Why?

After turning speedstep and C-states off my CPU now shows as 3.98ghz in task manager, is this a bug or am I throttling myself?

HWmonitor still shows 4021mhz though so I'm not sure whats up.

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/customize/desktop/customize-power-slider
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Same behavior here. Task manager shows a bit lower speed than in HWInfo. Clock is gonna fluctuate a bit anyways, so who cares? Why wouldn't you use C-states and speedstep though, that's just silly.

it's completely normal
your BUS speed isn't 100.0, turn off spread spectrum in bios if you mobo allows it, other than that just forget about it

>Why wouldn't you use C-states and speedstep though, that's just silly.
Because I get random system freezes and this supposedly helps mitigate them on 6700k processors.

The clock doesn't fluctuate though, it just sits at a single clock (which is the point of speedstep) 3.98ghz.

Are you using the latest BIOS?
Also check updates for other drivers and run dpc latency checker

>Are you using the latest BIOS?
Yes

>Also check updates for other drivers and run dpc latency checker
What drivers do you suggest I look for? Its an Asus z170 pro gaming. I always keep my GPU drivers up to date.

Why did you do this? You know you can achieve the same result by setting the power management to "high performance" right? That mode specifically keeps processors in their fully-clocked state, among other things.

docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/customize/desktop/customize-power-slider

>In Windows 10 build 1709, power throttling is always engaged, unless the slider is set to Best Performance. In this case, all applications will be opted out of power throttling. Users can also opt individual apps out of power throttling in the Battery usage UX

Because I'd rather control it through my dedicated hardware instead of Microsoft.

Task Manager displays metric GHz which makes the number a bit smaller than normal GHz.

Well I updated the chipset and sata drivers to the latest but I doubt it's going to help.

It shouldn't randomly freeze at stock with c-states/speedstep. Something's wrong with your OS or CPU.

There's no way for me to induce it so I can't really diagnose it. Sometimes it happens once in a month or twice in a week. At this point I'm just trying to mitigate it.

Forgot to mention, after the hard system freeze I've got to hold the power button to turn it off and re boot it. It'll then give me the American megatrends screen and a message telling me it posted in safe mode. It probably is the CPU but I'm not sure what I can do about it.

What's your vcore? Are you ocing ram?

Stock and no, XMP not enabled and memtest86 for 5 hours shows no errors.

Maybe your board is not providing enough vcore though. What's the reading at idle and load?

That's a pretty low vcore. You could just have gotten unlucky with the CPU lottery. I'd try bumping it up a bit. You're not anywhere near the danger zone.

Give me a number to put in

Oh btw...are the freezes occurring at idle or under load?

Doesn't happen on my Ryzen® R7 1700

I would just go straight to 1.3 and see if that eliminates the crashes. No way a good CPU shouldn't work at 1.3 @ stock clocks. If that fixes it, adjust downwards from there.

Almost always during gaymen but that's because it's what the system is for. Has crashed during just web browsing a few times though

Does the patch normally flip the BIOS?

Look good?

It's a new Samshit feature

Oh and should I adjust the LLC?

Is this an S8 bug? Pictures I've taken on my S7 and uploaded directly to image boards come out the right way up.

Looks fine. LLC boosts voltage under load because vcore sags a bit in those conditions. It might be something to look at if you only had freezes under full load, but since you get it while web browsing too, I doubt it's the issue. There's no consistency to it right? Like particular games or software?

It's an S7

Ok this is what it reads now

Nope, completely random.

Og

ok, see if that lets you use c-states/speedstep. If it works, you can try adjusting vcore down a bit, since 1.3 may be more than you need.

Oh and my PSU should be fine it's a 750G2.*

Time to play the waiting game until it happens again. Have some lolis for your help.

1 Ghz = 1024 Mhz

I was going to keep them disabled until the system freezes again. If it does I'll disable them since they wouldn't be helping me.

Great, I helped a pedo. Never again, Sup Forums.

Some under load info before I go

Not OP but I actually never knew that.