2018 Programming Language

Which programming language(s) will you be using in 2018?

html

Python, I haven't used it much before.

Probably more C#. It does a hell of a good job paying the bills.

Go. Its the only relevant language.

arm assembly

I fell into a C# job. They hired me as a Java developer, then the day I started, they were like "surprise! we decided on C# instead!"
I like the features of the language - it has a lot of what I wish Java had.
I really dislike the conventions, though. I can't tell the difference between a method and a class by just reading the code - like you can with Java.

The same language they'll be using in 2028...

[spoiler]Java[/spoiler]

Java

Still C++.

Fortran, C, COBOL, Forth, PostScript

I have decided to use GNU/Linux as my daily OS on my laptop, I feel comfortable in C# for desktop, but what should I learn for G+L?

Python sucks
Pearl is gay
Java is Java

I dunno boys, what do?

Is this even a question?
C my bro.

Haskell, like last year.

tcl, probably some python, and we'll see what else I find time for

How is Tcl? I've seen some neat Tcl/Tk applications, is it worth learning?

C, C++. Python, Java, and hopefully a new language!

It's definitely useful if you need to get something done fast.

Python, Angular, C#, and now all these people mentioning Rust have me wanting to look into it.

Same as you, I'm currently learning about sockets in C
Will try to learn C++, wish me luck m8s, I'm scared of it :(

lol babby

c++ is the greatest programming language

Perl and C++ on the side

C++
Probably get back into some data analysis and webscraping with python aswell.

Python because I don't have time to learn a million obscure names. And if I need something there's usualy an 'import whatever as wtv' that I can use.

But really, coding is a waste of time, we need to let computers do the coding generation from uml diagrams. Like someone needs to apply all the new machine learning bullshit to this and save us from having to relearn the same crap over and over.

All the job postings in my city seem to be c#, but I've been avoiding it due to MS.

Is there a book you can recommend?

I like some of Java's stricter conventions, especially when it comes to class/file names. C# is more about good vs bad practices, so it takes just one brainlet to make a project unreadable.

C++

C++
HTML5
CSS3

I'll try and finish my C++ book in the next 6 months and start projects then I'll probably look for understanding web shit. I don't even think I can understand half the shit I do in C++ if I finished the book so maybe I'll just go C++ full time

JavaScript

Go, C, asm, JS, Python, not C++

Java, Python, C++

Kill me, please

>Pearl

Swift

only bash.
it's turing complete so you literally do not need anything else.

I really want to do an iOS project because I really like Swift. However I’ve already got a six month RoR/React project booked and after that I should be doing a long Java project on the back-end.

Rust, Haskell, C++, Python.
In this order.

Might go for Clojure if I find Rust unworthy, but that is not the case as of now.

Kotlin

>but I've been avoiding it due to MS
There's really no reason to.

I'm going to learn F# myself.

I'd say unless you're doing embedded scripting or work in the VLSI industry, no. With that said, you can do some pretty wild things with Tcl. Its flexibility is akin to lisp's, but sadly (?) it's kind of dying out.
What would you want to use it for? graphical applications? glue scripts? file / text processing? it isn't bad at any of them, but it has been replaced.

Common Lisp