Speak out in all your own honesty, why do you actually primarily run a distribution as your daily driver Sup Forums?

Speak out in all your own honesty, why do you actually primarily run a distribution as your daily driver Sup Forums?

Got tired of Windows forced updates and other nuisances. I mostly do programming, and the few games I play like serious sam are available on linux.
The package managers are also a nice feature that I have come to appreciate. I get so pissed off about the constant "there is a new version available! Do you want to download it?"-prompt that most software on Windows has.

Hannah Montana Linux

I don't.

i use windows

I am not a cuck.

Because i like it and it works great for my needs.

Xubuntu.
It just werks.
But I also got win 8.1 in a vm and some more "exotic" distros in vms as well but that's just for fun and testing shit out.

windows 10

basically this
also muh freedoms

Coming to Linux from Windows 7:

My distro runs faster and more smoothly than W7 ever did for me.
Updates are less intrusive when they're available and easier when i do decide to get them.
Drivers are less of a hassle.
Printers & scanning are both easier.
My DE of choice is pretty much better than what W7 has in every way.
Getting software for my distro is faster and easier.

I have two laptops.
One is Ubuntu Mate to watch my chinese cartoons and other is Windows 7 to play my ero games. Perfect combo.
Also I have a Iphone to watch boku no pico.

Why not just use Windows 7 for all of those?

Windows is too slow and I'm too poor for a Mac

hardware is missing firmware.
I'm thinking about upgrading the wifi card so it works under debian.
At the same time, I don't really want to quit using windows 7 as the machine already poorly runs wow vanilla and CS 1.6
also I run some soft to backup hard disk drives deleted files and I don't know how to do the same thing with debian.

I like the customisation. I can tweak the operating system to stay out of my way, unlike Windows.

Hackintosh, user.

I only have a Thinkpad t430, can I hackintosh that?

Windows 7 take more than 8 Gbs after the install. Could save a season of an anime with that. Also, MPV works better with linuxt that windows. But the MAIN point is I'm to lazy to change regeddit to allow name folders or paths.

Shit, probably.

Research your hardware compatibility, Go the vanilla install route and don't use Tonymac tools or stupid modified pajeet distros like Niresh.

In my experience, my hackintosh has been more stable that Antergos ever was.

Because Windows turned to shit after 7 and OS X has been getting progressively shittier and more bloated since about 10.8.

There is nothing on Windows that can compete with Kwin (this alone prevents me from using Windows).
Package managers (integrated into the system).
Perfect font rendering, Windows doesn't even stand a chance on this topic.
OOTB compatibility with all of my devices.
Flat out better for programming, every tool is native to the system and not a shitty port.
Better battery life.
You get to decide when to update your software.
Better and more integrated shells like Zsh and Fish.
In conclusion I can't find a good reason to use Windows.

Windows is only needed if you are a serious gamer or if you cucked yourself by using a program that runs only on one operating system, more specifically the worst one, which is Windows.
Personally, nothing beats the ease of mind of not having to worry about viruses, shady KMSpico/DAZ activators and not having to use pajeetware trash like Ccleaner on a daily basis.
Also all the games I play run native on Linux. So literally no reason to use Windows.

absolutely no reason to use windows

I'm running arch with kde on it right now and it's mostly fine but kde has been fucking up recently and it's kind of annoying (the wifi applet or whatever it's called doesn't work so I have to go into the command line just connect to wifi)

It's simple and lightweight and I enjoy tinkering. Also, keyboard shortcuts are awesome and while Windows 10 does include workspaces, linux does it much better. The only things I'm missing on Linux are Office and games, neither of which I would do on my laptop anyway.

Void linux. Easy to use, minimal distro which upholds the linux philosophy. I like the elitism that comes from a small community. I like to tinker and learn more about linux so it's good for me.

I'd probably waste more time with games if I used Windows. I can only play Civilization 6 and XCOM for so many hours.

Better for programming. Doesn't randomly decide to restart for updates.

It's enough, we get it.

windows10 has two unsolvable bugs on my hardware: wifi randomly doesn't connect after a startup/reboot, and sound randomly doesn't work if headphones are plugged during startup/reboot

minor shit, but im really sick of going through the same chores of disconnecting/reconnecting the hardware in device manager to get those basic things working

also font rendering, cleartype in 2017 is a fucking joke, meanwhile freetype >2.7 beats even osx, imo.

what is the vanilla install route? I have a t430 as well and I used the tonymactools guide. spent like 2 hours on it before giving up and going back to Debian, since I had a lot of trouble getting my discrete graphics to work.

vanilla wow runs nicely through wine. I believe cs 1.6 might run natively on Linux also with it bring source and all. if not I can't imagine it would be too hard to get working through wine.

>Technical
Distraction free dev environment, easy to build/test software (I even wrote my own window manager), package management, intuitive shell environment, scripting friendly, highly configurable, zero micros**t botnet.

Also, MSVSC is a piece of shit, GCC and Clang are __vastly__ superior, while micros**t can't even write a C99 compiler.

Software modules are actually configurable via /usr/lib and other directories.

>Philosophical
Grants user freedom. I hold ownership of the software I use, instead of borrowing them. Linux does everything I require (Devwork (and paying my bills), watching movies, playing music, sending emails etc) --Free of cost.

There is absolutely 0 reason to use spyware ridden, non free(as in freedom AND in beer), DRM OS w**dows, has been this way since 2010.

I must create the perfect system.

Why censor microshit but not shit?

Would you mind pointing me on the right direction in achieving the same hackingtosh? I’ve already tried the one named above and I totally agree with you. Cheers

Why do people use windows as a main OS? It's literally worthless aside from gaymen and some cases where you need specialized software.

How about customizing a spell checker

Use gnome, faggit.

:D

My main driver is an ubuntu machine with just a windows 95 theme that just works.

All my winblows shit emulated, so it fits the theme.

My hobby is gentoo.

I unironically run GuixSD. For a while I tried to be a BSD fag, then I realized I actually liked GNU cause they're not afraid of adding features to their software.

debian because it's stable
win7 for taxes, but the new tax programmes are browser'd, so I guess I'm probably never going to use my win7 partition again
I don't play vidja because I'm not a manchild so it's not a concern