I just got a smartwatch. Fuck what you all said, this is amazing. It's like being augmented...

I just got a smartwatch. Fuck what you all said, this is amazing. It's like being augmented, being able to talk to your wrist and get information on literally anything.

I'm convinced wearables are the future now.

Enjoy being tracked by the government

I just got a watch. Fuck what you all said, this is amazing. It's like being augmented, being able to look at your wrist and get information on what time and day it is.

I'm convinced wearables are the future now.

Ebin. You can't see the difference between a normal watch and smart watch? You're basically implying an old Nokia is equivalent to a smartphone.

>Wearing botnet on your wrist
Now "they" know when you are at all times, they know when you go to sleep, when you wake up, how well slept, if you use it to get fit "they" know how fat you are.

It's not like I do anything interesting anyway.

The botnet meme is getting out of hand.

What's the best smart watch then? Prove they're not a meme.

ok i'll bite
>Now "they" know when you are at all times,
wrong, a lot of smartwatches don't have a gps system and rely on the phone.
>they know when you go to sleep, when you wake up,
they don't, since you charge them during the night except if you have a pebble.
>if you use it to get fit
you have to be connected to the dedicate app i.e. google fit, huawei fit etc. or else it stays on the watch. also you have neat little sessions called workouts when it records your activity since it is too battery demanding. the only tracking done automatically is steps.
>"they" know how fat you are.
again, you have to be connected to a fit app and tell "them" your weight but it's totally optional.
t.huawei watch user

Stop defending these pieces of shit.

what a quality post

What am I supposed to say? You're saying you're ok with the botnet.

i'm not defending the botnet, just saying you can use a smartwatch without being part of it

>not Pebble

Why do you like shit?

>tfw I own an Apple Watch so don’t have to worry about this

Feels good man.

Instead you just have a shit product.

Muh dead watch

I love the idea of having someone at the government track my boring life. Seems hilarious to me.

Surely you have at least something interesting.

this tbqhwy
>no more pulling out my phone and staring at it like a retard to find some dead-end street place in my chaotic Slav city

You're a fucking dolt LMFAO

user, don't you think OP has a cell phone already?

how is a wearable botnet?

you've not actually given anything to indicate it's a botnet though?

It's google

right so is my completely open source phone, but yet it's not a botnet - weird

I'm happy for you, Dick Tracy

If you are running AOSP without any google services then it doesnt *really* count as a google product. If you are running any google services then your phone is probably not "completely open source". As well as being able to view the source code doesnt make something free software.

ok what about a phone running google but with a whitelisted IPtables firewall
and before you claim google services ignore IPtables have something to back it up

Does anyone know if there are any opensource/free software alternatives for tracking my running with a GPS fitness tracker? I know there is Gadget Bridge, but that only supports a few devices and doesnt do any GPS or session tracking or anything as far as I can tell.
I know there are apps that will do it on your phone, but I dont really like lugging my phone around with me when I go out.

Shitty posts. Muh botnet without any proof, no argument after the other user explained to you why you can avoid being botnetted.

you cannot claim you're 100% safe just because of iptables rules
come on user you're going to embarrass yourself, think before you post

When they make them so you only have to charge once every 6 months then we'll talk.

where did this 6 month min requirement come in? why 6 months lol

yes I can because I've done a wireshark analysis so I know none of my data is getting sent to google, unless of course you have something to back up your claim iptables don't work?

you're giving yourself a false sense of security user
you can do all your analysis and it won't show a thing until it's too late
stop feeling so confident in your safety before it backfires

Having google services running on your phone but blocking any internet access to them just means that they cant do anything. For them to have any purpose they rely on being able to access google's servers. Whats the difference between that and not having them installed on your phone in the first place, other then for a hypothetical situation to try and prove a point? What functionality do google services provide in offline mode?

ok since you don't have evidence do you atleast have anything that indicates my setup isn't secure other than FUD?
you'd obviously selectively give them access when you need to

i'm not going to go through it again
but you're far too confident in yourself

>not going through it again
but you've said nothing but fud lad, you've not backed up any of your points with anything

>People go around with a smartphone in their pocket all the time, with GPS on, data on, wifi on, bluetooth on, with their face/fingerprint/name/address/contacts/credit card registered and linked to the device
>totally fine

>people wear a watch with limited functionalities compared to a phone
>OMG YOU ARE WEARING THE BOTNET NOW THEY CAN TRACK YOU

This is the Sup Forums that will enter 2018 in a few hours.

i'm honestly not interested in giving you evidence or saying what you're doing is bad or won't work
but stop being so confident in it

so you're argument is
>trust a shitposter on Sup Forums more than you trust yourself
the reason you won't give evidence is because there isn't any, stop pretending it's something else

Implying that that a smatwatch is worth purchasing if you already own a smartphone.

Hurr I just got a smartphone. Fuck what you all said, this is amazing. It's like being augmented, being able to talk to your hand and get information on literally anything, and it's a thousand times more convienient than a shitty smartwatch.

i'm not saying stop doing it, nor did i provide any alternatives
i'm saying that you're having far too much confidence in your approach to privacy, as if you're smarter than those implementing the features to gather and use your information

I don't think I'm smarter I just KNOW if google was circumventing iptables not only would I know about it but there'd be tons of news articles on it

>you'd obviously selectively give them access when you need to
>right so is my completely open source phone, but yet it's not a botnet - weird
Congratulations you just connected to the botnet.

Sup Forums is made up of luddites.

the iptables thing was an example, my phone doesn't run anything google

What problems does it solve that your phone doesn't solve? GPS?
And how often do you need to charge it?
How long does it take to charge it?
Do you need to take the watch off to charge it?

>How long does it take to charge it?
The whole thread was coming from this:
>ok what about a phone running google but with a whitelisted IPtables firewall
If you are running AOSP without google services then it doesnt apply.

It augments the experience

Shittttttter

no my phone is lineage without gapps, I'm just wondering how would a phone with a whitelisted firewall and google services be botnet?

Because that's what it will take for me to buy a smartwatch.

t.huawei watch user user here, speaking about my experience
>What problems does it solve that your phone doesn't solve?
do you have a watch by chance? would you like to see the time, along with your notifications and maybe answer without taking your phone out? and maybe on the side change the way you see the time(and believe me there are plenty other than analog/digital)?
it's a really neat gadget, and i say GADGET because you don't need it just like any regular watch. i mean, you can read the time on your phone, look around for a wall clock or just ask the time to strangers.
>GPS?
other than smartbands there are mainly two types of smartwatches: sport ones where gps is present, like garmin ones and the gear s3;
and classy ones, like the huawei watch 1 or moto 360 which rely on your phone.
>And how often do you need to charge it?
>How long does it take to charge it?
you most likely want to charge it during the night.
only using it a bunch of times a day to check the time and a couple notifications will leave you at the end of the day with 40-50% of battery(note: on the huawei watch)
if you are a total autist and need to check constantly the time and maybe track your activity with full brightness you'll have less battery left at the end of the day, but charging it requires less than half an hour on the integrated charger so that's actually nice.
if you need a long battery life just get a pebble, but you'll miss out on features like touchscreen, oled displays, heart rate monitors and wrist gestures but with a week worth of display on.
>Do you need to take the watch off to charge it?
yes.

You are incapable of putting something on a charger during the night when you're not using it?