What will smartphones be like in 10 years? Where can they even go from here?

What will smartphones be like in 10 years? Where can they even go from here?

the exact same but a few millimeters thinner and with even smaller batteries

You say that, but 10 years ago phones were completely different. Unless you're underage or something and grew up with smartphones, it should be obvious that in another 10 years, 20 total since smartphones gained popularity, they will be completely different.

They'll be obsoleted, just as desktops and laptops are now

And they bend making the battery explode, because all the "new" battery discoveries are yet to be implemented on commercial products.

Smart glasses

Not him but 10 years ago phones were not completely different. I mean, they're a lot faster and smoother now but the form factor is virtually the same.

iPhone: 2007
there's virtually no difference between that and the iPhone 8/X besides processing power

10 years ago, phones were different because it was before every phone being a smartphone.

After the iPhone was released, every phone started to mimic its design.
After Android got popular, every phone sorta consolidated into a candybar with a few buttons on the side.

glasses or contacts with AR becoming more prevalent soon after

although the flat piece of glass is a great general input device, voice and what passes for "AI" will dominate input in the coming years in ways people don't yet know

Nah. People aren't gonna wanna wear glasses no matter how thin and stylish they get. Smartphones are here to stay for the foreseeable future

Everything useful removed, display only, single size only, the only differences in phones are gimmicks.

>What will smartphones be like in 10 years?
Nothing really different than today.
More botnet (useless assistants), more restricted hardware and even more locked-down software.
Literally hell.

Better cameras, better screens, smaller batteries in terms of physical size - although smaller batteries will be able to hold similar charges due to more efficient tech, removable batteries and rear cases will become a thing of the past (as will the microSD slot) in order to encourage users to purchase new phones, purchase replacements/repairs, and place a heavier emphasis on cloud data storage and services. Retina/fingerprint scanners will become commonplace, and the removal of the headphone jack will become more and more common as Bluetooth earphones become more affordable and widely adopted. I wouldn't be surprised if they tried creating "holographic" features which allow projecting of information in a 3D manner outside of the phone.

Lots of anti-privacy shenanigans and thinkpad-tier smartphones will become more of a novelty, niche market than a standard. However, I can see a new privacy-focused OS sparking up in the future, similar to Android but without being so heavily reliant on Google's services at a system level. Perhaps Microsoft and Mozilla will try another mobile OS, or maybe Tizen will somehow take off. Whatever it is, I have a hard time believing iOS v. Android is going to stay forever.

TLDR, I hate most of it apart from better screens and cameras.

I'm waiting for smart-glasses to be a thing next year. They might have the ability to make phone calls from your phone like smartwatches, but I'll be waiting for smart glasses to function independently and make calls. Eye tracking where you can look at the buttons to dial or you can say, "Siri, call Uncle Joe". You will be able to consume media and be able to walk around at the same time. Import a NFC payment system, you will be able to walk through the door a gate to pay for your groceries. No more needing to wait in line.

Neural interface is the only thing able to significantly change the look of smartphones.

They will absolutely not be see-through like OP thinks.

I know this is bait, but there are millions of faggots out there who would unironically find this to be the coolest thing in the world. They love sacrificing their privacy for a few minor conveniences. Politicians and corporations will work together hand-in-hand to exploit this hubris, and people ought to be more concerned about it.

We need someone to detonate a data bomb (or some other catastrophe) and have a bunch of people lose precious information that they trusted these big, benevolent companies and governments to store for them. It sounds awful, but the sooner it occurs, the sooner people will take encryption, privacy, and backups more seriously.

separate processor units that stay in your pocket with a wearable touch screen that wraps around your wrist or snaps flat and rigid to be used like a current smart phone

Cloud operating systems making all differences in hardware pointless. Obviously you'll have to subscribe to a more expensive package to have a faster OS, and obviously you'll lose all your data if you stop paying. Or if you get banned for wrong political views.

These are the only right answers so far.

The push for AR devices to replace smart phones is going hard by Apple and Facebook. Facebook even has neural interface/input devices in prototype phase in their R&D division at their company, and Elon Musk has a whole company dedicated to pushing out neural interface/connections with others.

Of course this is going to lead to a whole new slew of privacy and business concerns, especially with the rollout of 5G data connections and the lack of net neutrality laws.

see
Too many social issues as far as appearance goes. And consumers don't like the idea of a camera on people's faces, remember Google Glass?

I just don't see it. VR isn't gonna pan out either anytime soon. Smartphones 10 years from now will be basically the same, just faster, smoother and cheaper.

why would a phone need to be see-through, ahahaha.

I'm not telling you my great ideas. Fuck off.

Right. That's exactly the point. 11 years ago every phone was a flip phone, then 10 years ago iPhone came out and every phone had to be a smartphone to stay relevant. 10 years from now that'll be 20 years of smartphone. Something else will come out, and everything will have to be that new type of phone to be relevant.

all work gets done on desktops and laptops.
fags view their kikebook on cell phones.

The next step could be bending displays and the device wraps around your wrist so you can use it like in Futurama. You could also unwrap it and use it as a smartphone. The neural shit is too far in the future to be the next step. It could be the step after that.

Just a little protip: if it consists of two parts it's not taking off. See: smart watches and glasses.

Unless someone comes up with another breakthrough that no one has though of yet it will just be another 10 years of encrimental improvements.

I am more interested what further improvements to internet connections can bring.

You can sell literally anything to these. People. Glasses will probably take off, and it'll be "if you don't have these glasses on, I can't talk to you or look at you." Just like "if you don't have an iPhone I won't text you green bubbles are yuck!"

U can sell them anything as long as it lets them flaunt their superiority

Sadly this is the most probable.

This is stupid. Cloud software ties performance to your internet connection rather than hardware capabilities. The closes you will get to this is ChromeOS.

>Where can they even go from here?
Are you serious?
Soon we will have contact lense phones and then basically direct matrix tier brain implant that will replace phones and computers all together

Far stronger than "ew, green bubbles" is "get that fucking camera outta my face dude". Also that green bubbles thing is pretty US only, I have literally never heard of anybody using iMessage outside of the US.

Sure, but that's like 30+ years away.

Not performance, only the latency.

Hopefully not like this, I likes papes

Thanks for the correction.

People keep saying this. I remember at least five years ago, probably longer, all computers were imminently about to be replaced by thin clients to cloud subscriptions... None of it's happened and honestly why would it?

Hardware is getting cheaper, not more expensive.
Most people don't do very much intensive computing.
What intensive computing they do do already resembles a thin client (for example Netflix and YouTube).
Hardware is small enough that portability is no longer improved through thin clienting.
On the flip side, wireless bandwidth does not appear to be getting much cheaper and there are apparently quite serious radio bottlenecks that may not be possible to overcome.

There isn't any significant benefit for the users here to offset the absolutely colossal downsides.

they will be mostly the same, but better, and someone will be marketing semi popular VR sunglasses

also the VR sunglasses will be like the smartwatch

The future is never as clean and simple as predicted, even when right. Things have moved way more into "the cloud" than you think. What isn't streamed or used via webpage is now SAAS with a huge toward cloud storage. There will be a point where everyone just logs onto a VM from an internet slab and it's all done there. We're just in the in-between messy period. Oddly, gaymers are one of the few groups that really need the tech to work on site until they change how gayming works.

>smartphones

That's a funny way of spelling augmented reality headgear.

>"what will smart phones look like in the future?"
>posts image of what smart phone might look in the in future

I dunno, maybe they'll actually be see through and shit. Could be cool

That's not a requirement. How were personal computers 10 years ago?

No one is going to want to change how gaming works, we already tried streaming games and if there isn't a server farm in the town that the game is being served from it's dogshit

I hope this stupid transparent meme never comes to pass, even though I know deep down inside that it will be as widespread as muh thinness is right now.

It's not even that, until the current generaton of gaymers starts dying I don't think they'll be able to convince anybody to trust server farms in favour of installing the game on your own drive. Also it would kill shit like modding.

>SamsApple eyePhone Galaxy+
You are all so laughably wrong. THIS IS THE FUTURE.

I doubt smartglasses will ever take off, but if it can be miniaturized in contact lenses, that will take off big time.

probably still around
i think the next step is integrating the botnet into your brain

Same as today but with

>all physical buttons removed.
>gorilla glass 9 that still cracks with a single fall from waist height and scratch with pocket sand
>usb-c remove trend same as 3,5mm now.
>fingerprint scanner, iris scanner and face scanner also removed on the same trend.
>spider vision tier amount of cameras, but people still complain they have shittier quality than the ones with an ancient nokia 808
>10.000 mHa batteries are a standard but still can't manage over 12 hours of SOT.
>Android Y next to release, chipset support is still shit and treble did nothing so companies still don't support for over than 6 months except flagships.
>Iphone XX still on 2gb ram

I cringed. Try again.

More botnet

I think that you'll find the divide between that computers they use and what normies use become even more ridiculous though. Normies will be using some kind of internet slab, anyone doing more serious stuff will be on something like a chrome book only because of the form factor. Beyond gaming rigs which will become even more self-built, nothing will live user-side except what's in your most basic thin client.

I predict flexible screens, and either phones that can open like books or maps to double/quadruple etc the screen size.
Or phones will cylindrical/column shaped with screens that roll out like a scroll.

Smartphones won't exist in 10 years. Wearables would have taken over. This is Apple's vision and it shall be done. Look at the Apple Watch with LTE and AirPods. Its a major step. Apple are very interested in VR/AR headsets/glasses and are dumping massive resources into it. I think they'll be the first company to make a whole computing experience with wearables.

Apple's goal is to make the technology as invisible as possible and not the point of focus itself.

>Portless
>Shatter resistant screens
>2-3 day battery life
>OLED or nano led Displays
>completely bezel less, might have pop out front facing camera.

Gamble: Samsung releases its own OS

Samsung will likely release their own OS, they'd be crazy to keep paying the royalties to google.

As someone who owns and uses an Apple Watch, I disagree. Wearables are not good replacements for Smartphones because of their tiny displays as well as their lacking versatility. For example, I can not take photos or shitpost on my watch. What wearables are really good for is just exercising companions and a way to answer texts and calls away from your phone, maybe also brief you on your emails and networks.

The first iPhone didn't have the App Store. It had its basic built in functions and nothing more. I'd say that overall "custom" applications are pretty different.

Try 12 years, champ. We're reaching the point where the iPhone was around 10 years ago and that doesn't change much with each iteration.

12 years ago the majority of people not using symbian smartphones were using flip or candy bar style phones, but overall phones really haven't changed a whole lot in the last decade. In 10 years, though, I'd really like to see them as something like the Total Recall remake where they're embedded in your body and it's all just software updates. Unlikely, since humanity seems really resistant to biohacks, but I can dream.

Hell, really I'd settle for the communicator system from Star Trek with built in universal translator. I say "user to anon2", and anon2 gets a pleasant little chirp and taps their device and we talk as if we're standing in the same room, even if anon2 doesn't even speak any of the languages that I speak.

Mostly faster and higher battery capacity.
Give it a few years and we will have cellphones as full desktop replacements, simply connect it to any monitor and your peripherals over bluetooth and use it like any conventional PC right now

How does that make it any different?

>More RAM and exponentiaqlly powerful CPUs
>Phones now come in variant RAM models, like today's 32gb/64gb/128gb storage variant
>however, the OS running on them is equally resource hungry, rendering the high RAM useless
>No on board storage/SD card, all phones use cloud storage
>No ports on phone
>Phones are either extremely thin, or simply embedded on user's palms
>phones have tiny nanomachine cameras all over the screen and back, which are on 24/7 for optimal instagram and social media usage
>???
>fucking normalfaggots and their memes will be the death of us all

The next 10 years won't be as innovative technology wise as the first 10. Innovation has been falling off a cliff, every phone is essentially the same for the past 5 years, save for processing power.

Phones in 10 years will be like they are now. Bezelless, 6 inch 18:9 1440p, UFS 2.X. Cores won't go above 8. RAM won't go above 8 GB. 32-64 GB storage might be a thing of the past, hopefully we'll see 128 become standard.

What WILL change is the market. There will definitely be more companies like the OnePlus's, and the Essentials, and the HTCs of the world offering flagship specs at an affordable price. Samsung will still offer the most reliable overpriced hardware.

Apple is going to have a hard time keeping up with Google for OS market share. When treble kicks into gear and updates are streamlined, and their signature Pixel series is already targeting Apple's yuppie market. Apple is in trouble and they know it.

Oh and win blows 10 phone be a thing but less than 1% market share.

They sure as shit aren't gonna be transparent.
Sony tried it once and it was fucking awful, for obvious reasons.

>Another 10 years of candy bar screens

Just kill me now desu

It drastically changed the functionality and made it much more versatile, software-wise.

Wpuldn't hurt if they were actually good

Why care about smartphones?

Robots and true AI will soon be within reach and they're going to change society infinitely times more than fucking smartphones.

most realistic way is like the assistant in HER, do most things through voice played through an earpiece, only having to remove the main device from a pocket for looking at pictures, videos, browsing, and using the camera.

Not transparent like that, that's just intensely stupid.

They will probably develop ultra-thin and bendy phones. Was it samsung who was researching a bendy screen? I can see a tough yet bendy phone being all the rage if done right, because presumably you could drop it or sit on it and it wouldn't matter. Glasses are honestly laughable, I can't believe google thought people would by into some 13 year olds sci fi fan fiction. No one wants to wear glasses, ever, even the people who wear glasses. Same with contacts; it will have its uses in the military, but the average person isn't going to put in such wow blade runner AR lenses into their eyes every day. The rule of business is that people generally really don't give a fuck and don't want to be screwed with. It's why apple, despite flaws and a few douchey tactics, got to be the most financially valuable brand in the world: it's whole MO is "just make it work so easy it's basically a baby toy."

Or a small bendy phone with a holographic projection thing

very unlikely. your phone would melt from all that heat that a processor with desktop tier power would produce.

it might be possible to make the screen bendable but how will they make the battery bendable too? currently existing batteries will explode if you bend them. its probably one reason why modern phones are glued together.. to keep the retards away from the fragile soft battery.

It's easy to say in retrospect since we know it failed, but people are still wearing/buying smart watches and we all remember when people wore BT earpieces all day long. If the Google glasses were more inconspicuous and looked like regular glasses, I think it would have taken off.

In 10 years we'll have figured out how to make supercomputer smartphones as well as having increasingly protections and software to boot, maybe even up to desktop gaming power on a phone

But we'll never figure out how people keep breaking their fucking screens with so little effort

Imagine that, one day a computer might fit inside a room!

easy. just dont make the screen of glass. old phones with plastic screens could be thrown at the pavement and nothing would happen.

Everyone would stop buying them as such.
The people now are trained to hate anything that isnt super responsive or bright/flashy. I would love to have a 3310 style smartphone where it shatters the earth beneath me if I drop it but if I can't see shit on the screen then it's not worth buying outside of calls

Which isn't even a problem itself it's that faggots ruined the industry so if it can't add filters to your duckface starbucks selfie and send it to Instagram within seconds then the dumb white sluts won't bother getting daddy's card to buy it.

But if it makes calls then you win

I want neural VR.
Not a fucking screen glued to my eyes

>Which isn't even a problem itself it's that faggots ruined the industry so if it can't add filters to your duckface starbucks selfie and send it to Instagram within seconds then the dumb white sluts won't bother getting daddy's card to buy it.
Saved

>2000
>flying-car meme
We are not going any further ...

many peoples use iMessage in France, for example

>AI
What do you mean ?
I don't understand how can it be usefull before a singularity. A voice that tells you how many unread mails you have or play chess is not "ai", it's a robot.

i imagine the green bubbles thing is only poor people compalining because they have to use wifi to message people since they cant afford texting credit. Suppose that is what happens when you buy the new shiny iphone every year

why do normies think that future-smartphones will be clear? What the fuck is the function of that?

I'd like one that had a transparent display (that could be opaque from the other side) that would implement an AI-backed augmented reality interface that could help someone stay productive in real time.