AMD struggles to be excluded from unwarranted intel vt flaw kernel patches

AMD struggles to be excluded from unwarranted intel vt flaw kernel patches

techpowerup.com/240187/amd-struggles-to-be-excluded-from-unwarranted-intel-vt-flaw-kernel-patches

Other urls found in this thread:

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux-415-x86pti&num=2
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=x86-PTI-Initial-Gaming-Tests
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Keep up, AMD's patch is going through.

This will be merged in 4.14.12 and 4.15rc7 the patch already got reviewed by a third party (from openSUSE) that has access to the cve ("security bugtracker"). There is no need to worry for AMD CPUs by this.

No worries. The kernel guys don't control the distros. They can relief AMD if they want.

Based intel.
I was worried there for a second that they will louse their lead.
This way everyone gets burned.

kernel devs have lost sanity long time ago

or someone is paying them to do things in return
Its a free market after all

Yeah, because Intel controls all GNU/Linux distros and users on Earth. No way to not 100% follow the vanilla kernel.

>intel devs force their patch on all AMD64
This is literally forced fuckery of competitors...

wtf...
Fuck the embargo and fuck intel

This.

Luckily independent developers can audit the code and distros can make their own choices.

>(((someone)))
>"oh but not there's no proof amd cpus are really immune"
>"we haven't verified it yet"

Irrelevant, I know already that SuSE won't merge this patch (that targets all CPUs) in their kernel, they already submitted a patch upstream and for OpenSuSE users it's irrelevant if Linus doesn't merge it.

Otherwise any sysadmin worth his salt will just put pti=off in the grub boot options on AMD hardware.

>forced fuckery
There is no "forced" in FOSS. You can either use the vanilla kernel as-is or use a modified version (which you probably already do). No need to gimp your AMD CPU if you happen to have one.

>There is no "forced" in FOSS

What's your point? Do you -need- to run systemd because it exists?
No you don't. I don't run it and anyone running Devuan/antiX/Void whatever probably doens't.

Also, even after Debian switched it is still trivial to remove systemd and restore sysv. I did this on my NAS and it's just like the old days.

FOSS is about choice. If you don't like some part of it you replace/modify it.

>There is no "forced" in FOSS.

You can spam logos of software you don't like all you want but it's still your own choice to install it.

>even Linus was FORCED to use Gnome 3 eventually

Torvalds better not fuck us over

Explain.

Does anyone know if Windows will cuck AMD too? If so, is it possible to deny that patch if I run Enterprise LTSB?

You don't want to deny that patch even if you could.

Remember: Windows is not FOSS so it's not about your choice. You will get this patch (as much as you want it, really).

Even if AMD is included in kernel upstream, you could always just turn it off.

Most likely yes. MS will be hurting Intel significantly if they don't patch AMD too.

>You don't want to deny that patch even if you could.
But why? I'm on an 1800X. My CPU is not affected by this bug.

>Remember: Windows is not FOSS so it's not about your choice.
You realize that you can uninstall security patches on Windows, right?

>Corporate entity fucks up, so they decide to fuck up shit for their competitor's clients as well
>Based
Pls be bait

Intel influence is too strong. Even when AMD didn't do anything wrong, even when Intel fucked up, AMD has to pay the price and get fucked in the ass.

AAHAHHAHAHAHAHA.

INTEL > AMD

not at all.
As a shareholder I have to protect my investment.
As longs as everyone fails Im ok because it levels the paying field.

So shilling on a random Japanese basket weaving forum is protecting your investment?

since GNOME is the best DE for linux distros, and Linus isn't a tasteless retard like the most of Sup Forums, his consciousness "forced" him to make the right choice and use it.

he tried XFCE few years ago and is now back to gnome

>what is /biz/
yes

>poo-z benchmark

>You realize that you can uninstall security patches on Windows, right?
You mean there exists a button that says it does just that? That's amazing! I also saw a few "Cancel" buttons on Windows dialogs. They also do exactly what they imply.

/biz/ is just crypto retard central though. Most haven't had any exposure to stocks except for maybe Niggerhood.

there was a time when that wasn't the case ;_;

wsb is the place for us now

So, it's not forced at all. He just decided for himself that GNOME is his preferred DE.

Well, he is free to install any DE he likes. I like fluxbox (don't ask why, FOSS is about choice and this one's mine) so I installed that but that doesn't mean I was "forced" to do that.

okay real talk
if I get a ryzen 5 1600 and pairt it with 2133mhz RAM, will I get serious problems or is it some min maxing thing?
I'll get new RAM of course, as soon as the price goes down to a reasonable amount

>as soon as the price goes down to a reasonable amount
That wont happen in the year 2018 and by the end of the said year we will already have Zen+ so you should e on the lookout for that.

I haven't seen this confirmed anywhere, just a Reddit comment.

Do you have a source?

As fucked as it is this would be hilarious.

>Do you have a source?
Rebbit isn't a good enough sauce for you?

>another pajeetpowerup """news""" post
call me up when a valid news source, not sponsored by jewtel, reports on this

DELID THIS

Amd btfo

No, just like Sup Forums isn't.

>since GNOME is the best DE...

Stoped here

So should i be buying a ryzen 5 1600x or a i5 7600k ? What is better for gaming?

After the shit storm is settled, who knows.
But all evidence currently suggests that the AMD will be the better choice for now.

RAM is only a problem if you want 3000MHz or more. Anyways, with the latest AGESA most RAM issues have been fixed.

Nice CPU

Oh no.

I heard you don't like thumbnails in your file picker

Doesn't matter if you run systemd. It's in your system and can't be audited

>This shows that AMD's requests are being turned down by Kernel developers. Their intentions are questionable in the wake of proof that AMD processors are immune

Sounds like a linux problem. Get a better OS.

Got one showing Intel? AMD's drop is irrelevant because it doesn't need the patch.

What is that?

Gaming and video encoding not affected.

Consumer level applications. Aka 90% of Intel users.

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux-415-x86pti&num=2
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=x86-PTI-Initial-Gaming-Tests

>Sup Forums predicts Trump beats Hillary
>nobody trusts Sup Forums
Sometimes there's a diamond in this poo-covered coal mine

We'll see about that. There are no Windows benchmarks and no Nvidia benchmarks yet, and Windows/Intel/Nvidia is the majority of users for both those segments.

This.

Sup Forums is always right, except when they're obviously being wrong on purpose for the keks

>Always right

Do you not remember Ron Paul posters?

so if the 3570k does not have the VT-X extension it is safe?

Virtual memory, not virtualisation. VT-X is irrelevant, you're boned.

Do one where the KDE font has terrible smoothing and is a couple of pixels out of alignment every line.

Did you legit take a photo of your computer screen?

i just use drag and drop

honestly, i embraced the gnome's workflow and now i simply can't use anything else.

>2600x

It's clearly a leak.

>DUDE INTEL LMAO I LOVE CORRUPT BUSINESS PRACTICES AND SLOPPY ENGINEERING AS LONG AS IT FUCKS OVER AMD

I hope AMD will sue Intel to hell and back if this affects their business.

2600X? how?

Even if this were true, Wellick is just as insane and delusional as Elliot, just in a different way.

>90% of intel users
kek

SystemD is open source last I checked.

>AMD's drop is irrelevant because it doesn't need the patch.
What's relevant is that Microsoft forced the patch even on AMD which doesn't need it.

Nobody uses Windows for servers so really doesn't matter.