How do we make Linux socially relevant again?

How do we make Linux socially relevant again?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DNLB7bFA_U4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

> again

The answer to your question is shilling it on pol in a way that makes chads feel the intellectual virginity that is there current os triggering there C.H.A.D. reflex causing them to feel the need to pick up each distro and pick the best without a trace of beta emotion

Linux kernel dominates servers, super computers, phones and embedded devices.

Linux on your résumé and you get the job.

I don't get a job because I put linux as my skills at my resume.

>again

It's because your employers know only a dumbass would call GNU/Linux as "linux"

install facebook on it

video games

The constant shilling efforts here have caused a jump from 2% to 3% marketshare last year.
Lets just keep it up this year as well.

> muh loonix

>not putting linux based open source programming on your resume
youtube.com/watch?v=DNLB7bFA_U4

This. But Sup Forums deliberately ignores the fact by saying it's for man children.

Even if it is for children, people who grow up with Loonix stay with Loonix. win-win.

That's unreasonable. People like games so they go to Windows. Personally I would go Linux if blizzard wrote is games for it

The question was "How do we make Linux socially relevant". Of course right now Windows are the gamers choice, but if devs release more games for Linux, people would gradually switch because of

50% growth is something to be proud of, if we keep this going, Linux will be mainstream in no time

I'll get started on the logo.

A few suggestions. Would love to hear your thoughts on em:

Stop hating on the big flatshit DEs like GNOME.
Don't get me wrong, I think they suck too, and wouldn't use them myself, but this is what GNU/Linux needs, at least in the case of the modern normie.

Ensure that every single distro includes an easy "Additional Drivers" utility like Ubuntu and Mint do. I actually wouldn't even mind having an ncurses version available on the /minimal/ distros.

GNU/Linux's relevance will increase, but not right now, because we are in the process of a transition between X and Wayland. Relevance will go up once Wayland is commonplace, as it appears to be a superior protocol with less screen tearing and legacy cruft, but I imagine things are going to be a bit rough during this transitional phase.

The biggest block is a mental one in many Windows and Mac users' minds. "If I can't use THIS program for the task, Linux just isn't acceptable." People won't jump to GIMP, because they have been using Photoshop for ages, and have it in their heads that anything else must be inferior because it isn't the same. People won't jump to Kdenlive because they already have a workflow centered around Adobe Premiere, Sony Vegas, Final Cut Pro, or whateverthefuck, and they're too stubborn to change it up (it may also be because Kdenlive is a retarded name, but whatever).
Either we need to find a way to get them out of this mindset, or we need to get these programs ported to GNU/Linux.

Quite simply, get rid of the autists and communists.

Absolutely no one wants to jump to a ship filled with monkeys screeching about god knows what, they just want something that works and blends into the background as they focus on X. Linus knows this. It's why he has no problem working with Microsoft, Google, etc. But the fanbase seems to still continue screeching on.

>get these programs ported to GNU/Linux
Yet another way is making Wine able to run this software on acceptable level.

That's another option

Hmm, I think you lurked to long on Sup Forums. In meat space all Sup Forumsentleman arel civilized people, we just come here to shitpost

No. That's a useless workaround that will always lag behind.

The real and only solution is to put actual money where your mouth is to get these products on Linux. People don't want to use X to launch Y just to do basic shit. They want the official product officially supported.
Here's the other problem with the linux community, way too fucking much emphasis is placed on workarounds. It's annoying as shit.

>In meat space all Sup Forumsentleman arel civilized people
lmaoo

Install xubuntu on your parents computer

>workarounds
Well what else is there? I don't see an "Officially official official as possibly official" version happening anytime soon.
It's either workarounds, Free Software replacements, or nothing.

>socially
- remove the nonfree blobs
- put under GPLv3

The entire kernel is made of numerous hackish solutions. From the bottom up the mindset is a about workarounds.

That would be nice from a privacy and Free Software perspective, but it won't do Linux any favors in terms of relevance. I think the Linux-libre kernel and Debian's deblobbed one are good enough.

>Well what else is there?
The solution is one that fixes a problem. A workaround is a temporary stop on the way to the solution. The problem I was highlighting was that people unfortunately pretend like the workaround IS the solution. Wine isn't a solution, it's a temporary lure (largely targeting gamers).
Supporting officially supported linux software is great, because it's a risk companies take and seems don't get rewarded much for due to the obsession with 'free'. Which is a problem obviously, if companies don't think they can make money from X, they won't bother with X.

Sure, the adobe suite is a huge behemoth, and you can't individually make them suddenly port their stuff. However, actually financially supporting alternatives that bothered is huge - it not only provides competition to force [the dominant company's] hand, but also provides more options. Look at the Mac. Sketch exists and does very well on the platform primarily because it's a great alternative to some Adobe products. Affinity products too. They're priced aggressively, officially supported, and are exclusive to the platform.
But on Linux? All you really hear about are the completely free alternatives (that typically exist on all platforms) that AT MOST will have a donation page. Look at Krita, 400 euros a month is pretty abysmal.
And I get it, free utopia where you don't have to pay for anything because everyone chips in with their own piece of code - but reality ain't like that at all yet. Video editors (for instance) don't want to have to care about bug fixing, they just want to do their job well.

PCLinuxOS, bundle everything by default, dont let normies figure how to install shit make it easy for those brainlets.

>servers
Only web servers maybe. Enterprise servers are still predominantly Windows-based. If you want a better job, learn Windows Server.

SAYYYYYYYj

Make it appealing to normies. Create more "friendly" distros that require almost no tinkering

Get it into the mainstream. Celebrity endorsement?

Make it cool to have linux.

Question then: What does Ubuntu need to achieve this (as it's generally considered the best normie option)

I personally hate it because of Unity.
Kubuntu would be okay for introducing someone to linux.

>Unity
It's going away. Replaced by GNOME

My bad, then. I don't particularly like GNOME, but that's certainly much better.

>Get it into the mainstream. Celebrity endorsement?
m8 celebrities endorse random weight loss drinks regularly, doesn't make them "cool"
you actually need something there to keep them, once they realize they can't play overwatch or pubg, or use vegas pro studio, or have to pretty much get used to terminal to fix a bunch of shit, they bail

>how do we make the manual transmission socially relevant again?
you dont, most people like automatics and dont want to learn manual
this is a good thing because that means people who love manual transmissions heavily influence any future changes

remember: normies ruin everything they touch. absolutely everything. social irreverence should be the goal and to that end so far, we're succeeding.

Recommends getting rid of [memes] while spouting [meme]s.

Most people don't give a shit about how technology works. It's honestly very sad. Most of my friends are only willing to shell out thousands to Apple for their laptops and phones. And all they do online is browse Facebook, Twitter, and Netflix. When asked why they like Apple, they say that other systems are too complicated. And did I mention that most of them think that a fucking monitor is the computer? Most kids these days have no clue how computers work and all they can do is swipe and tap on screens

I agree. It's really sad to see things like this. I remember thinking the monitor was the computer when I was like 8, but I quickly realized that wasn't the case.
And the thing is, there's all the old people who look at this new generation with their iPhone or tablet and think "wow, kids these days know so much about technology!" when in reality, they don't know shit.

Produce malware for OS X.

Another factor that is important: Computers that come with GNU/Linux.
One reason for the lack of popularity may be due to devices not shipping with it as the default OS. People buy a laptop, it has Windows. People buy a desktop prebuilt, it has Windows. Windows is the default OS on everything, except for Macs which of course have MacOS.
Perhaps more machines shipping with a Ubuntu or whatever would help gain GNU/Linux some relevance. There are companies like System76 and Purism which are entirely GNU/Linux based, and I think this is excellent. More stuff like that needs to happen. The issue there though is that these are small new niche companies that nobody outside of those who already use GNU/Linux knows about. Dell does sell a few laptops with Ubuntu preinstalled, but these are in their special "Developer" page, and are not displayed very prominently (only on a few business models. You kinda have to go searching to find this). I think more laptops providing the Linux option would improve relevance.

bump

This