/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and _monitor_ suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>*Avoid intel momentarily: theregister.co.uk/2018/01/02/intel_cpu_design_flaw/
>*G4560/G4600 for non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>R5 1600 / *i5 8400 - Great gaming (especially the i5 8400) or multithreaded use CPUs (especially the R5 1600)
>R7 / *Used Xeon / Threadripper / *i7 - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

Graphics cards:
>Consider Vega 56 for a Freesync monitor
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>GTX 1050Ti and 3GB 1060 are the only reasonably priced cards; 6GB 1060 or 4GB 580 if you want to overpay a little
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Previous

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/product/dDH48d/corsair-txm-gold-550w-80-gold-certified-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020133-na
pcpartpicker.com/product/Tc3RsY/seasonic-power-supply-ss620gm2
pcpartpicker.com/list/Hw2MPs
pcpartpicker.com/product/qLkj4D/geil-evo-spear-16gb-2-x-8gb-ddr4-3000-memory-gsb416gb3000c16adc
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIADYY6DW0533
theregister.co.uk/2018/01/02/intel_cpu_design_flaw/
pcpartpicker.com/list/T37JFd
pcpartpicker.com/list/82hNJV
pcpartpicker.com/list/PjwfKZ
amazon.com/Pixio-Display-Professional-FreeSync-Certified/dp/B0761P6MC7/
amazon.com/PG279Q-2560x1440-G-SYNC-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B017EVR2VM/
pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#r=256001440&p=1&A=1&sort=price&page=1&H=165,240
pcpartpicker.com/list/CywfKZ
pcpartpicker.com/list/XgsQjc
pcpartpicker.com/list/DzP3KZ
fr.pcpartpicker.com/list/dDkr9W
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Watercooling is a meme.

I need recommendations for a PSU around 550W. Budget would be ~$60, would love semi or fully modular cabling.

why do you say that?

Because Noctua d15 > AIO memes

No, it isn't.

the noctua d15 is literally the largest heatsink you can buy, of course it'll be good at removing heat. but not all of us are building in (wasteful) ATX cases so a 120mm or 140mm AIO would be a better choice for a needy CPU

pcpartpicker.com/product/dDH48d/corsair-txm-gold-550w-80-gold-certified-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020133-na

How about this? Fully modular 620W
pcpartpicker.com/product/Tc3RsY/seasonic-power-supply-ss620gm2
The D15S is almost as good (mostly just noise levels) in fits in a lot of mid-towers or sometimes even smaller. Also, it costs half as much as competing all-in-one coolers.

How feasible is Best Buy as a place to buy PC Parts? I have a $2500 limit with them and need to upgrade my PC so I can play Hand of Fate 2.

Probably depends on what you want to buy but there is a reason why most people buy online

pcpartpicker.com/list/Hw2MPs

1080p, sub $900, plenty of room for upgrades as time goes on (CPU, GPU, RAM, etc)

PSU is too big for your case
This is quite a bit faster for only a tiny bit more
pcpartpicker.com/product/qLkj4D/geil-evo-spear-16gb-2-x-8gb-ddr4-3000-memory-gsb416gb3000c16adc

You could also get a 1060 6GB if you buy a Ryzen 1200 and a B350 board

or should I spend the extra $350 and pick up one of these and hook it up to my 1080p monitor and peripherals

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIADYY6DW0533

>pcpartpicker.com/list/Hw2MPs
Read op

but a ryzen 1200 is awful for gaming

So is the 8100
Where is your point

>said the increasingly nervous intel shill for the 10th time

overclocked for the first time with my 1050ti

is it normal I can put +1000 memory clock in afterburner? I went up gradually but it never did anything. Is it worth trying another software to try and get it even higher?

I don't have a 6-pin connector (only pci-e powered) so I can't up the power limit but I still got +160 core clock.

It seems to crash if I put it higher cause it goes over the weird 1911hz cap that I don't really understand.

8100 is on par with the 7500, which is like 30% better than the 1200. that's my point./

and i can pick up an 8700 along the line too

then lose 30% to a hardware bug

okay i'm gonna buy it then

I would go with a R5 1600 and B350 and it might be the same price as what you have maybe only slightly more, but worth it.
Avoid i3's for now until the budget boards are available. Not worth paying for a Z370 board.

in gta5, I'm getting drops to 55 fps but my gpu and cpu are both at like 50-75% usage. What's wrong? The temps are great so I don't know what could be bottlenecking. I have 8gb of ram and it's not maxed out but it's DDR3.

The gpu's 4gb of VRAM aren't maxed either (like 3.5).

Memory overclocks depend on what memory chips your card has
Overclocking causes instability so crashing past a certain point is because of physical limitations
You aren't going to be hitting 100+ fps with either because you have a 1060 3GB
Throwing money at a CPU and board while ignoring your video card is stupid

>old Motherboard broke when I got home from new years
>get a new one along with a CPU and RAM
>After some kerfuffle, get it working again

>Windows says my OS is illegitimate and want me to spend 200 shekels so I can change the fucking clock on my computer

is there any real way to get around this or will I have to pony up some shekels if I wanna get rid of this annoyance?

Need some help. Built a new rig with mainly new components. Using my old PSU, fans, and Cooler. Upon completion, I kept running into the problem of the PC starting and then shutting down after 20 seconds. Can get into bios but it shuts down before I can do anything, other times it will not start at all. Power supply confirmed working. All parts appear to be compatible aside from the cooler which part picker has no record of but everything should be fine with it. Any ideas? CPU temp reads fine on my meter but if it's actually high should I change out my cooler?

Crosshair VI Hero
Ryzen 1800x
EVGA GTX 1070 ti
Corsair Vengeance 3200
Thermaltake Smart Series M 1200W
Asetek 550lc 120MM liquid cooler
Arc Cool fans.

read

I can always upgrade the CPU with a cheap Z370 board

Did you buy a legitimate Windows copy? If so, what version is it, and is it Full or OEM?

pcpartpicker.com/list/T37JFd

I still have issues choosing the motherboard. Also going to start with TV instead of a monitor until I get some more cash.

I don't know what could be wrong, but why the hell are you cooling an 1800x with a 120mm AIO?
With a 1500X and A320 you're in for a world of hurt

So what's this Intel shit? Do I not buy Coffee Lake right now?

RAM is still stupid expensive and GPUs are still overpriced.

2017 sucked for building a PC. I hope 2018 is better.

But why exactly? I'm not looking to do much serious gaming until I get some stable income.

I don't remember but I think a friend just gave me a windows 7 key back in the day and it just sort of worked. Don't think it was legit but I thought the windows 10 upgrade being free and all wouldn't ask about that key.

Buy Ryzen+ Nvidia
Intel CPUs are in for some problems and AMD cards don’t support older games (e.g. The Witcher) anymore

basically they're saying that there is a security issue that needs to be patched. when the CPU hands instructions off to the kernal, that bit of information can be compromised and also hits performance. if i'm not mistaken, it's not just coffee lake (many intel processors) but it's more of an OS issue actually, and it should be patched soon

avoid A320 boards they are really cheap.
I suggest Asrock B350M pro4.
I would swap out the cpu for an R3 1200 and use that money to get a 1060 3GB. You still get 4 cores and R3 can be overclocked easily to 3.5 Ghz on stock cooler.

>gtx 1050 ti zotac amp edition double fan
> 160 eurobuck
or
>gtx 1060 6gb zotac amp ed blah blah same shit as before
>310
between the two and killing my self what's the best option for the money? I previously had a, now ded, 970.

A320 boards don't have VRM cooling and for not even $10 more you could get the AB350M Pro4 which is a lot more solid.
I would do this: pcpartpicker.com/list/82hNJV

assuming 1080p, 1050ti will give you 30-40 fps at high settings while the 1060 will give you 60-70 fps at similar. so it depends on how much you want to scale down your textures

Intel CPUs are compromised.

A 1050 Ti will be worse than your 970, but the 1060 6GB will be better.
Can you RMA your 970?

cringe

yeah it'll be patched by friday

Lmao intel shill
kys

pcpartpicker.com/list/PjwfKZ

4500$ build. Almost complete. Tell me why I shouldn't buy these monitors.

>Microsoft is expected to publicly introduce the necessary changes to its Windows operating system in an upcoming Patch Tuesday

Amazon said they're releasing a patch on Friday

now these patches are what will create the performance hit, 5-30 percent depending on model, but chips with PCID will be closer towards 5 than 30. and this does affect MacOS too.

guys, i know you hate intel, but at least read the material

I see. Thanks for the suggestions!

Don't buy the 960 EVO
Why would you want a third monitor anyway

Ultrawide 1440 will be my main monitor for most games but I do want to game 4k skyrim/cities skyline which is why I added it. I do want to buy a 55-65" 4k hdr tv but I don't know if that would make sense for pc 4k gaming. If that would be fine then the 4k monitor is redundant. Pc gaming on my 40" 1080 never turned out well.

poojection

would i be better off getting two of these
amazon.com/Pixio-Display-Professional-FreeSync-Certified/dp/B0761P6MC7/

or one of these and keeping my current 27 inch 1920x1080 monitor along side it?

amazon.com/PG279Q-2560x1440-G-SYNC-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B017EVR2VM/

pic related is speccy

Le -30% face.

4k on a TV and 4k on a monitor are different stories
HDR isn't well supported and you won't have G-SYNC, either. I would say it's fine to buy the two monitors and also the TV because they differentiate themselves well enough.

read the fucking article. an intel chip with PCID will have a hit closer to 5% than 30%....and just like anything we should test it after the patch comes through.

will intelcucks EVER recover?

May I have opinions on this before I pull the trigger? $994 in total, acquiring everything locally.

Is passive GPU cooler relevant these days? Got a RX580 and full tower case

PG279Q is overpriced and actually worse than sone cheaper options
The Pixio monitor is Freesync so you will be dealing with a whole lot of tearing comparatively.

Brainlet here

I was going to get my parts tomorrow. Now, with the intel bug thing, is it better if I wait a week?

so what should i get instead? nothing under 1440p 27 inches and 144 hz

Don't pull it yet. Can you share the link for your build? I5-8600k is much better if you can buy at a competitive price. You will need a cpu cooler but you can get a noctua.

You'll want 16GB of memory if you can afford it, same with a 500GB SSD.
RX 570 is usually overpriced.
Not worth spending money on unless your card is particularly noisy

I'd rather take a 30% speed hit than shitty drivers that crash constantly

Would have done so if it were possible. That shit broke after two and half years so no warranty. My logic goes : better spend 160 for a card underperforming the 970 that would last two years or fork out 300 and hope it will last four, five years? How much better is the 1060 6gb than the 970 anyway? Is it worth it?

>I-I'd rather take a 30% s-speed hit b-b-baka!

I
CANT
BREATHE

id rather take a performance hit but keep being able to emulate amd purposfully gimps their CPUs for emulation

If you're buying 144hz+ (the best options are mostly 165hz) you're really going to want G-SYNC
I would compare the AOC AG271QG and the ViewSonic XG2703-GS
pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#r=256001440&p=1&A=1&sort=price&page=1&H=165,240

>being a REEEEEdditor normie cuck

you'll only take a 30% hit if you're using anything that isn't x86

Here you go user pcpartpicker.com/list/CywfKZ
I was settled on a i3-8350K + Noctua cooler, but switched it for the i5 + stock cooler per /pcbg/'s suggestion to save some money.
Trying to keep everything at a reasonable price (>$1000), I'd be going overboard with 16GB RAM/500GB RAM.
I'm paying $260 for the RX 570.

>my whole build is now sitting at home in parcels
>still 5.5 hours work remain

>CPUs need drivers

is b and h a reliable place to buy from? if so the aoc wins out here even if i dont know what that antenna is for

i hope its not outside or its now sitting in your neighbors homes probably already listed on ebay

They're Jewish, so no.
Kidding about that but it is true. Should be good to go.

nah its with concierge for my apartment building

>implying its not already "lost"

>upgrade to ryzen
>go from dual xeon spaceheater to AMD KOOL'N'QUIET™

>buying intel
>losing 30% performance
get a r5 1600 instead

Because all I was doing was replacing certain things in my current PC. Guess I'll replace the cooler too if that isn't sufficient.

>buying intel
>2018

you fucked up

Ok the only thing I'd consider is getting an additional hdd because 250gb isn't much.
The SSD should be enough for a boot drive + 2-3 games only. Also not now but depending on future needs consider 16gb ram but you probably won't need with that build.

>budget $1300-1500
>mostly gaming
>following logical increments

here's the build - pcpartpicker.com/list/XgsQjc

how to know what intel processors support PCID?

isnt this intel thing for applications running on the cloud or some shit?

So glad I never pulled the trigger on that i5-8400 build

pcpartpicker.com/list/DzP3KZ
First time seriously upgrading this stock pc I got in 2012. Can any anons confirm that my tower will be compatible/stable? Pcpart picker says it will be compatible but I need to be assured. Also any tips is much appreciated. Help a fellow user out please and Ty.

What is the cheapest way to replace this shitty cpu?
That'd include cpu/ram/mobo
I was thinking a r3 1200, but even a pentium 4600 would out perform the a8.

Forgot pic

Pentium G4560 or Ryzen 3 1200 for $30 more if you want real cores and overclockability.

It should all work no problem, but that's quite a bit to pay for B350.

for games that prefer single threaded high ipc (like csgo), intel would be a better choice but the 1200 is a great budget option, and it won't bottleneck cards up to rx580/1060

Then the building would pay me the full cost as its their responsibility

fr.pcpartpicker.com/list/dDkr9W
thoughts?

looks solid

Probably better to use stock or a tower cooler than a 120mm AIO
You can fit a full ATX motherboard
Odd choice in memory to say the least but don't expect it to run at 3333MHz
SSD is small

Is gsync/freesync a meme?