Hey Sup Forums

Hey Sup Forums.
Why do people install hackintoshes when theres linux?
I mean they are both unix like and linux is just better regarding privacy, security and freedom.

Other urls found in this thread:

opengroup.org/openbrand/register/
siguza.github.io/IOHIDeous/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>they are both unix
opengroup.org/openbrand/register/
Stupid linux pleb.. go back to ubuntu

People run Hackintoshes to be able to use actual professional software that doesn't exist for GNU/Linux.

Which distro should I pick, and why should I pick it instead?
Not trying to meme, just genuinely curious.
t. Hackintosh fag

He said unix like

but OSX is not Unix *LIKE* it is Unix.. Linux is Unix Like but not Unix. So either way his statement is false.

I said they are both unix like, are you retarded

because desktop linux is a terrible experience

... OSX is NOT Unix like you dumb fuck

OS X is just better regarding actual usage. I dont care about privacy and GNU/Freedom.
(osx is a bsd, and bsd is a unix, therefore os x is unix :^)

OP, some reasons are: Software availability, no-nonsense set up, stability. You're not wrong about better privacy, security and freedom. But each system has its perks.

>stability
It's a hackintosh you absolute moutbreather. Stability isn't a factor whatsoever.

It literally is, you dumb fuck.

It is if you have the proper hardware. You seem to think that suddenly the system is going to crash because it detects that you're using a PC or something.

High Sierra at the moment does have a few issues, but Sierra 10.12.3 onwards was definitely stable.

Nice get though

LOL
>few issues
stupid no wonder you think HACKINTOSH is fucking "stable"
siguza.github.io/IOHIDeous/

Why do anyone still care about unix?
Nobody here used the original unix and if they did, they wouldn't tout "unix like" as the reason to use an operating system.
The idea that everything should be a filter is a great idea but we do so much more than manipulating text now so it is not the same system as people used in the 70's.

Just kill yourself user, dont compare superior OS to GNU/Linux.

>original unix
Nobody here also used original Linux unironically

That does not only affect hackintosh, but macOS in general. By the way keep spamming that, we need the monthly "Windows/Linux/macOS has a super big vulnerability that most people won't give two fucks about", can't have enough of that.

Something being LIKE something means it is not something. So OSX is not Unix Like it IS Unix..

Jesus christ did none of you make it past junior high english class?

Elementary is pretty cool and looks like mac, but Ubuntu is always good.

Did elementary ever get an update in the last 2 years?

not really - avoid elementary.

i used to use hackintosh but i installed alpine
most of the shit like ubuntu would be just like mac os but worse
you wont really know whats on your computer, it'll be too complex
alpine has 30 packages by default, uses superior musl and busybox

yeah, 0.4 based off of 16.04 released in Sept 2016, little over a year ago.

Because people enjoy using their computers for more than browsing the internet and watching anime which is the only thing Linux is capable of

elementary follows the ubuntu LTS versions.

pretentious fags.

>Why do people install hackintoshes when theres linux?
Microsoft Word - The Original One
Microsoft Excel - The Original One
Microsoft Office - others programs that no one uses
Adobe Creative Suite / Creative Cloud
XCode (not for xcode, but for iOS and macOS dev)
etc

this. in 3 clicks i can do on a mac whatd take 3 days of compiling and puzzle piecing together on a shitnux distro.

kind of funny because most hackintosh posters literally only brag about muh aesthetic

Funny thing actually, Opengroup offered Linus Torvalds to the use of the Unix trademark. Linus turn them down and said why would I want to have Linux as just another Unix OS. Everybody knows Linux now while the Unix name is dying.

You see little faggot, it used to be that Linux was the losers Unix, now however every Unix user is depreciated, deal with it Grandpa

People really need to make LibreOffice and GIMP much better if they want people to use linux

No, it is UNIX, not UNIX like. Dumb ape lol.

It's a heavily modified FreeBSD

>poors on Sup Forums can't ever afford a mac, so the software must be junk! not even unix!
lol. pathetic third worlders

It's great having a system that works well, has a large software library, looks great, and isn't shit (like GNU/Shitnux). If it wasn't for me using macOS in a lab 3 years ago, I'd still be using Shitnux. Holy shit that's a disturbing thought

Fedora is nice. But no matter what you choose, stick to the main distros: Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora/RHEL/CentOS, and openSUSE. The others are spinoffs and not worth installing.

based on BSD and NeXTSTEP, using the XNU kernel (which is based on the Mack kernel) and the underlying Darwin OS; all of this is open source, only Cocoa and Aqua, the above-facing components, are closed source

antergos is pretty good too

I used PearOS until it was “removed” by “apple”

How can you guys use Pear OS and ELEMentaRY (they hate when you spell it like that)? They look like macOS's retarded and transexual little brother/sister. I'd rather use other distros with their own aesthetic if I couldn't use macOS for any reason.

>transexual

Found the projecting closet fag. Please tell me anymore things that are gay i am all ears user. I am with your mom and her son too

reddit

spacing

Sup Forums didnt exist when i started browsing Sup Forums, but nice try

>Linux
Your're taking about the GNU system. Linux is a kernel, which has very little to do with privacy, security and freedom.

ok lying faggot..
Go read up on 4chans history a bit more k?

fucking this. Had a machine learning project and it was so retarded to set everything up in linux holy shit. Literally took my team like 3 days to get Spark to run on a cluster of computers without shitting itself.

hold up, you're telling me I can make iOS apps on a macintosh and make money off of it without having to invest in a macbook ? isnt that illegal ?

I once had a triple boot setup with Debian, OSX, and Windows. I mainly stayed on Debian, used Windows for PS and vidya games, and had OSX just cause

I don't think I can really imagine what retarded things you tried to do to come to this conclusion.

Not so much illegal more so breach of contract.

I could at least use it for learning purposes then try to get hired at a iOS dev company and show them my work without them questioning if I actually have a mac right?

I don't see why not.. if they ask then they are pretty invasive. any decent job will supply you with a work computer.

Do you think that there is a single person in the entire World which has learned to use Adobe Photoshop or any another expensive software on a paid version ??
Think about this

Most of the time you can find that expensive software for free(maya, visual studio[before it was free], windows server, etc) though I don't think Adobe ever released Photoshop for free.

I figured it would be okay then. And yes they do provide you with your own iMac at your desk.

if you have a powerful computer, its a lot easier to install macOS in VMWare than to install it native as hackintosh

>linux is just better
kek

This

There's nothing wrong with linux, but the software available just isn't as good as the professional alternatives. Some people just don't want to fuck with their computer all the time.

/thread

It’s not UNIX. It’s Darwin

Choose KDE on a distro of your choice and you're golden.

Unix is a operating system, UNIX is a trademark, Apple bought a certificate, so they can call it UNIX, but it really isn't. It's just proprietary botnet with outdated parts of GNU+BSD thrown together.

this

thistbhfam

While I don't bother with Hackintosh and have no need for any applications for Applel, if I do, I will.

An OS is a tool. I have many thanks to VMs. I have no ideology and don't pay for software. Having only one OS on decent hardware or even the old stuff I use is silly.

I don't have to fuck with my computers all the time. I've run Linux since Corel Linux was new. I'm as adapted to Linux as most are to Windows.

I don't need Applel hardware. I like hardware ports and use them often. I have Windows for CAD/CAM and that does fine in VMs. Should I want bare metal access I'll boot a Windows drive in my desktop, which has room for many drives because I'm not a minimalist.

If I needed Applel soft to make money I'd add their shit to my fleet. What's one or four or ten more PCs? (Applel is a vendor-locked PC in hardware terms).

Most of them are smart enough to know that Windows is dogshit and that real Apple hardware is a ripoff, but still too dumb to install Linux, BSD, or even some Windows Enterprise flavor. There's no significant difference between a modern Mac and any off the shelf Intel PC aside from the EFI and the outer casing. Macfags think that their hardware is magical or something. All you have to do is install a bootloader which will start the OS X kernel with the same settings and pretty much trick it into thinking that it's booting off the EFI of a real Mac.

>I mean they are both unix like and linux is just better regarding privacy, security and freedom.
They're not the same at all aside from a few similar userland utilities like Bash and some GCC stuff that's included in both of them. Mac OS 9 and earlier were written completely by Apple and weren't forks of anything, at least not the underlying system. Around 1998-2000 Apple was working on taking NeXTSTEP and sticking the Mac OS GUI on top of the Mach kernel. They did something similar with A/UX where the put the Mac OS GUI on System V UNIX. Now you have OS X which uses XNU, which is a modified version of the Mach kernel. The modern Mac OS X GUI is a big mix of NeXTSTEP components and other Apple software made into a desktop environment called Aqua, which is still around today.

OS X is not UNIX. The name of the kernel literally means X is Not UNIX. And to this day, poll() is still fucking broken, so the UNIX certs mean fuckall when OS X is not fully POSIX compliant.

Apple hardware and software haven't been worth a damn since 2005. That picture is just a reminder that Apple now makes social media machines for numales. Where's the ads now calling OS X UNIX? I don't see any. I do see ads for gay photo viewing apps and mediocre web browsers though.

thistbhfam

clementine rocks

/Thread.

I’d just like to interject for a moment. What you’re refering to as macOS, is in fact, GNU/macOS, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus macOS. macOS is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

>Why do people install hackintoshes when theres linux?
the desktop environments linux has are terrible. high pixel density display support is still extremely hit-or-miss, owing to the fragmentation of DEs and low quality of open source projects as a whole.

if you have a 4k monitor in the 24-28" range, you could have very sharp text and elements and everything like that (at the same "apparent" size, ie like a retina display but without paying apple), but the people driving various linux distributions seem disinterested in that goal.

I think it's more proof of concept than anything else. But then again I'm sure some people use build them with running certain Mac only apps. After all, they are way overpriced for a $3000 facebook machine.

please tell me this is bait u stupid faggot

I like having apps to install and it looks good without ricing it.

Linux is fine but I just prefer macOS.

for the life of me I can't find a decent guide on how to make the bootable macos USB on Windows with all the appropriate settings. All the high profile guides and the subreddit rely on a macOS host and commands like "createinstallmedia" that are mac-specific

Just get it running in a virtual machine, it's annoying but it works.

macOS is Linux if it was actually made for people and not robots. It's 2018 and Linux desktop is still utter shit.

Personal preference