/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous: of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***
*** No arguing about systemd ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2015653
linuxsuperuser.com/unable-connect-wifi-debian-and-ubuntu/
ghacks.net/2009/04/14/connect-to-a-wireless-network-via-command-line/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Are adobe products usable now? I've heard of wine, but I just want some fully operational. I don't want to use alternatives. Not bashing, just curious.

Install GuixSD

The CS6 suite of adobe products work flawlessly in wine.
Check appdb for different versions and information on how to make them run

vi hotkeys in my filemanager (with at least 128x128 size thumbnails) when?

That's good to know, I hate cc and I've used cs6 for years. Thanks

So I'm trying to revive a 10 year old machine we had laying around for a poor family who are friends of ours

I installed Debian Stable on it with XFCE and everything just werkz. I put some of my configurations in there plus a few more I use with my own parents to make everything they want to do easy. I taught them how to use it and they were very enthusiastic about it, specially the kids, who are usually more curious about learning the basics on how to use the terminal once you show them the cool stuff you can easily do there.

However I have a slight problem I was hoping to solve before I give it to them tomorrow. The GPU it has is an NVIDIA FX 5200, and it's using the Gallium 0.4 on NV34 free drivers. If I wanted to use the proprietary drivers on it, it would need the 173.14 legacy drivers series. Alas, apparently those were last seen on Debian Wheezy (oldoldstable) and were removed from the repos later. If I do glxinfo, I get that it's using OpenGL 1.5.

Is there any way to get Gallium to use OpenGL 2.0? Or should I frankenDebian it up just a little and get the legacy drivers from the Wheezy repo? Because I know for a fact NVIDIA FX 5200 supports OpenGL 2.0.

I kind of wanted the thing to be able to play openarena, at least to demonstrate.

ok faggots, what the fuck is this? google doesn't give any results and I'm very curious why this process appeared

Fucking around with dwm, trying to set up some auto scripts to set some stuff when it launches.
I made an .xinitrc file in ~/ but it doesnt seem to have done anything?
Is that config file somewhere else or?

the NSA has you, burn everything

Use a distro that is more suitable to your needs at hand

the only explanation it seems fuck me

Is it possible to use redhat without the redhat repos? I tried adding centOS repos to the list and none of them could connect, even with the public key added.

I think I fucked up

I deleted /usr/lib/libcurl.so.4.4.0 and now pacman doesn't work

what do

Download the package from "Packages" on the website and put it in /usr/lib/
Why are you deleting random packages?

Bash roulette

I was installing a package and it said /usr/lib/libcurl.so.4.4.0 already existed so I deleted it and it broke everything.

Where can I download /usr/lib/libcurl.so.4.4.0?

>Where can I download /usr/lib/libcurl.so.4.4.0?
Can you not fucking read?

Please help a noob out

I'm at the end of installing debian on a second hard drive in my computer (the first one contains windows) and it says that "it looks like this new installation is the only one on this computer" so I should install GRUB in the MBR, but there is also windows (I think the installer doesn't see it because of raid) and I don't want to mess it up. Can I just install GRUB on the MBR of my second drive? Will the windows drive be affected?

You need to use os-prober to find the windows install and then set it up in grub

But I don't want it to find the windows install, I wanna pick the disk I wanna boot from each time from the BIOS

Assuming that when he says "the website" he means archlinux.org, I can't find it under the Packages tab.

Sorry if I'm being a dumbass

Do you never get tired of the "not justwerx"?

What's the difference between the hardened grsecurity kernel and the standard Linux kernel?

Read their god damn website

I just know Linus hates the grsecurity folks because according to him they don't care if they break things

void or openbsd for a daily driver?

I mean...changing distros just because I don't know how to get Gallium to use OpenGL 2.0 seems a bit like killing an ant with a sledgehammer, no?

When ever i run firejail with firefox, it can never find my profile directory
Firefox works fine otherwise without using firejail and the .mozilla directory is whtielisted in the firefox.profile
What do

Debian

Anyone please
The white of the installer is killing me
They should make a dark theme for it

can't be doing with systemd famalam, it's super uncomfy compared to runit

You can uninstall systemd from Debian and replace it with whatever init system you wish from the repos

That is wrong and you are stupid.

okay lennart, whatever you want to tell yourself

seems like a lot of unnecessary effort compared to just using something without it in the first place

How can I play Runescape on Ubuntu 17.10?
I'm getting broken dependencies. Should I wine their Windows installer?

Easy way I've done many, many times since 1999 is disconnect the drive you don't want want to install an OS on then perform a normal install.

Reconnect other drive and you can select boot device using BIOS on startup.

I have recently made my own file browser and I'm wondering what steps are now required to make it my default browser. Rn all I have is the java source code (yes java) that I compile thru the command line, so how do I get Ubuntu to recognize this as a stand alone program to set as default???

Use synaptic probably

True, but if it works and it's faster there's no reason not to do it to get your machine working properly.

I know about that but I didn't disconnect the drive because I would have had to destroy all my cable management.
What happens if I install GRUB while the windows drive is plugged in? And if i don't install it at all will the linux drive even be bootable

>And if i don't install it at all will the linux drive even be bootable
No

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
runescape-launcher : Depends: libglew1.10 (>= 1.10.0-3) but it is not installable

It seems like the dependency isn't available for Ubuntu 17.10. What to do?

Suggestions for cpu/ram/net monitor cinnamon applets?
I was using "multi-core system monitor" for a while but for some reason it started using a fuckton resources (which, ironically, I caught by looking at the stats it reported, although the fan sound helped)

ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2015653

I've installed cloverOS and got wifi working by installing wpa supplicant. But one thing i can't figure out is the autostarting of it. I have added it to the default runlevel by doing.
root> rc-update add wpa_supplicant

but it does not seem to start at boot and i have to start it manually with. (which works perfectly)
root> /etc/init.d/wpa_supplicant start

Why is it not working and how can i fix this?

I can see my networks but Icant enter any?
-I have gnome on debian 9 net-install
-No access to ethernet cable, no connection at all
-My windows laptop and linux phone can connect to it no problem
-Im a complete linux noob soI may be over seeing something
-I already checked and the password Im putting is right

Thanks for any help.

Void. OpenBSD only if you have supported hardware. If you have NVIDIA graphics, don't bother with OpenBSD. Both are very comfy.

So you mean your network manager shows the networks, but you can't connect to them?

Or do you mean you can see your networks on other devices like your phone and windows laptop, but they don't even show up in your network manager?

Put it in your rc.local

Nevermind I didn't see the password bit, so I assume you are seeing them in network manager

Do they return any error message when you try to connect?

Have you tried connecting to them via terminal, and seeing if it returns any error messages?

Gonna try and make a file named wpa.start in local.d with "/etc/init.d/wpa_supplicant start" in it. Thanks!

Did not work, got errors telling me it could not start.

Try google it

No, they dont return any error message. After 40 seconds or so, it asks me to write the password again (i type them correctly, i confirmed it with other devices)
How do I connect through the terminal?
Already googled but cant find anything

It sounds like maybe you're missing something in the configuration to your network. I remember I once had a very one-off problem of my university's Wi-Fi requiring you enable some security certificate in the network options before it would let you in, much in the same way you describe it would just re-ask for passwords otherwise. Windows and other things do it automatically but sometimes you'll have do it manually on other devices.

Maybe try looking up your router's model online along with linux and see if anything comes up.

Anybody?

Try this
linuxsuperuser.com/unable-connect-wifi-debian-and-ubuntu/

ghacks.net/2009/04/14/connect-to-a-wireless-network-via-command-line/

Read the comment chain...

I already installed the non-free firmware needed for my network card, forgot to mention
Other than that I dont see anything relevant
I meant that I couldbt find anythibg I didnt already try, but ill check again
I was just viewing this, lol

Thanks for the help guys!

I did, I'm the guy who posted the question initially. I still don't know where I can find the file I deleted, looking for it on archlinux.org yielded nothing.

>yielded nothing.
You didnt look hard enough

or instead of being passive aggressive, you could either tell me more specifically how to find the .so file I need or just provide a link if it's so easy to find

Or be can not do stupid shit and delete random files from his system that he dosent know what they do.
I told him exactly what he needs to do to fix his situation.I wont do anymore then i already have, as its very apparent what needs to be done to restore his system

what do you guys think of bsd? how counter-intuitive and difficult to use is it compared to linux? what is program support like? visualization support(as a host)?

Managed to connect through terminal, thanks a lot guys

BSD is pretty cool since unlike Linux, it's a complete operating system. Sadly there are licensing issues which lead to cuckoldry by companies and BSD never really took off.

Might be a bug with network-manager then.

I would suggest to try using wicd instead of network manager. But if you decide to try it, make sure network manager is completely uninstalled first because the two might conflict.

Lacks drivers. Usage is pretty much the same as GNU/Linux, since it's unix-like too. Packaging works with ports.

Fun to dick around with or use as server.

OK nevermind apparently I cant access the intetnet even though it says im connected
I changed the nameserver to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 because that apparently solves it but nope

I think ill go to the ubuntu botnet ot back to windows, cya guys

does wicd even have capability for openvpn? I heard it had a bunch of missing stuff.

I need to replace this general, it's one of the worst /gens/ going and nothing interesting is ever shilled in the new breads.

For example, Ledger (and Emacs Ledger), a completely free accounting system with an insane amount of flexibility in reporting. You can abstract the shit out of this program and keep a personal dbms of all your financial transactions for X years, in order to do impressive stats, predictive models, and other probability with the data.

There's also their premiere OS right now Guix, which is a package manager that allows you to install shit without needing root, meaning any user on a work computer or otherwise locked into a directory can install programs. It allows for extreme dependency graphs, down to the dependency of the compiler making the program so binaries can be installed from anybody and verified, not a central repository.

Not to mention emacs org-mode, and how it can be used organize everything at a maximum abstraction including cutting out pieces of a pdf, code, email, anything and making it into yet another abstract list of TODOs. You can also use it for billing for any kind of job you do, 100% free.

Things like this is what makes GNU interesting, there's enough mickey mouse introductions to shitty old 1990s style linux floating around let's talk about the future. This is also something Stallman shills often, he has never given a fuck about pouring resources into user friendly things because he knows killer applications will bring people to you regardless.

Is it okay if every time I want to remove a program I just use apt purge and then apt autoremove?

My laptop was shaving issues playing audio on Fedora 27 and so I decided to uninstall pulse audio because I saw that it was outputting audio through a disconnected HDMI port, restart didn't fix it and there was only an option to change it to a dummy output.

So I did remove pulseaudio and it erased a whole lot of stuff as well as pulse audio. Now when I try launch it this happens. I reinstalled pulseaudio but it was 4MB and 72mb of shit had been erased. What do?

That's why there's antiX

ok what the fuck
When I connect an external monitor through the vga port it disconnects me from the wifi
You faggots told me that linucs just werked but I keep having these weird-ass problems
Fuck you guys, I shouldve stayed with winblows

There are plenty of people in these threads aware of things like that and they get mentioned from time to time (e.g. )
It's just that discussions typically don't last that long because eventually someone who is elitist about that particular thing will show up just to throw a wrench in the gears.

It's just human nature though I guess. For instance, someone may have spent 2 weeks obsessing over the perfect piece of software 3yrs ago and will still defend the shit out of their conclusion today because the idea of it being dethroned, and them having to rethink it all over again, scares them.
Change takes time. But in the meantime if you have any specific comments about new developments you can always leave them and may find other like minded anons

You have angered Poettering by trying to uninstall his software which he's worked so tirelessly to lock you into with a walled garden of dependencies.
Your only hope now is to get on your knees, burn an effigy in Poettering's likeness and pray that he have mercy and allow your machine back into his garden.

I have a confession to make /fglt/:

Ever since I purchase a macbook pro for "ios development" (even though I haven't coded shit since) I've literally stopped using gnu+linux altogether and I don't miss a single day the headbashing just trying to get programs to work, let alone my generic HP printer since it fucks up the prints and there's no supported drivers.

I'm honestly considering dropping ganoo loonix for end-user usage altogether, and just stick to the server tasks like a personal ftp/httpd server or something

has the magic disappeared for anyone else? anyone else choosing ease of use over spending hours trying to get shit to work

See you in 5 years.

When I tried installing a package from git, any package for example, my terminal requests the removable media I used to install Debian to continue. To bypass it, I just cd .. out of hte requested directory, and the install continues. Without it, it won't let me proceed. What am I doing here?

nah man, i'm way too paranoid for that shit.

Try removing the cd from the repositories your package manager uses. No need for it you already got internet.

Okay so i did dnf history and undid what i had done and now, i'm still stuck in the terminal thing. I tried "systemctl set-default graphical.target" but it still wont go back to the gnome desktop.. pls

Why is it that when I close my laptop lid I get disconnected from the wifi? I already set it so closing laptop lid is ignored/doesnt suspend
Im on debian 9 with gnomr

Yes

Luckily the freetards educated me about my freedoms, so I guess I would not fall for stuff disguised as convenient but in reality botnet. That said, once you know your way around GNU+Linux you just feel cucked with other OS. I mean, it's my computer and the programs should do what I want as user and not having the ability to change the shit to my needs comes into the way of my workflow and just holds me back from getting shit done.

luckily my printets just werk©
also I'm a massive autist about muh unneeded programs, so every other OS always pisses me off in the beginning

When installing arch I've seen people use pacstrap /mnt. Is this much different to pacstrap /mnt base?

Mkay imma babyfeed you:
First you want to figure out what package had the file:
pacman -Ql lists all instaled files and what package owns them but we dont care about all of them we only care about libcurl.so.4.4.0 so we pipe the output to grep and search for it:

# pacman -Ql|grep libcurl.so.4.4.0
lib32-libcurl-compat /usr/lib32/libcurl.so.4.4.0
libcurl-compat /usr/lib/libcurl.so.4.4.0

So now we know its in libcurl-compat package and we need to get it.
Go to archlinux.org, in the top right corner theres a search box "Package Search:" enter "libcurl-compat"
Click on the 1 exact match result. In top right corner under "Package Actions" click "Download From Mirror"
Save it to disk, then install it from file:

# pacman -U /home/imalazyfag/Downloads/libcurl-compat-7.57.0-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
loading packages...
warning: libcurl-compat-7.57.0-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (1) libcurl-compat-7.57.0-1

Total Installed Size: 0.51 MiB
Net Upgrade Size: 0.00 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n]
(1/1) checking keys in keyring
(1/1) checking package integrity
(1/1) loading package files
(1/1) checking for file conflicts
(1/1) checking available disk space
warning: could not get file information for usr/lib/libcurl.so.4.4.0
:: Processing package changes...
(1/1) reinstalling libcurl-compat
:: Running post-transaction hooks...
(1/1) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...

Check its there:
# whereis libcurl.so.4.4.0
libcurl.so.4.4: /usr/lib/libcurl.so.4.4.0

Congrats, you now fixed your curl instalation now please go back to ubuntu.

Is your problem just not being able to get to your graphical desktop? Because that screenshot isn't an error or anything bad, it's just a non graphical login. Have you tried logging into it with your username and password?

If you can log in then do:
>cat ~/.xinitrc
If you see no such file or directory then run:
>echo "exec gnome-session" > ~/.xinitrc
and then type "startx". That should get you back into gnome. To get to a graphical login you need a login manager (perhaps you accidentally uninstalled it). Probably "gdm" is the one you were using

How do i make it so it automatically go to gnome desktop? The commands you told me to do worked.

It says gdm is installed but i think i did actually delete it before

You'll just have to get gdm working again. But at least you have a working desktop for now.
If you need further help fixing gdm then I would either ask on the forums for your distro (Ubuntu forums?) or on stackexchange.

Also just so you know, "pavucontrol" is what you use to control pulseaudio. So for your original audio problem you may have been able to just keep pulse and then run pavucontrol to change the audio outputs.

Using "install", is there a way to create a directory and copy multiple files to it from one line?
Right now I am doing:

install -d /path/to/my/dir
install -m644 files/* /path/to/my/dir

I tried various combinations of -d and -D, but nothing worked.

Didn't they work on Hurd support for that?

Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain. (Exodus 20:7)

GNU/Bump

What is the Ccleaner of GNU/Linux? Does it even need something like that?