I don't use Linux because I need my vidya ga-

>I don't use Linux because I need my vidya ga-

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CPRvc2UMeMI
youtube.com/watch?v=fyclA-_M-aA&t=260s
kernel.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I've heard this has gotten much better recently. Great stuff

Before you needed to do a lot of hacky shit to get it to work, now it's a breeze if you're not a brainlet. Literally leaves no excuse to not use Linux. You can effectively put W10 on a leash.

>lel we're macroshit we made Ubuntu an app so you can run your loonix terminal things. Loonix is 100% depreciated!
Meanwhile we got the full Windows desktop running with GPU passthrough in a VM.

the excuse to not use linux is still the same, it's garbage

>it’s garbage
>but it can flawlessly run my preferred OS, Windows, and by extension all the Window’s software while protecting my anus from Microsoft’s cock.

is it possible to do WITH GPU passthrough on older platforms like LGA 1150?

>Im playing vidya all day in Windows VM on Linux all day because I fell for a meme

What's the point though? Not as convenient as having a separate gayming machine.

Are you poor?

sour grapes

>not as convenient as as separte gaming machine
Are you actually retarded?

I use Linux because I refuse to give up on my 10 year old Macbook.

Since Apple is literally dogshit they make it impossible to install a newer Mac OS on my computer.

I've gotten used to Linux, and when this laptop finally physically breaks I will find a 5 year old Dell to install Mint on.

Apple can suck my dick for eternity.

>Are you actually retarded?
Elaborate. Is this just a poorfag defence mechanism?

You don't have the room and resources to set up a 180° desk with a workstation machine and gayming machine?

How the fuck is switching between two machines every time I want to do a different task more convienent than doing everything on one machine? Were you dropped on the head a baby?

that just looks like windows to me. someone explain

You never used what OP is talking about?
You have to have two different monitors. Better if even separate keyboard and mouse as switching between the machines is not as convenient as a standalone VM without PCIe passthrough.
Specially if you're actually using it for gaymes.

The performance penalty is also just not worth it. It's small, but the microshutter thanks to the IOMMU is real.

It's just con after con, maybe if you're poor and need to save on space, power and hardware costs.
Else it's less convenient than going out for just more hardware.

Anyways, a shilling Linux retard who plays gaymes. I don't think arguing with you is even worth it.

With GPU passthrough, can I just use virt-viewer and use the Windows VM like that, or do I need a separate output for the VM's GPU?

He's running it in a VM on GNU/Linux, and he has stuff open showing the NVIDIA GPU, meaning he's passing his card through to the VM.

Separate GPU and screen (or screen with dual inputs).

Wow youre using windows. amazing.

Well, or you know you could just use ESXi and run both Windows 10 and GNU/Linux from one GPU (with hardware acceleration) at the same time, using the same monitor or even with PCIe passthrough if you want the maximum performance, even with just one GPU or two if you want the ability to easily use both without switching.
While still having all the benefits of a virtual machine.

Far, far more flexible than QEMU/KVM with PCIe passthrough.

Disappointing, but makes sense. Can probably use RDP for a single screen setup, though.

Oh, just another case of sour grapes
>microstutter
Works on my machine. Learn to cpu pin and don't install the guest OS on the same physical drive as the host OS.

>ESXi
>ESXy
>E-SXy
>E-SeXy
E-Sexy

You're a tech illiterate. The micro shutter has nothing to do with what you just mentioned.

Oh, just another case of baby's first Loonix experience.
But I already knew that, you being a Linux retard who want to play Winshit games on the same machine.

>Works on my machine.
That's the deal with free software, it has no constancy, works on one and totally broken on the other.
But I'm sure you're just wearing your rose tinted glasses and ignore it or you just don't know better. Enjoy your purposely gimped performance, you machochist.

>the micro stutter has nothing to do with what you just mentioned
Well hey, you can't expect me to analyze the symptoms of and diagnose toasters when I don't work with toasters.

STOP! you're confusing the freetards and it's making them angry
just ignore this thread and let it contain the autism for the good of the board

How would you do this? I'm interested.

I don't know about this approach... Being able to continue using Windows shouldn't be a selling point. I don't even like it when people bring up wine or steam when trying to get people to switch. It's a different experience. A better experience. If you just try to use it the way you used Windows, you're not much better off. You can do a lot if you're willing to learn and try new things.

It doesn't really work.

What specifically? As said it's very flexible.
ESXi has its own GPU drivers for some GPU families. It can create virtual GPUs with slight performance penalty but with all the futures of the host GPU. So it's manageable like any other virtual GPU, like switching guests on one screen, obviously from the console or web interface though, no shortcut screens. You could also do what QEMU/KVM is with PCIe passthrough and have several screens with several dedicated GPUs and direct GPU access from the guest.

>t. freetard butthurt at commercial proprietary software that actually works (VMware ESXi)
I'm not sorry it triggers you this much.

It's not really a selling point, it's a counter-point.
>"I need mah Adobe and professhonal software... oh an vidya too"
>>"Not an argument"
Also when Microsoft decides to fuck you in the ass with one of its' broken updates or you get hit with ransomware AGAIN, just roll that bad boy back with a snapshot. It just makes sense.

>Also when Microsoft decides to fuck you in the ass with one of its' broken updates or you get hit with ransomware AGAIN, just roll that bad boy back with a snapshot. It just makes sense.
Why would you do anything else then manually install only security updates when using shit like Windows?
Sounds awful lot like you're just a dumbass.

Honestly for me windows has become no more than a runtime and nothing more, a cumbersome, obligatory runtime. I don't hate windows but it's not my preferred OS and it's not nice being obligated to use it only for a few things. Honestly, the only reason to use windows is the software support, the OS itself is hardly superior in any way in my opinion.

You guys are like babies.

youtube.com/watch?v=CPRvc2UMeMI

It's nice that probably most of us here can defend in one way or another but it's sad to think how companies are milking the average joe constantly and basically doing whatever they want with no backlash, they can buy their reputation as many times as they want.

got it setup in arch then realized i was going to spend all my time in windows anyways so I went back. also audio stuttering is horrible if you don’t passthrough the audio device

Can anyone that does this post the results of a latencymon test?

it's only little bit more
like 1/3

And I will do this once 7 stops getting security patches.
Until then, fuck Windows 10.

For example, having linux and windows running at once on the same monitor for gaming.

Not that user but you have to manually select between them, you can't have them side by side, only switch between them in fullscreen.

Correct. It's not much different than having a game running full screen and alt-tabbing between that and the desktop, but instead it's two different OSes.

im still not downloading linux fuck off

>just install linux and make a windows vm so you can use windows and run your windows software
yeah you convinced me brb nuking my windows drive and switching to linux so i can use windows

because you're a retard?

gaming works fine on linux

Hey, OP, why don't you do VR, if your hardware is compatible? >Doesn't buy a VR headset for $299 or $399

Hmm.
Fraction of the library.
Even less good games among them.

No thanks.

Nice tinpot graphics you luser

Kek. It looks worse than it did on my toaster years ago.

Yes, this is exactly what I want. Is this hard to set up? Any guides?

Pirate ESXi.
Mess around with it in a VM. Using online guides for reference.
When you're confident, install it on your machine and install your operating systems.

You shouldn't jump in it without experience, as it can just result frustration.

It's because I'm on integrated graphics

More added everyday

Guide?

Not him, but I have a VR headset and it sits around unused most of the time because the tech isn't good yet. The only decent VR games at this point are The Talos Principle VR (which coincidentally happens to be one of the only Linux VR titles) and Distance.

I can't use Cheat Engine in Linux.
No way I'm fucking playing certain games without speeding the fucking "run for two hours lolz backtrack" they make you do

>I can't use a very specific proprietary program
>It would be impossible for me to use any other memory editor besides Cheat Engine
Stay cucked

I don't use it for memory editing.
I use it for the fucking speed hack

You know, that thing that makes backtracking and farming an actual easy thing instead of "HEY WALK FOR LIKE TWO FUCKING HOURS LOLZ"

Depends on the cpu

I don't think you understand what Cheat Engine does. The way it works is by editing the memory of a running process. Whatever you did with Cheat Engine can be done by any other memory editor.

search for looking-glass on github that's the project that removes the separate screen/output limitation and provides a salable window for the guest.

Yeah but you have to understand that after I got Linux terminal to run under my Win desktop, I haven't had the need for linux because the terminal is only thing I need from it, the desktop experience is needless in linux IMO and running linux bash on windows is definitely the way to go because you NEED a working windows desktop but not linux desktop.

>More added everyday
Not a argument, is it, m8?

So give me one that has a Speed Hack built in

Linux is a kernel.

>explaining to someone that alternative memory editors exist equates to playing shit games
u wat m8?

It's also the colloquial term for an operating system.

But you can install it on a VM that has windows

Well that actually defeats the point of it, honestly.
I get where you're coming from but honestly, my laptop only has 8GB of RAM and I don't think it's a good idea.
I've tried running both CE and the game in WINE and it throws an error (something about how it handles CE in WINE apparently).

I'd be happy enough to use Linux if I can use CE.

The point of this thread is to lock up windows in a vm, though.

I already told you that you can use a different memory editor you massive faggot. Cheat Engine is not the program on the planet which can edit the memory of a running process.

Its a confusion. There is no linux operating system.

Yes there is. Prove me wrong.

What I'm getting at is since I normally have a game running at work that's windows only, it would me running a Windows VM constantly while on Linux.

Can you give me a Speedhack that works on Linux or not?

Post download link to the linux operating system.

>Can you give me a Speedhack that works on Linux or not?
Google alternatives to Cheat Engine. Google Memory editors/scanners for linux. You fucking retard. Cheat Engine is not special or unique. All it does is scan for and edit memory of running applications.

> Google
Kys

There are many different variations of it. Here is a screenshot of one of my favorites. If you are going to maintain that the operating system is not Linux, then tell me what the name of the OS in pic related is.

>the only reason to use windows is the software support
this

you use windows for it's humongous software base full of excellent ( and not quite ) programs

that's why im really really baffled with people who use internet explorer/edge, windows media player, groove music, photos and movies app, etc

like nigga what the hell...
When in the past everyone i knew who had a PC would use winamp, acdsee/irfan, mpc and shit, because it just made sense - microsoft gives you and the software devs a solid foundation to build upon. And then you build your own modular OS with the software available. And now nobody gives a shit, people are just fine with subpar ads ridden crapware. And in turn microsoft is also fine with focusing on this crapware, while neglecting the state of the base OS. It's 2018 and win10 still has two control panels. UWP volume slider is still useless barebones piece of shit compared to win32 one. The future of UWP is still undecided, microsoft could just drop it in a year like they did with winphone. This is all just sad, how the mighty has fallen

>I'm too lazy to search for one of the several Linux compatible memory editors. I want people on the internet to spoonfeed me everything.
kys

user, I will explain this once and once only.
I am aware that the memory editing is a feature. it is also a debugger.
Now, user, if you can find me any Liunx application which accurately gives me the sole feature of the speedhack function (the memory editing is irrelevant) then I will at once, move to Linux and thank you.

Remember user, the speedhack function, not the memory editing. I just want a method to increase the processing speed by at least 5 times

yea kvm is pretty cool
youtube.com/watch?v=fyclA-_M-aA&t=260s

>he still doesn't understand what a memory editor is
Your loss. Go ahead and stay on windows faggot

Okay would anyone else like to give it a go since we have this neckbeard bitching because he can't understand what process editing is on his gnu/linux?

Until there's a program that does everything for the user, it won't catch on. If you really wanted to convince people, you write that yourself OP instead of calling others brainlets

The output of the command "uname -o" outputs the OS name. On Alpine Linux that command outputs "Linux". Faggot.

If GPU manufacturers add proper virtualisation support to their cards, it'll catch on pretty quickly. Aside from all the setup issues, right now GPU passthrough also needs a separate graphics card for the host.

Well, maybe you don't know yet, but there is this new Win10 thing that forces you to install feature updates

Just how much performance would I see moving to Linux if I'm learning Unreal Engine 4?

That's really all I'd do other than standard browsing

I don't use GNU+Linux because I don't need it. I can just use the far superior Windows

UE4 including the editor works absolutely fine with an nVidia GPU on Linux, but I doubt it'll be significantly faster than on Windows.

Does KVM still not support gpu sharing? I had hoped they would jump on that now that they have almost feature parity with closed source solutions.

Oh that? That's GNU senpai

That has literally zero GNU components installed

The existence of Alpine doesn't magically turn Linux into a complete operating system. Linux is a kernel.

>user spends his 3 day weekend getting passthrough to work
>"S-s-see guis, it's great!"

Well "uname -o" outputs "Linux" so you can take your incorrect assertion and fuck off.

MOSSACK! DISHA, DISHA.

r u ok

Ok, so if I go over to this site and download a linux
kernel.org/
Does that mean if I load just this i'll be able to have a fully functioning system made useful by corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX? After all, Linux is a complete operating system right?