If phones and tablets are getting to the point where they are just as fast, useful...

If phones and tablets are getting to the point where they are just as fast, useful, and efficient as traditional computers, why do people still prefer desktops and laptops?

Because Adobe refuses to port CC to IOS. Think about it for a moment. The only reason one would choose a surface over an IPad is if they need Adobe's programs or other industry-leading software. Microsoft Office is literally the same on IPad, and the new file management is pretty decent. It can literally be a computer, just not as customisable as nonmobile OSs. In the 2020s tablets and laptops will have merged, once Apple deems it to be the right time, with Lenovo following their footsteps.

Comfy form factor, better OS options. Next thread.

Applel doesn't really care or want Adobe and they barely care for laptops as well, in fact I bet they'd bury their laptop and imac lines in favor of huge iPads, where they control everything

you can't invert a gender binary tree on a whiteboard

>In the 2020s tablets and laptops will have merged, once Apple deems it to be the right time, with Lenovo following their footsteps.

Haven't they merged already?

Because they aren't.

Because those things still have ports.

Google and Microsoft trying to force a gimmick on you are not really useful, currently. ChromeOS is literally meant for poor college students and Windows 10 is the worst OS to date. What we need is Apple convincing normies that there should only be one OS, but the OS can chance environment based on its device.

Name me any way Windows 10 is worse than any other Windows other than telemetry.

It's fucking unstable, and the feel of it is like that of a chore. Windows 7 was fantastic for its simplicity, that literally any retard could use. While Windows 10 isn't that hard to get into, it tries to be lots of things, while not having a clear motive for what it wants to be. Is it OS meant for tablets? Is it a OS for desktops/laptops? Who cares, lets just try to ripoff Apple.

Becasue mobile devices have a shitty OS

It won't be like that forever. The future is cloud storage, so I could imagine a world where every industry-leading software can be simply assessed by the internet without it being important if you used Windows, Mac OS or even fucking Gentoo.

Firstly they aren't as fast.
But secondly for me anyways it's the input devices mouse and keyboard > touchscreen.

Microsoft Office is literally NOT the same on iPad, you would know if you did real work with large data. excel doesnt have VBA, Power Query, ODBC and other vital tools large corporations use

And this is why you have a Desktop at work user.
Kill off laptops and tablets with the hybrid, but keep the Desktop market alive for the absolute experts in tech.

You really think experts in tech are the only ones who need to use office outside of work or home?

>the future is cloud
>oh but desktops are still relevant

make up your mind

For one, wouldn't it just inherently cost more to shove 1TB of space into a tablet than a desktop?

Secondly

>bigger screen without needing consider context of being unwieldy
>non-tablet OS
>non-tablet software

As well, apparently people in suits can just circumvent bruteforcing their way into a device by instead observing the frequent sequences of stuff you type with your warm, sweaty human fingers against glass. A device operated exclusively by keyboard has no such context, I think.

The software is less shitty.

>muh gaymin
>muh crypto mining
>muh anime collection

>just as fast, useful, and efficient as traditional computers
???

/thread

PC/iMac is a workstation, it is at one place and you know it is work time when you sit behind it, minimum fun allowed
laptops are portable workstations
tablets are mostly for consuming media and iPads can also make a little bit of work but it doesn't feel like you're working

>Is it OS meant for tablets? Is it a OS for desktops/laptops?
I think you'll find that was Windows 8.

Because they'll never be as fast and as efficient as desktops: if the technology improves for tablets, it improves for everyone, and desktops can implement technology in an unlimited way, while phone and tablets will always have limitations (mainly power consumption).

because the screen is still small and typing still a hassle. idk if they made powerful tablets that dock and become a full computer with a non-shit OS (so no Android, Chrome OS, etc) I'd consider it.

It's still a long way before mobile arm shit can compete with a real desktop CPU in terms of everything but power consumption.

When they are equal laptops will disappear and desktops will be replaced with docks for phone/tablet to attach monitor/keyboard/mouse/etc by simply laying the device on the dock

for me it's finger obstructing the view
nothing will ever beat cursor

Because they're not as fast or useful, especially Apple products

At the same performance level my stationary system is quieter.
I can also get it to a level tha tthe laptop will never be able to.
But for normies a "docking" station with a keyboard, mouse and a massive monitor to connect to the laptop is great.