Firefox Quantum

Has anyone else found the new firefox quantum to be underwhelming? I was using google chrome before(I know I know so can it) and I don't remember encountering any of the following issues:
-freezing when I open multiple tabs (program not responding kind of freeze, it doesn't crash but it's still annoying)
-common websites I use taking more than a minute to open, not circle just stops loading for a while; this happens when I open them in other tabs (for the record the websites I'm talking about are reddit, facebook, youtube even google or duckduckgo so I don't it's the website fault)

I don't know it could be my computer not having the hardware, tis' true I only have 4gb of ram but I didn't encounter this issue before when using chrome. Honestly I didn't really believe in the whole "wow so fast" "wtfast" etc mozilla was going on about but I kind of wanted to try firefox for a while out of curiosity and through this is a good oportunity

I'm liking Quantum, it's pretty fast and seems to use less resources than Chromium.

But with all the fuckery with Mozilla, i had to stop using it. And moved over to ungoogled-chromium. Have to wait for IceCat to update to 57, before going back.

Gotta say I do like the take a screenshot feature

>underwhelming
It's been disappointing. It was bad enough to make me jump ship entirely. I'm using Brave now with no regrets

You didn't like the Mr robot promotion?

Listen bud, open source takes a lot of work and Mozilla simply felt that users would enjoy an experiment wrapped in an excellent show that all of the developers near that one cubicle liked.

Oh, it was the cliqz advertising and privacy stuff?

Look man, open source is expensive and Germans were simply willing to sell their private data by default without notice. They're nice that way and Mozilla simply acknowledged it.

Oh, it was the way they told that extension dev that his complaints were problematic for developer relations and smeared his reputation?

Look guy, some stuff just can't be left up to extension contributors or end users anymore. They simply don't know what they want or should want as well as Mozilla, which is far more diverse than most people. That guy blogged about D instead of Rust so he was probably a ne'er-do-well anyways.

It seems like support may not be good with older hardware as some have claimed to have issues. I have newer hardware and it is noticeably faster and more stable for me.

I actually didn't get that mr robot thing. I was surprised to hear it happened. I mostly just use ublock origin, also maybe I had some options disabled

The hardware isn't old per say but I'm starting to notice 4gb ram ain't enough any more

Firefoxfags what's your
>version (stable, beta, nightly)
>extensions used
>ram usage

This
I was using firefox without problems
v55 add ons start to get flaky
v57 shits the bed
noscript replaced by double noscript
it's awful
crashes tabs regularly
other add ons not available at all

I just left
FF is dead to me now

>FF is dead to me now

same. It's a shame, too. Mozilla used to be a trustworthy, user-focused company and now they're just a tryhard google wannabe

esr
ublock and umatrix
426.5mb with 22 tabs

I'll use it when icecat gets it (in may or so)

forgot pic. cat is cute

>less resources than Chromium
That's not saying a whole lot.

I dont mind it, it does feel a little snappier than chrome I guess. It uses a shit ton of ram though, like 100-300mb per tab/addon, so if I only had 8gb I probably wouldn't use it.

You can bring down RAM usage quite a bit in firefox. Lower the process count and your cache in settings. You can choose to use disk cache or memory cache in about:config too.

someone make an icecat logo with that cat that's being spammed on Sup Forums
>pic related

Stable
Decentraleyes, HTTPS Everywhere, uBlock Origin, uMatrix, Violentmonkey
Using about 5 GB of memory with 72 tabs open. With older versions I'd probably be using half of that for that many tabs.
I'll look into this since profile refreshing and reinstalling didn't work for me. I thought it was a problem just for me but maybe this is just how Firefox is now.

can I get more info on this?
what specific settings do you recommend changing?
never really touched about:config before

>I was using google chrome before(I know I know so can it)
despite the fact that i know how shit it is, im still using it
im finding it hard to adapt to anything else because ive used it so much i think its given me stockholm syndrome

fuck me

Unused ram is wasted ram. The more ram it uses the better.

Hey don't beat yourself over for it user. From my experience google chrome is pretty good, most people dislike it because they dislike google practices and their stance on privacy. In a way the internet is still developing, google is a giant here, this giant has a bad worldview which will harm everyone in the long run
Besides that g-chrome is fine, anyway I heard chromium is basically the same and it's open source, you could try that if you want
I'm also interested, do you have a guide or smth?

this is what modern "programmers" actually believe.

how make it look like that?

I have same issues with Chrome. Quantum works fine.

The problem is your computer.

FF Quantum is literally killing your CPU

>the way they told that extension dev that his complaints were problematic for developer relations and smeared his reputation?
>Look guy, some stuff just can't be left up to extension contributors or end users anymore. They simply don't know what they want or should want as well as Mozilla, which is far more diverse than most people. That guy blogged about D instead of Rust so he was probably a ne'er-do-well anyways.
oh, I haven't heard of that one yet? got a link?
was it full on sjw faggotry, or was it something reasonable?

>yet?
>yet.
FTFM
that's what editing shit in-place without proof-reading gets me

Quantum is pure fucking shit.

>It's slow
>it's buggy
>all good addons are gone
>new addons work like total shit
>UI locked down so forget about customizing to your liking
>streams video like it's 1999

I'm sticking with FF 56 till it's totally broken, then switching to Chrome.

>acting smug while using reddit spacing
kys

spotted the rust shill

Does it use more resources than palemoon? Had to ditch the brave browser becuase my RAM was getting raped hard by it and now I'm on palemoon, which rapes my RAM significantly less.

>I only have 4gb of ram but I didn't encounter this issue before when using chrome.
i have 2
i don't know what you talk about

>support may not be good with older hardware
still works on bentium3

that's a long tail

Try to "Refresh" your Firefox profile
and try to change your process count to 1 in Performance area in about:preferences#general.

>freezing
probably because its using the same ancient garbage collection method since forever

what the fuck is happening with Nightly? the pages are broken and looping

My internet connection is a pile of shit so doesn't matter which browser I use, but at least FF is more than a chrome reskin like the other browsers

Firefox is faster than Chromium on my desktop. Especially when you bump up the max process count or whatever it's called.
Brave is faster than Firefox on my mobile.
I ditched Firefox because I ran into some really fucking annoying issues. Sometimes the UI locks up. It displays a spinner and you cannot interact with it. Image loading is also weird. When you load in a new image, the previous one turns black really short before the new one is displayed.
I won't say that Chromium is without issues, but it works best for me.

Never had those issues on quantum. May be a hw acceleration issue. Try changing the setting in options.

I reduced the max process count to 1, but that made Firefox a lot slower. So that's not a viable option. I'll give it a try when it's been around for a while

>people are actually still using pale cuck

Im not talking about the process count. There is another option to toggle hardware acceleration.

Disabling hardware acceleration is not an option. I want my browser to be fast.

What versions are you running? Had some problems with the latest. So now I had to use ublock 1.14.22 ( guess that's the latest) bjt umatrix wouldn't install because of the verification stuff. Umatrix is now 1.1.0 no others worked.

Okay, explain to me, no bullshit: what was Mozilla's actual reason for the add on changes? Does it actually make sense?

I think it was a combination of security via sandboxing and it makes porting an extension trivial.