/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Headphone guide: canpicker.com/

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

aliexpress.com/item/Replacement-Memory-Foam-Earpads-Ear-Cushions-For-Sony-MDR-V6-ZX-700-Brainwavz-HM5-Many-Other/32830055644.html
amazon.com/Replacement-Ear-Pads-LyxPro-HAS-30/dp/B01N6DLLMN
ebay.com/itm/Velour-Velvet-Ear-Pads-Cushion-Superlux-HD-HMD-Series-Pro-Studio-Headphones-/261643450065
innerfidelity.com/content/creative-aurvana-live-classic-reincarnate
aliexpress.com/item/HM5-Velour-Memory-Foam-Replacements-Earpads-for-Over-The-Ear-Headphones/32824960140.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

umi!!!!!!!

Gatekeeper user is not going to like this

what is the second best in-ear behind a stax?

Idol trash here. What's your setup like, user?
Umi a best. A best!!

Atticus user, right? How do they sound?

idol trash user finally took over.
god save us all

Goodbye ATH-WS55. You served me well. Hope the Samson SR850 lives up to her predecessor.

reddit anime

No it's me actually

Just got some Beyerdynamic Amirons. Pls recommend me a good amp for them and why you think it is good. Under 300$. Much appreciated bros.

kinda like the atticus. not shitting you, it's a dark stax. look at the FR for the sr-003 and the FR for the atticus on innerfidelity. it takes AA batteries in series but I just went and soldered it to take recharable lithium in parallel

>hey bro let me borrow your xb-700's
>What for?
>Well...

/hpg/ almost makes me embarrassed to admit that I own HD 600s, but that would validate the groupthink of this shitty, shitty general. [Some of] You people are the dirt worst.
On the upside, the HD 600 IS pretty good.

Focal elex are now $699 on massdrop

>I hate that people won't shut up about how great it is, but let me tell you how great it is anyways

Is there a worst amp than the magni 3?

OP wasn't by me, but I do approve of OPs with adorable idols in them.

personally waiting for the Clear to inevitably get that 50% price slash like the Elear and Utopia did

If I may inquire, what drove you to get the Amiron in particular?
Also, it's 250 ohms. Fiio, O2, Schiit, Micca...pick your poison. Pretty much any amp will run it decently, just find one with the connections/aesthetic that you require.
More like
>I hate people that shove this fucking headphone down everyone's throat as the summit of all headphones, and shout down any other opinion. That's not to say that it's terrible, because it isn't

HD600 does some weird things to people man

Yeah anything audio-gd makes

Just purchased some chinese HM5 hybrid pads

Also own some good chinese red angled HM5 pads
Not my pic but that's what they look like

You currently can get some chinese HM5 angled pads for like 4 dollars on aliexpress right now. The other chinese HM5 pads are around 10.

aliexpress.com/item/Replacement-Memory-Foam-Earpads-Ear-Cushions-For-Sony-MDR-V6-ZX-700-Brainwavz-HM5-Many-Other/32830055644.html
Would definitely recommend them if you want to make your headphone more comfy.

Also can recommend the Lyxpro Has30 leather pads on amazon, they're pretty great for 9 bucks and they're just as comfy as the HM5 pads.

*forgot pic

Ey gais, are the Skullcandy - INK'D Wireless OK? for a cheap solution to get rid of the wire?

Best headphones under $500

wrong, that would be the ma900

Beats are the best headphones under $500 bucks, hell even a doctor certifies them.

I saw that $250 minixlr cable I linked sold for $50. did someone here end up grabbing it? if so congrats

What are the second best headphones behind the HD600?

Anyone here actually go in on the Elex? I'm curious to hear what people think once they get their hands on them.

I would but they don't ship them to my country

This, everyone knows music is mastered to sound good on the equipment most people use, that being beats, skullcandy and logitech speakers

it basically just is an elear with clear pads on

That's unfortunate.
Yeah, but I don't have an Elear on hand with Clear pads, and I would like to know how people like it. Is that so odd?

if you were curious about it i'd expect you'd have heard the elear or clear as a reference point or something.

Alas, I have yet to get my hands on any Focal cans, but I love the aesthetic and I'm always intrigued by cans like the Elear where for many people it's a love-it-or-hate-it sound. Since the Elex is touted as a "better balanced Elear", I feel like that could hit the sweet spot for a lot of people. Doesn't mean that I'm going to run out and throw money at it, but if it's well received enough I may be motivated to track one down to try. Don't you ever get curious about things you don't have access to?

sure i do, when the product is brand new and i haven't heard it before. the fact that it's an elear with clear pads and measures like a slightly worse clear is information enough for me, i thought the explanation of what the elex is may have saved you some time on wondering what it was if you had heard either but i assumed wrong, my bad.

I know that's what it looks like on paper, but that doesn't mean that it's 100% of the story. If a FR showed a singular, ideal curve that everyone would love (and that was all that affected what we hear), we would all own one (or maybe one of three) headphones, with differences in aesthetic or materials used as the only differentiating factor. I've heard a number of headphones and IEMs that measure less-than-ideal, but I found that I enjoyed them quite a bit nonetheless. Also, I'm too curious for my own good; proof is in the pudding and all that.

when the headphones are near identical then the only major differing factor is the FR, they were aiming to match the clear with the elear driver in the elex and got quite close. any other differences such as distortion etc will be up to the driver difference since the clear has a newer one, but whether that is audible or not is debatable at best.

Are xiaomi hybrid HD good?

Are pads supposed to be expensive?

if zeos got one thing right it was pad swapping. expensive pads are worth it

They don't have to be. If you want genuine leather thick pads though then expect to pay some money.

I want something soft to replace my stock Superlux HD681.
Some Velour pads I am looking at are like $30

How good are these 'today'?
It's recommended to me by the canpicker

I'd use it for home mostly and few commutes.

>creative
No. No. No.
>home + commute
Pick one. Indoors use and on-the-go use headphones make different tradeoffs.

so can a cheap dac like fiio d3 work with a decent amp like o2? would u recommend it? i cant really stretch my budget more for a better dac. this is my attempt at already stretching it not to get e10k but something better.

they are known to be great cheapo headphones
>No. No. No.
lol e-mu teak is also creative, did you know that?

And Cambridge Soundworks (r.i.p.)

Oh, I hope you like it.

Wow. I was considering the LCD-2C, but these... Hmmm. Really makes me think.

ebay.com/itm/Velour-Velvet-Ear-Pads-Cushion-Superlux-HD-HMD-Series-Pro-Studio-Headphones-/261643450065

Good for the price, if you're careful with them. Decent FR.
innerfidelity.com/content/creative-aurvana-live-classic-reincarnate

It's an OEM

Is there a way to increase the clamp of your headphones? They fall off my head too easily when moving around.

Buy headphones with decent clamp to begin with. Such as HD600.

>Wow. I was considering the LCD-2C, but these... Hmmm. Really makes me think.
god damn it I hate your buying preferences idol trash

Not really, there's a way to do the reverse and loosen it but tightening is difficult. Were they ever clampy enough or were they always loose?

Just bought these, how did I do?

DT 990 600 Ohm, a Behringer DAC and a (admittedly cheap) tube amp. Sounds pretty good so far.

That's not me, pal.

god damn it I hate your buying preferences idol trash

>DT990
>Behringer
You couldn't have done worse if you tried.

If you want velour I can recommend these
aliexpress.com/item/HM5-Velour-Memory-Foam-Replacements-Earpads-for-Over-The-Ear-Headphones/32824960140.html

If you want leather then get these

always loose, shp9500

behringer measures extremely well you idiot

Huh? I'm not Idol Trash. I haven't even decided on buying anything. I was considering the LCD-2C because I'd easily be able get my money back if I ever decided to sell it

What do you suggest I should have done? I don't have an unlimited budget

The Behringer was probably the best buy there, was there any reason why you went for the 990 over the 880?

>hate
Why? Hate is self-destructing. It's not worth it.
>your buying preferences
Did I ever buy something really bad? I absolutely do not regret getting HD600.
Anyway, my next headphone purchase is likely to be LCD-2c; I'll re-evaluate it once that's actually available in my area.

Not sure if there is much you can do there aside from trying to bend the metal inward slightly. There might be some solutions out there which may be worth googling.

>Did I ever buy something really bad?
SOMETHING SOMETHING 7506

Bought better headphones. You could have obtained these at the dollar store.
Bought a DAC made by a company not known for making extremely breaking-prone shit.
Not bought a tube amp.
That is seriously one of the worst purchases I have ever seen in here.

Friend's advice really, I told him I wanted open air headphones, and he said the 880 was only "semi open"? So I got the 990s. Also I wanted the 600 ohm model and I don't think they have 600 ohm 880s. I've heard the highs are piercing but it's been pretty good for me so far.

>That is seriously one of the worst purchases I have ever seen in here.
guess you haven't seen the user with the DAC X6

The semi open thing is a marketing buzzword really, they're just as 'open' as the DT990 and will leak just as much sound. They do have 600ohm DT880s (and 770s)

>That is seriously one of the worst purchases I have ever seen in here.
I thought that was my atticus

Congrats Atticus user, you're moving up in the world!

>SOMETHING SOMETHING 7506
That was just a drunk misclick. It wasn't even that expensive. It's being used by my family, too. And it taught me something or another about "sony sound". It basically satiates that AM radio nostalgia. works well with my sdr stick and gqrx.
And now I have some headphones in my old place I can use when I visit my family. Not such a bad deal.

$50-60 would have gotten you an SHP9500S which don't need a DAC or amp and sound much better than those shitcans you bought. You did horribly. $50-60 headphones straight out of your PC would sound much better than your rig. I'm having difficulty comprehending how someone could fail at online research as badly as you did.

>>home + commute
>Pick one
Well let's stick to indoor use then. What's your recc for ~$50-100 other than Creative?
(Leaf dollars btw)

regarding , great thanks Ill buy them

The headphones are very well rated, are you angry I didn't spend $400 on a Sennheiser? That would leave me with no money to buy a DAC or amp, and leave them sounding worse.
Idk about the DAC, it sounds pretty good to me, coming from my friend's Scarlett 2i2. Bit more noise but I keep it low and turn up the amp. It might break but that's what I get for saving like $100.
I have no idea what's wrong with tubes. Please let me know. I'll admit my tube is pretty cheap, but again, I have a budget.

Huh. Well either way mine sound pretty good to me.

Thinkin' of buying these. Thoughts? Looking for something bigger to replace my ATH-M50X.

>bigger
They're smaller in cup size/ear space.

>Looking for something bigger to replace my ATH-M50X.
e-mu teak is a direct upgrade to the m50x

You were this close, too. You could have got the DT880. They are actually somewhat good for their price.
Unlike the DT990, beats-tier garbage.

>The headphones are very well rated
So are Beats.
>I have no idea what's wrong with tubes.
They do not reproduce audio as faithfully as equivalently priced solid state amps. Solid state amps don't have part in them which needs to be regularly replaced. They're simply worse than solid state.

>which needs to be regularly replaced
regularly = 5-10 years. be honest with your arguments

Oh dear, leaf.
Amazon has hd598sr just slightly above your budget. You can do it.

Didn't exactly mean bigger in size, but that's good to know.
>To negotiate the best possible price for our members, we must agree to hide our prices from search engines.
Interesting.

If you buy the same tubes each time and use them about the same amount per year then you will need to replace tubes at regular intervals, hence, regularly.

Which one should I get I'm torn one has really good upper mids and treble and the other has really nice low end and mids

both

Yes, why would it not.

If you have an O2, do you even need another DAC? I thought that the O2 worked fine as a standalone DAC/AMP, unless you're looking for something specific?
Flip a coin and stop worrying.

Definitely do get the Objective 2 over the e10k.

>an eclipse regularly occurs
it's misleading, you make it sound like they have to be changed every month or two.

That's ODAC. A separate box to the O2.

Just get a headphone that has good low end, mids and treble: HD600
Just don't get HD650 or HD6xx because those are low fidelity garbage.

>hd598sr
i literally have this in a return-box right now. wasn't feeling how big it was over my ears desu.

well gatekeeper user is a khv faggot.

STAX SR-009.