Family fell for the 4k meme and bought a 4k tv

>family fell for the 4k meme and bought a 4k tv
>picture looks like shit
>standing 5ft away pixels are very visible and picture is very muddled
>doesn't get any better from farther
>explain to family that since most channels are still broadcast in 1080p the tv has to upscale to fit the screen and therefore it looks like shit
>they accuse me of being argumentative

How do I explain this to them? Or is there some way to fix the shit picture I don't know about?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LhF_56SxrGk
youtube.com/watch?v=gF_qQYrCcns
youtu.be/MjJzibFTaqA?t=356
rogers.com/consumer/tv/4k
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

retards gonna retard user. they'll realize sooner or later

even normal content gets upscaled and ends up looking better.

get better glasses you fucking nerd, then stop being poor and buying garbage panels, and then finally you can move out of your parents place

>he thinks any tv channel is broadcast in 1080p

You realise that most channels are in like 576p and then upscaled to 1080i/p? Anyway, built-in upscalers should make the image look pretty good. Of course, if the only thing you watch is television buying a 4k tv set is pointless really.

Just set them up with Netflix or some streaming service that offers 4K and explain to them that because they bought an expensive TV, they must now have expensive and limited entertainment but its worth it because something something jews

A 1080p TV of the same size would look just as shitty you retarded fucker. Your normie family is more tech literate than you.

This is why 4K is a waste of money; shit ain't there in bulk that uses it. TV/Cable providers ain't gonna be spending millions changing out there equipment or providing consumers the boxes needed to render 4k cause to them there's no point/profit in it. They spend millions, they pass it to the consumer, consumer's say "fuck you" and leave thus they loose money.

>A 1080p TV of the same size would look just as shitty
Wasn't that his point?

>WATCHING TELEVISION
I LAUGH

What the fuck is the point of this thread then?

>tries to "debate" his family over a fucking television set
>wonders why they think he's argumentative
you've spent too much time here, lad.

I dunno. OP wanted to make a thread, I guess.

of course it will look like shit when you try to upscale 480p shit to 4k. no algorithm can do that especially with the super low bitrate that tv channels use.

I sit 13ft away from my 65" HDTV. Very nice detailed picture even on upscale content (the source encoding has a lot to do with it to). I've watched 352x240 up to 1080p stuff on it and it renders it all flawlessly. Granted if I sat so close that my nose was hitting the screen I'm sure that low res stuff would look like shit, but I don't so.. Some shows, your stuck with whatever resolution the files are. There is no other source available (DVD/Bluray)

Had you not been autistic you would have been able to read the excitement your family was displaying about their new purchase. You should have just shut up and pretended. Don't be a party pooper for your loved ones.

nah, would probably look decently better because the image of the channels is mastered for 1080p

>pointing out that the picture looks like shit
>argumentative

Didn’t know you posted here Dad

Boomer parents bought a 4k tv. Stream 480p on it. Jesus

Embest u can do is leave them be. Especislly if ur dad is like mine and he thinks u wilk fuck everything up

They don't care and don't want you to try and "convince" them to buy a different tv.

Appropriate statement:
>I don't think this TV looks any better than the last one we had but it's your money and your purchase.

Stupid statement:
>Let me tell you why your TV looks like shit, senpai. No, no, let me finish explaining WHY it looks like shit.

I'm never going past 65" on a tv. Cause my living room the way it's layout is 65" is perfect. Another thing is that it displays 4:3 content full screen yet the resulting picture ain't all distorted. I'd also be afraid that some of my movies/shows would look like shit on anything bigger. I don't know about anyone else but I don't got the time to re-rip a shit load of DVDs or in some cases whatever the source res of the file is is all that exists of it.

>““upscaling””
This is just a meme, right? How can you magically make a picture better without more data? This is some CSI shit here.

>how can you magically make a place appear to be in your room without it actually being there?
science and math, abraham

you cant really. the low quality becomes visible when something too complex for the algorithms happens. like something with lots of detail that moves quickly and often you see weird colors when the sky is filmed.

>family members stretch or zoom 4:3 content to 16:9

You can't. We do have algorithms for upscaling but those won't magically make something out of nothing.

>implying the world is some UKcuck hellhole.
No.

Why do you care? If they're blissfully ignorant, why break their illusion?
It's not like you're watching it anyway, right?

>he doesn't know about waifu2x

Wouldn't 1080p content, at worst, look exactly the same as on 4K TV as on a 1080p TV, since upscaling could be done by letting each pixel of the source material occupy 2x2 pixels on the display?
(reddit space)
Of course there might be a bit of chickenwire effect from the seperation between the four pixels but I doubt it would be noticeable at normal viewing distance

The image that I posted was made by waifu2x.

Use better settings then

Turns out that auto denoise is a shit setting for images that are this small.

OP you just need to buy an Enhancr(TM) set top box to fix the image.
Also
youtube.com/watch?v=LhF_56SxrGk

youtube.com/watch?v=gF_qQYrCcns

>mom buys $2,800 75" 4K smart TV for grandma for Christmas
>grandma watches literally nothing on it but basic cable (480i, not even 1080i) and VHS tapes (she says DVDs are too confusing)

4K is 4Kucks

youtu.be/MjJzibFTaqA?t=356

>4Kucks
noice, gonna start using it to bait in 4k threads

>2018
>imblying anyone gets baited by the kuk meme
>implying it's not something to take pride in

you just replied so it clearly still works

That's bullshot, my 4k tv looks amazing

but I'm a proud cuck, user, it fills me with joy to be called out on it

glad im smart

>Netflix
>expensive
Lol what? I convinced my mom to go tv antenna+Netflix and she pays $13/ month and always has something to watch. She’s saving a ton over the shitty DirectTV package she used to have.

/thread

>2018
>watching tv on your tv
You can just hook your pc up to the tv via hdmi and play vidya at 4k, thats all those tvs are good fir nowadays, or you can play your 720p switch, wonder how shit that would look

this should be the norm in 2017 but i guess some people are truly still hooked on that cable trash

say what you want about netflix quality across the board, but it's MUCH better than cable

Nothing I got outputs 4K. My cable provider sure won't be making the switch to 4K content anytime soon and even if they did I'm sure that they'd charge me a nice fat fee to upgrade my programming and cable box. No thanks, my 1080p set looks good now and my cable bill is high enough as is.

its mostly old people. only acceptable use for cable is watching the news and even that can be done with a computer.

I'm 34 and I got cable, guess that means I'm old now? Wait sec, two more years and I'll be old enough to have fathered an 18 yr old. Damnit I am getting old.

We've had 1080p for all the channels people actually give a shit about for years.

everyone has it because its free and internet comes from it but it does not mean that you have to actually watch the shit that comes from it.

My dad finally got an HD TV last year (720p). On the remote control there is a button that goes from the SD version of the cable channel to HD. He refuses to use it. So he'll watch the standard definition stuff when it looks significantly better on the other channel.

So then why imply that 'most HD is upscaled 576p'

1080p TVs are all shit because they are all cheap bargaij bin Walmart pieces of shit with awful contrast, uniformity, and color reproduction.

Pretty much this, if you already have a good 1080p TV, there isn't a whole lot of reason to upgrade to 4K right now.

If you need a new TV though, buying 4K is pretty much your only option unless you want a bargain basement piece of shit.

I got a 4k tv at costco this week, looks great, OP a fag

If the tv was 1080p it'd look exactly the same you fucking moron. There is no reason to buy a 1080p tv in 2017 and you probably won't even be able to find one.

OP is a retarded, 1080p perfectly scales to 4k because it's exactly half the resolution, the pixels double and shit looks the same.

Just because they bought a cheap poorly calibrated TV that's possibly 30hz doesn't make 4k retarded.

This is the future unironically, the end game of the normalization of cuckoldry is being proud of it and being smug about it, demeaning non-cucks, like it happened with homosexuality.

The jew won.

I was at my mom's place for Christmas and was again amazed by how bad the TV broadcast quality is here (I haven't had a TV in ages). YouTube has far better quality.

>Thinks 4k TVs are a meme
>Actually watches live television
>Watches horribly compressed sub-4k content
You are the retard here, user.

Don't? If they resize, they realize. My 4k TV upscales fine, so even 480p looks good enough. Not HD or HDR, but at least as good as when it was on a normal set.

Working at one of the broadcaster support, i got lot of call with similar problem.
>Then why the fuck are we selling 4K TV? He was very angry because he bhought it on loan
Not like i could have done anything. Almost suggested him to buy a ps4 pro or connect it to pc and play 4k stuff on it.
>what if old people buy it?
Yeah dude. Old people are happy to get even get and hd ready tv on black friday if they need one.

>>explain to family that since most channels are still broadcast in 1080p
You mean 1080i.

From a proper distance 1080p won't look any worst on 4k than on a 1080p TV, you're right.

Even close up it won't look terrible, so long as it isn't bitrate starved. You would get more detail out of a 4k image but that doesn't mean the 1080p will look bad.

>upscaled looks better
Let me guess, a console warrior from Sup Forums

you can't create more information then there is. I guess that upscaling is squares one existing pixel and matches the colours according to the surrounding ones. However an actual 4k video will always look better. It's similar to the 'more fps'-effect.

That wasn't me.

Wow it's crystal clear now :O

You can't teach retards

>>they accuse me of being argumentative

maybe because you ARE being argumentative you anal retentive cunt? their money, not yours. mind your own fucking business you basement dwelling useless leach

Are you guys kidding? Sony released a 4k SMARTPHONE in 2015, shit we should have 16k panels on our TVs by now.

>caring what normies watch
cec

>bought 4K 55" LG
>1080p looks amazing
>Mad Max 4K looked amazing

they're dumb the content ha to be native 4k

dis desu
most people are buying really shitty chink 4k tvs, no wonder it looks like shit
samsung and LG are the only ones who actually have solid upscaling techniques for 1080p content

>most channels are still broadcast in 1080p

Who the fuck still watches TV?

All you did was remove information you double nigger

You can't fix stupid. Just leave them alone to roll around in their own shit and anger. They did it to themselves and it's not your problem.

>inb4 you want to watch TV
There hasn't been anything good on TV for almost two decades. Go outside or check out some different Sup Forums boards.

I'd swear that old movies from the TCM channel with lots of noise look better upscaled to 4K, but it could be placebo.

OP, count yourself lucky. When I "argue" with my older parents over a TV display, it's when they have accidentally hit the aspect ratio button on the remote but they say it "looks fine."

Also, less Moire effect on very tight patterns on cloths, etc.

bruv, tell them to only stream 4k and definitely cut that cord. How long is it going to take for cable tv to actually stream in 4k? Probably years.

this image looks even better, just need to blow it up 4k and it'll be perfect

you can't even tell the difference

There already are 4k cable broadcasts.

And op, who the fuck sits 5 feet away from a 50"~ screen? Obviously its going to look like shit.

Name 1.

rogers
rogers.com/consumer/tv/4k

4K Blu-ray physical media is really expensive. Netflix subscription is expensive and need a powerful internet connection. The average Sup Forums download 4K content of some private tracker but are exceptions.
This is why people buy 4K devices when 4K content is zero.

Rogers isnt in the US.

Also:
> Sign up to be the first to know when it's available in stores.

Did you even read your own god damn shit?

>netflix
>expensive

holy fuck lol its like $12/month

well i dont know your cable companies. If its available here in Canada its most certainly available in the US. And that's for their PVR you fucking retard. Or do you even read shit before making false, contrarian statements?

>Sportsnet One 4K and Sportsnet 4K (channels 997 and 998), take you closer to the action than ever before.

And need you credit card; people stay in Cable/DirectTV because they pay Cable/DirectTV with cash, except if you use that Netflix cards of some retail stores

Ok, let me assume that there exists PVRs (whatever the fuck that is because I dont use cable; I cut the cord along time ago) that you can use with their network like you can use your own modem.

You just cited two shit sports channels.

I just looked at Comcrap and:

> 4K UHD viewing, is currently available to XFINITY X1 customers who subscribe to the Netflix Premium plan and have an XG1v4 TV box, with a compatible 4K TV.

It's all through Netflix, are you even sure it's broadcasted because its probably not.

why are these retarded threads kept alive, while more interesting stuff (like and ) dies quickly?

this shitty board is fucked.

Agreed. OP is a fag autist

>moving the goalposts

A pvr is basically just an external HDD/capture card where you can save content locally. I imagine the issue was the older ones they'd offer didnt have enough storage space to store any worthwhile amount of 4k content.

Also, you just said one, just because there aren't lots of cable broadcasts offered doesn't mean there aren't any. Sure it may start with sports and ppv, but those have been pushing content quality for decades. "shit sports channels" are probably the reason tv and broadcast media in general got popular.

The second thread isn't readable from the catalog to me, so fuck that noise.

The first is an inquiry, which is honest enough of course, but this board isn't meant to be a masturbation fest of being "more interesting" by your standards. This thread clearly has more engagement. The audience for it may differ but "more interesting" should out of context prove itself by traffic.

Netflix is not a channel; it's a fucking streaming service.

no but sportsnet definitely is a channel. Channels 997 and 998 in fact