Myths people always believe

>keeping the battery of the laptop between 40% and 80% lets the battery last longer
it sounds pretty false imo but i might be wrong

Other urls found in this thread:

sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0921510714002657?via=ihub
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Look up lithium ion battery discharge depth.

There also people that believe that you need to fully discharge and recharge the laptop battery to not get "memory".
But this is only truth for nickel based batteries, lithium as the chart on the fp says is completely retarded.

Global warming

>Not taking out the battery and using the charger for power

Global warming is real, but the people shilling it are not.

That ain't a myth. Same goes for smartphones.
>my phone doesn't hold a charge after a year
(((They))) want you to think it's a myth because muh planned obsolescence

Earth is a 4D hexagon.

The height map hides it quite well.

so that actually works? how?

Apple makes good products.

0.02 has been deposited in your iTunes account.

It's true because it avoids fluctuations of the voltage, your phone does already a similar thing, it may display 0% battery but it's actually at 3~5% it does this to avoid severe damages, also batteries should never be stored fully charged or depleted for the same reason, 40% is ideal

But the benefits of this practice go to waste in most devices, since the batteries have to deal with strong heat sources which ruin them

idiot the thread is called myths people always believe

If it's Lithium Ion yeah
If it's Lead + Sulfate no.
Always get Lead + Sulfate battery.

Nice trips but I'm not going to lug around a car battery for my phone

he saying hook nosed man and shilling are both myths

I don't know the actual chemistry but the way is 'splained to me is the battery is under the most "stress" near 100% and 0% charge. If you keep it in the middle more, it will last longer. From what I understand you don't want to leave you phone plugged into the charger at 100% for long periods of time.

if that really is what he meant i acknowledge my 'tisms. i kinda doubt it though.

Li batteries live and die by the anodes and cathodes. Those parts are degraded by high charge and high heat.

The numbers aren't exactly accurate but not letting the device die/not leaving it plugged in when full is important

Lithium batteries literally break apart when near 0% and 100% charge.

See this introductory paper:
sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0921510714002657?via=ihub

>myths people always believe
That you can kill millions upon millions of people in a few years with the help of a few ovens.

The laptop battery dies quicker if you’re using it till the end, speaking from experience, as long as you charge it after 10% remaining you’ll be fine.

>Li-ion
>not LiPO
You fags deserve it

Current gen (SD835) devices are actually produce almost no hear compared to previous gens. If you've ever used a pixel 2/2xl it's literally never gets warm during use.

Same with the 1+5t in addition to dash charging which produces almost no heat, it can charge from 30-80 in 20 min and the battery never breaks 35C

damn

>buying lower energy density batteries
Why would you want to do this?

>damaging the charger

i do that with my phone

i have the [spoiler]iphone 5[/spoiler] still and it still works like new

So? Just keep your laptop plugged in. There's no reason to remove it.

>near 100% and 0% charge
And pretty much every rechargeable device with lithium batteries is protected against undercharging and overcharging.
Unless something goes horrible wrong your battery will never be to discharged to 0%.
What can be possible, is that your battery is intentionally overcharged so the manufacturer can advertise longer battery charge at the cost of charge cycles.

The "0%" in your smartphone is never an actual 0%. There's always some power left to make sure that the batteries don't break apart. Have you seen videos of people forcibly discharging lithium ion batteries by removing their protection circuit?

You can't overcharge Lithium batteries without overheating.
Technically they aren't overcharged as much as they are just utilizing the maximum capacity.
Most decide to mark Li Ion "Full" below the total maximum capacity to extend the life.

What he was talking about was keeping a device "topped off" at 100% for an extended duration. Which is not as good for your battery as doing close to full discharge / charge cycles.

>What he was talking about was keeping a device "topped off" at 100% for an extended duration.
Yes but the problem is what your device calls "100%".
It's rarely the absolute maximum charge you can get out of the battery. Rather it's the maximum charge that the manufacturer decided on.

So being "topped off at 100%" often means it's being held at something like 92% of actual capacity.

Doesn't matter though. Keeping it topped off is still going to use up more charge cycles as partials and degrading the battery faster.

Why dont phones or windows 10 have a setting to stop charging once hitting 80% charge? They already have warnings for low charge.

I just hate that if I leave my laptop connected, the lithium ion is at 100% for a long time which is bad.

Mine do, it says plugged in, stopped charging somewhere at 90%+ battery capacity.

Through win10 or seperate software?

mine laptop does

There's one thing tho, keeping at 100% is also not good in elevated temperature environments (like hot as fuck laptop) so many "pro" laptops like panasonic (and I heard thinkpad also) have option in bios to keep batteries at 80% - also called "hot climate" option.

there's software for that

I think the power manager for thinkpads has a setting like that, too

If anyone can point me to some good ones I'd be thankful

It's not really at 100%, more like low to mid 90s at least with laptops/phone batteries that I tested.

However 80% option is really nice to have.

This is for long time storage 40-60% charge and 20+/-5C temp.

Lenovo Settings app?

you are a tard.

Stock since windows 8 (getting update to 10), my parent's laptop were like that too both on windows 7 and 10.

I set my thinkpad's charge thresholds to 80-90 with tlp
Placebo, overkill, underkill, or just right?

>Not falling for the global warming meme

It's funny because most laptops haven't been charging batteries constantly for at least 20 years, and some do require it plugged in and will clock down if the battery is missing

>having a shit battery

You can hear a difference between FLAC and 320kbps.

any business laptop worth its salt has firmware allowing you to stop charging at 79%

Meanwhile at Lelnovo with 490 cycles...

>designed capacity 18Wh

does anyone have that image of some chinese dude lugging a car battery with him and charging his phone? I swear I've seen it here recently and I can't find it on google.

why hasnt this been fixed? after years of people leaving their phones plugged in overnight you'd think they'd come up with something to help that

Can't put much more into a 8" tablet

Because it doesn't matter with modern phones, they use AC when plugged in and dont charge the battery

Not the same guy, but thanks! Do you or anyone else know if there is an equivalent for GNU/Linux ?

WRONG. Any electronics more intricate than a toaster use DC.

They use energy from the AC to DC converter, not from the battery
Happy now, autist?

can you also say do not or don't?
:^)

Apologies if you are a minority for holding you to white standards.

Confirmed, my old T60 had that functionality through the Lenovo power management software (but nowhere to be found in WinXP). Most of Lenovo's stuff felt like bloat but power management alone was worth it.

>spoiler tags on /gee/