Boomer here, what are the benefits of letting unregulated programmers run wild...

Boomer here, what are the benefits of letting unregulated programmers run wild? Wouldn't devs be more accountable if they could only legally write code with a license? Writing malicious code can be more dangerous than crashing a car now, it's time for licensing.

1) that's an horrible idea
and 2) you would need a dystopian nightmare to implement it

That's like regulating free speech. If you think criminals don't learn on their own then I don't know how to help you.

>that's a horrible idea
Tell me why, objectively.

nice snek

You don't have a Sup Forums posting license.
$400 fine.

All you need to program is a computer and a keyboard. It'd be like regulating literature, or painting.
Imagine for a second what kind of government you'd need to enforce something like that. Do you want to live under that? Your parents literally risked their lives to stop hitler and you're trying to resurrect him.

While we're at it, let's ban military-grade encryption too.

The joke being that there are only two types of encryption: Encryption that works, and encryption that doesn't.

Journalists would probably held more accountable if you could only write news with a license.

Unfortunately for boomers, the internet got invented, and people in many countries can post pretty much any textual information on it without any restriction whatsoever.

You're trying to regulate knowledge instead of something physical.
And even if you want to regulate for example compilers, we're still talking about the police force knocking door on door and checking if your machine have a code compiler.

Also you basically kill the programming market entirely, as no one will be allowed to study programming in first place.

>make laws to restrict who can write software
>to prevent people writing software that performs illegal tasks
why not also restrict who can buy movies? y'know, to prevent piracy?
or restrict who can buy food, to prevent obesity?

even if you could outright ban compilers
you can always just write a new compiler

looks like we're finally here, boys
home computers started with the point being to write and run your own software
now we have people who wonder why we should even be allowed to do so anymore

normies are too retarded to even begin to appreciate how and why to regulate anything

literally politicians just need to fuck off because they are too dumb

Why should we let unregulated programmers run wild? Because it's good for business, and business is good for the economy.

like I need even more gov bossing me around.
No thanks. Also what is it with boomers and the regulate everything mentality?

>using a gif without the permission of the creator
off to the gulags with you

At the rate this industry is going, it might come to that. Governments will start to regulate programmers just like other fields are regulated. You will need to take tests to get a license to program and you can only use government approved programming languages.

by the time any institute catches up on a new tech trend, produces studying and testing material and has enough experts to teach it, it will already be obsolete.

They might require a cs degree (like they do already) which doesn't tell a lot about a grads programming skills either.

Programming is done by a person writing instructions in English into a text file.
The syntax is a bit different from English, eg they might end a sentence with ';' instead of '.' so there are no confusion about decimal places and end of sentence.
The syntax is often reffered to as a programming language.
When they have written the file, they run it through a program on their computer to translate it into something more meaningful for a computer.
The result is what we call a program.

Which part of that should be considered illegal?

Now as for licensing programmers, this is already done in a few places.
IPhone users can only install "licensed' applications from the app store.
Android have a protection setting that makes this behaviour default as well but it is optional.

The result of this have just moved the problem. A large portion of malicious software is now not inside applications you install but rather attacks from websites you visit.
Advertisement is the most typical form of malware. It is constructed in a way where you visit site A and then it pulls we advertising from a site B which then infect the user.
This used to be illegal, but was considered anti competitive, so now you can basically do anything to people as long as you make money off it.
If that sounds sick to you, it probably is.
Maybe we should make a license for advertisers?
Eg have a whitelist of "approved" companies that are allowed to advertise.
This way, they have to bribe congress directly for allowing cokes-cola to advertise even though nobody have ever heard of them.
The code if any should also be reviewed by Congress so only approved code can be submitted.

I think he meant regulating only commercial software, no

I'm only 25 but I approve of the idea. Everyone who wants to do programming, systems administration or web development would have to pass a basics course covering fundamental programming concepts, best standards&practices and data security. Also people who would knowingly engage in fraud or hacking would have their licenses pulled for criminal behavior.

There is nothing wrong with this and anyone who works in software would see a massive pay increase if they did this.

Clearly PCs themselves should be regulated. Only purchasable by businesses, government or educational institutions in quantities of around 30+
For home use you literally have no need for anything more than an iPad and Xbox, it should completely eliminate the social cancer that is piracy and curtail the funding of many pirate organisations.

I mean, obviously theres a lot of PCs in the wild that will have to be delt with, perhaps Intel, MS and Apple can be convinced to utilise their kill switches and the deployment of a new secure OS that only works in approved institutions.

Can't see any major loss here, who even pays more than $300 for a computer, and you replace them every year anyway. iPads are perfectly functional and in the same financial bracket as a good PC. It's a totally natural transition.

Funny thing is, i seem to remember that in Ghost in the shell that programmers (at least, perhaps of a certain grade, say A-class Wizard or Sorcerer) were considered national assets and were unable to migrate with ease.

They already tried this with Ada. It made the programmers who weren't granted an exception to the rule ferrociously uncompetitive.

lol. no

You joke about that but I could see it. In 2050 "enterprise" style custom PCs would have to be licensed and registered as a car would be, and they'd have to conform to certain standards (max CPU power capped, network surveillance device, anti-tamper devices etc). Meanwhile most PCs and consumer phones would have become dumb terminals by this point, all their data stored in a centralized database owned by AT&T. Your only websites would be AT&T ones, which would be seamlessly integrated with their text, phone and TV services.

You'll see some of this when 5G is rolled out next year, and wired broadband customers are pushed to accept a wireless network modem.

>CRIMINALS ARE DOING A THING THAT'S ILLEGAL
>MAKE A LAW SO THAT ANYONE DOING THE THING WILL BE BREAKING THE LAW
>CRIMINALS ARE NOW ILLEGALLY DOING A THING THAT'S ILLEGAL

Had a similar thought recently. The party should also regulate thoughts.

The Party could have us some scientist figure out a way to penetrate thought waves and analyze them.

The Party could then decide who has constructive, and who has destructive thoughts, and execute people accordingly.

you're severely ignorant of how to program

all you need is notepad (yes the windows program) and a compiler.

are you going to remove notepad from everybody's pc's just to censor programming?

writing a text file is simple. and getting it to a compiler is simple. good luck deleting all the freely available compilers which people have already downloaded and probably stored on cd's or dvd's for backup by now.

fuck your censorship idea

implying compilers got removed from everyones computer
do you really think that would stop people?
they'd just start to program in binary

makes no sense
if something is illegal there already is a law against it

This.

For as much shit code as I've had to fix, businesses ran on it "just fine" for years before they sent me on suicide missions to fix it all.

>Had to replicate an IHTML locally
>Had to pull our pricing engine code off a VM that was built into middleware we purchased and implemented by a contractor

This shit never ends, but the opportunity cost of forcing people to get licensed isn't worth it. Except in Texas, where you can't call yourself a software engineer without testing and licensing.

nice b8 m8 r8 8/8

The point is to only people share programs written by actual licensed professionals. Such applications would have to be signed digitally, either by the licensed individual or the company he is working for. OS developers would be forced to only run signed applications, anything else run would have to be reported to the state and limited or banned. This is a benefit to the user too, he can always know who wrote or compiled the application he is using, an actual person not some fake internet handle.

More specifically, it literally is regulating free speech.

Software source code is speech protected by the First Amendment (Junger v Daley 209 F.3d 481 (6th Cir.2000); see also Bernstein v US (9th Cir.1995) sus. en banc; see also P. Zimmermann's publication of the PGP 2.6.2 source code in a book, which resulted in the withdrawal of the ITAR regulations concerning encryption export from the US): governmental regulations preventing the publication of software source code are unconstitutional.

Well, computer going back to how they were in 1985 is how Sup Forums wants it to be anyway, get all the normies off PCs

I think safety critical system programmer still have to vetted more strictly. And resulting software has to complies with regulation. Same goes for medical doctor etc.

In case of commercial software the most fuck up you could do is financial loss/ lost of reputation etc but nothing life threatening. So it's more productive to just let them run wild and see what they came up with.

This. It'll also make entry level jobs for gatekeeper statemens' wife's sons.

The Party should also have its president personally determine on our behalf what computations deserve an executions as opposed to the ones that'll get you beaten.

For software used by the public sector, it makes perfect sense to have safety regulations and licenses, for the same reasons we have safety standards for construction work/electrical installations. It's basic infrastructure and failure can ruin lives.
Private sector should be free to hire any streetshitter/soyboy they please, though.

>you replace them every year anyway.
are you kitten me?
my cpu is 4 years old
my gpu is 6 years old
my display is 8 years old
my hdd's are 8 years old
my soundcard is 15 years old
my keyboard is 17 years old