I have a sennheiser e609 for guitar amps
That's a fine interface, comes with ableton

RME Babyface

I use a Focusrite Scarlett Solo with knockoff SM58 it's pretty good.

Drums, guitar, bass, and vocals. Not at the same time, but I play a lot of instruments.

Solo Gen2 user here.
If only they fixed the static voice problem that randomly occurs from time to time.
Newest driver fixed it a lot but there's still moment when it records static.

I haven't used others so I can't tell, but the Scarlett solo 2 with an SM57 works fine for me.

Now that I think of it though, I should have probably gotten a Steinberg UR 22 mk2. Even tho it's slightly more expensive, it has Midi I/O, it can be powered separately, it has separate knobs for headphones and mixing. It also has 2 hybrid 2 XLR / jack 6.3 mm combo line inputs. Overall more options than the Solo. Not sure about the quality of the sound.

The equivalent Scarlett is also slightly more expensive. So, value for money the Steinberg sounds better. Heck, even Behringer.

Again, I'm not sure how they compare in terms of sound quality.

>mic

Depends on what kind of recordings you're planning on doing: VOs? instruments? vocals? There are different mics that are optimal for each case.

Steinberg UR22 interface
Autio Technica AT2020 condenser microphone

Definitely worth the extra moneys to get phantom power interface/powered condenser microphone.

I have that interface with an MXL 770. Sounds great for vocals on the cheap.

This. As far as interfaces+mic preamps go, it's hard to beat RME.

youtube.com/watch?v=rn2LrVPJHTs

youtube.com/watch?v=lhg3usxgG7U

youtube.com/watch?v=mMvVATiyqTc

Damn those Yamaha mixers are so nice, because of the extra features they have on top of the interface.

2i2 gen 1 here
Avoid the gen 1, it's very unstable, I hate mine

m8, you just posted a pic that answers your own question...

if u want best bang for the buck:
chinese condenser mic on aliexpress (bm800, bm700, nw800, nw700, nw1500)
Behringer UMC22 interface - 2x2 with phantom power, all metal construction, decent midas preamp (Behringer UM2 is even cheaper but shittier build quality and preamp + some ppl have drivers and noise problems)

I made enough money with a 2i2 and a sm57 to buy a rme 802 and a u87, so yes its pretty good op.

How did you make money with a mic and an interface

what's the cheapest 2 in 4 out interface you can get

I got a Roland Rubix recently, though I haven't had a chance put it to much use yet. Does what I need it to do and has the features I want, anyway. Only issue I've had is the driver won't install on windows 7, had to use windows 10 instead.

Forgot pic. Also looks decent and isn't a Focusrite meme interface.

I have that exact interface. The Scarlett 2i2 works great for me.

>Drums
>At home
Well good luck. Aside from that, generally you'll easily need 8 mics for the drumkit alone. You can try to get by with four if you want a garage style mix (two overheads, a snare and a kick mic), but you'll need a good drummer since your mixing options will be very limited. The kind of drummer that doesn't hit the cymbals absurdly harder than the toms and snare.

Aside from that, I own a Steinberg UR22 MkII. It's okay and does what it's supposed to . If I were to do it again, I'd most likely get a Behringer UMC404HD or its two channels version. Excellent features, good preamps for an absurdly low price.