/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and _monitor_ suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>G4560/G4600 for non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming (especially the i5 8400) or multithreaded use CPUs (especially the R5 1600)
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper / i7 - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

Graphics cards:
>Consider Vega 56 for a Freesync monitor
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>GTX 1050Ti and 3GB 1060 are the only reasonably priced cards; 6GB 1060 or 4GB 580 if you want to overpay a little
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Previous:

Other urls found in this thread:

reflect.macrium.com/help/v5/how_to/Rescue/Rescue_a_system_with_the_Windows_PE_environment.htm
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIABY76NV9847
pcpartpicker.com/list/vCYqYr
imgur.com/a/pZAe1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>6 months later
>tfw RX570 went from hundreds of dollars overpriced to just overpriced
>tfw the budget king died before it even got a chance to shine

Is there any good resource for specs for old cases? I'm thinking about building a new PC in a very old case I have at my house, but it's a small form factor desktop from 2000. I think it's micro atx, but I want to confirm

Does it matter if I get the GTX 1070 Ti in Titanium or Black?
>But user the color doesn't matter.
The way that they're built looks different to me.

>pic related

Take measurements from one standoff / hole to the next and compare to the common form factors. Could be proprietary mobo dimensions

That's certainly a viable plan. It's an ancient Celeron system with 64 mb of RAM. I think the PSU is dead, but I do have a spare working one lying around so I might play with it

i bought my rx 480 before the 5xx series came out. i also got the 4gb version. was on sale for around $190. how i wish i had spent a bit more money for the 8gb version. my rx 480 is kicking ass in games, but i know 4gb isnt gonna cut it that much longer.

it's fine, by the time 4gb isn't enough a 480 of any sort won't be enough either

has ram always been that expensive???

This is my issue from the last thread:

>Still having random freezes on my current build, not sure exactly what it is. I've replaced the motherboard with the same model, updated to the latest BIOS, and replaced the GPU twice. My power supply is fine (750G2) and I ran memtest86 for 5 hours and didn't have any errors, not overclocked either. Should I try replacing the CPU since its still barely under warranty? Its a 6700k.

The response I got
>Could be the SSD

Could I get some clarification on that? Is there a way to test this because my problem is completely random, it happens sometimes as little as once per month but I've also had it happen twice within 3 hours.

What would be the best course of action to rule out the SSD? I have a drive cloner, I could just buy a new SSD and clone it and run it for a month or two and see if that helps.

Also this isn't a BSOD, its just a complete system freeze. I have to hold the power button and turn it back on, where it will then post in "Safe mode" and give me the american megatrends screen.

>Is there a way to test this
Remove the SSD and install the OS on the HDD

I've never bothered with Samsung's disk software. Apparently there has been numerous firmware updates for the 850 evo series. After the holidays are over I'll touch base with someone at Samsung and see what they have to say.

If anyone has any other suggestions I could try in the meantime feel free to throw them at me.

I only use one drive for the system, its an 850 Evo 1tb.

no
fuck normies and their phones
ram has never cost this much

I remember when it was like $1/mb

I posted last week, win 7 performance index test crashed on a new build. Pic related.
Yesterday i installed win 10 and ran it again, no crash.
Today i installed win 7 again (the previous install was wonky) but it crashes just the same.

I narrowed it down to the d3d test. The logs last line does this test if it means anything to anyone:
-aname Tex -time 5 -fbc 10 -disp off -animate 10 -width 1280 -height 1024 -totalobj 500 -batchcnt C(125) -objs C(20) -noalpha -texshader -totaltex 10 -texpobj C(4) -rendertotex 6 -rtdelta 3' c
Assessing DirectX Texture load Performance

Any ideas?

If I create a system image with Macrium on an external drive, how would I go about restoring to that image in the event of data loss, just boot from it? What if I've got other crap on it aside from the image? I plan on imaging a system to a portable SSD I have lying around since it doesn't get much use for my VMs anymore.

have a live usb, boot that, install macrium, then restore from external

If I build a new pc this summer, would it be stupid to use windows 7 this late? Should I just accept the windows 10 BBC?

Is there a big difference between 1070's? I was going to buy the nvidia one but they sold out, i see zantac and msi also have one

Wouldn't that be kinda crappy? I'd have to wait for Windows to do all its garbage before I could even think about getting to the desktop and running macrium.

It’s not as bad as Sup Forums would have you believe. Just don’t be an idiot

I have a live windows 7 usb, boots up in 1-2 minutes

Does macrium have an option to create a recovery usb stick or something?

What mobo would you recommend?

>just don't be an idiot

what did you mean by this

If you have to ask, then it’s irrelevant and you’ll be fine.

>Does macrium have an option to create a recovery usb stick or something
I was under the impression that's how it worked yeah.

reflect.macrium.com/help/v5/how_to/Rescue/Rescue_a_system_with_the_Windows_PE_environment.htm

Tried the newest driver, same shit, except it fails one step earlier.

if you've got a spare memory stick install linux on it and use it for browsing the web, when you don't need windows and see if it still crashes.

Price aside...which is the better gpu the radeon 580 or the gtx 1070

>when you don't need windows
99% of the time its crashed during gaymen, so that's a bit difficult to test on a linux stick.

I got an i7-3770, and a gtx970.

Is it worth building a new rig? mine has been upgraded but is roughly 4 years old.

I'd reuse my 16gb of ram, but I have been eying the 1070 and an i7-6700k

If you need to use Windows, 7 is still king. Driver support will become an issue as more and more people flock to 10 for vidya and meme apis, but its still widely used as of now. Running Ryzen and Windows 7 myself

Just bought this. Did I fuck up ?

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIABY76NV9847

>browns
yes

it was either that or the CLICKY-CLICKY-CLACK-CLACK blues
What's wrong with browns ?

if you wanted something tactile then dont go with browns; they feel like dirty reds and the bump is so vague its as if it isnt there at all

it was 50$ tho

shoulda gone with the blues then man

speaking of drivers AMD has dun goof'd and broken DX9 games on their official driver
the only support answer is "we are not going to spend valuable engineering time supporting 7 year old games"
guess they really need that engineering time to make better cryptomining drivers

>dat R4E
On a related note, a couple of threads ago two friendly anons convinced me there's still plenty of life left my X79/3930K.
Looking for more suggestions at smaller cases that'll fit my 12x10.7" MB and support a CPU custom water loop. At the moment I have the Obsidian 450D and Carbide 400C on my radar. I'd consider a Fractal R5 but it's just a tad more than I want to spend and a little bit longer too.

How the fuck do i remove these standoffs?

Its a corsai 270R.

It's corsair, which means you dont :\

Pliers

Planning to build this: pcpartpicker.com/list/vCYqYr
Need a gpu and have ~300$ to buy it, any specific card? I have a 720p monitor.

Lads, what do we do? People are literally abandoning /ourcompany/

n00b question: why would smartphones effect the price of PC RAM?

>the CLICKY-CLICKY-CLACK-CLACK blues
You don't like the CLICKY-CLACK-CLACK-CLACK? I love the CLICKY-CLACK-CLACK-CKLACK so much I typed out CLICKY-CLACK-CLACK-CLACK three times for this post.

I love Ryzen but AMD really soured me on the GPU front this past year, half of the year the only budget cards available were the 550/560. They need a Ryzen type revitalization on that front.

I'm still on a 720p monitor too, with a RX480. The monitor was a gift and I hate throwing shit out before it dies. Maybe a 1060 6gb? Should be around that price and pair well with the 1600.

Thoughts?
Used for rendering vidoes and very light gaming.
My current 2600k/old SSD shits the Bed with my videos.
Ryzwn doesn't OC for shit so that's out.

It doesn't, manufacturer intentionally reduce the overall output as to get a higher market price, and therefore a higher profit.
This is not likely to change until Chinese gets theirs production ready, which may be a few decades later as their latest trial run gets exactly 0% yield.

RavenRidge (AM4 APU) drops during the first quarter of 2018 and then Zen+ ie new Vega/Ryzen. Zen2 will be next year.

The first batch of Raven Ridges were the SOC varient ie mobile APU in the HP Envy for example.

So my computer is about 10 years old, built around the time when crysis came out

I want to get into virtual reality and get a htc vive but I'm not too sure if I should just buy a pre-built computer at this point or if I could salvage any of this and just upgrade my graphics card, ram and cpu. I don't know if my motherboard could even handle it.

I found this on overclockers uk which seems like a good price but is this even up to par? Should I just wait for gen 2 headsets/controllers and upgrade then?
imgur.com/a/pZAe1

Would help if I attached a picture

Go Ryzen you fucking moron, don't be a corelet.

Redo everything.
Go to logicalincrements and pick something at around the $1400 mark.

fuck off pajeet

An over clocked 8700k beats a 1800x in heavy workloads so that's why I chose it.
And I can't run 4500mhz+ ram with ryzen.

Those are the 2 deal breakers for me.
Maybe ryzen+ will fit that.

>tfw fell for the 16GB meme

When's Volta?

>pc order 'finalised'
>ships tomorrow morning
>should arrive wednesday if I'm lucky
god I can almost taste it

is it worth it at all to buy an i7 4790k?

i dont want to deal with ddr4 memory prices

DDR3 ain't much better.

If I have a R3 1200, is the performance increase with 3200MHz RAM worth an extra 50€ over 2400MHz RAM?

I already have 16 gigs of ddr3 in my [spoiler]955be[/spoiler] pc and I'm desperate to upgrade

I'd say probably not.

Fax me your RAM and I'll fax you 40 dollarydoos.

Considering buying pic related
Im in love with this mobo, but for just browsing Sup Forums and some light gaming i wouldn't need a high end processor

How stupid am i for wanting this?

Absolute waste of money. Good B350 boards are available for 60-70€.

Looks pretty tho
Dont you want to have a boner when you look inside your case?

If you have the money to waste...
It's really unnecessary though, the money would be far better spent for an R5, you really don't need an X370 board unless you want to use two GPUs.

What brands do you recommend for an external hard drive? Only need a 250GB one really.

>Look up it's price
>Its 280$
>Same price as i5 8600k
I hate bing europoor.

I'm very much aware of that fact
Im proud to see my build, but my motherboard is very boring and stock

i like the aesthetics of the Taichi a lot, hency why im looking to buy it

It's not over the top gamer crap, its just a very nice looking mobo

>Does it make any sense to get 7-8th gen intel cpu if I'm mostly play Dota 2 and Rocket League?
>What GPU will be enough to play these titles for years to come at 100+ fps in 1080p? (make it as cheap as possible)
Take into account that I am a slav so I don't earn euros and 100€ is not that small an amount of money.

Suggest me a good 550-650W PSU.
I was thinking of buying one of those:
Bitfenix Whisper 650W
Super Flower Platinum King 550W

Max budget: 110 europoor moneys

I want a reliable and long lasting PSU to replace my shitty VS 550.

Superflower make some of the best psu's money can buy as long as its not their bottom barrel stuff (which is merely okay). My advice? Try and get one of their leadex series psu's as thats where their famed quality really starts and that shouldn't be out of reach for your budget.

Fun fact: it should be pronounced super flow-er (as in, flows such as water does) and not flower.

You're better off buying a lower end computer that can do what you want now, and then buying a new GPU in the future when it no longer does what you want it to do.
Unless you have a pressing need for more cores, I'd recommend a low-end Intel pentium 2core thing. If you aren't a cuck though an R3 is a good choice.
As for GPU, I'd go for a 1050ti. It'll do.
Then get the 1450ti whenever that comes out.

110 EU dollars is enough to buy an actual good PSU, mate. Like the TX750M. It's 750W but it's excellent value.
Or check jonnyguru for something great in the 550W range.

Should I buy pic related? Is there a huge difference between that and the platinum one (same wattage).

>inb4 phoneposting

>ASRock z370 Pro 4
>Gigabyte z370 HD3
>MSI z370 A Pro
Which one should I get?

Thats a damn fine psu.

> Is there a huge difference between that and the platinum one

That is for you to decide - this is the point where (as user says ) you go read jonnyguru and other sites for research. The leadex psu is better but is it worth the difference to you? I can't says as I don't know your usage case, existing parts, upgrade plans etc etc.

Personally I rate my psu and the 2nd most important part of a PC build.

Not sure if this is the right thread, I'm looking for a dual monitor stand, any recommended brands/personal recommendations?

Ideally something with on the fly adjustment where I don't have to unscrew shit every time I want to re-position my monitors.

I'm a bit retarded, so a little help here.

Is there any way to get lower GPU temperatures at the expense of performance? As in, I may lose 10-20 FPS but at least the thing isn't melting while playing almost anything that came out in 2015 onwards?

There's a helicopter in my room when I try to run many games for more than 20 minutes and I'll admit it's getting irritating. It's a 280X.

I have a VS 550 bc I started off with a 3rd gen Pentium and I now have a 6600k with a RX 480. Do you know if there is any significant build quality differences between the 2 units? Is this one gonna last me like 8+ years or something?

Clean the card and consider changing the thermal paste. You can also get an aftermarket cooler if you fucked up and bought a stock cooler 280X.

I bought a used G3220 3 years ago but unfortunately had to sell that whole build because of financial issues that won't happen again now that I have a job.
Yeah I thought as much, probably gonna go for a R3 1200 since I don't care about OC

Problem with aftermarket coolers is that I checked and they're pricey enough that I might as well just buy a new GPU to be honest. Did the first two very recently. Thanks anyways.

>finishing up my build list
>should be pumped but not feeling that great because its going to take 3 fucking weeks for some of the parts to get to Australia
fucking AMAZON

It's okay, you'll still feel empty inside after your PC is here.

The anticipation is the best part.

Then try searching for undervolting settings on Google, and prey that the temps will drop.

You can always try doing making a ghetto cooler by removing the hairdryer and putting on 2 noctua fans if its possible. It should fix your problem.

You'll have to do your own research user. I personally boiught a 750w leadex gold psu as (at the time) it was powering a 4.7ghz 8 core vishera chip and a massively overclocked 290x (when I say massively - I mean 1200mhz core which is way beyond typical clocks that chip hits) and as such bought a quality psu that 1) can handle that and 2) handle it all day every day.

I asked just in case you knew anything about that particular unit.

Gonna do my research when I get back home. Thanks user.

>Budget: $1200 AUD
>Will be used for: web browsing, illustrator, games in 1080p (AAA titles would be nice, but I know my budget is too small, so it's okay if I can't max them out)
How do I get the most out of this amount of money? Should I try hunting for used parts or am I better off just buying new? I'm in perth so gumtree listings are severely limited.
Also as latest gen entry level hardware better than older high end stuff?

Does Intel speedstep decrease performance? I know it's only meant to function when I'm doing non-CPU intensive tasks, but it feels like my frequency never goes above 4GHz+.

Do most of you just turn it off permanently?

wait for Ryzen refresh

Fuck off with this shit. Real questions only, kid.

How bad would a i3-2100 bottleneck a gtx 1060 6gb when trying to play recently released games? I'm guessing pretty bad but i'm not sure.