Mainstream news are finally reporting it

cnbc.com/2018/01/03/amd-shares-surge-on-report-of-an-intel-chip-security-flaw.html
bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-01-03/amd-soars-after-rival-intel-said-to-reveal-processor-flaw
telegraph.co.uk/technology/2018/01/03/fix-critical-intel-chip-flaw-will-slow-millions-computers/
theverge.com/2018/1/3/16844630/intel-processor-security-flaw-bug-kernel-windows-linux

Other urls found in this thread:

reuters.com/article/us-cyber-intel/design-flaw-found-in-intel-chips-fix-causes-them-to-slow-report-idUSKBN1ES1BO
theguardian.com/technology/2018/jan/03/major-security-flaw-found-intel-processors-computers-windows-mac-os-linux
techpowerup.com/240187/amd-struggles-to-be-excluded-from-unwarranted-intel-vt-flaw-kernel-patches
lkml.org/lkml/2017/12/27/2
bbc.co.uk/news/technology-42553818
theregister.co.uk/2018/01/02/intel_cpu_design_flaw/
cnbc.com/2018/01/03/intels-alleged-security-flaw-could-cost-chipmaker-a-lot-of-money-bernstein.html
twitter.com/grsecurity/status/948170302286172160
twitter.com/brainsmoke/status/948561799875502080
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

WEW

Remember that dude in the threads last night saying he wouldn't believe it until mainstream sources reported?

AHAHHAHHAAAAAAAAAA

Kek, even better than expected. This is another example of a public relations department operating with the elegance of a crack whore. Instead of clearing this up the self they have it leak via kernel hotfix patchnotes, analyzed by autists on a Bhutanese woodcarving forum and spread all over the news by journalists that didn't know their macbook had a CPU until they googled what it was. This is worse than united knocking that gook out and saying it was the right thing to do.

The performance hit won't even be that much of a problem for normal users, but now the normies will be pissed off too. In addition to the server landscape that is in well founded fury over pretty much all their x86 infrastructure getting fucked.

> a Bhutanese woodcarving forum

Kekis maximus. True though.

Hey g what about all those legacy Linux systems winxp systems and embedded crap? It's all fucked now right? Who the fuck is suing who over this crap storm?

Lol! Btfo . Yay.

>The performance hit won't even be that much of a problem for normal users
Normal users are heavily reliant on The Cloud™, though.

sure, but they're not the ones that have to patch its infrastructure and keep it running/get it running again. The downtime will be expensive and in addition to that many companies will have problems to get their dev teams that haven't managed to push out an up to date piece of software for half a decade to produce something that works with the updated kernel

Which means regular users are going to have to deal with a significant slow down after the patching is done. Unless Amazon and Google have 30+% percent extra CPU power just sitting around.

He ded?

we don't know how much on an impact it will have on different applications. The double digits we've seen in some benchmarks better be outliers or lawyers will have a field day with intel. Well, they'll do that anyways i guess.

Of all the shit intel has to care about right now netflix being a bit slower surely isn't one of their top priorities. This will hit database applications and other I/O heavy stuff the hardest. Normies hardly interact with shit related to that.

>Hey g what about all those legacy Linux systems winxp systems and embedded crap? It's all fucked now right?
Yes, but it was already fucked.

Legacy Linux is supported through LTS kernels and anyone can backport the fixes to even older releases if necessary. Winders is completely on its own

>The performance hit won't even be that much of a problem for normal users
>windows is supposed to take the biggest hit
>normies use windows
>somewhat won't be a problem
>even when the servers they use for streaming, gaming and all will take the hit
Nigga pay attention.

>windows is supposed to take the biggest hit
citation needed

In terms of games Directx has a lot more systemcalls than both Opengl and Vulkan, most of the games use Directx.

RIP in Peace.

which is still nothing to typically I/O limited database and networking tasks

I recall Sup Forums saying for years that x86 is insecure. Why is this news?

Because now ALL Intel processors for the last decade will be slowed down by 30%.

Does that include my old i7-930? Should've never upgraded desu.

More:
reuters.com/article/us-cyber-intel/design-flaw-found-in-intel-chips-fix-causes-them-to-slow-report-idUSKBN1ES1BO
theguardian.com/technology/2018/jan/03/major-security-flaw-found-intel-processors-computers-windows-mac-os-linux

AMD shares are up 7 percent, Intel is down 3 percent.

TUMBLING DOWN TUMBLING DOWN TUMBLING DOWN

I have a skylake 6600 how fucked am I? AMD GPU can't remember the model

techpowerup.com/240187/amd-struggles-to-be-excluded-from-unwarranted-intel-vt-flaw-kernel-patches

very fucked, time to buy next gen ryzen in a month

lkml.org/lkml/2017/12/27/2

brainlet

bbc.co.uk/news/technology-42553818

Citation needed

Tfw face when rip in peace

Does this mean that AMD have won the CPU war?

I'm still using a 10 year old Core2Duo and I'm planning on upgrading this year, what CPU should I get?

theregister.co.uk/2018/01/02/intel_cpu_design_flaw/

Second gen ryzen later next month

TUMBLING

Guys, I have a problem.

My toilet stopped working, and I don't know whats wrong with it, it just won't fill up with water anymore. So I've been shitting and pissing in it hoping it would start working again or I could like pour hot water in it, but that hasn't worked.

Now, a week later, my toilet it full to the brim shit and toilet paper and I'm too embarrassed to call a plumber.

What do I do? Scoop it out in buckets? Where do I put it?

ur fukt m8

Which takes a performance hit.
Have you not seen the test notes linked in prior threads? I/O pushes slow down a fuck load.

>mfw I bought a truckload of AMD stock two weeks ago
what a great way to start the new year

>30% degradation.

The real number is probably closer to 50%.

Every "i#-####" chip is effected, i3, i5, i7, i9, Xeons; any chip since Westmere for certain.
Possibly older chips if they shared the same faulty component in their design.

Good job frog - o

Are AMD prices going to skyrocket?

This happened to my next door neighbour, he called a guy to clean the blockage, pretending that it was just backed up sewage.

Well I guess they'll need to by 30% more intel servers goy

cnbc.com/2018/01/03/intels-alleged-security-flaw-could-cost-chipmaker-a-lot-of-money-bernstein.html
>The analyst notes the company's liability will likely be larger than the $475 million charge for the Pentium FDIV bug in 1994 and the $700 million charge for the Cougar Point chipset problem in 2011.

OYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

>Bernstein.

Oyyy Veyyy

IT KEEPS FALLING

DELET THIS NOOOOOOOO

Actually, for non-PCID Skylake it's 63%. Not even kidding: twitter.com/grsecurity/status/948170302286172160

Will Core2Duos be affected too? I mean, even earlier models from 2006/2007 like the E6550

STOOOPPPPPPP

no

its just 5% nothing to see

If you actually know what you're walking about then I have this to say
AHAHAHAHHA
AHAHAHAHAHAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH'HAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
G A Y M E R S B T F O
T
F
O

then 3 more today, then 7 more tommorow...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

It's even worse than we thought
twitter.com/brainsmoke/status/948561799875502080

>buying stocks like a cuck

DELET

newfag

I want to know this too someone benchmark the new kernal on a core 2 duo libreboot machine. I want to know how bad it is

NO NO NO NO NO NO
IT WAS OUR TURN

that's probably the funniest thing ive ever seen

I would like to read a poem

Intel sleeping tight

Doesn't hear the rumblings near

Spread those cheeks my friend

GOD FUCKING DAMN IT

built a 6600k gayming pc two years ago, am i fugged? it looks like i'm fugged

I just got a 7700k with 1080ti last year

Its fine 6% isnt shit user

I don't know if it's true, but some people were saying it goes back to Pentium II

>Intel Corporation
Even the stock website is meme arrowing intel

It's related to their insecure implementation of speculative execution, so, yes.
Fuck yes!

its going to go to 8% at the least today screencap this

it's going to be -400% before the day is up

I feel like everyone is ignoring the fact that this patch with the performance hit is a TEMPORARY WORKAROUND, a way to plug up the security vulnerability, until they find something more suitable and reasonable that they'll replace it with. The performance hit will be, at best, like a month, and yet everyone is acting like INTEL IS FINISHED LUL

Literally too big to fail.

ITS ACCELERATING

this was right

In 1 year intel get ~24,5%, when AMD 4%.

EXPONENTIALLY

AMD is almost the same but in the opposite direction

Is it worth it to upgrade from i5-3550 to Ryzen 5 1600? Im a little short on money

Sell more brian

does this mean intel cpus will be cheaper now

finally i can upgrade from my pentium

yes but second gen ryzen is pretty close like next month close

>tfw ryzen

Should've done it in Black Friday.
1600 was selling for literal peanuts.

Buy AMD stocks now and you'll have enough money to upgrade in a month.

I am not normally triggered, but I'm just not taking shit any more. Go fuck a chainsaw

buy now

top fucking kek

Noooooooo

Yeah, it was posted on reddit, too and that's where the mainstream gets its "sources" from.

>own intel
>still happy about it
The more intel drops the more money I make.

It's funny how in this day and age you don't make it big by being the best. You make it big by having your competitor fuck up spectacularly.

>Shares of AMD were up 8.8 percent Wednesday, while Intel's stock declined more than 4 percent

>Intel shares rose 27 percent in 2017 versus AMD's stock 9 percent decline.

Sooo.. Intel 23% up and AMD 0.2% down

buy high sell low

You are seriously underestimating the abyssal horror that is Excel and Access

showing up on Yahoo too.

This is going absolutely wild.
And that's coming from Intel, that managed to sweep suicidal Atoms under the rug.