/wt/ - watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for jewbies:
youtube.com/watch?v=typ2pl2L47k

>Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

>Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

Old thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SEz70ClCetM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

First for the GOAT LCD quartz. Also HNY.

>tfw used a digital watch for so long have trouble reading analogue watches now

>thread just starts
>fat Canadian already posts a Seiko and says GOAT

WHAT A WAY TO START THE NEW YEAR.

The first swatch delusion of the year!

Another user bought one of these for way more than I paid and he's thrilled with it as well, so feel free to stay mad troll :^)

Any opinions on this? Seems like it might be a bit big, but I like the way it looks just about as much as my sarb.

I ain't no troll and i don't got no swatches you cucks

Anybody know of any watches that have the vintage military vibe to them?

Picture related, might buy it but want to check out others first.

Citizen BM8180?

What's a good recognizable Swiss brand that's not as expensive as Omega or Rolex?

Longines?

Most Hamilton watches

reminder that watches are a fashion accessory, using them as a timekeeping device is autistic
i haven't replaced the battery in my rolex in years, it doesn't matter

Every Swiss brand below Tudor's in-house models and Rolex are enormously overpriced and no normie has ever heard of them. the only 'prestige' those brands have is with the desperately aspirational middle class suburban dads who are the target demographic of all those brands advertising budgets.

>mfw when you had to cut down on watches and a black version of this came up for grabs

>email chrono24 support 5 days ago, no answer

>call their offices at 3pm Central European Time, get automated message saying their hours are 9pm to 6pm Central European Time and that I should email them instead

Would anyone here like to talk about solar divers?

Do they make a solar version?

it literally says solar on it

Cool

What kind of shape was the black coating in? I'd have expected to coating to be in fairly rough shape by now.

Where are the solar panels, around the display?

solar cells*

Surprisingly in good shape, similar to the one listed on eBay right now.

what are some fair priced pilot looking watches?

SNK809,SNZG15 and SRP715.

If you aren't too poor, a Maratac Mid pilot or an Oris Big crown.

How much was this casio and how long does it hold charge?

Yes. Around the display.

Im not the user thay owns it tho. But like that Seiko a lot.

I've owned it a few years and I don't think Casio make it anymore (it's an AL-180), I paid about £25 for it. The charge lasts a few days in the dark but I've never really tested it, I just leave it on a windowsill when I'm not wearing it.

What size?

Glycine Incursore is quite big...

Only a few days? What kind of battery does it have?

How's the Invicta 0420?

Garbage really.

Sure it has the same 4R35 movement the 8962OB has but is just plain bigger.

How much is a nice Seiko Solar diver? I want one but I wanted to be reliable and accurate isn’t that expensive?

Considering that I'm a wristlet, that's not going to fit well

So basically you want a not so big diver, which is also in the poorfag territory.

Why don't you have a high jewel count watch wt?

>3 hand + date
>100 jewels
This is one of those movements where they lined the edge of the movement with jewels just for decoration & dick waving right?

citizen makes some nice quartz ones that you can get for like 90$, unfortunately they're too big for my wrists

Yup

make sure you listen to
As for Longines, it's nothing but pahjeet fodder these days; all their marketing is for pooland, and it's only worn by their celebrities. Swatch fucked over a lot of brands in "saving" them. Some should have been left to die, gracefully.

>41mm

Why?? It's clearly a dress watch. This would be perfect if it was 38.

>Longines?
About the only one of those that would be interesting is the new VHP because the specs indicate it would be one of the cheapest high accuracy quartz models available.

Of course everybody here will bitch because bigger than 5mm and quartz. Oh and not Seiko or some radioactive Russian shitter

What would be a fair price for pic related?

Is a 1601 c. 1972. Running well (probably within COSC), no papers.

it’s fake bro

>Wearing a two-tone Rolex

>Not appreciating two-tone Rolexes

>My watch is half gold I swear to God I’m middle class why will nobody believe me

I used to hate it, but I've begun to appreciate the two-tone DJ. I don't think I would wear one myself, but it's the perfect retired golfer uncle watch. I work with this old man who has a two-tone DJ that looks like it's probably from the 80s or so, 36mm and white dial with stick indices. It's sort of gently worn in and it looks great in person.

what's the deal with watches having magnified date sections?
i don't understand

Thinking of getting this Nokia. Thoughts?

It’s to make the day easier to see

What about this do you not understand

Top kek.
Rather go with a poljot de luxe than this.

Get over 40 and think about that question again

magnified = old peoples watches

it magnifies the date
youtube.com/watch?v=SEz70ClCetM

do you really have an issue reading the date?

Just Because you were I might not have trouble reading the date doesn’t mean that there’s nobody out there in the world has less than perfect eyesight

why don't they magnify the entire face then

Because the date is a small part of the entire face, which is easier to read.

>being so young you don't remember when two-tone DJs were popular in the 1980s
>being so young you don't remember yuppies
>posting on /wt/ like your opinions matter

It’s not hard with slightly blurry vision to get a sense of where the hands are and what time it is but as far as the date...is that 13 or 16 is hard to tell when it’s very small

Enjoy ur faggy $5000 two tone Yuppie want to be aspirational watch from 40 years ago

Happy New Year for everyone!

Happy new year bro

Pretty nice. I considered it but got the bambino instead. It might not go well for a wristlet, but it is a solid watch.

>no papers
at that point you might as well just buy a rep

>remembering yuppies
>wanting to emulate them
pick one

He Literally does not realize that yuppie was a derogatory term

Understood.

Guess I'll just drop the money on an Omega when the time feels right instead.

Do you understand what hobby you are in? Nostalgia is one of the biggest drivers of interest in watches, and we are far enough removed from the 1980s that some people have become nostalgic for the 1980s stock broker yuppie look.

So. Back to the question. Would you pay for it as much as for a brand new Tudor Black Bay heritage 36mm no-date with bracelet?

>I really want to emulate a Yuppie

>>no papers
>at that point you might as well just buy a rep
You are aware that there are plenty of ways to evaluate the originality and condition of a vintage watch outside of papers, yes? Most knowledgeable vintage collectors have no problem evaluating watches without them.

First time it goes to Rolex fir service, it becomes documented. Did it with a Omega some time ago.

I am into The hobby of horology, not the hobby of trying to look like a fucking tool from the 80s google yuppie handbook - Look at the cover

But you are judging a timepiece for the people that used to wear it 30+ years ago... instead of by its horological value.

Ah, the irony...

It’s An ugly tryhard gold Rolex it’s not some kind of wonderful piece of unique horological importance

What do your aesthetic preferences have to do with the horological merits of the model? I might personally find JLC Reverso's ugly as sin, but I understand that they are extremely well made and that the design originates in the 1930s and that a lot of people appreciate it, even if I don't.

Just Enjoy your gaudy two-tone Rolex and know that you look like a tool while wearing it

I'm not the guy who was asking about the 1601 two-tone DJ, actually, I was just pointing out that other people are entitled to have different aesthetic preferences than you.

>entitled
Yuppie trash

No they aren’t

So I found this on the ground next to my building's dumpster. It seems like a real POS because I can't figure out where the battery goes. What do?

>Guess I'll just drop the money on an Omega
No!
Unless
>when the time feels right instead.
means whatever the cost of whatever omega you're looking at is just poo change from your backpocket.
You want swiss made? It's tudor (really, rolex) and up.
Omega is made in china shit with stupid movments. Buy if you want an expensive chinese watch and can spare the change.

Give It back Jamall

>plenty of ways to evaluate the originality and condition

Nobody is denying it. Problem is, if you want to sell it, buyers pretty much demand papers. They will be sceptic, even if you go to a professional evaluator to get a certificate.
As long as there are enough other offers with papers, no buyer will want to trust you. Only if you have a super rare piece, people will ignore the missing papers, since they dont have much other options to get the watch.

Chinese made gaudy golden shit user, you can as well trash it back.

OK, I'll just trash it.
What about this one I found a few weeks ago?

how many others did you "find" user?

So many I've found over the years, in the woods, garbage dumps, etc.
I was able to get this one working!

"finding" a 20K watch, sure bud

I sold it to a guy for 5 bucks. Did I do ok?

This one belongs in the trash. Put it back.

wtf someone shit all over the case thats nasty bro

Can’t you appreciate it’s horological importance as a timepiece?

It’s Not like somebody would just wear that to be a douche

Can You not see the watermark on the picture can you not realize he’s just joking?

You're right it has a gmt hand, its a masterpiece of engineering.

>Nobody is denying it. Problem is, if you want to sell it, buyers pretty much demand papers.
This is not even vaguely true for vintage watches. Certainly pieces with papers command a premium on the used market, but a huge number of vintage pieces are bought and sold where originality is judged by examining the watch itself.

nice tantrum autismo

wat