Era of fast cheap HDD maybe coming soon. With the cartels controlling the SSD prices and size, SSD maybe a dead dream

Era of fast cheap HDD maybe coming soon. With the cartels controlling the SSD prices and size, SSD maybe a dead dream.

HDD will come to the rescue

Other urls found in this thread:

tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-flash-trim,2593.html
youtube.com/watch?v=j84eEjP-RL4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

this is no different than having two hard drives in raid desu although it is a nice improvement since HDDs haven't changed over the years

What are you talking about? HDDs are already cheap and fairly fast. SSDs are also pretty cheap and getting cheaper.

lol, no it's not

What's the rotational velocidensity of the drive in that webm?

Multiple heads

Look at the video.

HDD is dead. SSD capacity is already increasing faster than HDD.

>having more failure points
noice

It's very high.
We'll be forced to buy SSDs to keep our music from deteriorating any further...

>HDD is the only way. SSD price is already increasing faster than HDD.
Fixed that for you.

Now put another set of heads on the other side

SSDs are getting cheaper m80. I got a 240 GB one for $75 recently. Sure HDDs are still cheaper, but random access performance is what you're paying for on a SSD.

They're still getting cheaper per size faster than HDDs though, and will eventually take over.

I'd rather get rid of my HDDs sooner than later because of noise.

cheap 10GB SSDs when?

>mechanical
Please no.
I was so glad we got rid of that shit.

theres like maybe 3 companies that make hdds. i dont see any reason why that would happen.

i would like to have an ssd for storage because they are quiet but it wont happen before the prices become sane. hdds are so fucking loud that a storage computer needs its own room to be tolerable.

>tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-flash-trim,2593.html
256 GB SSD came out 8 years ago.

>240GB is barely < $100 on sales today

Affordable and appropriate sized SSD is a pipe dream.

>several heads
>even more mechanical parts that can break
Sure buddy. The SSD march is ongoing, you can't stop it.

Get lower performance ones if you want quiet. WD Green or Red are pretty quiet. WD Black is very loud and clicky.

I said I got a cheap one, not a big one. 500 GB HDDs came out ages ago too, but they still sell very well because they're the cheap option for people who don't need enormous space.

Yeah I'm not archiving on a fucking SSD.

No one really sells 500GB except in refurbished models.

For the price of $100, you can get a decent 5TB HDD. Back in 2010 or so the price of HDD and SSD were at around 1:10 ratio. It was predicted that SSD and HDD price parity would be reached around today. It hasn't. SSD prices have increased in the last few years and its capacity has not increased either.

HDD are always becoming cheaper, who cares.

Magnetic hard disks will never match the speed of NAND SSDs. Hard drives will stick around for mass storage capacity but at this point virtually every consumer and business PC sells with a SSD for a boot drive, and for good reason.

>SSD prices have increased in the last few years
This is 100% false. I paid $180 for a 500GB 850 EVO shortly after they released, and I paid $110 for one just a month ago.

>No one really sells 500GB except in refurbished models.
There's lots of them...

>For the price of $100, you can get a decent 5TB HDD.
Best I can find on Newegg is a WD Green 5 TB for about $120, with the other choices closer to $200. Good capacity though being a Green the seek performance is going to be terrible. And the 3/5 egg average and reviews suggest they may not be as reliable as they could.

Of course, larger HDDs are always less reliable.

Meanwhile, larger SSDs are more reliable than smaller ones...

>SSD prices have increased in the last few years
Hurrrr.

>Of course, larger HDDs are always less reliable.
If you ignore the thailand floods and seagate shits, larger HDD are pretty reliable.

I assume you meant to reply to the poster I replied too, and not me...?

More platters == less reliability

>HDD cartel
>DDR4 cartel
>SSD cartel
Just FLOOD me up sempai

HDD doesnt have cartel. Its reaching its peak price/performance low profit margin rates.

NAND has cartel. They control DRAM and SSD.

Yes obviously, sorry.

They've nearly doubled in price since last year or so

>mechanical
Will never come close to SSD

Thankfully our lord and savior China is looking into the NAND/DRAM/SSD cartel on price fixing.

Interesting. What's the reason?

Revenge for Apple gaming them during the original iPhone launch.

Honestly, I don't know.

The only reason I read is a conspiracy theory about illegal price fixing between manufacturers or patent holders, but I don't know if I can trust it.

>conspiracy theory
That actually wouldn't be surprising if you knew the history of the memory industry and its past convictions over collusion and price fixing. It is prone to such things since there are few key players and nobody wants to put up with razor thin margins on such a high tech product.

>That actually wouldn't be surprising if you knew the history of the memory industry
I wouldn't be surprised if it were true, but then again, as long as it is not proven, it is but a theory.

Just get a WD Red. For HDDs, they're incredibly quiet. If you're very sensitive to noise, the Fractal Define R5 or similar anti-noise case that you're likely using will make them even harder to hear.

WD reds are still clearly audible in a dampened case. (Especially in a Fractal meme case that tends to turn any HDD vibration into even more noise.)
The way to a truly quiet PC is not damping but SSDs and good airflow so you can minimise fan RPM.

If you want even quieter than Red, get Green. I have one Red and one Green in my NAS box. The Red is considerably louder, but performs better.

SDD OS/programs drive, huge HDD storage drive master race checking in

>hard drives have been out since 1970
>have only recently (2000-2004) reached the TBs and costs gone down
meanwhile
>ssds since 8 years ago
>Can already get a 256gb one for $75

SDD OS/programs drive, huge distant "cloud" storage master race checking in

In case of a major failure, you lose your data.
In case of a nigger raid, you lose your data.
In case of a house fire, you lose your data.

I don't.

>he thinks the nand cartel will make anything cheaper
lmao. enjoy your ddr4 prices too, goy--i mean, dear friend

>virtually every consumer and business PC sells with a SSD for a boot drive
Ahahahahaha we'll be seeing PCs with spinning rust well into 2020.

In case you lose your internet, you lose your data.
In case you lose your cloud company password, you lose your data.
In case your cloud company goes under, you lose your data.
In case your cloud company gets raided by the FBI, you lose your data.
In case your cloud company changes its mind about the plan you have, you lose your data.
In case your cloud company decided it doesn't respect your privacy, anything sensitive you store there isn't private anymore.

I don't. And I don't have to pay monthly rent on the drives my data is on.

Local backup is nice against failures. Then put a locally-encrypted copy of non-replaceable data in a free cloud storage account or two.

>He doesn't understand that NAND =/= DRAM
SSD prices have been falling and will continue to. Right now there's significant competition to get the largest SSD and lowest price per GB to capture datacenter sales.

>In case you lose your internet, you lose your data.
Who the fuck "loses" the Internet?
Also, no. I have folders synched with my cloud-based service.
>In case you lose your cloud company password, you lose your data.
Partially true, but I'm not a retard. Also, there is a small button that says "Lost your Password" under my login page, I wonder what it does.
>In case your cloud company goes under, you lose your data.
Google? Don't think so. Also my data is synched locally.
>In case your cloud company gets raided by the FBI, you lose your data.
Google? Don't think so. Also my data is synched locally.
>In case your cloud company changes its mind about the plan you have, you lose your data.
In such case they tell me, if I agree with the new plan, I stay there, if not, I migrate.
>In case your cloud company decided it doesn't respect your privacy, anything sensitive you store there isn't private anymore.
My sensitive data is encrypted, I'm not a retard.

I still think my solution is way more secure, cheap and easy compared to yours.
But whatever floats your boat man. I hope it doesn't sink.

>Who the fuck "loses" the Internet?
It's usually temporary, but I've been without internet once for a month, because the service techs were incompetent imbeciles.
>Also, no. I have folders synched with my cloud-based service.
Cool, then you have to have as much local storage as you have data. I thought we were trying to solve the problem of storing more stuff than fits comfortably on one SSD, like the guy using a SSD+HDD was.

>Also, there is a small button that says "Lost your Password" under my login page, I wonder what it does.
Depending on the service they may make it difficult to recover to make things harder for anyone trying to steal your account. Because you know stuff like "what street did you grow up on" is pretty easy for an attacker to figure out by looking at public records or chatting you up.

>I still think my solution is way more secure, cheap and easy compared to yours.
You aren't doing anything I'm not then. You have all data stored locally and backed up to the cloud as well. I have all data stored locally and some backed up to the cloud. The difference is I can store more before running out of space.

Check sales for brick and mortar stores. I got 2 4tb drives for 110 at microcenter this week

Nice... I have a Microcenter here but it's a pain in the ass to get to.

Hard drives have always had multiple heads...

Yes, but that's already limited to the absolute shit-tier PCs. Anything above the $6-700 mark is pretty much guaranteed to come with a SSD.

I don't expect that to be much faster, maybe if they put another set of heads with split actuators on the opposite side we would have a HDD getting close to the IOPs of a slow SSD on random

its also a seagate in that picture so you know you're extra fucked.

That setup is basically like have 1/2 of a drive in raid 0 with the other 1/2 of a drive.

Speed is still shit though

go transfer 100gb files and watch how fast ssd becomes the shit drive.
ssds rely on a cache or buffer to appear fast.
tldr It starts out at 700mbps and then after half the transfer is down it drops down to 4mpbs on an ssd.
A hdd doesnt have this issue.

This has to be some brainlet meme

New Zealand Edition

Why is your country so fucking backwards?
Everyone wants to pretend they are professional shop keepers and hold the entire country ransom with their shit prices.
Is amazon unbanned yet?

tfw you will live to experience HDDs with dual actuators and SMD heads with helium inside with a hybrid caching nvme connector

increasing density, IO, redundancy, and greater than 7,200 RPMs

now shrink it down from 5.25 into a 2.5 inch package and we have viable competition to SSDs for long term cold storage

I still don't use SSD's for anything more than boot drives and program storage
bulk storage is much cheaper on hard drives

>I haven't used SSD's in 10 years: the post

modern 7.2k drives can hit close to 200MB/s on sustained write/read

I wish there was a microcenter someplace in WA
I hate frys and sometimes I just can't wait for shit to be shipped

I guess i should ask here; I have 3 6tb drives in a 5 slot case. When I go to 4 drives I can do to two disk fail safe instead of one disk. Then use the 5th slot to increase capacity...

Should I? Or is one disk fail enough with 6tb drives?

>fairly fast
HDDs are horribly slow and the biggest bottleneck of a modern computer by far

My 6 years old drive is noisy but my newer ones are fairly silent, seems like HDD manufacturers got off their asses to fix the problems with the SDD competition.

>ssd
>carrels
There are dozens of ssd manufacturers and only four hdd manufacturers worth mentioning. Cartels, yeah.

>tfw SSD for the OS and critical programs + HDD for data + another HDD for backing up the other drives
comfy

>SSD maybe a dead dream.
Optane will take over in 2-3 years.

a) The motor can die.
b) A crashed head might still take out all platters

I got a 512GB MLC SSD for $150 years ago.

And all the flash memory in those SSDs comes from 1 or 2 companies

>muh evil SSD cartel jewish scam
Sup Forums has gotten really retarded lately (like more than usual).
youtube.com/watch?v=j84eEjP-RL4

Yes there are a lot of shitty SSDs out there. You have to be really careful that you're buying a good one that can actually stay at peak performance.

How are they a bottleneck if you use an SSD as main storage?
When you're watching anime why is 190MB/s sequential read speed not enough?
>inb4 he is retarded enough to believe anyone here uses HDDs as main storage.

>HDDs aren't a bottleneck if you don't use them
what did he meme by this

Nigger, you got trolled. Almost everyone here uses an SSD for OS/boot.

I clearly am using a HDD.

Not for stuff that actually needs the speed like the OS and any program which is the whole point here.

Threadly reminder that if your main reserve against hdds is:
>muh noise
You're a numale, should get off this board and then kill yourself.

Am I the only one who likes the sound HDDs make when they're working. The transparency of modern computers with dead-silent SSDs and no drive activity LED is somewhat off-putting.

>HDD maybe coming soon
Once a technology related to PCs falls off it's never better or equal for that matter to when it was favored. Never has there been an exception excluding very niche markets that tend to cost more than what a consumer will pay for.

Newly manufactured HDDs are sketchy at best.

that gif was bothering me