Sup Forums - Gentoo General

/gg/ - Gentoo General

gentoo.org
Quick Install: wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Quick_Installation_Checklist
Quicker Install: chiru.no/u/installgentoo.txt
Prebuilt Gentoo image and binhost: ca.cloveros.ga
Packages: packages.gentoo.org
FAQ: gitgud.io/cloveros/cloveros/#faq
IRC: #gentoo on irc.freenode.net | #cloveros on irc.rizon.net (all questions or help welcome)

Come here for help or general questions, post your configuration, discuss packages or overlays, CloverOS, post your desktop, anything else Gentoo, etc. Newfriends welcome.

Other urls found in this thread:

packages.gentoo.org/packages/x11-wm/dwm
warosu.org/g/?task=search2&search_subject=gentoo general
lkml.org/lkml/2017/12/29/449
lkml.org/lkml/2017/12/29/488
pastebin.com/ahJctjwA
gpo.zugaina.org/net-misc/pyload
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What happened with the gentoo kernel sources? I was on 4.14 and the new source is 4.9

eselect kernel list
Available kernel symlink targets:
[1] linux-4.14.10-gentoo-r1

Thanks I know how to change the symlink, I was just wondering why the latest release had been rolled back.

Does anyone have any tips for getting URxvt's background partly transparent in i3?
Editing .Xdefaults works with changing color through
URxvt.background: #000000
But when I add
URxvt.depth: 32
And [50] in front of the hex color, I get the wrong transparency (changing 50 doesn't change anything) and the text is transparent too.
I have Compton installed.

try using something like urxvt*background: rgba:1800/1800/1800/F200

How to use DWM on CloverOS?

emerge dwm?
packages.gentoo.org/packages/x11-wm/dwm

I wish you included previous thread in the op

warosu.org/g/?task=search2&search_subject=gentoo general

Why does this happen every time after one had booted into windows 7?

4.14.x become unstable, and so as 4.1x

So they decided to get gentoo-sources back to the last longterm kernel out

Masked for removal in 30 days. Upstream is no more backporting security fixes for 4.12. For a more stable kernel please downgrade to 4.9 or move to 4.14(unstable) if it works for you.

4.14 is the next longterm kernel

GENTOO BTFO

lkml.org/lkml/2017/12/29/449

lkml.org/lkml/2017/12/29/488

Wtf how do I fix gcc. Save me linus

pastebin.com/ahJctjwA

I'm trying to emerge gnome but i keep on failing at certain packages. the link is the build.log for when i try to emerge dev-libs/gom-0.3.3
what does it mean what i dont have a ./configure file why is that supposed to be my problem dammit. or is it my fault for not doing something that the handbook didnt bother addressing

Ok thanks, I've downgraded to 4.9

what you're doing wrong is: YOU'RE FUCKING INSTALLING GNOME

You can stay on 4.14.8 if you were on that.

It's possible that they'll make it stable again.

I'd rather have the most stable system possible. I'm a recent convert to gentoo and I only upgraded from 4.12 because I wanted to see how the kernel upgrades worked.

Either way 4.14 is set to be longterm kernel, that's the only reason I have it on CloverOS

Jesus can multiply bread and himself.

Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh. Alright unity it is then

Why didn't they test the 4.14 kernel on the hardened profile before marking it stable?

It's not like hardened Gentoo is some obscure fringe project.

>totally not shilling my useless prebuilt gentoo guise
fuck off jesus you human shitstain

Does CloverOS only support 64bit?
I've seen neckbeards on here with it on old ass T60's.
Is there a 32bit installer?
thank

no 32bit yet

gotcha
debian it is then

It had to do with a gcc flag. At least it's fixed.

don't do that

I'm not gonna bother setting up distcc, or compiling anything on a T60 with a gig of ram user.

This thread is soo dead lmao. Even the gnu/linux minimalism general is doing better

At least install antiX if you are going for Debian

Just got Gentoo set up on my main rig again over the weekend. I had been using Ubuntu, but its just so bloated.

whats the difference between
default/linux/amd64/13.0
and
default/linux/amd64/17.0
on profile list?

why is SLiM such a piece of shit?

17.0 is the new one, it has gcc setting changes. new C++ and PIE

Install CloverOS

why

Hasn't it been abandoned for years? Try SDDM or gdm.

>Hasn't it been abandoned for years?
I guess I should be checking these things...

Yeah, popped in sddm and everything werked and required less configuration

praise stallman

gentoo is nice, compilation times are nothing on an i5 2520m for pretty much everything

hello, here is my gentoo

so what is so good about gentoo?

Portage. Mostly. Some people hop on the "systemd aint unix enough for me" wagon and come for OpenRC, but I still use systemd on Gentoo because it justwerks.

Anyway, Portage is perhaps the best, if not, one of the best package managers out there. And people flock to gentoo/gentoo derivatives to compile shit just for their hardware. Truly a non-bloat base.

i just want to say thank you for blessing me with this distro

gentoo is lyfe

ive heard some people claim that system d is botnet/spyware, is this actually true? also how much better is CloverOS than linux mint in terms of spyware?

Repos are not huge tho and Layman looks like a shitty version of AUR.
I'm not totally sold on Gentoo, not yet...

Don't fall for the no-systemd meme

clover os livedvd boots and mouse doesn't work. tried 2 usb mice. can't focus terminal window to install even.

>ive heard some people claim that system d is botnet/spyware, is this actually true?
It's not. That's basically paranoia about systemd being very large, very central to the OS, and very dominated by Red Hat employees in terms of development. In my experience, there are still a couple of rough spots (mostly around early mount and graceful unmount of large RAIDs or network filesystems) but overall it's a massive upgrade over sysvinit/openrc.

t. sysadmin

Convince me not to switch from Gentoo to NixOS.

>Gentoo thread

Gentoo maintainers really should do more automated testing and sanity checking for new features. Stuff like that isn't even uncommon anymore. It's usually fixed in a couple of days, but still.

ugly convert to Windows 10

>intel btfo

Complete conjecture, but try disabling any fast bootup or like options in windows. They should be in the advanced section in power management.

AMD Piledriver/Bulldozer with -march=native goes like a bat out of hell. It's Gentoo's time to shine!

Anyone ITT build their browsers from source? I know Firefox used to be a major PITA to build on systems with low RAM.

why are gentoo.org always shit at loading use flags?

Cosmic irony.

your gentoo is beautiful. what bar is that?

>PIE
Globally? For everything? That's fucking awesome.

Servers are broken.

Ayyymd is the future

polybar

Thanks

is it windows 10? Windows 10 doesn't shutdown normally using the normal shutdown. It goes into a kind of hibernation to improve boot speed. You can override it by using shutdown /r /t 0 to restart, then windows should unmount properly. shutdown /s /t 0 for shutdown. You can make desktop shortcuts if you like.

Maybe disabling fast bootup like said will prevent the need from doing this.

Sucks that you have to be a power user to shutdown your own system.

My friend decided to install gentoo on our server and now I need to install a package which isn't available in the normal repos and everything is so fucking complicated, maybe some of you guys can help me out.

gpo.zugaina.org/net-misc/pyload

I want to install this but I have absolutely no clue on how to get this shit.

Everything is so fucking complicated in gentoo, in Arch I would be running pyload already.

this but unironically

Does anyone know how to hack tinder

install Gentoo