Is unity a good thing to start progamming with?

Is unity a good thing to start progamming with?
I would like to get into gameDev and im not sure if c# is good language to start with

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_using_SDL
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unity_games
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-17/rate/74978
twitter.com/AnonBabble

C# is a pile of shit, go with C or C++, with SDL or GLFW libs

>SDL
kek. sfml is faster and easier

yes, great tutorial availability and documentations are plentiful.

If you want to do 2d I see people recommend gamemaker a lot. For 3d it's unity or unreal, whatever seems better to you.

don't listen to this faggot.

pick Unreal (C++)
or Unity (C#)

both are good.

don't listen to autists like this guy telling you to pick low level crap, game dev is hard enough as it is, without using some autistic low level sdk

also:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_using_SDL 17 shitty linux Games
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unity_games 100's of games, many that are successful and have made 10's of millions in profit

c# is great. unity can make 3d game development much easier.

sfml is pretty gud
If u cant be fucked with low level shit do go with unreal, but unity is a no no

>to start programming with
Depending on how complicated you want to make your game, you might be better off learning how to program first on some smaller projects, without game dev tooling to get in the way. Unity can teach you some really bad habits. C# is a good language though.

Ignore this.
There's a dev from here who took this route and he's been working on this shitty game since 2014 and it's still a buggy,laggy piece of shit. Meanwhile MANY devs who have used Unity have been successful and moved up the indie dev ladder.

If you want to completely waste your time, then by all means, use SDL or SFML with C++.

Yeah sure go for unity if you wanna be microsoft's bitch, and suck dick every time an update is released

Unity IS C#.
And it's piss easy to learn once you have a basic concept of programming.
If you're working with Unity, learn these: Start, Awake, Update, LateUpdate, OnTriggerEnter, OnTriggerExit, OnGUI - and you'll be able to create a basic game in no time.

What do you have against Unity?

You don't have to update, you realize that right? No dev updates when their game is more than 50% done, because it'd introduce too many unforeseen problems.

Anyway, Here is the SFML game I was talking about.
Play that shit.
4+4ch.net/agdg/res/26682.html#q30225

Play that fucking shit and realize some user spent 4 years on it, and is still actively working on it.

I have been lurking vg/agdg/(amateur game dev general) for a long time, and not a single user has managed to make anything of quality with sdl or sfml yet, so I don't even know where the fuck these anons are coming from suggesting it to a newbie of all things.

What about the Unnamed Pixel Platformer?
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-17/rate/74978
As far as I know he didn't use Unity or Unreal or GameMaker. Says SDL2, SDL2-image and SDL2-mixer on the game page.

> Is unity a good thing to start progamming with?

Absolutely. Especially if it means you stick with it and learn to enjoy coding.

> I would like to get into gameDev and im not sure if c# is good language to start with

Long time gamedev here, Unity is only going to get bigger from here on. Obviously it is entry-tier game dev and doesn't scale into hardcore console developement, but as far as a career goes it's a fantastic first engine.

> C++ > C#, Unreal > Unity, etc...

As you work with Unity and learn C#, make a strong effort to explore how Unity converts your C# code into actually code that runs on the machine and makes your game run. As your ambitions as a game developer grow, you will naturally begin learning c++ and a hardcore engine like Unreal. It is a natural progression and if you prepare for it early you will have an edge.

Could you just start with C++/Unreal? Yeah. Could you start with Unity too. Yep, it's all fine as well! Enjoy your time as a gamedev, I find it to be very rewarding. And don't forget that code and engine are only a piece of what goes into making a good game.

That game is coming along fine. I forgot there's 2 anons on agdg that have promising games in sdl/sfml now. However my point still stands that you're shooting yourself in the foot going to route. Only way I see it making sense is if they're doing it for learning purposes, meaning their focus is not really the game itself.

Unity is proprietry, and does not provide you with source code of the underlying tech. If at any point you will need some functionality the engine does not provide you will be fucked.

This is a good point, and compiling unity from source (if you have a pro license they'll give you access) is a pain.

Unreal does this better, because you can access engine source code with ease and for free, and building from source is nearly trivial.

>and does not provide you with source code of the underlying tech
This hasn't been an issue to any of the thousands of devs using it. The API is expansive enough that you can do damn near anything you want.

The engine devs did a fantastic job with it, including the documentation.

>This hasn't been an issue to any of the thousands of devs using it.

I agree, the engine is mostly stable and relatively bug free, but...

I work on Unity games that used cutting edge features like VR/Timeline/Custom Render Pipe, etc, and the engine is full of small bugs that it would have been easy to fix but instead require me to wait for custom builds or patches. Sometimes the bugs are more basic, like the engine hard-crashing when avatar data was configured wrong, that ended up causing me to almost miss a milestone. It sucks when you are on the hook for a milestone and have to tell your boss "sorry, I know the problem but cant fix it yet, we need to delay ship while we wait for Unity to respond." It's unusual in the gamedev world.

Unity defo has good documentation, and most cunts will be able to find the functonality they require, but at some point in the development you will realize that their api is limited and you cant do shit about it.

no, learn programming first, then use unity as a tool to apply your programming knowledge. otherwise you're going to happily fuck yourself into a corner until one day you hit a wall realize that you can't untangle the shit you've wrote

>ask for advise on Sup Forums
>get send in endless hellhole

i thought it's the standard procedure

If it's interesting to you, the community is decent, and you feel like you can grasp it, by all means use it.

I think trying to jump into game development before you know how to fizzbuzz is stupid. Learn the basics first then leave games for later. Games are one of the most difficult kinds of software to write. Also unity is worse than godot for 2D games.

Godot sucks.

Nah, jump into game development. It gives you a sandbox to try out syntax and code and see results.