Operation Saskatoon

Hello there Sup Forums, address aside i need your help.
See, my little sister """accidentally""" used up all the data in her surface pro and it stopped working. This would not be a problem were it not for some important files that happen to be on there and determine the fate of her future career. So factory reset is out of the question.
In order to save her sorry behind, i've decided to use a live-boot USB to retrieve what little files i can from her computer before a factory reset is performed. However, i ran into a bit of a problem...

>Linux too big
I need a linux OS that is as small as possible, small enough to take up less than 2GB memory, as light-weight as possible (fuck, even an absent GUI is applicable if necessary), but operable enough to still perform the delicate operation of saving her files.
I come to you, Sup Forumsentoomen, asking for your recommendation on a linux OS small enough to fit my requirements, so that i can save what's left of her files before the factory reset is performed.

Will you help?
(pic related is what her omputer looks like on boot men. Its like a comatose downs inbred with autism atm)

Other urls found in this thread:

support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4023511/surface-boot-surface-from-a-usb-device),
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

ummm just get a better memory plan dummy

Professionals decided they could not save it.
I want to prove them wrong so i can laugh at them and add it to my resume.

Just use Lubuntu
Use Rufus to create the stick

Arch live is is like 500mb

I've not heard many flattering things about Arch however.
The biggest problem being its instability.

Give me some good reasons besides that sexy size.

do we get her nudes?

You're a dumbass

There are literally hundreds of distros that do this.
Go download SLAX, it's a 200MB iso and has nothing but a browser, terminal, and basic bash utilities.

WTF rude

Do we get your sister's nudes for providing you with tech support?

I'm honestly confused as to what the problem is. What do you mean "data"? I think of 4G or LTE but it seems you mean harddrive space. If so, then you can literally download most distros as they will definitely fit on a 2GiB USB. As for lightweight, I would recommend Lubuntu.

what does this mean? Any computer repairman would know to boot a livecd and copy the files (I think. It seems a common enough problem for normalfags).

file explorer included or can i navigate with trees or something in terminal?
This sounds really good.

>Any computer repairman would know to boot a livecd and copy the files
not these dumbasses...

This is a nice board.
Be nice.

Any instability doesn't matter, since you're presumably just booting the iso and copying the files over to another drive. I *really* hope you weren't planning on copying them to the iso, cause then the files would get erased after shutdown.

It has a basic GNOME interface iirc, it should have a file navigator.

>300MB less than Arch
>file navigator
SOLD, to the gentleman in chair #64117261!!!

I know, and it would be pretty neeto to do it all from terminal.
I plan on copying what files i can without writing over the ISO, speaking of, should i preserve persistent space across boots?

Forced niceness is the same as being fake.
You need a distro that can be booted from UEFi and which includes a signed bootloader. Most distros don't, so try lubuntu if whatever you choose first doesn't want to boot
Have fun~

>Have fun
i shall.

So using console what's the quickest way to move the most data from 1 file to the other?

i'm guessing:
[terminal shit]-$ cp [system file] [new file]

use this for faster transfers
find /path/to/files -type f | while read line; do dd if=/dev/zero of=$line bs=1k count=1024; done

use rsync.

user... why are you so mean?

to copy files, you can do
cp windows_file.txt linux_folder

to copy directories, do
cp -r windows_dir linux_folder

It may seem trivial but i'm havingg toruble getting the thing to boot from USB in the first place, it seems to outright ignore it.

I tried following these instructions (support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4023511/surface-boot-surface-from-a-usb-device), but they don't seem to work...

Just confirmed that ISO was installed correctly.

wont ever happen if its an RT model, also this is not your tech support

>not your personal army
>not your tech support
Sorry, i come here when i can't get help anywhere else because i think Sup Forums is (memes aside) pretty fucking good at what they do.
I'm no Sup Forumsentooman, but i come here humbly looking for help. Think of this more as an adventure or learning experience on my part with guidance form sensei rather than tech support. I don't expect good answers, in fact i expect some meme responses (as is necessary on any image board).

If you don't want to help me, then at least point me in the right direction and i will run to it as swiftly as the wind.

Did you mark the usb partition as bootable?

>mark the partition as bootable
Did some research, i assume both the U-USB-Installer and the manual operation do exactly that?

First i did manual cleaning and reformatting throuigh cmd prompt on windows 10 as administrator:
>diskpart
>list disk
>select disk (disk#)
>clean
>create partition primary
>active
>format fs=fat32 quick
>assign letter=S
>exit

After that I installed from an ISO image onto the USB as fat32 format using Universal-USB-Installer.

When i plug it in it flashes red once and then does nothing else, it gets warm too so i assume something is happening to it.
I managed to get the USB to boot before but i haven't the foggiest clue how.

puppy linux

wouldnt it be easier if you dissassmebly and got the hard drive /ssd out?

Antix or puppy linux

Why aren't you just booting linux from a usb drive then copying the files from there? This seems pretty straight-foward

This and why can't you just normally copy and paste the files over? Some kind of meme DRM?

You guys are all just fish in a barrel for OP,aren't you?
You all live in hope that some day someone will ask a question you can answer. And when one comes along it's bait. How sad.

Just dremel it out and get the ssd. This is dumb as fk op.