wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:Main_Page
gentoo.org/downloads/

>Debian (NET ISO)
debian.org/CD/netinst/

>Void (Hipster but works)
repo.voidlinux.eu/live/current/

>Alpine (Pretty damn minimal)
alpinelinux.org/downloads/

Get recommendations to see if your system is bloat or not.

>DE/WM
>Video/Music player
>Image viewer
>File Manager
>Text Editor
>Shell
>Web Browser
>Terminal

What is software minimalism?
suckless.org/philosophy
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimalism_(computing)

Beginners guide to GNU/Linux minimalism

1) Get comfortable with the terminal and learn terminal commands. Practice makes perfect.

computerhope.com/unix.htm
computerhope.com/unix/overview.htm
computerhope.com/unixtop1.htm

2) Try one of the listed GNU/Linux distros inside a VM (Virtual Machine) before installing it on real hardware

3) Ask questions in the thread.

If you use Arch, Manjaro, Ubuntu, Mint , Antergos, Solus, Fedora or any other of the thousands of BLOAT GNU/Linux meme distros. Don't bother posting in this thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_Hierarchy_Standard
specifications.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-latest.html
suckless.org
paludis.exherbo.org/)
github.com/FSMaxB/lfs-me
build.alpinelinux.org/buildlogs/build-edge-x86/main/musl/musl-1.1.18-r3.log
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Reposting WM ram comparison

it's funny seeing other people create the thread for me

Why is Arch bloat?

Reposting arch explanation:

Arch has never been a minimalist distribution. Splitting packages is rare compared to other distributions, and dependencies aren't made optional whenever possible. Arch has *never* been minimalist... a Linux kernel with every module available and every feature enabled at least when there's no non-bloat related cost, feature-packed/complex GNU tools, nearly all optional features enabled across all the packages, etc.

>pacman is fast but not safe, it tends to break shit and config protection is implemented in a terrible way
>there is no official process to verify that a package is stable within the distro, in other distros a lot of packages are in a testing repo despite that specific package's developer claiming it to be stable on its own, because it might not be stable within the environment of a specific distro
>a lot of AUR packages pull from upstream, which means they could be very unstable
>(arch vs gentoo related) arch users complain about muh compile time when it comes to gentoo, while in fact they compile a lot of AUR packages themselves, namely the *-git packages that pull the source from a git repo
>but it gets even better: they only compile a handful of packages, and those not being libraries mostly, the self-compiled packages get linked against precompiled libraries from a different setup (e.g. different optimization levels), which can then cause even more instability because it's a clusterfuck of unequal shit
>arch uses (((systemd))) and switching to something else is hard
>apparently the vim package on arch pulls in X, so if you want to have a fancy terminal text editor on a headless server, you to install a shit ton of GUI stuff you'll never need nor use
>maintainer told the guy who complained to just symlink vi to vim (vi is inferior)

Would a minimalist distro help me finally understand what the fucking is going on in Linux and why are there 4 thousand different places a config file can be?

Okay.

>Would a minimalist distro help me finally understand what the fucking is going on in Linux
Yes
>and why are there 4 thousand different places a config file can be?
No

User config files 'should' be under ~/.config - these are the ones you would want to edit in a single-user environment. If they aren't there, they are usually in the root of your home directory.
System-wide config files are located under /etc/.
Take a look at en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_Hierarchy_Standard
specifications.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-latest.html

I'm considering linux right the fuck now in this exact second and i've already downloaded rufus and formatting my flash drive now

i need a distro that is minimalistic as possible, not hellish to setup and absolutely on systemd

Ratpoison is GOAT tier though, cant say the same about the others.

>Gentoo
Bloat
>Debian
Bloat
>Void
Bloat
>Alpine
Bloat

WTF m8...
fucking add suckless.org to your favorites and wa la
no need to make this shitty general
fucking hell...

I gave FrankenWM a go. Its pretty comfy.

Debian

>kernel
linux with ck patches
>graphical shell
x11 running StumpWM
>media files
Firefox
>file manager
cli
>text editor
echo and cat
>shell
execline
>downloads
aria2

Guide me on how to have the same bindings that ratpoison and I'll jump.

>openbox
>8.3M
hmm...

Deb has systemdick

what's the dildo on your laptop

>StumpWM is a tiling window manager that was created when developer Shawn Betts found ratpoison growing increasingly large and "lispy". Intended as a successor to ratpoison, StumpWM is released under the terms of the GNU General Public License, version 2

replica of your mum's pencil dick, lamo

is that a light and a spoke wrench?

You have to understand, stumpwm was designed to extend ratpoison beyond what it is and is based on lisp not C. Ratpoison is extremely extremely lightweight on its own and is considered finished anyway, no need to extend it beyond that unless you have an specific reason.

x86 is not /minimal/

yes
ok but lisp is an appropriate language to write a wm in imo. it has fewer loc than ratpoison.

My guess is stumpwm would fit better in a lisp system like the guixsd distro. Imagine if someone created a lisp based display server, a true lisp machine that would be.

actually a Nipple wrench. For twisting nipples.

well you said you wanted something on systemd.

in any case you can remove it. You install a sysv init package, copy some files, apt remove (or purge) systemd, and reboot. there's instructions on Debian's wiki.

>Debian netinst
>bspwm
>mpv & mpd + ncmpcpp
>feh
>ranger or cli
>vim
>zsh
>palememe
>urxvt

rate me up fampai

hmm. maybe it could be translated into guile. I want to try paludis (paludis.exherbo.org/) because of a talk I heard the exherbo guys give.

fuck that was a typo

>maybe it could be translated into guile
>want to try paludis
I like how you think.

debian was broken last time i tried
dunno
dunno
dunno
cli ftw
dunno
not minimalist, just use sh if you gotta be noob
what's wrong with Firefox?
I'm xvt? rude.

I'm getting an unsatisfiable constraint on Alpine trying to install awesome. Just says awesome is required for world[aweome]. Any help? I'm new to this.

oscillating between slowly; with consideration and not at all
honestly paludis could be rescued as well. C++... honestly?

Alpine is trash dont use it

it means it's not in the repository
try another wm

Read the O’Reilly “Running Linux” and run slackware while you do it. I’m doing it, and holy shit everything makes sense now

>>Void (Hipster but works)
“Hipster” is a term co-opted for use as a meaningless pejorative in order to vaguely call someone else’s authenticity into question and, by extension, claim authenticity for yourself. etc etc

Arch Linux with the installation guide.
Not even joking.

>using Alpine as a desktop OS

>implying I know what the fuck I'm doing

I'm just trying to learn about how Linux works and shit in a virtual desktop setting. Would Arch be better? Fuck I dunno shit.

>OS
Void Linux
>DE/WM
i3 + polybar + compton (yeah it's bloated but it looks good at least)
>Video/Music player
MPV for video
MPD + ncmpcpp for nusic
>Image viewer
feh
>File Manager
ranger
>Text Editor
Vim for quick edits and Spacemacs for large edits (large python files and LaTeX) and for Org-mode.
>Shell
literally don't care but I use Bash (default)
>Web Browser
Waterfox (literally the most bloated software on my computer but it looks good, it's fast and I have no problems of compatibility compared to qutebrowser.
>Terminal
urxvt

Try devuan, avoid arch for now

>learning
Install Ubuntu or Mint or something, and install Arch in a virtual machine so you can learn.
Once you have Arch going well in the VM, install Gentoo in another, or the same, so you get a better idea.
Or, instead of Gentoo, try Linux From Scratch, it's how I learned a great deal of how Linux works.
You should do Gentoo and LFS in a VM IMO.

hello autism general

what is not bloat then

Chalk and blackboard

void+lxde

>cat | grep

what's better

These distro recommendations are useless. Every distro can be minimal.

>zsh
Bloat

>OS
LFS
>DE/WM
dwm/openbox
>Video/Music player
mpv
>Image viewer
feh
>File Manager
mc/pcmanfm
>Text Editor
nano/notepadqq
>Shell
bash
>Web Browser
chromium/firefox
>Terminal
st/gnome-terminal

>grep PATTERN [FILE...]
just tell grep what file to open.. input isn't limited to stdin
>grep VmRSS /proc/$(pidof openbox)/status

Is it a bad sign that the ones im interested in trying aren't on here?
>bspwm
>xmonad
>spectrwm

But some are easier to get to a minimal state than others.

>OS
Void Linux
>DE/WM
No DE / Awesome WM
>Video/Music player
VLC / mpd+ncmpcpp
>Image viewer
w3m
>File Manager
ranger
>Text Editor
vim
>Shell
zsh
>Web Browser
firefox (used to be qutebrowser, but meh)
>Terminal
urxvt

>I'm considering linux right the fuck now in this exact second .

Try ubuntu. Then go for debian (net iso)
It's all about getting comfortable with the terminal.

What a great way to show people what you exactly do with your computer.

I've been using bspwm for a very long time after testing all the popular ones and most of the more obscure ones, it's the best tiling wm in my opinion.
In terms of memory usage it's probably less than 1M but you also have to use a separate daemon for hotkeys.

Dwm is god tier, cunt

Luke Smith?

I feel like gentoo is basically only a server OS. To use it for a desktop seems really painful. It takes ages to install, especially on an older system, plus you need to learn how to manage use flags.

You don't understand. I NEED this general. It's the only thing keeping me from loading my pistol and finally offing myself. It keeps me sane. It keeps me happy. It keeps me comfy.

Yeah i guess so. Debian is great fo both servers and desktops. Really is universal

original op here. Glad you like it.

What's your go-to distro nowadays?

LFS

Haha, really though, thanks. This thread has made the pursuit of minimalism one of my hobbies. And it's starting to creep outside of my operating system and into my hardware and lifestyle. I've started trying to simplify everything in the world around me and carry as light a load as possible. Also, what's your setup, OP?

No no no no

It should be ubuntu or some bloat meme distro first(manjaro, mint etc)

Then once you get the hang of GNU/Linux, you go right away to debian.

If you truly feel advanced and autistic, you try to install gentoo. Or lfs

Made this gay chart from my first ever threads.

>OS
debian (net iso)
>DE/WM
dwm
>Video/Music player
cmus
>Image viewer
feh.
>File Manager
terminal.
>Text Editor
nano
>Shell
mksh
>Web Browser
Firefox
>Terminal
urxvt

Forgot pic fuck lol

>>Video/Music player
cmus
And mpv

He uses bash IIRC

> I've started trying to simplify everything in the world around me and carry as light a load as possible.

Original op here. i had this mentality for ever. I'll give you some tips

Throw out your bed, sleep on the floor
Throw away all big furniture.
You literally need only one piece of tech and thats your laptop. No tv, no tablets etc etc
Throw away your smartphone, buy a flipphone.
etc etc, you get the idea

Oh and if you really want game. Buy a ps4 and a small tv

You forgot to add rope around throat to restrict breathing.

>Alpine (Pretty damn minimal)
Definitely minimal. However, this is not GNU/Linux. Please tell me you aren't unrionically falling for the GNU slash linocks meme. Not every distro uses GNU. Alpine is a good example of this.

what's the max number of packages I can have and be considered minimal
370 on a new install right now

they still use some GNU tools at least in the build process.

[citation needed]

how do you manage packages?

>GCC
>GRUB
I'm not going to browse their git to check buildscripts for each package but it's pretty obvious gnu tools are used.

>github.com/FSMaxB/lfs-me
I compile packages on my desktop and use them on my laptop

Under 999.

>muh minimal package count
Package count is one of the worst measures of “““bloat””” and one of the most easily subvertible

> install one huge, bloated piece of software
> use alternative made out of a few small bits of software
The second is more UNIX style and much more minimal but it's more “““bloated”””

> install everything from source
wew, just found a way to cheat this dumb “““bloat””” measure

It's really boring if I show only Spacemacs for LaTeX and a PDF preview of my work.

isn't that time very time consuming

not so much as it uses build scripts, I have a git repo with all the scripts. I check the LFS dev book to keep up with updates, and mostly it's just a simple version bump in the script and a recompile. I can also compile on the laptop but it's shit for bloated stuff (qt, webkitgtk, browser)

>GCC
Just because you can install GCC that does not make it a GNU/Linux distro. It does not come with GCC installed. You can also install Clang if you wanted. That doesn't make it an LLVM/Linux distro. They don't use GLIBC by default either, in case you are planning to make that claim.

>GRUB
GRUB is a bootloader. The bootloader is not part of the operating system. You can use GRUB to launch Windows if you wanted to. That doesn't make it GNU/Windows. Furthermore, Alpine Linux does not use GRUB. It uses extlinux.

>Alpine Linux does not use GRUB. It uses extlinux.
Where did you get this info? Do you think alpine can be used as a desktop? like for example alpine+dwm?

>build.alpinelinux.org/buildlogs/build-edge-x86/main/musl/musl-1.1.18-r3.log
musl is the base of the system, they use GNU gcc, GNU make, GNU patch and that's just for the bare bone system. also I'm sure they don't maintain patches to compile the kernel with clang

>Where did you get this info?
I just installed it. It is 100% for sure using extlinux and not GRUB.

>Do you think alpine can be used as a desktop?
Sure. Pic related.

user do a screenfetch pleaseeeee

Give me a little bit. I'm still configuring basic things. Then I'll download screenfetch or some equivalent tool.

>linux, especially with systemd
>minimalism
what a useless thread

openbsd, plan9 faggots outttttttttttt

the only adivce a Sup Forumsent needs.

~apt install mc
#(midnight commander)