Thoughts on Linux Mint? Is it any better than Ubuntu?

Thoughts on Linux Mint? Is it any better than Ubuntu?

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=254416
debian.org/releases/sid/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Yes, if you prefer the color green over orange.

fucking /thread

same thing really ,

A thread died for this.

>Linux Mint
>The awful logo

It's shit. No.

OpenSUSE is better.

First of all, unlike basically all other distros, they don't issue Security Advisories, so their users cannot quickly lookup whether they are affected by a certain CVE.
Secondly, they are mixing their own binary packages with the binary packages from both Debian and Ubuntu without even rebuilding the latter - let alone performing QA. This creates something the Debian community calls a "FrankenDebian" which results in system updates being unpredicatable. Because of this, the Mint developers simply descided to blacklist many packages from updates by default, and putting their users at risk due to them not receiving potentially critical security updates.
Thirdly, while they import packages from Ubuntu and Debian, they hijack package and file names be re-using existing names. For example, they called their fork of gdm2 "mdm" which they say stands for "Mint Display Manager". Issue is, there is already a package called "mdm" in Debian which is "Utilities for single-host parallel shell scripting" or something. Regardless because of this the original "mdm" package is impossible to install.
Another example of such a "hi-jack" are their "X apps" which are their forked desktops apps. For example, their editor (which was forked from MATE's 'pluma') which they called "xedit", ignoring the fact that there is already an "xedit" making the old "xedit" unusable because of this name hi-jacking.
Add to this that they don't give to rats ass about copyright infringment, with their pre-installed Oracle Java and Flash and various patended and copyrighted codecs which are not allowed to be freely distributed in western countries, theirfore putting their users at legal risk.
To conclude, I do not think that the Mint developers deliver professional work. Their distro is nothing more then a crude hacky stuffing together of existing Debian-based distros. They make fundemental shitty descisions and mistakes that put their users at risk, both in terms of their computer, and legally.

>Is it any better than Ubuntu
It is Ubuntu...

It's good for a first distro but i prefer Ubuntu MATE and Xubuntu over it.

If you're comparing it with Ubuntu 17.10 (using default Gnome 3.x) then yes...there are now a whole lot of distros objectively better than Ubuntu...

It's basically ubuntu, except:
> they don't give to rats ass about copyright infringment, with their pre-installed Oracle Java and Flash and various patended and copyrighted codecs which are not allowed to be freely distributed in western countries, theirfore putting their users at legal risk.
To conclude, I do not think that the Mint developers deliver professional work. Their distro is nothing more then a crude hacky stuffing together of existing Debian-based distros. They make fundemental shitty descisions and mistakes that put their users at risk, both in terms of their computer, and legally.
Ubuntu is an idiot-proof version of Debian. Mint is a shitty half-baked mishmash of Ubuntu and Debian made by people who have no idea what they're doing.

It doesn't require you to purge Gnome and install a decent DE.

I tried it for a little while. I'm a Windows guy, but I was impressed with the screenshots and videos that I'd seen floating around the web. What I was hoping for was an OS that I didn't need to mess around customizing, one that had everything setup out the box.

First of all, I had to use Firefox and the sghitty Yahoo search engine because the retards wouldn't have Google as the default because Google wouldn't give them money for it.

Then, Vivaldi (web browser) didn't work. I had to manually install some shit that I didn't understand by copy-pasting commands I found in a forum thread for the problem into the terminal.

Then I found out that the scrolling widget that appears on webpages when you middle-click in Windows doesn't work in Linux.

I tried to change the theme, which reswulted in weird dottedd lines appearing around interface elements.

The taskbar doesn't group windows for a given program under the program icon, it wastes space by using the ancient Windows XP method of having the name in a rectangle, wasting space.

Libre Office looks like shit and the UI is a clusterfuck.

GIMP IS THE WORST DESIGNED PROGRAM IN THE WORLD AND THE FAGGOTS THAT DESIGNED THIS SHIT SHOULD FUCKING HANG THEMSELVES.

I couldn't get it to install updates for the latest version of Mint and had to download the latest ISO and re-install the entire thing.

I know that I could "fix" a lot of these things by fucking around in the terminal, downloading and ricing shit, but I want an OS that doesn't require me to fix it up.

Linux isn't an alternative to Windows or MacOS, it's solely for autists that like Linux and wasting hundreds of hours fixing their Distros' broken bullshit.

I use Windows 10 LTSE and I'm happy.

The security failures of Mint got me to switch off of it. Ubuntu + whatever DE Mint has (Ubuntu + Cinnamon, Ubuntu + Mate...) will be very similar and more secure.

>better than Ubuntu?
All distros beat ubuntu

Linux is a kernel.

It's Ubuntu as reimagined by neckbeard autists who think trash like flash should be installed by default. Added bonus: slower response to patches, low assurance build and distribution process.

Cancer both of them

Ubuntu Mate really is much better than mint mate

>original distro do not steal

Pretty much an aspie mishmash of plagiarized software.

In 2007 I found Sup Forums and immediately started mac shilling on Sup Forums.

I unironically believed that having a Macbook made you a sophisticated, cultured person and could not understand how people would want to use Windows when OS X existed.

Fast forward 10 years and I still have the exact same Macbook. Although Snow Leopard still runs on it, it's impossible to use because chrome, firefox, etc have stopped updating versions compatible with Snow Leopard, it's also impossible to upgrade past Snow Leopard because anything newer makes the computer so slow it's unusable. (or in the case of Mountain Lion Apple just straight up doesn't allow the OS to be installed on your computer)

The optical drive on this Macbook is also broken so it makes installing Windows near impossible (because you have to do this through the "boot camp" utility and in snow leopard they only let you do it through the optical drive) so left with no other choices I decided to install Ubuntu.

I've been using Ubuntu for about a year now and I'm pretty happy with it. It does everything that I need my computer to do and worked out of the box.

When I think back to all of the money I wasted buying a shiny white toy I am disgusted with myself. Ubuntu is suitable for 99.9% of home PC users.

Other than MUH GAYMIN there is literally no reason whatsoever to use Windows or Mac OS.

Plenty of gaymen on Linux now.

I installed Mint earlier today and scrolling caused tearing so bad I thought I had gone back in time to 1997.

Then I installed Ubuntu, and the tearing went away, but my sound card didn't' work.

I said fuck it and went back to Windows.

You probably had multiple sound sinks, very easy to switch between them in the sound preferences.

This one comment discarded his whole post but his whole post was a shitty bait anywho.

I did that, but when I found the right one, it sounded terrible. It sounded like it was at half speed.

This is pretty much my experience with Linux in a nutshell.

Can already this outdated mene die?
forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=254416

I like mint

Butthurt winfag detected, stick with winblowz you autistic beta.

Yeah, the driver compatibility seem to have really regressed in lintardland

It's not like I'm using oddball hardware or anything. My computer is almost 5 years old.

linux mint is perfect for raspberry pi all models.
works okay with x201i but obvious sound issues , wireless and expresscard fail

It's literally ubento with a different DE. The version based on debian unstable was phased out.

sounds like who ever wants to make it stable has alot of work to do.

the problem with ubuntu is the desktop environment it comes with and not necessarily ubuntu itself
linux mint has a superior desktop environment

>No panties
BLUE BOARD BLUEEEEE BOARDDDDDD

how do u know

when you delete something in Linux is it still there?

>not just installing the MATE variant or some other DE

Sounds like you have no clue about how debian works.

Mint is just a pre-customized ubuntu, and not much else. I use it, but only because I'm too lazy to be assed with customizing Ubuntu.

>Sounds like you have no clue about how debian works.
is this your hurr durr fix it your self carry on the lame-o nerds always say when their shit is broken?

LOL
t.windows / dos / basic user.
this is a classic freetard reponse and yet not one DE is unbroken or a shit for brains mess.
I see you have to spend hours fixing it.

what a loser.

I'm using it right now. It's my first distro, and I think it accomplished it's stated purpose: it had provided an easy transition from Windows. It is designed to reduce the learning curve as much as possible and I think it does.

>is this your hurr durr fix it your self carry on the lame-o nerds always say when their shit is broken?
You also seem to have some sort of dissociative disorder. Jesus fucking christ, what a reply.
debian.org/releases/sid/
Kill yourself, retard.

my ps/2 keyboard wont work in mint, but it works in windows and in BIOS.

This meme stopped being funny as soon as it became "the virgin stuff I don't like vs Chad stuff I do like"

GuixSD>Gentoo>Arch>(debatable)Debian>LMDE>Mint>Ubuntu

>GuixSD>Gentoo>Arch>(debatable)Debian>LMDE>Mint>Ubuntu

GuixSD>Gentoo>Arch>(debatable)Debian>Manjaro>LMDE>Mint>Ubuntu

Linux mint is a pretty good distro. Actually mint is the best as distro for stuff it was meant to, and linux mint dev team improves linux mint even further.

Target of linux mint is to be a easy to use and comfortable desktop OS, and it fulfills its role perfectly. It has stuff what people except and want from easy to use desktop OS, and linux mint just wants to be perfect at that.

Linux mint is NOT:
-Server distro
-Ricing distro
-Set up from scratch distro.
-Software testing distro.

Linux mint has simple task and its development is focused on that.

I only ever experience tearing in Firefox, which I worked around by force-enabling hardware acceleration (I have a shitty GPU, Sandy Bridge Intel HD to be exact)

The latest version doesn't have text scaling for high resolutions. It is really sad that so many DE are made by neets who have 1366×768 craptops
Last time I had mint, I just changed the logo to Ubuntu's.

Couldn't agree more.

Just install Ubongo and slap Cinnamon on top.

>Plagiarized
>FOSS
the fuck? What is "derivative works in FOSS". Even if its just the name.

And Cinnamon is better than Mate

>ps/2 keyboard

Jesus fuck why, is it a family heirloom or something?

The two reasons I installed Mint as my first distro for actual daily use:
1. I thought I was too cool to use Ubuntu
2. I didn't think I was cool enough to install a DE other than Unity in a way that wouldn't be broken and annoying.
After a while I figured I may as well use a Ubuntu flavor, and since then I've wondered what the point of Mint ever was.

>autistic beta
>says the Linux user
the irony

Why?
If you want "Ubuntu with cinnamon" its better to install linux mint anyway because mint and cinnamon are made by same dev team so linux mint has best cinnamon experience.

ps/2 keyboards are still made because they have way less latency than USB keyboards.

This is actually pretty much my experience I had a week ago.

Except I tried to install some other stuff like Spotify, Netflix and OneDrive, but all I found was shitty homebrew software which required me to paste some shit into the terminal but didn't fix anything.

Please never use this cancer distro

>The security failures of Mint
You mean that one time somebody compromised their webpage.

mint shits on ubunto

and it just so happens that every desktop os sharing that kernel is a DOA unusable POS

And that tine (that still is) where the security update settings default to garbage

So, like pirated windows - works out of the box. I sure was happy to find, that when I installed ubuntu on PC without internet - I could not open most media files.

It acts as a sort of landing strip for former windows users switching to linux.