Why do you use Linux Sup Forums?

Why do you use Linux Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems#Market_share_by_category
netrunner.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

autism

I don't. Win10 just works.

I don't but I'm highly considering dual booting it.
With KDE being the only DE I will consider and me not wanting Arch-like distros; Advise me on a decent KDE distribution.

Wanting to use it for general comfy movie watching and web browsing.

I swear to god if my iGPU or NVIDIA card have any issues I'm just going to Hackintosh without even attempting to fix it though.

Why do almost all of the Internet's servers run Linux?

Once I got my home server set up right and locked down it runs for a couple years until the next version of Debian comes out. It's very stable and can run headless without any DE bloat unlike Windows Server.

They run windows actually

Hackintoshing is harder than installing any major Linux distribution if you don't have a compatible setup. But from what you say you could try both.
If you like KDE and stability: KDE Neon, openSUSE, Debian Stable. That's it.

Tell me at least one reason not to use Linux? I have more than one to use it.
>botnetfree
>no annoying updates who forces me to reboot
>full control of Operating System
>software I like (terminal is powerfull thing, emacs, vim, wm)
>If using stable distribution (openSUSE, debian, ubuntu LTS) it just works without issues
>I have all this power and can virtually (if needed) run any windows software I want
inb4
>no games, lol
That's only reason to use windows for me. I can live with whatever games working on Linux. It's low priority for me.

I have already gone through the hassle of making sure I can Hackintosh my machine.

I can have it up and running, stable within the hour.

I just wanted to try Linux.

don't want to pay for windows license, machine isn't compatible for hackintosh, cheapest Mac is twice the price I believe is reasonable to spend for a computer and Linux sorta works.

The absolute state of Sup Forums

No need to activate. Same reason I also use MacOS.

What an ignorant Sup Forumstard

Kubuntu

Linux pays my bills

I run it on my laptop cause if shitposting and watching animuh is all you do it works fine and takes less time to install than windows

I just burned out on constantly playing whack-a-mole with Windows' innumerable security holes and ever-expanding telemetry "features."

Because nothing else is usable.

Linux works, windon't

because it just works.

Because it's the only one that can ever reach the point of "everyone everywhere is using it and only it". Apple and Microsoft lock their systems down so much that they can never get to the point where people use their systems for absolutely everything. Linux has no downsides in theory and the downsides in practice can be removed by altering the code.

It's a nice kernel for android. Much better than a full botnet kernel.

I’d just like to interject for moment. What you’re refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!

Both work just fine and serve different needs. Stop posting cherry picking fallacies to defend your OS.

because it's fun

This

Because comfy.

Also, this guy's image sums it up: I've been on Linux for 10 years. I don't miss having to fight my own computer.

I hated linux until my comp classes forced me to study linux. From there on i was like yo its not tbat bad and spent hours reading man pages and actually bothered with certs. I kept studying and found myself loving it, emulatung programs requires more power but wbo cares everyone and tgeir mother are rocki g 2k gami g pcs and really doesnt matter since linux got me a job that pays the bills and its a fucking bunch since this is hicks ville

Are you having a stroke? Should we call a GNU/Ambulance?

Ahahahahahahaha

Defending? From what?

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as a stroke, is in fact, GNU/stroke, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus stroke. Strokes are not a medical condition unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU mental condition made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX. Many users have a modified version of the GNU condition every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the usage of GNU which is widely practiced today is often called “having a stroke”, and many of its patients are not aware that it is basically the GNU condition, caused by the GNU Project. There really is a stroke, and these people are having it, but it is just a part of the condition they have. The stroke is the result: the condition that is caused by the machine’s lack of driver support and lots of bugs in programs that you run. The stroke is an essential part of that medical condition, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete mental disorder. A stroke normally occurs in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with a stroke added, or GNU/Stroke. All the so-called “Strokes” are really symptoms of GNU/Linux.

kek

>freedom
>privacy
>customizability
>faster OS than Windows or macOS
>most stable OS there is
>package manager
>sane update policy
>ease of use
>flexibility
>full control
>no bloat
>superior programming environment
>superior UI/UX
>being part of the OSS community
>it is also free as in free beer
>and many other reasons

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems#Market_share_by_category

I actually run xubuntu in one of my jobs virtual machines.

It allocates the machine resources to the programs that I run. It's an important part of my OS.

>using linux
>theme it like windows

Are you admitting defeat?

GNU/Linux*

>TOP500
>Linux
>100%
W I N D O Z E
F A G S
B T F O

>There really is a stroke, and these people are having it
FUCKING LOST

It's faster
It updates waaaaay faster
It doesn't run malware
I can config anything exactly how I like it
It doesn't slow down over time
It's easier
It gives me nerd cred

also, and most importantly, it gives you control over your PERSONAL computer.

Because FreeBSD lacks good hardware support.

This and Stockholm Syndrome.

Linux is good for work. Windows is good for play.

That is, if your work is programming.

For shit like this

But user, you gotta love the Microsoft Ecosystem. Great synergy across services and seamless use and transfer of data across your devices, be they either desktop, mobile, or shadow NSA profiles with your name.

I wanted to fit in on Sup Forums, but still be an individual. I chose the best distro for this

Because it just works. Its easier and less annoying than windows for my day to day activities. Mostly development

What's the xubuntu experience like?

I starting using Linux because my Downloads folder in Windows starting taking 2 minutes to populate every time I opened it.

Because I have more control over it and I know it's not spying on me. That said, I recognize it's still dogshit in terms of GUI choices and software compatibility

I don't know. It's a pain in the ass, but I guess it's nice not having to deal with Windows updates anymore? idk, I'm honestly forgetting why I stopped using Windows, probably time to come home.

Because it is what came installed on my everything not named desktop PC.

Elephant windows need a big computer to be fit in, but small linux penguin can fit on everything.

I like it a great deal.

It's highly customizable and you can tweak it and rice it if you want to. I dont rice it actually, just made a few minor tweaks and from time to time I do some changing on the bars and that stuff.

You can have as many bars as you want, or none at all, and have them be what you desire: time trackers, dockers, toolbars, or all of it together. I myself personally use one with the whisker menu, which is really handy, five of my most used softwares, a clock and some tools.

It is lightweight, simple to use, and it's got the capability of handling multiple desktop environments, which is neat.

I would say that it has the practicality of i3wm and the easiness of unity. I wouldn't switch it for another DE, and I've had my time with quite a few of them.

Originally I couldn't install windows for whatever reason, now I've just been using for long enough I see no reason to change from it.

Open Source, trustworthy software supply chain (signed binaries compiled from source on local machine).

Outbound firewall logs everything, and those logs are easy to mine and visualize.

All the software I need / want, which is mostly terminals and browsers.

Desktop has looked the same for about 15 years.

Permissionless computing, am not cucked by microsoft or apple to do simple things like install a compiler.

If you aren't running Linux or BSD on the desktop you never really actualized into an adult and should kill yourself.

>If you aren't running Linux or BSD on the desktop you never really actualized into an adult and should kill yourself.

If Earth followed your advice, 99% of the world's population would kill themselves and only ugly neckbeards would be left.

Using Linux literally leads to the extinction of the human race.

> 99% of the world's population
Speaking of which we have too many muslims...

> only ugly neckbeards
Sorry bitch that meme don't fly. The bitches I have dated figured out how to install Ubuntu on a laptop while they were in college when they were as young as 19. The higher quality bitches I've dated have installed Linux on their extra Macbook Air (without me even telling them to) and then went ahead and set up the VPN (that her cousin had told her to set up on her Mac) on Linux.

Aaaannnnddd the last really hot one I met at a music festival chose a good ThinkPad model (without me being involved) and installed Xubuntu for the first time without asking any questions or receiving any guidance from me other than "click encryption on your home folder".

If you can't Linux, you are either subhuman, or should kill yourself because you're useless.

I don't use Linux regularly, but I always keep some trusty boot CDs and boot flash-drives with the latest most noob friendly distros to rescue any dysfunctional Windows machine I might come across. But truth be told, I'm honestly considering migrating to Linux once and for all, even more so now that gaming in Linux has been making huge strides with WINE and the release of the Vulkan API. It'll probably be my next OS once Microsoft finally discontinues support for Windows 7.

nigga you done fucked up

because Linux is simply better

I remember back when Linus Torvalds took a giant shit on Richard Stallman over this exact argument.

Debian net iso ayyyyy

Also gnome is bloat. use dwm

These 3 are main
1. freedom(free software, open source)
2. privacy (code is open)
3. customizability (having a non bloat system , ricing your desktop)
4. package manager( best thing about gnu/linux. Windows is too liberal with .exes, hence viruses)

5.full control (if you are advanced enough, see LFS or gentoo)

Before a Winfag says Chocolatey Linux actually has free package managers unlike Windows.

Netrunner
netrunner.com/

No god awful hour long updates that are forced every other time I boot laggy ass windows

I have an older machine as my primary (x220) so I prefer an os lighter on system resources

Arch + i3 master race reporting in

Linux is really comfy and customizable. I still need Windows for CAD though.

i use every os daily for a living, i like them all but i like linux the most because it does cooler shit for less money with higher reliability and higher performance.

/thread

>bsd
>free

Everything that isn't a consumer desktop PC runs Linux. That includes your phobe and your router.

OpenSuse, KDE Neon, Kubuntu.
OpenSuse has the best out of the vox experience in my experience, but some software I wanted was not in the repos, that's why I switched to Arch. KDE Neon and Kububtu are pretty similar. In KDE Neon you get all KDE packages directly from the developers

Because GNU won't work alone, and Hurd is still at beta.

I want to rice my desktop and have a picture of my waifu on it.

Use it on servers, duh.

It's not rocket appliances.
>windows is shit tier malware.
>macos is gay walled garden.
>bsd doesn't werk.
>GNUplusLinux just werks.

Just out of curiosity, what were you missing on opensuse?

Because it's free.

stop deleting pagefile.sys

the repos are slow to update. Leap doesn't even have firefox quantum yet.

inb4 you don't have to install it from the repo

>Why
Because 9front is not feature complete yet.

much butthurt?

Encrypting the home folder with ecryptfs runs 3x slower than using luks full disk encryption

What about Windows 7?