/pcbg/ - PC Building General - 30% Edition

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and _monitor_ suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>*Avoid intel momentarily: theregister.co.uk/2018/01/02/intel_cpu_design_flaw/
>*G4560/G4600 for non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>R5 1600 / *i5 8400 - Great gaming (especially the i5 8400) or multithreaded use CPUs (especially the R5 1600)
>R7 / *Used Xeon / Threadripper / *i7 - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports

Graphics cards:
>Consider Vega 56 for a Freesync monitor
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>GTX 1050Ti and 3GB 1060 are the only reasonably priced cards; 6GB 1060 or 4GB 580 if you want to overpay a little
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Previous

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=gz9hxy5axqo
techpowerup.com/240187/amd-struggles-to-be-excluded-from-unwarranted-intel-vt-flaw-kernel-patches
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-Tip-Git-Disable-x86-PTI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I just have too many damn peripherals, but yeah. I might end up going with that route.

#DONGLE LIFE

asus is just shit

how important is dual channel ram for ryzen 3, this video makes it look like dual channel is much more important than ram frequency
youtube.com/watch?v=gz9hxy5axqo

op''s pic won the day

also is there a point of upgrading from q9650 to ryzen 3 1200 ? i was also thinking about 1400
pc fo web browsing writing and playing older game

I think everyone should get dual channel if they can.

don't even bother buying shit right now, second gen ryzen is like a month away and intel fucked up hard

you'd probably get performance increase from anything just due to newer architecture

Got an MSI Radeon R9 270x laying about since i can't be fucked to figure out why it keeps crashing. Sent it in to get refurbished and it came back with the same issue. So either they didn't fix it or i'm just retarded(likely.)

>Main question
Why am i posting? Well because i decided to look the card up to check for compatibility issues and noticed there's no pricing for it. Was it a shit card that they discontinued?

>Issues i had with it
Launching Mad Max through Steam it would get as far as the opening movie before screentearing different colors until finally crashing with a long buzzing noise. Only option was a forced restart.
Thing i found odd was that i could play Witcher 3 for like 4 hours before anything happening but i could also get a crash just watching a movie on vlc.

look in the event log for the crash and see the error code

Some RAM I've been looking at advertises the 3200 MHz, but reviews say that it doesn't run at that speed out of the box and you have to overclock it to reach that. Even then, people are saying it's not too stable and they have to settle on a slower setting. Is this common with all brands? The specific one I've been looking at are two sticks of 8GB DDR4 by G.Skills from their Ripjaws V series.

a lot of cheap ram is already running near the limit and will become unstable on overclocking.

technically all those rams are OC
there are only very few clock/latency combinations that are "stock"
What they are advertised as, like 3200Mhz C16, is just the XMP OC profile they come with.

How do I turn my 5th and 6th cores on? When I encode videos, it only encodes 4 at once. Pretty sure I have All-Core enabled in the bios.

What's the best and apu for the price? Is the fx series good for a streaming/classic emulation PC??

I think it depends. If you're building a budget PC right now and want to upgrade your RAM in the future, you should buy a single 8GB DDR4 stick instead of an 2x4GB kit.

I got an A8-9600 it seems okay so far for anything 2010 and before at 1080p with some of the more demanding effects turned off
if you only want DOS tier games, don't care about x86 and don't mind ARM consider a asus Tinkerboard

I have a i7-4790K. Will the 30% hit me, or do they only apply to newer CPUs?

The fact that you're letting yourself be memed by AMD fanboys shows you're not a very smart person.

I don't necessarily believe it, but its always better to be on the safe side.

So I'm still using my old i5-3470 and haven't had any issues since I bought it in 2013. Was wondering if it would cause any issues if I upgrade my 970 to 1070

I'm thinking of returning my Coffee Meme and getting Ryzen. Should I worry about only having 2666 MHz RAM instead of the Ryzen Approved™ 3000-3200 MHz?

I really want to get a GPU (currently on a 270) but I dont want some marginal upgrade that I will have to change in 3 years again.
I decided on the 1070 but prices are so depressingly insane right now.
The lowest I could find on amazon is this guy, the aero, for 408€.
Full lenght models are aroudn 550€

I checked out reviews for this card and it seems to be pretty good clock and thermal wise despite the size.

Any suggestions?
I live in italy so prices are shit and I dont have many options

yes it affects you

If I'm the last coffee lake owner so be it...
>FALLING FOR AMD FALSE FLAG

techpowerup.com/240187/amd-struggles-to-be-excluded-from-unwarranted-intel-vt-flaw-kernel-patches

Fuck you amd SHILLS your going down with the ship too!!!
>breathing intensifies

(you) need to step up your damage control

If it makes you feel better

You could try getting a used 980 Ti. IIRC it's as good or slightly better than 1070.

All memory past 2666 is overclocked.
Some memory has problems breaking the 3GHz barrier on Ryzen, and more hitting 3200.

>BSOD memory management lately once in a blue moon on a decently new build when either playing games or sometimes just fucking around on the desktop
So 9/10 times this means one of my RAM sticks is fucked right? The Windows Diagnostic tool doesn't show shit but I know it's not the end all.

poojection, also dumb phoneposter

You won't find a 1070 for much less than 400€ in europe, if you want to save some money get a 1060/580 and keep the extra money you didn't spend for your future upgrade.

What is the maximum price i should pay for this?
ASUS Maximus Formula Intel X38 Socket LGA 775/CPU Intel Core Duo Quad Q9650 3.0Ghz/8GB RAM DDR2 G.Skill/Zalman CNPS9700
The actual price is for 50€

sadly they cost a lot more and power draw would be an issue

why would i half assedly upgrade now to upgrade later?
prices are always going to be shite where I am, might as well accept it

I'm going for a system overhaul, is a M.2 ssd worth it?
Can I run both windows and linux on it or is it gonna be a huge trouble of shitty drivers like back when commercial SCSI drives came out?

Wouldn't call half assed the disparity between a 1060 and a 1070 in terms of an upgrade, if you're not willing to compromise for anything below that just get a 1080ti and don't come here complaining about 400€, coglione

what you're saying would make sense if I could foresee upgrading to a xx80 or ti card in the future but I dont see myself going past 1080p for quite a while, and I dont have multiple monitors, dont use vr, so a xx70 is an upgrade made to be durable for some years
no need to get triggered, suggesting upgrading to a 1060 and then a 1070 later is beyond retarded and you not seeing that is even more baffling

I never said you HAVE to upgrade to a 1070 from a 1060, I said you can keep the extra money for your future upgrade when it'll happen, there would be no point upgrading from a 1060 to a 1070 in a few years unless you're on a very strict budget, what triggers me is that you're complaining about spending 400€ but don't want anything that costs less, a little research and you'd be able to tell it's not possible to spend much less for a 1070 so either get that or get something inferior for less money, it's not rocket science.

So i was thinking on buying a pc with (pic), price is about 1000 dollars on my currency , is it worth it?

If I wanted to get a placeholder card for a later upgrade I wouldnt get a 1060 which costs 300 bucks, I would get something like a used 970 or 480 for 200 you mong

No, not really.

Lol no
Don't do prebuilt you retarded faggot. Build or ollie hoop through a noose and neck yourself

I feel sad that i bought an 8400 2 months ago.

So what do I do. Delay my intel build until we know more?

get a Ryzen. Intel won't have secure chips for a while.

I wanted to upgrade to a RX580 but since the Intel bug appeared I fear it might affect my max frames and be bottlenecked by my 3570 before I reach 144fps. What should I do?

Do I have to go ryzen now?

Delay your builds, don't jump ship to Ryzen, retards. There's no guarantee AMD won't be affected too. In fact it most likely will due to how Windows works. Don't listen to the shills and just wait.

amd can't afford shills, these are just fanbois doing it for free

don't worry, it'll all go away in

yes or waif for second gen ryzen

Also, all the estimates and """benchmarks""" come from some random fuck using a rushed fix on Poonix.

THANKS /PCBG/ FOR RECOMMENDING ME A RYZEN

1000 is a really bad deal for that setup
left is your build on US pcpartpicker, right is what you could actually get for that sum

>Poojection
every fucking time

you should really pick a different picture for your "blacked" thing, that chick is either mexican or black already...

the fact that you have a catalog of these images really says something...

my bad forgot pic

I'm smelling you from way over here, Ranjeet.

forgot pic

Really says that you are easily upset

wat

Dont bother with WD, seagate is better nowadays

When are gpu prices dropping or next gen coming out?

Originally I was gonna buy something last May but the unending mining crisis happened so I've been tiding over with a 1060 3gb I got for $160 with a ryzen build being bottlenecked by it.

t. brian
time to sell more shares

how do you forget your pic twice

Who the fuck doesn't have a catalog of those?

Don't get a card with 3gb or ram you will regret it

>projecting this hard

how about you go shit up the rest of Sup Forums, like your cohorts, while the adults discuss actual matters

How necessary is it really to get a sound card for a PC?

You keep replying and trying to have an argument with someone posting meme images

not at all, mobo sound is fine unless you have very high end speakers or headphones

Idk. My 10+ year old Creative card has been with me through 4 or so different rigs and only with my current mobo I couldn't really tell the difference in audio quality.

this wasnt me, some weird guy

not at all

It isn't unless you're planning on spending over a grand on sound equipment to play your FLACs, or you have a particular theatre set up that needs 7.1 surround or something like that.

recent integrated sound is indistinguishable from high end shit. save on chips, spend on speakers.

Update your BIOS.
Test your RAM with MemTest86.
If neither of this helps, RMA your RAM.

>buy amd
>its 30% slower anyway

at least I'll save some money. based asian lucy ceo lady! I can finally fit in with those guys on reddit.

He can't, to sell more he'd have to resign from his CEO position.

why is ram so expensive?

>Fuck you amd SHILLS your going down with the ship too!!!
Actually no:
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-Tip-Git-Disable-x86-PTI

Microsoft will probably do the same thing, prepare your ass Intel poo.

will this bitch work on a Z77A-G41 (MS-7758)?

colluding koreans

living standards in china are rising
soon cheap computers will be made in indian slums

>blacked.

Lol this retarded board doesn't know shit. If you don't know what you're talking about then don't try to respond to people who ask questions. Retarded plonkers. It's because of demand in RAM for smartphones.

oh yeah I bet the GPU prices raised because of smartphones too.
hint: CRYPTOGAY

So I know Intel hasn't released any statement yet, but based on the fixes getting rolled out and the speculated issue, it really, REALLY looks like Intel knowingly sacrificed security to cut corners and get higher performance.
If that can be proven in any way, Intel is literally finished as a company. As in, not in a meme way, like literally defunct and bought by someone else after being sued into bankruptcy. This could be the actual end of Intel

besides that RAM is only manufactured in south korea, taiwan (and probably japan?). There are no up to date process nodes outside of those three japanese countries, the US and europe.

so what are the best 140mm fans for case and cpu?

2big2fail
If this problem really turns out to be as bad as it seems, they will invest hard in damage control, people will forget about it in a month and that will be the end of that.

Does it have an M.2 slot? If so, yes. If not, no.

not anymore

Case fans would be something optimised for airflow
CPU fans would be optimised for static pressure

>This could be the actual end of Intel
NOOOOOOO RRRRREEEEEEEEE

First time builder. I'm a little scared of static damage. I'll be building on a wooden table and tiled floor. Am I fine like that or do I get an anti static wristband just in case?

any models in particular?

just don't wear wool, and ground yourself to the case before touching anything else. static is not a big deal, just yolo it.

Today I have assembled my first PC ever, it felt so good but I wasn't able to install the Hyper 212 evo cpu cooler, so I went with the stock one.
The instruction paper wasn't clear at all, and by following an youtube videos I risked snapping my Motherboard in half.
I think I'm retarded