Introducing the Voltra Music Server - your own private music streaming hardware

blog.voltra.co/introducing-the-voltra-music-server.html

>These days, music is all about access — streaming services are selling you access to their music catalogues. But instead of renting your music from somebody else, wouldn’t it be better if you could get access to your own music collection just as easily — wherever you are, on any device? And for free?

>The Voltra Audio Archive has been successful so far, but we also wanted to offer a solution that isn’t backed by the cloud — a hardware product that would fit in perfectly with everything else we have built.

>And so we are building the Voltra Music Server.

>Think of the Voltra Music Server as your own private home streaming server. You own the music, you stream it from your home. It’s private, secure, and there are no monthly payments or subscriptions.

>Designed for Music -- More than just storage, the Voltra Music Server uses a protocol that replicates your metadata. This means the information that describes your music is properly updated when there are changes. When you access your music from any of your devices, the information is up-to-date and accurate.

>You can also stream your hi-res music in its original quality by connecting to your Voltra Music Server — we don't compress or downsample any of your music files.

>It's yours -- Most music services want to be your landlord — you stop paying the rent, they take it all away. Voltra Music Server is yours and you control it completely. There's no monthly subscription.

>And of course, you own the music. Your music listening isn't subject to broadcast licensing terms. It wont be taken down at the whim of a record label. It won't disappear when your favorite streaming service goes out of business.

Other urls found in this thread:

hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G150229074080
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

There are niggers in my cereal, on my lawn, in my mouth wash , in my keyboard, in my floors, in my lamp, in my shampoo, in my radiator , in my tissues , in my mattress, in my oven , in my newspaper

And now in my music box?

No thanks. No deal.

Huh. Is the software FOSS?

This sounds kinda like PLEX

> At Voltra, we’re going to contribute 5% of all sales of the Voltra Music Server to independent open source developers who have created work that we use in our products.

looks like they use open source products... and sell it to you.

So it's literally a NAS with an app.
>>>/fsf/

>Paying $299.99 for a raspberry pi

wait so is it basically a mini PC with just a http server and a hard drive on it
you can make some shit like this for 180$ probably

You ever accidentally delete your post three times so you just have to meme arrow instead of making valid arguments? Yeah, me too.

>shitty but pretty home server with extremely diminished capabilities and no I/O
>three hundred fucking united states buckaroos
>implying anyone at all owns music except label CEOs and sometimes artists

>implying normies would rather set up even the most basic home server for 300 bucks rather than pay The Man 9.99 indefinitely for all the pop music they want
>implying normies know where to find music without pirating it

audiophiles are fucking idiots and WILL fall for this

you can literally just get this

hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G150229074080

>Buy a raspi - $40
>Buy 2TB HDD - $60
>Setup icecast + liquidsoap
(Optional)
>Write a quick php script to interact with liquidsoap for playlisting etc + simple app frontend for it
????

i bet this nigger glows in the dark

So... it's a rasberry pi in a box for 250 USD?

while we're on the topic of over-priced pi-s:

What is the most powerful pi-like thing out there with a good GPU
xu4 odroid?

Server and app are in apple ecosystem only

???? Why

How about I just get an Intel NUC and connect to it over Plex

>Write a quick php script to interact with liquidsoap for playlisting etc + simple app frontend for it

As an app developer this is the shittiest way to work with audio on a mobile device. Also as an app developer its definitely worth it to have someone else maintain a native app for me. Music apps seem easy but they're a fucking pain to write correctly

>with a good GPU
What?
Do you want to mine or something? Is this 2013?

I was thinking of using the app as a simple remote control to liquidsoap. The actual streaming would just werk like normal internet radio via icecast.
So the app would just pick playlists/modify the queue.

mpd has an app, you know.

no just minspec gpu programming

Thats neat what are these usually used for?

>buy old android phone or RPI
>install VLC/mpd
>install mpd on your PC
>now you can listen to music in your house and control it from your PC/phone/etc

To be fair the app probably has a nicer front end than a foss/nas equivalent however it sure as shit isn't "free" in both senses of the word.

If I wanted to download mp3s then id just copy them straight to my phone rather than copying them to a server then streaming them. A streaming service allows me to listen to a near infinite selection of music instantly.

Plex can already do this. There are also NAS solutions if you buy a brand name one like Synology. Both of which are free pieces of software and only one of them requires you to buy a piece of hardware (which to be fair, is a NAS anyways).

This. You can make one for way less with a raspberry pi.