What is the recommend beginner GNU/Linux distro in 2018?

What is the recommend beginner GNU/Linux distro in 2018?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/linuxmint/mintupdate/blob/master/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/rules
cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/daily-builds/sid_d-i/20180101-3/amd64/iso-cd/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Gentoo.

Same as last year faggot.

Ubuntu, or Linux Mint if you prefer a more traditional UI.

Ubuntu Mate

>beginner gnu/Linux
There is none
Just jump into the deep end and flood stackoverflow with your problems

>install Arch
>install desktop environment of your choice
done

Mint
Xubuntu / Ubuntu Mate
Zorin
Manjaro
ElementaryOS
openSUSE
>just pick one

>[2 weeks later...]
>Huh! that was easy!

Opensuse is probably the worst of them especially on Tumbleweed, so many driver issues and shit happening, it's better to just use something Debian based

> mint
Why people keep recommending this pos?

Because it's easy to install and cinnamon closely resembles the windows interface.

Name something wrong with Mint then? It has a good UI and just works, not everyone wants to run everything from the terminal in their riced void linux with i3

Ubuntu is coming with Gnome as of the upcoming 2018 release. This is literally all I ever wanted. Gnome is the only DE that works on my laptop (high resolution + touch screen) and ubuntu has a better support database for a beginner like me.
I've been using fedora so far but it's a bit of a pain in the ass sometimes.

Debian, because it just werks.

Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, GNOME faggotry is gay

Manjaro

it just werks

slackware

Seconded.

Linux From Scratch
Linux will be easy when you finish installing it.

Windows 10 with Linux subsystem. It has the comfyness of windows and all the linux command line tools I could ever need.

Solus

asks a user if they want safe or unsafe updates. Most new people will choose safe and there by security patches they didn't test themselves gets marked as unsafe and not installed on users computers.
Which is backwards really. Seecurity updates should always be installed by default not gated on someone else saying they are safe.

WSL isn't Linux, pleb.

What's that distro with the beautiful default filesystem layout?

The one that all linux distros should adopt but don't because they're dumb

GoboLinux?

no one
linux distros were always epic fails when it comes to GUI mostly because of retarded X11

freetards will never learn
i can come 20 years later and still be confident to find screen tearing ffs

Should be called GNU/Linux From Scratch, since you basically build a GNU system. Also, it doesn't really teach you any more about Linux than how to download and compile it.

yeah that's it

It uses Ubuntu LTS as a base, so it's stable, and it's easy to find tutorials and third party packages.
Good default package selection for most users.
Supports most hardware out of the box, even if it needs proprietary drivers.
Pretty long support lifecycle.
Cinnamon is comfy if you grew up with Windows.
It takes about 10 minutes and a few mouseclicks to install.

Sup Forums likes to shit on Mint for nerd cred, but no one can ever name anything specific they dislike about it. The few legitimate complaints are usually things that also affect other distros, like the Nvidia drivers being shit.

GNU = trash
install sta.li or alpine

You know, we have always people asking about screen tearing at /fglt/ and it's an easy fix and it makes fun to see happy anons. Why didn't you ask for help?

because it just werks, unlike all those autist distros like Arch, etc.

Normies being silly as usual.

>just works

I still have it on my shitty laptop, it has died 3 times making me need to reinstall it.
It's also a bother doing anything at all on it.

The point about CVEs is fair criticism, but keep in mind that most of Mint's software stack is literally Ubuntu, which does issue CVEs. And remember that very few users check for CVEs manually, or know what to do if they're affected and there is no patch yet. CVEs are more for the benefit of developers and sysadmins than end users.

Security updates potentially being held back would be a problem, but has that ever actually happened? Because I've never seen anyone post examples.

Namespace hijacking is annoying for maintainers, but the cockblocked packages are so obscure that most users don't use them in the first place, and it's always possible to repackage them with a different name.

The patent-encumbered codecs are included because most users want them. The installer warns that it's the user's responsibility to check whether they're legal to install in their country, so if anyone thinks they might be at risk of a lawsuit, they can just untick that box.

Gentoo is the only usable GNU/Linux distro

manjaro

github.com/linuxmint/mintupdate/blob/master/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/rules

Two options. You either install something like Ubuntu/Mint that does absolutely everything for you and isn't too dissimilar from Windows so you can get your first experience over with quickly, or you go with something like Arch/Gentoo, jump into the deep end, and actually learn how things work.

That's the file that assigns stability levels to packages. What's your point?

If you have your update policy set to "update everything", none of those packages are held back. The updater clearly explains what each policy entails, so if a user opts out of certain security updates in the name of stability, that's their own informed choice.

I was referring to the guy's claim in the image that the Mint devs blacklist packages from upgrades. The levels system is not a blacklist.

Or the third option: first get your feet wet with Ubuntu/Mint, then play with Arch/Gentoo in a VM to learn more without breaking your main system.

> Gentoo
> how things work
But Gentoo also have set of gentoo-specific tools (Portage) to provide us abstractions which is not unified.

PCLinuxOS

Worst distro name ever.

I think is good for normies.

here is a real question
which one is the most secure one?

SELinux. It's made by the NSA.

Dragora, i guess.

cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/daily-builds/sid_d-i/20180101-3/amd64/iso-cd/

It doesn't matter what the beginner friendly operating system is, the only thing that matters is that my arch is far superior to anything you have.

mint uses lightdm by default now, mdm is optional as it always has been.
apt policy [package]
apt install [package]:[version]
Mixing repos may be a frankendebian problem for debian, but the mint distros maintainers haven't had a problem with it so far.
If that's the case, seems like more of a reason to not use debian.
IS the ubuntu cve page really that hard to find? You can find it by clicking any cve listing on the changelog tab of the mint update applet.

open
source

QubesOS.