/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Old Thread: If you're looking for purchase advice, state your budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN Elitebook 2570p/2760p/8570w, Latitude E6440/E6430, IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Recommended IBM models:
X60, X61, T60, T61, 860, Transnote, PC110

Recommended modern models:
Elitebook 2570p - 12", 768p, quad core 45W CPU with desktop-class performance, 12Gbps RAID0 ability, expansion bay (2nd HDD)
T420 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, Ivy Bridge installable w/ Coreboot
W520 - 15", 1080p, Desktop Replacement, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
T440p, T540p, W540 - last ThinkPads to have replaceable CPUs, IPS displays available, chiclet
P series - reminiscent to old build quality, top-of-the-line specs, better than most current mobile workstations, but very expensive

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

ThinkPad service guides w/ tutorial videos:
lenovoservicetraining.com/

EPP discount for new ThinkPads:
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW (embed) (embed) (embed)

Other urls found in this thread:

download.lenovo.com/parts/ThinkPad/x230_x230i_fru_bom_20130128.pdf)
support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/pd024287)
download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/42x3550_03.pdf
ebay.co.uk/itm/302586547598
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Are you blind?

some HP troll fucking around

>ABANDON THIS FORKING FAGGOT

>tfw it's not even me this time

Anyway,
Gonna buy myself 2170p netbook this week. Does anyone know what is the difference in power consumption between 7260n and 6205n intel cards? Their docs say nothing about it.

GTFO thinkpleb
glorious 8470p coming through

stop

Indeed, stop posting this toxic, antisocial guy.

>cantmakehisownfuckinggeneralpleb
nice homosex macbook wannabe
look at how hard it tries to be like shit hardware

>he paid money for a laptop other than the X1 Carbon

$200 into a T420 / T520 is $200 towards a Carbon you've just wasted

>No bios booru
>no 8770w
>not mentioning the x220 because it doesn't meet your meme expectations even though it's much lighter and some people would appreciate a lighter device more
If you're gonna do this do it right user
I'm happy that you're trying so hard to include other business laptops but don't be a fucking tard

>No quad core
>don't like the keyboard
>inb4 "WAAAAH YOU DONT NEED IT BECAUSE I TOLD YOU SO WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH"

at least shill your soldered ulv piece of shit with good girls instead of 3dpd whores m8

Model? I can't really make out the model number because of how blurry the image is.

Louis is neither toxic, nor antisocial
He is wonderfully insightful

My x201's touchpad is all jittery and inaccurate, anyone know how to fix this? Using arch btw. Tried configuring xinputs settings but nothing works...

OP is more autistic than me.

First off, all those "recommended IBM models" are wrong.
The first four are made by Lenovo
The last three are high priced, old as fuck, and hardly ever come to the market.

Additionally you have specific mentions about modern laptops but say nothing of the common issues of the X6x & T6x that are resolved.

If you're going to recommend an "IBM" ThinkPad, let it be a 600 series, IPS T4x or 755 series, and specifically state they are for nostalgic purposes only.

The modern recommendations are tryhard based on a few shitposters. Good god.

Absolute brainlet here. There's nothing but air between my ears. Please help me.

So I have a ThinkPad X230 that I just got for free from my office auction the other day (they hold one every new years day). I got this laptop for $50 in excellent condition. Everything is great except the battery which is pretty degraded. It was 29 wh to start but it's probably about half of that now, so I'm barely able to get 3 hours out of it. Fuck it, I'll just buy a new one. So I went on Amazon to shop around. I've learned that the X220 batteries will fit into the X230 just fine but I guess some of them don't work from what I've heard. Since the slot is the exact same physically, what's the difference I should look for to make sure the battery works in the X230? I was reading the reviews for a 9 cell one and it says that it's 96 wh at 11.1 v, which sounds like it would last a long time. But under the answered questions and in the item description the seller states that it won't work in the X230, only in the X220. My battery that I have in front of me says "NOM 14.8 v" while the Amazon one is 11.1 v. Will this make a difference? I don't really know anything about electrical engineering. I tried putting it into a conversion website to compare it and from what I'm seeing, the higher the voltage, the lower the capacity it'll give me.

So my main questions are

1) Even if the new battery fits, will it work to power the laptop?
2) Will the lower voltage rating on the new battery somehow hurt the battery or laptop, short or long term?

>I just got for free
Should say $50. Not that it matters, I was just thinking of something else when I wrote this. Now I look even dumber.

>Recommended modern models:
>Elitebook 2570p

REMINDER that the pasta has been hijacked by an HP shill that is stupid enough to pretend that the EB 2570P is better than the TP X220.

If you start a new thread, please rectify.

What does based hebrew suggest for a laptop in the new current year?

Ok, same retard here again. I finally found the information I was looking for after digging a little more. Turns out that the Amazon seller is just dumber than I am for saying the batteries wouldn't work in the X230.

>go to ThinkWiki
>find X230 page
>clink like for FRU list
>takes me to the X230t list
>I don't have the tablet, not what I wanted
>Google "X230 Lenovo FRU list"
>get the PDF (download.lenovo.com/parts/ThinkPad/x230_x230i_fru_bom_20130128.pdf)
>start Googling part numbers from the battery section
>finally get to the battery overview page (support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/pd024287)
>scroll down to the "performance specifications" section
>4 cell battery is 14.4 v while 6 and 9 cell are 11.1 v
>the aftermarket chinkshit batteries at 11.1 v will work fine
>hooray I did it!

Hope this helps any other retarded fucks buying batteries. Happy new year!

I picked up an x60s off a backwater goodwill. Great condition but tht Thinklight refuses to function. anyone know if it could be replaced in 2018?

fuck you shitheads

this tb h

You can replace it if you can find a part on ebay. Also here's the hardware manual to help you in figuring out how to service it to replace the broken part.

download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/42x3550_03.pdf

>fuck you shitheads
Fuck you too, asshole. Eat shit and die.

u mad

here's one for your collection bro
you are probably an idiot though

Nice tn screen you wanker, good to see you in yet another thread. By the way, I think I dropped your middle ultranav button, god knows how you'll scroll.

>Zune theme
Nice, but the Longhorn 5203 theme (like pic related) is better IMO.
>Google Chrome
>Not Firefox 52 ESR

I'm thinking about buying a Comfystation from a guy off Craigslist. What kind of performance(And heat) can I expect from a first gen quad core i7?

How's the D620 holding up? Is it one of the Nvidia timebomb models?

mind sharing that konata background image?

x220 where

this thread was made by some elitebook faggot
the other thread is still running

Precision > Elitebook

>How's the D620 holding up?
It's an okay machine. HDD might be dying because one time I started up SADX, there was no sound and when I restarted, there was sound.

>Is it one of the Nvidia timebomb models?
Nope, it has the craptacular GMA 950.

shit > anime

mad

X270 vs T470 vs T470s? Which one would you pick?

But Precision competes with the zbook series, you moron.

I have an X1 Carbon bought refurbished from wal-mart. 400 dollars for 8 gigs and a 256 gb ssd. Ordered a trackpad with buttons that should be in soon. fucking hate the no-button trackpad

aftermarket and pre-ivybridge thinkpad batteries wont work at all on ivybridge thinkpads. There is some kind of controller that locks them out. You can flash custom frimware to the controller to allow unauthorized batteries though.

Wow even worse

What's the max I should bid for this?

ebay.co.uk/itm/302586547598

It seems to be in completely pristine condition and has a brand new docking station & nifty ThinkPad bag...

That 210 seems about right if it is as "pristine" as they say. 250-260 absolute max tho desu senpai

Even with a brand new OEM docking station?

how much should I pay for a t400 that's in good shape?

oops didn't mean to reply to you user

louis i thought you didnt like pissants

>that sinking feeling when you're so set on getting a t440p because of the non ugly autistic, sleek design trackpad but t440p doesn't have eGPU support

Everyday, I consider suicide

I am pretty sure you can use it with an eGPU, but not as easy or nice as the older models, it has a wifi card... you could open it and use that slot for it.

>that keyboard
>What's the max I should bid for this?
Nothing.

There's a 540p for 320 burgers, should I buy it?

You can do eGPU with it, but you'll have to connect it to the WiFi card slot, losing any portability. I'd say the non-shit screen makes it worth it when compared to a T430.

Personally, I'd save up for a with Thunderbolt 3 setup. I'm currently using a T430 with EXP GDC, and the ExpressCard bottleneck can be very annoying.

Express card bottlenecks?
What a shame

Which model is recommended that has true i5/i7 and has thunderbolt 3 for EGPU

I'd prefer T series, the size is just right

There's only a few machines with thunderbolt (two or three as far as I know) and only a dozen from all manufacturers. Not only is it not documented, but some machines have a BIOS whitelist for what devices can be booted on thunderbolt. It's faster sure, but it's not a great idea in it's current form. TB3 will bring some huge improvements but there's only a few boxes in the world right now that support it. If you have time, wait six months or so until they have better availability. But right now EC is the way to go. It's not pretty but it works.

user if you have x230 you need a genuine battery

How much did you pay for your t430?
Theres one on sale in my neighborhood for 160 mcnuggets

The T430 with an i7 and an Intel graphics is the only Thinkpad other than a W540/541to sport a Thunderbolt port. The Thunderbolt port is much faster than the express card port as it has more lanes, allowing it to use its full 10 Gbps speeds.
But as mentioned, the only problem right now is the actual boxes that support Thunderbolt graphics card setups are quite pricey, for the few you can find.

If the machine is in good condition with no damage to the outside, I would get it. I spent 169 on my x230t just so that it would look nice.

How to remove bios supervisor password?
I'm not Tyrone

I see. I check and they're in the 500 burger ranges.
So if I buy an EC eGPU, which thinkpad model would be best suited for my gtx 970 (prefer T models)? Or will bottleneck be too great?

>best thinkpad ever produced

>best ever produced
>no x16 pcie port built into the front side

Which Thinkpad has this, pray tell ?

The one I keep having wet dreams about.
I'd tell you the model but I keep forgetting the dream after I wake.

user I don't think it exists.
Also why would anyone put that in the front side ? That's retarded.

Just like our unhealthy obsession with a business Chad's used goods. I believed it's called being a cuck.

found an x220 for £70 with no HDD, would that be worth it if I don't have a spare HDD?

Depends how retarded you are and on the price of replacement

you'll have to buy an ssd anyway. not a bad price.

well I'm more than capable of installing the new HDD if that's what you're saying but I can't see many second hand X220 HDD's

>I can't see many second hand X220 HDD's
i assume that's bait.

the x220 just takes a 2.5 inch drive you might just want to put in a SSD for like 40 quid

oh, that'd be why i'm not getting any results. I am retarded

The bottleneck is reduced by hooking the graphics card up to an external monitor. Otherwise, any Thinkpad in the 20's or 30's range will be fine

I will buy a X280!

Why do you fucking retards keep the threads by HP underage shill active?

Finally got it folks! t430s
Feels good man.
Mint Condition
8gb Ram
240gb Intel 540s ssd
Blazing

>540s
TLC trash. Purge it and get Samsung Pro.

no more money mate

Sell it and get it, at least OEM MLC version. Intel is overpriced as fuck.

Just bought a X230 tablet and the eBay seller took a cheap shot at me. "Great condition" but it's missing a huge fucking chunk in the corner.

I'm stuck between a t440p, t430, t420 and a t530.
They're all relatively the same price.
Pls help.

Oh, just replace the palmrest. It's like 10 bucks.

he just gives off the self-important prick vibe

if you contact the seller you'll probably receive a discount, which you can use to buy a replacement palmrest

Sure, but that hardly means he's wrong.

Should I get a X40?

how far can you push T420? I'd like to sell my pc and downgrade into a work laptop. However I'm still interested in playing civ 5/6 and cuphead here and there.
Found one with i5 2410M and 640GB HDD for 155bucks, should I go for it?

Why not a T430?
It accepts the same keyboard
It has a igpu that actually can render 3d without having a stroke
And overall it's the same thing as a T420
I currently use one with a 3630qm and modded gpu drivers and I can even get away with gta 5 and overwatch when I have to or I use a egpu when I really want to play stuff

yes, but I find him painful to watch as a result

Not the same user, but if you're still lurking...

Because Im europoor, my country has limited suply.
Also, same question, but for x230 i5-3320M, 180GB SSD.

Might be better
Also europoor

>modded gpu drivers

Explain yourself, user, are you modding Intel GPU drivers or the Nvidia Quadro NVS GPU drivers.

Can't install windows 10 on my x201....intel i5 processor is not compatible . Wtf intel.

surely their drivers are proprietary though?

>$130 JewBux for the 16GB kit for my ChinkPad T420