Last thread: →

If you can't be bothered to:
>search it
>lurk moar
>git gud

Then this thread is for you!
Post your simple/stupid questions here, ONCE
You are NOT entitled to an answer.

Please redirect or ignore anybody asking stupid questions outside this thread.

Protip: If you can't tell if your question deserves it's own thread, its very likely it doesn't. Post it here, we'll let you know.

I keep getting this error when trying to run a game in wine with options:
err:mscoree:CLRRuntimeInfo_GetRuntimeHost Wine Mono is not installed

Wat do?

Other urls found in this thread:

rodsbooks.com/gdisk/booting.html
support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2670838/platform-update-for-windows-7-sp1-and-windows-server-2008-r2-sp1
newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Description=laptop cooling pad&Submit=ENE
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

is anyone else having random stuttering with the latest AMD GPU drivers?

why is shadertoy so fucked up? i mean, they're running obnoxiously big fragment shaders, but i have an AMD HD6970, should be able to handle webgl you would think?

if i set a facebook picture or post to private so only i can see it, will it keep the comments and likes so they'll show up again if i set them back to public/friends-only?

install wine-mono

Best torrent client? Been using utorrent.

This thread's kinda dead.

Questions, though:

>Can you load both a 32bit and 64bit version of Linux/Ubuntu on a 8gb flash drive? Or is it one or the other?
>How bad an idea is it to install two different graphic cards in a PC?
>Is it possible to recover data from a 32gb flash drive without having to format it?
>what about a 500gb 2.5" HDD that crashes windows explorer when you try to load it?
>any way of doing it with Spinrite or do I need something else? Maybe even repair them both to working condition instead of having to buy replacements?
>is it possible to replace the hard drive of a ASUS MiniTransformer?
>what's the best desktop wifi card to buy?
>how're you doing this new years day?

rtorrent

what is the best resource to learn python?

I know some C / C++ / Java already

If I have a program licensed under the FreeBSD (2 clause BSD) license or the Apache license 2.0, can I use a library licensed under the GPL?

By use, I mean link.

MalwareBytes caught a virus/malware .exe before it could execute. It quarantined the file and I deleted it. I also ran a scan with rkill and it didn't find anything odd. Should I do anything else or am I good?

You should be good, but make sure that you stay alert and pay attention to any behavior that seems out of the ordinary.

Anyone here have experience booting Linux on a GPT disk on a BIOS-based computer?

I am trying to boot the newest version of Ubuntu that is on a 4TB GPT HDD (in 3 partitions) on a BIOS-based computer. It is not going well; I end up at the grub rescue> prompt. Any advice or sharing of experience would be appreciated.

"Many Internet sources, particularly discussion groups, assert that it's impossible to boot a GPT disk on a BIOS computer. This is nonsense—or at least, it's true only of certain OSes" --rodsbooks.com/gdisk/booting.html

>Can you load both a 32bit and 64bit version of Linux/Ubuntu on a 8gb flash drive? Or is it one or the other?
yes, you can do that
>How bad an idea is it to install two different graphic cards in a PC?
you can so that safely as well
>Is it possible to recover data from a 32gb flash drive without having to format it?
you shouldn't format a drive you intend to do data recovery on
>what about a 500gb 2.5" HDD that crashes windows explorer when you try to load it?
don't use windows
>any way of doing it with Spinrite or do I need something else? Maybe even repair them both to working condition instead of having to buy replacements?
depends on what the issue is, if it's a physical issue, it's likely unrepairable. make an image using ddrescue to get as much as you can, then replace the disk
>is it possible to replace the hard drive of a ASUS MiniTransformer?
it doesn't contain a hard drive, you probably can replace the eMMC, though i'm not sure how easy it'd be
>what's the best desktop wifi card to buy?
idk, something with 802.11AC i guess, i don't really use wifi much, nor do i use it on my desktop
>how're you doing this new years day?
ok, i guess

i set them to private now and it seems it keeps the likes and comments

What is an image tool that saved the target media to the source not in iso format but actually keeps the entire file structure (including hidden/system folders) intact? Talking a standard win 7 C system partition here, i basically just want a simple carbon coby to the target disk but with drag and drop it would likely miss half of the shit due to folders being hidden and whatnot so i'm searching for a software solution instead

how do you do arrays through pointers, I've heard this was possible

as in like, if I want to make a size 2 "array" of doubles. I can malloc(16) and it would be a pointer to 16 bytes of memory, 16 because that's 2*8. so is there a way to fill up the first 8 bytes with the double I want as the first "element in the array" and the last 8 bytes with the other double I want as the second element?

and how do you extract what's in a certain portion of a pointer? like to get the first element of my "array" I'd somehow extract the first 8 bytes and get an actual number (somehow)

this is stupid but thanks if there are any answers

Anyone have a good tutorial on using cmake? I just want to know how to write a file to use cmake to generate a makefile and all I can find are tutorials on how to compile projects that use cmake.

You can Google this very easily. Below are some examples of creating, accessing, and deleting pointers in C.
int arraySize = 2;
double* array = malloc(arraySize*sizeof(double));
*array = 3.14; //or array[0] = 3.14;
*(array +1) = 2.72;// or array[1] = 2.72;

double a = *array;
//a has a value of 3.14
//or
memcpy(&a, array+1, sizeof(double));
//a has a value of 2.72
//you might have to cast the pointers to void pointers (void*)

//Don't forget to free your pointers!
free(array);

What is a good antivirus nowadays?

Is there a better file archiver for OSX than Keka?

tar

how to install gentoo on google cloud?

Okay Sup Forums so I did the fatal mistake of letting my phone hit 0% battery and now it's impossible to charge. It's not that it doesn't charge but rather it's stuck in an infinite loop of
>recognizes it's plugged in
>starts itself
>bootloader comes on
>battery loading screen comes on
>realizes battery is at 0%
>shuts down

It's been like this for half an hour now... is there any way to disable the phone from automatically powering itself on?

i had the same problem and solved it by plugging it into a computer (turned on) instead of a normal charger

can somebody explain to me how the ebay refund system works? Do I need paypal to get my money back?
>request refund
>print out the shipping label at library or wherever
>tape the label to the package and then take it to the post office
is that all there is to it? anything I'm missing or that I should know about?

why do these 2 recently downloaded files have such screwy dates?

Entropy (top left)

also, if its a laptop I'm returning, should I run a system restore beforehand? or will they handle that themselves?

ebay is just a middleman between you and the seller
this isn't gonna be some consistent central ebay policy
ask the actual guy you're returning it to

I'm just a bit concerned because the window on ebay is "you have to ship it back within 5 days of requesting the refund" so I don't wanna request it and end up wasting a few of those days going back in forth in messages because something was unclear with the label, if that makes sense

>girl penis

yep
it's funny cuz Sup Forums

How do you go from programming tutorials to further develop yourself in that field? Should I constantly do projects after finishing codeacademy courses or do I go to other programming websites to learn from?

some download managers (like downthemall for old firefox and also youtube-dl) set the file's date to whatever the server optionally sends as the file's "last modified" date, i don't like it though since it makes it hard to find recently downloaded files by sorting

archives like zips also preserve modification dates for files inside them if you've extracted them from one

these were both single download a day or two apart. just regular save image as in chrome. tried it in edge too, same thing

Is there any sort of decently priced 'mixer' type thing that can sit on my desk (or be mounted underneath) that I can plug my 3.5mm headphone and mic cable into and like individually adjust the volume and what not?

I really just want it because plugging the cables directly to my computer now is in a really awkward position and putting stress on the cable. The only things I've seen that match what I'm looking for are amps but they're usually really expensive and I'm not even sure if you can plug a mic into them as well?

Could just buy as male-female 3.5mm extender and have them come from the back of the PC but seems like a really inelegant solution

sounds more like you just want two volume controls, not a mixer

i don't know, maybe windows 10 reads the date from some metadata field in the file?

i tried saving some images from dilbert.com but they're in .gif format with no metadata, the response doesn't include a "Last-Modified" date and i'm on windows 7

Ahhhhhh yep that does look like what I'd need. Would plugging a mic into one of them control the volume of the mic then?

yes, it would
it's just a potentiometer

interesting
Scott Adams can be a clever dude.
He may have some fetish with 1/4/2012 and stuck it into the files he uploads.

could be the "photo taken" date in the exif data
check an exif/photo viewer

What terminal should I use?

Gnome/fedora

I got my .Xresources for xterm but gnome-terminal or something else might be better.

Can locally installed software in /opt/ add and remove files in its own directory even if it's not run with root privileges?

Might be a stupid question but what can I search up to find them? I've tried "desktop volume controller" and not many things are coming up besides a couple obscure looking ebay listings

i used things like "volume" "controller" "inline" "3.5mm", etc
i found some cheap as fuck inline cable type ones
the few suitable box type ones i've found aren't terribly cheap, there's probably just better search terms than what i used

qBittorrent if you're on Windows, otherwise

Is it stupid to put symlinks in /usr/local/bin to executables in my home directory?

As you posted that I legitimately just found another version of the volbox that looks like it'll do the trick. Will probably just mount a couple of these underneath my desk and it should be perfect; thanks for the tips my man

>Adobe After Effects CC 2018

How do I change my OpenGL to my graphics card? The GPU gets around 10% activity while my CPU is blasting at a constant 100% with slowdowns.

Already added my GPU to the compatibility list in the notepad in the After Effects folder.

Updated the drivers and set my GPU physics to the GPU.

(The GPU works at 100% while playing games like World of Warcraft)

Might just tinker up my own though to be completely honest, doubt it would be too hard and could make it exactly to how I want it

np
you could also consider making one yourself as a simple electronics project
just need;
- a plastic box
- two potentiometers (one "stereo")
- four 3.5mm jacks (two stereo), two pairs of in/out
- some wire
- soldering iron/solder if you don't already have one
they're really just plugs wired together with a pot in between them, nothing special

(you can use a stereo pot/plugs with a mic as well, just won't make a difference since a single mic is mono)

can i play vr chat on a thinkpad x230 ?? i just want to try it out

One of the backlights on my monitor has died, it's a Dell. Can I open it up and replace it? Where do I find the model of the LED and where do I order another one?

Homebanking

So i installed aqbanking-cli and try using it with

aqbanking-cli request -b -a -n

but it throws errors in my face and no suggestions how or what to fix
Is there some additonal setup i need to do first?

Its not an issue with my bank (KSK, germany) because with the Subsembly FinTS API it worked perfectly out of the box. Except that its some C# windows abomination with no official linux package.

What brands do you recommend for an external hard drive? Only need a 250GB one really.

I'm looking at a couple of 2 in 1s for illustration. They're almost the same spec-wise, except for the CPU. One's a i7 (5th Gen) 6500U,and the other is an i5 7200U (7th gen).
Any idea which would be best here for some smooth Photoshop/illustrative work? Light gaming would be a plus, as far as I know 6500U has an okay-ish integrated GPU.

Any suggestions?

Any idea why I can't change the connection specific dns suffix?

> OS
Win10
> Attempts
Changing router DNS
Changing computer primary and secondary DNS
Adding a primary/secondary to the "Advanced TCP/IP Settings" for the adapter

> Unsure
There is an area to place your own suffixes, but I'm not sure what to put there

[root@archiso /]# grub-install /dev/sda
Installing for x86_64-efi platform.
grub-install: error: cannot find EFI directory.

What do?

>/sqt/ - Smug Qt thread

Installed new Windows on a new computer, plugged my old hard drive in so I could still access the files.
It works, but whenever I navigate to a new directory on that drive, it takes ages. Like, 5 minutes at least. After that, I can go to and from the directory no problem. Additionally, every folder shows up as empty on mouseover unless I've done the aforementioned initial wait on it before.

Whatever it's doing, is there a way to turn it off? Or if it's necessary, is there a way to make it do it all at once so I don't have to be there to open every single directory on the drive myself?

have you made an EF00 type fat32 partition, and mounted it on /boot?

You might could try adding the drive to the indexing options menu. Just open start, search for indexing options, and add the drive. You'll have to restart the service afterwards.

pls halp

I bought a new laptop with i5-7200, Nvidia 940mx, 4gb ram and it's running on Windows 10.

My question is, why is it slower compared to my old laptop with some ancient i3 cpu running on Windows 7? It can't even open more than 10 browser tabs without being laggy as fuck, particularly after the latest windows update. Meanwhile, my old laptop can handle like 30+ tabs just fine.

Could someone here please post the picture showing the comparison between the amounts of NVIDIA packages and folders drivers you can delete and leave out only the necessary? I'm sure any of you know what I'm talking about.

Working on it

Is there no free general mail (eg I can use cockli and student mail) client for android? They all seem dedicated to a single provider

Post Task manager Performance tab with 10 tabs open

I forgot to say "free as in freedom"

Jeez user how can you live with dial up DL speeds. Check if there's an install.sh or start.sh or something similar, then chmod +x and ./

I can help more after the tar downloads, but that'll be another hour or 2.

i thought it came with one

Please wait while it take like 5 minutes to even open my browser.

what's the best non-botnet (or at least the least botnet) cloud storage service?

>Check if there's an install.sh or start.sh
theres no install.sh or start.sh or any .sh file.

i found a .info file, it tells me to "Unpack, Run hoi4 from game dir", but i cant move the folder to /usr/games

So I recently got in PC gaming and my CPU temp goes up to 80ish

How bad is this?

Here it is. Goddamn even the task manager was not responding for a while just now. Not to mention the whole 5 minutes the cortana shit took to find and open paint.

I have a sloppily pirated version of Windows 7
Trying to install the Oculus software it says I need the KB2670838 and KB3033929 hotfixes. Those aren't in the windows update list and I assume my piracy is why.
Do I need to bite the bullet and deal with setting up win10 or is there another option I'm not seeing?

ffs what are you writing to disk at 100%?

>disc usage 100%
Looks like your problem is that Windows 10 is crap.

Best raid arrary just for pirated movies/TV shows? It'll be 15+ tb

have you run something like
> rar x act-hearsofironivtfvlinux.rar
which unpacks the rar file in the same directory. You'll want to cd into the unpacked directory and run hoi4. I've been trying, and it tells me the hoi4 doesn't exist, even though it tab completes.

I don't know man. I literally just opened this laptop.

Go to the processes tab and sort by disk

Try disabling most telemetry options in settings. Looks like it's sending your entire disk to their servers. Also use a lighter weight internet browser. I'd suggest FF, but quantum broke a bunch of shit.

>Thinks you have to use windows update

support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2670838/platform-update-for-windows-7-sp1-and-windows-server-2008-r2-sp1

I feel like it should give me a little more information than this

Probably covered in another update.

Ya I think I have the 267 update, looking for the 303 one now. Thanks user, hope this works.

On a laptop it's barely alright, otherwise very bad.

Look into newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Description=laptop cooling pad&Submit=ENE

Well this just creates more questions

Alright I've done that and disk usage has certainly decreased though I don't know yet if overall performance has improved for good or it will revert to the previous state after this. Thanks.

How can I block the IDM(cracked) pop up? It appears every 10 minutes or so when it's active.