Black mirror is a tv show about dystopian futures where emerging technologies are used in interesting but scary ways

Black mirror is a tv show about dystopian futures where emerging technologies are used in interesting but scary ways.

My question and the topic of this thread is, how do We/I as a technologist keeps these futures from happening and only keep the good parts?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_Credit_System
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_teleportation
youtube.com/watch?v=fwRiFQjMkNs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>I as a technologist

In my definition technologist would be someone who enjoys working and studying anything related to ~relevant technologies.

By using DeepMind's tests.

DUDE SOFTWARE UPDATE = WORMHOLE

DUDE I'M STUCK IN MY GAME ON AN OFFLINE SERVER THAT SOMEHOW GOT PATCHED

DUDE MEMORIES ARE STORED IN DNA

This show is retarded. It's literally "turn off your brain" tier.

Some episodes are unsettling. The social media one and that VR horror game one.

Memories really are stored in DNA
Sucks

the show has a few selectively good episodes
shut up and dance was great
white bear was great
the very first episode with the prime minister was okay
turns out the whole technology thing is the weak point of this show and the ones that don’t center around it/are realistic about it are the ones that thrive

This, especially the memories stored in DNA triggered me hard.

Please read Ted Kazinskis Book..

idiocracy wasn't a great movie, go figure

Kill yourself, you disgusting fanboy. The manifesto is just a bunch of pretentious horseshit and flawed arbitrary examples about "good" and "bad" technology.

Who is this q t?

I liked the one with the autonomous dog drones, that one was pretty good.

Black Mirror is what happens when developers are in charge of everything.

Have you read it? Cause its not wrong..

good advice OP
You seem to be triggered you fucking kike, why don't you give an example?

>I get my technological background and knowledge from movie flicks

kek

The show just makes social commentaries on modern day issues and strawman's them using technologies of the future. Or it takes cliche plots and add technology to them.

Don't think too hard about it, because otherwise it's a pretty good and fun show. It's refreshing to have bleak twilight zone-esque endings. I just wish they stopped rehashing the whole "sentient code rights" and "its all a simulation" over and over again.

It's also interesting to try and piece together how it's all supposed to exist in the same universe, which it supposedly does. Men Against Fire being either a documentary or a TV show that exists in the "Black Mirror" universe.

Could be worse, some people get politics from MTV.

The episode centered around devices that interface with your brain. It would have been so easy to fix the DNA plothole by just saying that the device mapped their brain. It would also be a commentary on how much data corporations hold on us.

It's written by this guy who is about as subtle as a fucking hammer when it comes to ramming his left wing political views down your throat.

He's called Charlie Brooker. Search him on youtube and watch one of his childish edgy "rants" and you'll see immediately what I mean.

>gets sunburnt
>who am i?

this

some episodes are forced but the whole point is that they try hard to represent the issues that technology solves and at the same time the new ones that it creates realistically.

Yeah it's lame that simulations created with DNA have memories, but the point of the episode is depicting an uber-nerd that vents his frustrations in life inside a VR game. THAT is very much fucking realistic. Even though a real slimy frustrated neckbeard wouldn't forget to add the genitals to his simulations and make himself a bunch of virtual sex slaves.

The point of the series is to make you think about what could go wrong with technology.

>flawed logic
>not wrong
Brainlet detected.

>why don't you give an example?
Refrigerators, read his arbitrary reasoning of why its supposedly good technology.

Yeah, that hasnt proven your point..

so we don't have prototype kill dogs like mentioned.

>how do We/I as a technologist keeps these futures from happening and only keep the good parts?
One man's utopia might as well be another's dystopia. I don't think we're gonna have very clear consensus on what parts to keep and what to avoid.

>too stupid to recognise logical errors in reasoning
You already proved you were a brainlet, no reason to continue hammering it in. We totally get it already.

well, it could be worse, some people get their knowledge from websites like Sup Forums.

the whole premise of the episode depended on these virtual clones to have any sort of freedom, feeling, morality, or human drive when they're literally electrons spinning through a computer. this shit could never happen, not even remotely possible or probable.

also, why the fuck does pausing the game not pause the actual characteres? what kind of shitty flaw is that? is it really that hard to stop the characters from interacting with each other when you pause the game? he didn't even know they were plotting against him the whole time yet he's 'god'.

fuck off charlie brooker shills the show is complete ass

uh huh.. right

still, read the book, stop being such an easily butthurt faggot.

He says it is bad technology. You cannot manufacture it yourself or provide electricity enough to run it without a generator - which you also cannot make.

What a stupid point to have in regards to your shit flinging first post, you idiot

>read the book
You mean manifesto.

I knew as soon as I watched it that this episode would piss off a certain type of person.

>when they're literally electrons spinning through a computer

To be fair, your consciousness is just electrons spinning through your brain.

a somalian AK-47 eating board is still better than reddit.

>everyone should be a loner like me and not depend on society

I was actually on board until about 30 minutes in. I can accept some BS, but it just got too ridiculous as it went on.

Once you start delving into the show, you start realizing that a lot of the situations it purports could only realistically happen in an already dystopic/draconian world.

Episodes like the social credit rating one could only happen in a world where you are forced via the government to be a part of this system, otherwise what would stop a person from going "bankrupt" and creating a new account or ignoring it all together?

black mirror post season 2 is complete dogshit.
trust americans to ruin and homogenise a once interesting and unique show.

Sup Forums has been shit for years. Reddit is useful if you actually want to discuss a given topic and learn from responses.

Not an argument. Read something and form an opinion before trying to tear someone else down for doing just that.

>emerging technologies are
*magic is

0% of the stuff on the show constitutes a realistic prediction of future technologies.

What did they meant by that? That naturally this is happening or that in this show exists technology whoch allows to save memories in DNA?
Of it's latter, then sure thing it's science fiction, but not that retarded as you think.
I read an article about some scientists who managed to use DNA to store data.
It would be quite useful if this existed. Imagine not having Alzheimer's and with increased lifespan no problems storing more memories.

t.haven't seen thos show

science fiction is about the present

your definition's shit

>It's written by this guy who is about as subtle as a fucking hammer.

This, it's a very well made and acted show for the most part, but fuck me every episode screams TECHNOLOGY IS BAD YOU ARE SHEEP it's hard to enjoy the fucking thing.

What standards could you two possibly have? I've heard complaints about Mr. Robot, which are valid and understandable. What exactly is the problem with Black Mirror past the second episode? Do you two just instinctively hate any TV shows or movies that have achieved relative success? Or is it this?
When you don't politically align with a director his work is automatically not worth considering? Or are you just pretending to satirize like CinemaSins?

>muh DNA can't transfer experience

Science fiction is successful because it does away with limits. Teleportation would obviously never work and no one cares.

>you all just hate it for no reason, it's flawless and anyone who says otherwise is a neckbeard who hates interracial couples
Let's just take this to its logical conclusion.

Charlie Brooker should have stopped after two seasons. His "wipe" series sucks ass now that he is a full blown sjw. He makes a lot of money of it.

He got married.

>When you don't politically align with a director his work is automatically not worth considering? Or are you just pretending to satirize like CinemaSins?
It goes too far for my liking is all user, different ways to send a message, especially when the show's strong point is the mystery and intrigue.

minus the whole host of chemical interactions that also take place

This is what it looks like when you write a character's gender and race before you compose the actual story that they're in.

because everything about the episodes from s3 and 4 are predictable hot garbage.
the social networking one especially from s3 has the structure literally ripped from a bog standard generic hollywood shitshow.
>act 1: woman has happy life
>act 2: conflict, woman reaches lowest moment
>act 3: woman meets a guru wise elder type character and teaches her not to worry about anything
>act 4: resolution for woman, happy ending
it's the furthest thing that black mirror could be up to that point. it fits right in with all the other predictable hot american garbage.

Haven't watched the newest season yet but the Christmas special with not-Don Draper was easily the best episode of the whole show.

>When you don't politically align with a director his work is automatically not worth considering?

No, I'm just giving some context to who he is for the Americans.

He's not Quentin Tarantino. He's a "comedian" and (heavily) left-wing political satirist.

You can't.
/thread

>full blown sjw

I'm so tired of this. Critically acclaimed shows will never conform to cartoon frog/Trumpkin aesthetics.

You'll just have to live with the one-time luck of Russian interference.

Hello Charlie

Happy ending in Black Mirror? I haven't seen season 4 yet, but in which episode from the preceding three seasons did this happen? Do you mind answering which TV shows aren't garbage?
I'm not sure who this is, but at last he admitted.

They were very cute, I was rooting for the doggos the whole time while that cunt was running around.

Plenty of shows don't ram their agendas down your throat user, I'm okay with gays, DIVERSITY, and respect wimmens but when you shove this shit with no reason other than shoving it, it hurts your cause more than it helps it.

You can screw a screw, and you can hammer it in, same goal, different outcomes.

>which episode from the preceding three seasons did this happen?
None of S01 or S02.
S03E01
S03E04 (iirc)
S03E06 (iirc)
S04E01
S04E04 (Actually works quite well though)
S04E06

>Once you start delving into the show, you start realizing that a lot of the situations it purports could only realistically happen in an already dystopic/draconian world.
I'm sorry to break it to you user but our world is already pretty dystopian.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_Credit_System

chemical reactions, computations...what's the difference? Both have subatomic processes at their core.

Brooker and his ultra leftist friend Glinner (I.T. Crowd) are known to be channers. If you want to suck his dick go to

>Plenty of shows don't ram their agendas down your throat user

Let me guess:

>The Walking Dead
>Big Bang Theory
>Fixer Uppers

Is that about right?

Teleportation is real dude. We just can't teleport anything bigger than an atom yet. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_teleportation

>Vikings.
>GoT.
>Parks and rec.
>Lucifer and Shameless, both shit but w/e.
>Archer.
>Hannibal.
Off the top of my head.

>equating this factoid to actual teleportation of objects as depicted in sci-fi.

Don't be obtuse.

youtube.com/watch?v=fwRiFQjMkNs

I know about this, and China is already facing huge domestic issues as a result from the people fighting against things like this and other overbearing government regulations. Dystopias do not survive for long.

You can take snippets of them but they never last, especially not in a day and age where the average person is no longer starving and is more connected than ever.

GIB ME MONEY ON PATREON!!
Closed it.

Is it this hard for Americans to understand that they need a Youtuber to explain it? Fuck me.

At least it sucks a lot less than Mr. Robot.

this

If they did that then they wouldn't be able to do the whole "steal the lolipop" thing.

You forgot the best one of all.

>Vikings
Lagertha currently has the most territory.

>GoT
Two women vying for control of their world.

>Lucifer and Shameless, both shit but w/e
Both popular with lesbians.

>Archer
Shitty cartoon that critics love

>Hannibal.
The lesbian couple triumphs in the end.

I'm honestly not sure what point you were trying to make.

Honestly enslaving and raping cuties like that would be great

A man walking home from work gets fucked up the ass and you think that of me? No! I AM THE ONE WHO FUCKS!

Tarantino is a shit pusher and a very disturbed individual. Your post seemed to be implying that Tarantino is any good.

god i hate all this fucking dystopian shit
yes, technology has the potential to get bad, really bad
we get it
now start working on something actually original

San Junipero was the only one with an actual happy ending. That and Hang the DJ.

>"I as a technologist"

He deleted pussies and dicks from the simulation.

Kissing a woman was the ultimate transgression with which he was comfortable.

Like 90% of Sup Forums.

>S03E01
>Girl realises being yourself makes you happier than conforming to some regime. Doesn't care that she's in jail, she's happy and finds a partner.
>S03E04
>Can't remember fully but as you said it's happy
>S03E06
>Again can't fully remember but fairly sure it came to a predictable and satisfactory conclusion

>S04E01
>Dull and dreary hollywood structure- bad guy does bad things, good guys rebel, bad guy gets his just desserts. Wow fantastic writing, not predictable at all.
>S04E04
>Actually a good episode where the entire theme is happiness.
>S04E06
>Dull and dreary hollywood structure- bad guy does bad things, good guys rebel, bad guy gets his just desserts. Wow fantastic writing, not predictable at all

American production has driven this show deep into the ground along with all the other shitshows.

this is why we all watch anime instead

>American production

It freed him from a narrative constraint most Brits don't know what to do with.

Sometimes the 42 minute limit is a good thing.

>all
no

>BLACKED Mirror
Kill yourself Sup Forums

>t.haven't seen thos show
In the show, he collects random DNA samples from people who triggered him, and scans them to create digital copies of the people, so whether it is possible to store data in DNA is irrelevant.

Dont buy into this show, its nothing more that a shit show about tech that would never exist/used the way its shown in the show. But the worst part about it is how the show pushes that being a cheating whore should be the normal.

Almost every episode involves some fucking slut cheating on her man.

Don't fall for (((their))) shit

No, technologist is a degree in engineering technology.
You are defining an enthusiast at best.

He stole her pussy though...that was the red line.

t. roastie/fag project """""""manager"""""""