The current state of GNU/Linux software

>be me, go on Sup Forums, read about the merits of GNU/Linux
>install Manjaro on my ThinkPad because Arch was too complicated and no one likes Ubuntu
>some time later...
>need to edit a .pdf document
>default .pdf editor on Manjaro can't do that
>need to find a different program to do that
>after a long search, and a long process of figuring out how to install from AUR, I install 'masterpdfeditor'
>it isn't very intuitive, but it works
>some time later...
>need to edit a .pdf form document "created in Adobe LiveCycle, which must be saved to your computer and opened with Adobe Reader 9 or later"
>open it in 'masterpdfeditor', can confirm, it just shows up as a bunch of Hindi symbols
>search for "adobe reader linux"
>find out Adobe dropped support for GNU/Linux software some time ago
>after a long search, find out there's a compatible program called 'acroread'; I install it
>it opens the document fine, but scrolling is glitchy (!), many form boxes aren't editable (!!), and it crashed when I tried to edit a box (!!!)
>there must be a better way
>install Wine, download the .exe from Adobe website
>I run the installer, it creates the right folders, but no files inside them
>search for the error online, other people report same problem, "yeah, the installer is broken"
>keep searching
>read about 'playonlinux'... this looks promising
>install 'playonlinux', install Adobe Reader through its GUI
>feels good, everything seems to be working
>critical error, installation fails after a new version of Wine and Adobe Reader has been downloaded
>retry installation two more times, same error
>search for error online, no results
>this whole process has taken 3 hours so far
>enough is enough
>give up, log into Windows box, install Adobe Reader, download document
>everything works immediately
>mfw I fell for the GNU/Linux meme

Why is the current state of GNU/Linux software so shit, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_peUxE_BKcU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

you are retarded

>when you just install virtualbox and w7 and use windows inside linux

how many days in a row are you gonna post this trash? you're not even trying hard anymore. anyone posting below this is equally as retarded as OP

I will stop posting when someone finally points me to a solution that allows me to edit a .pdf form document "created in Adobe LiveCycle, which must be saved to your computer and opened with Adobe Reader 9 or later" on GNU/Linux.

I'm still using Windows. That's suboptimal.

>created in Adobe LiveCycle, which must be saved to your computer and opened with Adobe Reader 9 or later
you're dense. stop working with retarded file formats and you'll find tools that can work with shit. you must be a fucking loser if you have the time to post this shit every day

No.
I was sent the document, so I need to work with what I have.
I've only posted this thread two days in a row.

>I was sent the document, so I need to work with what I have.
>I've only posted this thread two days in a row.
instead of booting windows or running adobe in wine, you choose to post this thread reeing about "loonix is bad cuz i don't get it"
you seem like a real problem solver

Print file
Fill out form, sign it etc.
Scan document
Reply.

Also okular works fine for the forms my government uses.

Did you even read the OP?

Thanks for the suggestion, but it still doesn't work.

>loonix is HAAARRRRRD REEEEEEEe
>arch doesnt just WERK

straight from the arch wiki:
>Whereas many GNU/Linux distributions attempt to be more user-friendly, Arch Linux has always been, and shall always remain user-centric. The distribution is intended to fill the needs of those contributing to it, rather than trying to appeal to as many users as possible. It is targeted at the proficient GNU/Linux user, or anyone with a do-it-yourself attitude who is willing to read the documentation, and solve their own problems.

sorry you have a hard time with linux, I have an old version of adobe that runs in wine just fine for me. you probably should just stick to windows brainlet

just install win7 in a vm and use it when you run into these problems

But he was using manjaro which is much like arch so he knows what he's doing. The fact remains that the freetard community can't fill in all the holes windows can

>this document has XFA forms, which are currently unsupported

>I DONT UNDERSTAND WHY IT WONT WERRRRK REEEEEE

Hey OP, don't forget
youtube.com/watch?v=_peUxE_BKcU
saged.

>But he was using manjaro which is much like arch so he knows what he's doing.

L M F A O
M
F
A
O

Use a VM with Adobe Reader, it's by far the worst PDF reader in existence, it's high usage is beyond me.

Hey, dumbass, I know exactly what isn't working. Find me a PDF Editor that can deal with forms that can work on GNU/Linux. I haven't found one.

I will try to do this, I don't know why it hadn't occured to me before. Thanks.

>Hey, dumbass, I know exactly what isn't working. Find me a PDF Editor that can deal with forms that can work on GNU/Linux. I haven't found one.
>find me an open source software that can handle proprietary file attributes

retard, your solutions have been posted in this thread, what you're looking for clearly doesn't exist,

>I will try to do this, I don't know why it hadn't occurred* to me before. Thanks.
>being this retarded
probably should just off yourself now

Because you prefer to shitpost crying instead of doing something about it, you are fucking pathetic kid, please don't ever come back.

>look mom, posted it again
>le ebin

Why do you even bother to post? I know you've lived through a troubled childhood, but you need to get some help.

you can't even argue to the point you were attempting to make. you don't know shit about Linux to begin with. Windows is probably your best bet loser. go do your homework and get ready for bed.

>time to play the victim
Holy fuck you are truly pathetic.
I bet you came here expecting to get some form of validation for your incompetence and before you try to pull the cheap psychologist rambling learn to use Google before you end up being regarded as a retard.

>The current state of OP thread

Don't know why I did it, but I had to read up on xfa.
It allows people to create an XML form that is more flexible than the static forms used before.
Xfa seems barely usable when used as a front end internally, simply using HTML and a "generate PDF" seems much easier for everyone.
Why this was ever a thing is beyond me but that isn't the point, the point is to get you to read xfa files.
The windows version of foxit might work.
It should be easier to get to work than adobes reader. I have never received a document containing xfa so I can't test it for you.

Is there not a way of doing it within the browser?

Why are you continuing? How was I playing the victim?

No, not possible.

Thank you for your effort. I don't know shit about HTML or XML so I don't know what to think about that.

I installed a Win7 VM, everybody. It works...

VMs are the usual solution. They are free so there's no downside. OS are tools so I see no reason not to run what serves me. My Windows hosts get Linux guests and my Linux hosts get Windows guests at a minimum.