/spg/ - Smartphone General

Samshills Trying Too Hard Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones
pastebin.com/eMtwGjJX (embed) (embed)

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

Previous thread:

oh fuck off, just keep using the old thread until it reaches the bump limit

Why is the Xperia Z1 Compact the best phone ever?

New iPhone X has arrived. Would recommend/10. This is my first iPhone and I'm really enjoying the experience.

>2018
>touchjizz still LAGS

You'll get bored of it and have fun not clicking any webm's and lack of customization

If someone steals your phone, whats to stop them from flashing stock firmware, wiping the device, then reselling it?

>Get bored of it

how would i get bored of a phone? I use it all the time

>not clicking any webms

i downloaded an app for that

>lack of customisation

like what? not being able to put a weather widget on the homescreen

Buyers remorse the post

Fuck me, why are phones so shit now?
I just want a decent upgrade from this 5S and everything is either missing headphone jacks, still don't have waterproofing, are missing SDcard slots or have shitty fucking screens

5 rupees have been deposited to your account.

Why do people hate TWRP?

If I had buyers remorse I have just under 2 weeks to return it.

Uh, they don't? It's the only recovery that passed the test of time and the first shit to be ported to a device.

Anyone know why busybox wont install to /system/xbin? It will install to sbin

Then agian... what exactly does busybox even do and why do I need it? (practical example please)

Some apps depend on it, but it's usually built-in in your ROM. You'll know it when you need it, don't bother otherwise.

Does anyone have hard proof of why buying a phone with a top tier snadragon 800 series is worth the money? My brother got a moto x4 for dirt cheap and it doesnt really seem any slower than a pixel.

I looked it up and the 800 series is a system-on-a-chip with the same processor as the 600 series, but instead it supposedly has a better GPU and other video processing capabilities, yet the moto x4 can seemingly do everything a pixel can.

Factory reset protection

S8/S8+, Note 8, LG G6, LG V30. those are phones that fit everything you described

800 socs have A72 cores, most 600 socs have A53 Cores (except for the smapdragon 65* socs)

A72>A53

Upgrading from LG g2. Thinking about going for one plus 5t. Seems like a good deal for £380. Any other good options? Any views on the 5t?

Thinking of prolonging my current conditions with my provider (Vodafone Germany) because I was happy with them. Seems I cant prolong without a smatphone (got an S7 2 years before).

But shit is weird man. 100 Euros Payment for a Pixel 2 XL and 300 for a Note 8. Currently using a Note 4, really like the S-Pen, but is it worth the 200 bucks more? Maybe I can handle the price down if I o there by person tomorrow.

[spoiler]Not a shill, I hardly visit Sup Forums. How did the Note 8 become a meme machine?[/spoiler]

Get the pixel 2

I know you guys have a hard-on for pure android and all that shit and Im tempted. But besides the squeeze feature which I think is pretty dumb, the pixel 2 just seem.. average? I mean the note 8 has the bigger/better screen, but Im worried about the burn in on the Pixel 2. Is it just a big boom about something minor or a serious problem?

I think all high end phones have a slow burn-in effect, due to OLED.

Its not an ideal phone, but I think the pixel 2 xl is the best choice of them all. Especially if you use project fi. The dual speakers is really nice too.

>I think all high end phones have a slow burn-in effect, due to OLED.

Yeah no

which phone are you suggesting doesnt burn in over time?

The problems are exaggerated. I've had mine for nearly 2 months now with no burn in and the screen quality is comparable to the latest generation Samsung. I owned the Note 8 as well but that shit had ui jank all over the place. I got the Note 8 for $400 as well and I tried hard to like it but it just didn't feel like a $1000 device. The lag is constantly in your face every time you do something new.

As with oled you need to take the usual precautions such as hiding the softkeys and using immersive mode to avoid burn in, regardless of manufacturer.

oled is susceptible to burn in no matter the device

I'm getting a Moto G5s plus in the mail soon, and it runs stock android. I still want google to have the smallest foot print possible on it though. Is Lineage & Micro G the best way to go about this while having a stable OS.

I still have my S2 which was used intensively over 3 years and is now 4-5 years old, it's oled and no burn in.

Burn ins can happen but are very rare. I've never met anyone that has had it on a Phone. And the far superior image quality of oled over lcd is well worth it.

Are you shitting me right now? We're talking about modern high-end phones, not ancient history. Your S2 has an LCD screen which was never high-end.

>Your S2 has an LCD screen which was never high-end.
Please leave you tech illiterate fucking mong

So show some statistics, how often does it happen? I said they happen but are rare, your picture does nothing to counter that statement

>implying anyone ever has any stats about these things that aren't self reported bullshit at best

I dont have anything to prove to you, do it yourself. You seem to think that your phone is special and doesnt get burn in and for some reason all newer phones with the exact same technology will.

Maybe you just dont notice the burn-in on your phone, or you barely used it enough to even noticably cause it. In that case your new phone will be the same

If it is an issue of any significance there will be statistics

Rgb subpixel degrade at different rate with oled. Burn in is a fact of life with oled. Sometimes static element cause uniformity issues which you are referring to as burn in.

Anyone know what phone this is in the picture?

>I dont have anything to prove
>"Hurr guys don't buy Oled it burns in!"
>"Ah okay would you show us some evidence to back that up?"
>"Hurrpp durppp what I don't have to prove anything!"

>Rgb subpixel degrade at different rate with oled.

Which is only an issue if this becomes visible within the typical lifespan of a phone, which you have yet to prove

The note 8 doesn't have these problems

>my phone doesn't burn in
>*shown evidence of burn in*
>b-but that doesnt prove anything!!1 do extensive research find detailed statistics on every phone on the market and prove it happens at a higher rate! nevermind that I will just dismiss it or keep moving the goalposts even if you do

>show evidence of burn in
>google search with some results
>you consider this evidence that burn in happens on a significant scale

Am I arguing with an infant here?

I'm not the original guy you were arguing with.

Burn in is a technical limitation with oled. If you read up on it you will understand why.

I'm in the market for a budget phone, and I've narrowed my choices down to the Lenovo P2, Moto G5S Plus, and the Xiaomi Redmi Note 4. Any thoughts on which I should chose?

Is the Pixel 2 really faster/lagfree then the note 8? Guess Im going with the pixel then.

Again, which is only an issue if it becomes visible within the typical lifespan of the product.

>snapdragon
>qualcomm

They need to go full Exynos already

Yes.

>some guy on the internet says his phone magically doesnt burn in
>find overwhelming amounts of contradictory evidence with a simple google search

Sure buddy. Whatever you say.

How do you define typical lifespan?

(From the last thread)
I flashed the stock firmware for my Pixel 2 XL again and installed Magisk 15.1 (then upgraded to 15.2) and the freezing is still happening. I nuked greenify before flashing, so not sure what it could be this time.

I kind of think its magisk causing the freezes, so I flashed stock again but without flashing magisk. Will see if this fixes it.

Unrelated, but sometimes I'll say "olay google" and the google app crashes. This happens with a untouched stock image. Is it possible that theres still some residual data left over from my previous flash with magisk installed? For example, the OSs cache or something. (I would suspect this is cleared with the flash though)

You seriously might have defective hardware at this point.

Im not sure why you would suggest that. App freezes would be indicative of a software issue, not a hardware issue. Moreover, I did modify it with magisk, so there is reason to believe that that would cause the problem.

That being said, I do have device protection so I could replace it, but I kind of want to avoid that. If google released a V2 of the Pixel 2 XL with a better screen manufacturer I would be tempted to... as I think the current screen is a downgrade from the Nexus6P

Typical lifespan for most phones would be 2 years, some people use them longer so lets be generous and say 4 years.

A better way to go about it is to see if many deviced get returned with burn in issues. Seeing as how issues on smartphones always create a huge shitstorm, like battery issues, bendgate, and the recent Apple scandal, if the burn in was an issue of any significance we would have heard about it alot more.

Are there any good phones in the US that I can root to replace my Galaxy S5? The closest one seems like the OnePlus 5T, but then I'd have to give up waterproofing and an SD card.

So you're claiming it happens, but not frequently?

You have yet to provide any numbers, if your standard of evidence is this low I think my assesment was correct and I am arguing with an infant

I know it's possible due to the inherent technology, so with millions of phones using that technology I would imagine it happens yes.

But if the chances of it happening to your Phone within its lifespan are only lets say 1 in 100.000 it's not worth it to discourage people from getting phones with oled screens which have infinately better image quality than lcd's.

Back up a second, you originally claimed that modern smartphones get burn in at a higher rate than normal but you forgot to provide numbers on those.

Kinda funny how you switched your argument around so now I am somehow obligated to provide numbers to convince you. Besides, what if your new phone is a magic phone just like your S2? You wont ever have to worry about burn in issues with your luck.

But if you read up on the technology you would understand that it is not up to chance. Not 1 out of 100,000 but 100%.

Okay so I've been looking into getting a new phone (obviously).
Carrier: Republic Wireless (piggybacks off Sprint)
I've been looking into the Moto g series, because I'm a student and on a tightish budget. Given the choice of a Moto g5s or the g5s+, is it worth buying the nicer one? It's 350 w/o a sale on the plus and 250-280 on the other. The plus has a better modem and processor, but I'm not sure if it's worth it by the dollar amount. I really only use my phones for calls/texts, ssh, music, Sup Forums, and navigation (when I deliver pizza), but I am tired of my g3 being so slow, it barely handles updates to apps these days. It has been a good phone though, had it for three years, and wouldn't be getting rid, but the battery has that itself and won't hold a charge (can't change it out either without busting open the case)
So which to choose? Or am I barking up the wrong tree entirely? Thoughts?

why not get project fi? Its basically a complete upgrade from republic wireless

A question to /spg/
I'm planning to buy the Blackberry KeyOne in a couple of months and I'm not sure if this can work but.
>US version is 32gb internal storage 3gb of ram
>international-ish version has 64gb internal storage and 4gb of ram
>can buy for GSM networks unlocked
I have Tmobile as well which is a GSM network. If I buy the international version will that interfere my signal as opposed to the american phone I have?

>Back up a second, you originally claimed that modern smartphones get burn in at a higher rate
I did no such thing
>Not 1 out of 100,000 but 100%.
In what timespan?

>In what timespan?
From the moment you turn it on.

Man, I can't fuckin believe how ugly and dated the Pixels look. Who the fuck can stomach that garbage?

your original claim: Not all high end phones have a burn in effect over time (from ).

You named 1 phone from fucking 7 years ago and said it didnt get burn in. I showed you that the S2 does get burn in.

I'm still waiting for you to show me a high end phone that doesnt get burn in. Don't worry. I'll wait. Its a trick question because all high end phones will have some form of OLED screen and OLED gets burn in. End of story.

Now it seems you're trying to twist this around and say that some OLED phones don't get burn in and others get it really bad, which is now suddenly a claim which you want me to prove false to you. How about you do your own research and report back here once you're finished?

Nobody ever praised the OG Pixel chin. It was made fun of from day 1.

The the non-xl 2 made it somewhat acceptable because stereo speakers.

>From the moment you turn it on.
And when does it become visible?

Phone selection is limited with them as far as I could tell from their website. I don't really need a pixel or a Nexus. I'm not really carrier shopping, I'm pretty okay with what I got. Their service seemed not much different than what I have already, with not enough nice new things to get me to switch. Tbf, unthrottled data would be nice but I don't usually use enough data now to hit that number where they start to

Hold up, so you show up in this thread, saying oleds get burn in, and obviously you mean that the chances of this happening are large or you wouldn't tell people to not get phones over it.

And then you turn it around and tell people they should provide you evidence that burn in doesn't happen?

Top fucking kek, are you taking the piss?

They also offer a moto x4

>Hold up, so you show up in this thread, saying oleds get burn in, and obviously you mean that the chances of this happening are large or you wouldn't tell people to not get phones over it.

I'm saying that all OLED screens get burn in. Are you disputing this?

the timespan matters

>I'm saying that all OLED screens get burn in
Within what timespan, and when does it become visible?

For uniform degradation, the white point should start shifting after half a year or so.

For static element burn in, probably half the time.

If Apple or Samsung tried to sell something as ugly as the Pixel they would be ridiculed night and day and people would declare it the death of the company.

Google gets away with some complete fuckin bullshit sometimes.

That's not a bad phone, I'll look into it some more.

Its not just about time, its about how bright you have the screen on. If you keep your phone on minimum brightness you wont get burn in at all. If you run it on max brightness you will get burn in probably in a few months.

>probably
anyway you didn't actually contradict the main point that timespan matters

>yfw a filthy lcd peasant tries to defend it's outdated washed out piece of technology

>For uniform degradation, the white point should start shifting after half a year or so

Okay lets see some evidence for that assertion

Sure I can. Leave the screen off and it wont burn in. That directly proves that time doesnt affect the screen.

Yes because people buying a smartphone and then leaving the screen off is a realistic scenario.

Obviously he meant the lifespan during typical usage, dumbass

MY ONEPLUS 5T GETS HERE TOMORROW

You should spend more time learning how not to butcher the English language rather than jerking off over your burn-in monster.

Your phones screen is off more than it is on during the lifespan of the phone, dumdum.

Typical usage of your phone is just having it on but not touching it.

>4,000mAh battery
>128GB storage
>OLED screen
Is the Huawei Mate 10 Pro /ourphone/?

>your phones screen is off more than it is on during the lifespan of the phone, dumdum.

Yes, but it's still on, for 3-4 hours a day typically, and you dumbass assertion leaned on the retarded notion that somebody would buy a smartphone and not turn on the screen

Convince an applefag to switch to andoid? I'm thinking of the LG G6 because it's the cheapest phone I can find with cool shit like dual cameras and wireless charging, plus the screen is fantastic. Mostly worried about losing my iMessage history though.

triggered LCD peasant detected

Unfortunately I don't think there have been any lab studies done. The general census is that oled burns in. The rate of burn in will depend on many factors, even outdoor usage as uv degrades the plastic substrate.

The question at hand though, is not if oled burns in.

All hardware will degrade over time. The question should be, is it a problem for the typical usage with the timespan they use their phone

I was suggesting that the brightness of the screen affects the burn in, not the lifespan of typical usage. Screen off/on doesnt matter, its how bright it is when its on. Again, if you have it on minimum brightness you can use it all day every day for years and not get any burn in at all. Especially if you dont have light colored elements on screen

>again, if you have it on minimum brightness you can use it all day every day for years and not get any burn in at all.

Your statement seems to imply you have data on when oled burn in happens and how much it is affected by brightness, share it with us.

>xperia XD premium
Ebin xDDDDDD

Redpill me on snapdragon vs exynos and other processors